• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Wii is perfect if you've never owned a Nintendo console since the VC gives you access to several games that never appeared outside of Nintendo platforms but since it isn't yours and there's no account system...

Oh no, don't get me wrong. It's not like I don't know about Nintendo and their games. I just really don't care about them in any way and whenever I see some footage, I just shrug and move on. It's not like I'm a huge gamer anymore. My PS3 turned into a GT5 machine + wheel (it's the last PS3 game I bought and that came out in 2010) and my Steam account has about 100 games, 70 of them were never touched (damn summer sale) and the only game I'm playing these days is Skyrim (199 hours so far). I still like video games, some of them at least, and I like the industry, the next gen hype and the drama around it.

Only nintendo consoles I've owned are the handheld ones.

I usually find that's the best policy to follow.

Gameboy <3

Okay, maybe I should've said home consoles. I had a transparent GameBoy (Tetris, MegaMan and Wario), a purple Gameboy Color + Pokemon Red and a black DS Lite (pretty much only for Final Fantasy 3; total waste of money, is now with my ex).

But handhelds interest me even less these days. None of the games are very appealing.

I would too but 300$ just for Sonic, especially in the same year as a PS4 (I guess it will be $249.99, getting day 1) is a bit pricey for access to one game :(

Oh you.

fertygo

PS4 will cheaper than Vita?

There's bigger chance I'll become president tomorrow night.

But handhelds interest me even less these days. None of the games are very appealing.
OK, this thread shouldn't talk about video game.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Okay, maybe I should've said home consoles. I had a transparent GameBoy (Tetris, MegaMan and Wario), a purple Gameboy Color + Pokemon Red and a black DS Lite (pretty much only for Final Fantasy 3; total waste of money, is now with my ex).

Buy Monster hunter, get your weapons and armour.

Buy Fire Emblem, get your waifus and husbandos.

What more could one need?

OK, this thread shouldn't talk about video game.
I was talking about my point of view, obviously. I was hyped for the Vita, because of the tech inside and I'd like to play Gravity Rush, but other than that it literally has no games (for me). Zelda OoT 3DS got me a bit hyped for the 3DS, but that was mostly nostalgia that went away after E3 was over. None of the two have games that interest me.

Yeah, no way PS4 is less than 349.99 unless they subsidize it somehow.

Even that price is a big stretch.

Kusagari

I would too but 300$ just for Sonic, especially in the same year as a PS4 (I guess it will be $249.99, getting day 1) is a bit pricey for access to one game :(

td3Dyop_zpse18b008e.gif

Wiseblade

Do you guys think there will be multiple consoles again or Sony will consolidate behind one SKU?

I hope Sony learn the lesson of the Wii U that nobody wants to buy "budget" SKUs anymore. If they do release multiple bundles at launch, I expect one of them will be a subsidised, ad-supported version. Although that sounds a lot more like Microsoft territory.

Oh no, don't get me wrong. It's not like I don't know about Nintendo and their games. I just really don't care about them in any way and whenever I see some footage, I just shrug and move on. It's not like I'm a huge gamer anymore. My PS3 turned into a GT5 machine + wheel (it's the last PS3 game I bought and that came out in 2010) and my Steam account has about 100 games, 70 of them were never touched (damn summer sale) and the only game I'm playing these days is Skyrim (199 hours so far). I still like video games, some of them at least, and I like the industry, the next gen hype and the drama around it.

Fair enough. I could never spend as much on Skyrim but to each their own :p

I hope Sony learn the lesson of the Wii U that nobody wants to buy "budget" SKUs anymore. If they do release multiple bundles at launch, I expect one of them will be a subsidised, ad-supported version. Although that sounds a lot more like Microsoft territory.

Wasn't the Wii U PoorPeople a relatively bad bundle, compared to the Premium SKU? More storage options always make sense, like Whippy said.

bigkrev

I'm guessing 2 SKUs, with some amount of PS+ and HDD space being the separator.

Kusagari

I'm guessing 2 SKUs, with some amount of PS+ and HDD space being the separator.

Yeah, I'm guessing a $500 console with more space and 12 months of Plus. And a $400 console with less space and maybe 3/6 months of Plus.

450/550 seems too close to the infamous $599.

dramatis

Mutou Black 1 (raw)

I'm not sure if I like this kind of two page spread.

izpkX0PgiznAt.jpg

A bit of a blundering hillbilly, Yukiji Kurotsuki comes to Edo to run a dojo. What he proposes is a 'mutou' fighting style, a barehanded style with no need for weapons. Kurotsuki Dojo is open to teach Aikido.

Tsuguharu is an orphan, a student at the Ittouryuu-style Tsukami Dojo. He meets Yukiji when the man is out attempting to advertise his dojo.

The story is
Tsuguharu is being abused at the Tsukami Dojo, but sticks it out because he wants to learn the style there and become strong. Tsuguharu struggles in a society in which the losers are nobodies, trampled on by the weak. He objects to Yukiji's idealistic style of fighting, but in the end Yukiji cleans house at Tsukami Dojo and Tsuguharu becomes the first student at the Kurotsuki Dojo.

It's pretty run of the mill shounen. I like the beginning with the setup of a 'survival of the fittest' Edo society, but that stuff peters out quick in favor of some "My Parents Are Dead" drama. Some of the art is quite nice while still maintaining a bit of individual style. Seems like it will primarily be a combat manga though.

Tsuguharu actually feels like he's below the average Jump protagonist age, so I'm wondering if the series is aimed for younger kids. Assclass also has a teacher-student type deal going on, so maybe Jump editorial is trying to capitalize on that.

Recommendation level: I imagine there's not many manga about Aikido. But whereas the first chapter of Soul Catchers feels like it could go somewhere loony, Mutou Black feels like it's going to tread the same old.

Yeah, I'm guessing a $500 console with more space and 12 months of Plus. And a $400 console with less space and maybe 3/6 months of Plus.

450/550 seems too close to the infamous $599.

While I'm sure they want to avoid another $599 scenario, they already said that they won't take a huge hit this time, so $549 is still a possibility for the premium SKU.

If Sony was willing to take a loss and go 399 for the premium model and 199 + subscription for the base they could make a killing. Sadly It's mostly likely going to be 499

Mutou Black 1 (raw)

I'm not sure if I like this kind of two page spread.

http://i.minus.com/izpkX0PgiznAt.jpg[/ig]

A bit of a blundering hillbilly, Yukiji Kurotsuki comes to Edo to run a dojo. What he proposes is a 'mutou' fighting style, a barehanded style with no need for weapons. Kurotsuki Dojo is open to teach Aikido.

Tsuguharu is an orphan, a student at the Ittouryuu-style Tsukami Dojo. He meets Yukiji when the man is out attempting to advertise his dojo.

The story is [spoiler]Tsuguharu is being abused at the Tsukami Dojo, but sticks it out because he wants to learn the style there and become strong. Tsuguharu struggles in a society in which the losers are nobodies, trampled on by the weak. He objects to Yukiji's idealistic style of fighting, but in the end Yukiji cleans house at Tsukami Dojo and Tsuguharu becomes the first student at the Kurotsuki Dojo.[/spoiler]

It's pretty run of the mill shounen. I like the beginning with the setup of a 'survival of the fittest' Edo society, but that stuff peters out quick in favor of some "My Parents Are Dead" drama. Some of the art is quite nice while still maintaining a bit of individual style. Seems like it will primarily be a combat manga though.

Tsuguharu actually feels like he's below the average Jump protagonist age, so I'm wondering if the series is aimed for younger kids. Assclass also has a teacher-student type deal going on, so maybe Jump editorial is trying to capitalize on that.

Recommendation level: I imagine there's not many manga about Aikido. But whereas the first chapter of Soul Catchers feels like it could go somewhere loony, Mutou Black feels like it's going to tread the same old.[/QUOTE]

Mutou Black sounds pretty generic, and no weapons, only hand to hand? Probably would still follow it, I guess.

sony-patent-interactive-advertising-650x0.jpg

Sony patent <3

If Sony was willing to take a loss and go 399 for the premium model and 199 + subscription for the base they could make a killing. Sadly It's mostly likely going to be 499

Sony finally started to make some profit after 5 years. I think they want to keep it that way.

Wiseblade

so yeah mangas
Nice try.
Wasn't the Wii U PoorPeople a relatively bad bundle, compared to the Premium SKU? More storage options always make sense, like Whippy said.

Yeah, the basic package is basically a joke compared to premium. But I don't think confusing the marketplace with a bunch of SKUs is the answer. Better to just porvide on competitively priced box and allow people to plug in an external hard drive for the storage space they want.

They've taken a loss on every piece of hardware to date, why stop now?
Sony patent <3

That's downright dystopian.

Kusagari

Mutou Black sounds lame.

It will be interesting to see how the market reacts if Sony comes out at 400/500 and MS launches a Durango subscription model at $200 or so.

Antiwhippy

Mutou Black sounds lame.

It will be interesting to see how the market reacts if Sony comes out at 400/500 and MS launches a Durango subscription model at $200 or so.

Sony will just react with a subscription model for the PS4.

PS+ is actually a compelling service too.

Steroyd

I usually avoid series with female leads because they just seem dull, cant relate to the character so I cant get into the story unless there are other compelling characters that are just as prominent as the lead.

You keep saying this, and I still don't know what that means.

paJZ04Xl.jpg

I've seen wishful thinking before, but dayum!

Yeah, the basic package is basically a joke compared to premium. But I don't think confusing the marketplace with a bunch of SKUs is the answer. Better to just porvide on competitively priced box and allow people to plug in an external hard drive for the storage space they want.

I think Microsoft got it right with the Premium and Xbox Live SKU. People will gladly pay less upfront, even if it means paying 2 years for XBL.

dramatis

Mutou Black sounds pretty generic, and no weapons, only hand to hand? Probably would still follow it, I guess.

It looks cooler than you think. Everyone else has weapons, your protagonist doesn't, so there's a degree of tension (although not here since this is THE PROTAGONIST in the pilot chapter of his story). Part of aikido's schtick is using an opponent's offense against him.

Mutou Black seems to be heavy on the throws though.

Antiwhippy

It looks cooler than you think. Everyone else has weapons, your protagonist doesn't, so there's a degree of tension (although not here since this is THE PROTAGONIST in the pilot chapter of his story). Part of aikido's schtick is using an opponent's offense against him.

Mutou Black seems to be heavy on the throws though.

When I used to do Aikido throws were a pretty big focus at where I trained.

Also it's not a schtick, goddamnit, it's the whole philosophy of aikido. :p

dramatis

When I used to do Aikido throws were a pretty big focus at where I trained.

Also it's not a schtick, goddamnit, it's the whole philosophy of aikido. :p
Sorry :p

The main character was pretty much tossing dudes left and right when the action part came up. I think the art's decent so it was pretty presentable, but the story is definitely a 'meh'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom