• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurita

That is very crazy. I imagine he's actually earning a little bit more than that now because I'm pretty sure One Piece sales kept increasing in 2011.

The sales doubled between 2009 and 2010, and once again between 2010 and 2011.
It went like this :
2009 - 6 million
2010 - nearly 15 million
2011 - 38 million
2012 - 23,5 million

Akito

It's old news but

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2005-06-02/japanese-top-tax-payers

Once again, the Japanese National Tax Agency has released a list of the individuals who pay the most income tax in the country. The list has been released every year since 1984.

Based on the Tax Agency's records, the Mainichi Shinbum created a list of actors, singers, politicians, authors, and athletes, which includes manga-ka (as authors).

As in previous years, Rumiko Takahashi is the highest taxed anime or manga creator in Japan. In fact she was the second highest taxed individual on Mainichi's list, paying 142.7 million yen (US$1.3 million) in taxes in 2004.

Gosho Aoyama , who was also in the top 10 again this year, ranked the 5th highest taxed individual on the list, he paid 138.3 million yen in taxes in 2004.

Joining them in the top ten this year for the first time at 9th overall was Naruto creator Masashi Kishimoto, who paid 112.7 million yen in taxes.

Noted that is is from 2005. So yeah surprise, Kishi is also loaded as hell.

dumbyugi

The sales doubled between 2009 and 2010, and once again between 2010 and 2011.
It went like this :
2009 - 6 million
2010 - nearly 15 million
2011 - 38 million
2012 - 23,5 million

Is One Piece the best selling manga ever or is that still Dragonball? I think I recall reading that One Piece had passed Dragonball but I'm not sure.

EDIT: I looked it up and One Piece is the best selling manga of all time. I couldn't even begin to imagine the pressure he must be under.

Akito

Is One Piece the best selling manga ever or is that still Dragonball? I think I recall reading that One Piece had passed Dragonball but I'm not sure.
In Japan it has long surpassed DB (288 vs. 157 million) but DB supposedly sold over 350 million times world wide and because we don't have such number for OP, there's no definitive answer.

dumbyugi

I wonder if any series will ever be able to touch One Piece.

I'm sure people wondered this about Dragonball but then One Piece came out of nowhere to take the crown. I wouldn't expect anything for a long time though.

But France is no indication of the worldwide manga market. It's basically Japan-2, when it comes to manga.

It being Japan-2 means that manga actually sells enough to actually matter though.

Kurita

But, seriously, I think we need to keep an eye on Assassination Classroom, especially when it will get an anime. I can see it becoming even more popular.
Not One Piece-popular but still.

dumbyugi

But, seriously, I think we need to keep an eye on Assassination Classroom, especially when it will get an anime. I can see it becoming even more popular.
Not One Piece-popular but still.

I agree. I could see it easily outselling Bleach when it gets an anime.

C9nieVA.gif

Back to bed maybe next time I wake up this will make sense

Eyeshield 21 Chapter 7

Shin reminds me of another character so much but I just cant think of it, like he served as an inspiration for someone. Not being able to start is not good as I was curious what his skills are but at least Sakuraba will, hopefully hes truly a star and really phenomenal. Mamori is really annoying and I hope she leaves the plot, why so terrible to Hiruma, awful.

Twilight - Part 2
tumblr_mmy0zhoCum1qbxqfpo2_400.png

Young Kim continues to really make this a fantastic read. Such good artwork most of the times (one or two panels looked a bit too typical of a run of the mill shoujo art, kind of), but she always captures Edward so well. She even has him say the best lines. The little effects for most panels and pages, the touch of color here and their for special scenes and then just full scale color for the best moments work so well. Color for Carlisle's tragic backstory, and the rest of the family (he went through so much pain it seems, Edward too). Alice's backstory, though brief, was way depressing even if told from the tracker. Story is at times difficult for transitions, like it took me a while to realize they had actually did leave for Phoenix and then they just jumped to prom. Also there was too little Jacob :(. Will start New Moon part 1 soon.

Kurita

Eyeshield 21 Chapter 7

Shin reminds me of another character so much but I just cant think of it, like he served as an inspiration for someone. Not being able to start is not good as I was curious what his skills are but at least Sakuraba will, hopefully hes truly a star and really phenomenal. Mamori is really annoying and I hope she leaves the plot, why so terrible to Hiruma, awful.

Saw that coming.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Do you actually like any female characters DTL?

Genuinely curious because most of the time I read your impressions you seem to dislike the female leads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom