• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreed

Toriko 226:

Just when I think I'm used to the over the top action of the Toriko universe, we get killer severed hair strands! There should be a contest/poll for crazy manga super powers between Jojo, Hunter X Hunter, One Piece, and Toriko.

Beelzebub 196:

This series of action chapters was better than the last set (simply because Oga actually got hit a few times), but it's still clear Tamura hasn't fully grasped how to build up a proper battle arc yet despite all the new powers and abilities he adds. But if author's going to insist of throwing action chapters in between the comedy chapters, at least he is trying to improve.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Toriko 226:

Just when I think I'm used to the over the top action of the Toriko universe, we get killer severed hair strands! There should be a contest/poll for crazy manga super powers between Jojo, Hunter X Hunter, One Piece, and Toriko.

I can't see how JoJo wouldn't win.

Toriko 226

The author really loves to give tommyrod the most batshit insane faces.

Moosichu

Beelzebub

New chapter was good. Not much progression but super milk time is always amusing.

Toriko

The numerical hyperbole in this series is always insane. Tommyrod has over one million eyes!

Azure J

Soul Eater 107

Didn't even know that this one came out and what a pleasant surprise. The art in this chapter was really well done. I love the sense of progression with our main trio so much. I also feel a little vindicated for entertaining the then pet theory that each of the younger main characters is a successor to a theme of madness with Maka's Knowledge, Kid's Order, and BlackStar's Power. Chrona is most definitely Terror, so who's Rage?

And as always, Soul Eater needs a second anime immediately.

Akito

I believe in World Trigger. No way Yuma Kuga is unpopular :3
I hate to break it to you but World Trigger will most likely not light the world on fire either, according to the amount of tweets it receives, it is as popular as the likes of Retsu!!! Date-senpai, Tamagahara, Sensei no Bulge or Hungry Joker. It's not guaranteed to fail but I'd place my bets somewhere else.

Beelzebub
Same old Beelzebub.

Akito

Damn, I don't think Murata had any sleep the last couple of days, it looks like a monster of a chapter which is coming (65 pages long and full color is the rumor).

Oh, I think this could be the cover for the 3rd volume.

iArp6qkMCh94R.png

survivor

Banned
Well, this is abrubt. JManga is going to shut down.

http://www.jmanga.com/urgent-message

Way, way more at the link.

It really sucks they won't let you download manga you already own.

I found this quote in the ANN article on the news pretty funny
JManga launched in August of 2011 as part of an initiative by the Digital Comics Association, an industry group of 39 Japanese publishers. It became a worldwide service last year.
39 publishers and all the big ones don't allow JManga to license their manga. So much for support.

dramatis

I hate to break it to you but World Trigger will most likely not light the world on fire either, according to the amount of tweets it receives, it is as popular as the likes of Retsu!!! Date-senpai, Tamagahara, Sensei no Bulge or Hungry Joker. It's not guaranteed to fail but I'd place my bets somewhere else.
None of the series serialized after AssClass seems to be able to light the world on fire. AssClass didn't either, until its first volume came out and sales shot through the roof of new manga. From the first chapters only, I think World Trigger is the most interesting of the bunch though. It'll make it to chapter 17 if only because everything serialized before it should be canceled first.

Jintor

Oneesan Teacher 14

The fact that every god damn male in this looks alike is a serious disadvantage when it comes to battle scenes

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
None of the series serialized after AssClass seems to be able to light the world on fire. AssClass didn't either, until its first volume came out and sales shot through the roof of new manga. From the first chapters only, I think World Trigger is the most interesting of the bunch though. It'll make it to chapter 17 if only because everything serialized before it should be canceled first.

You're forgetting Shokugeki no Soma, that's doing pretty well right now.
Really though, Soma is the only one of the eight manga introduced after AssClass that has a chance. Hell, two of those eight are already dead (Taka and Date-senpai)

Wiseblade

I can't see how JoJo wouldn't win.

Maybe it's because I've only ever read part of Stardust, but I think Devil Fruits and Nen abilities could give Stands a run for their money. Summoning Steamrollers is cool and all, but most don't seem to be on that level. While there are whole categories for overpowered DF and Nen Abilities.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Nah, Jojo powers get hella unique in parts 4 onwards. It'd easily win.
One guy can turn metal objects into balloon dogs that track your scent and bury inside your veins, exploding on command. And that's just scratching the surface.

Wiseblade

One guy can turn metal objects into balloon dogs that track your scent and bury inside your veins, exploding on command. And that's just scratching the surface.

Yeah, but OP has a guy that eat anything and either assimilate it into his body, or spit it out as some hybrid abomination. And then there's the guy who can carry around an entire army in his coat pocket, or the guy who can kick you at the speed of light or the guy who can transform into a dinosaur or the guy who can...

Kreed

Toriko character Sani just beat an opponent after the opponent took out a couple of hair strands from his head and Sani used the cut hair strands to paralyzed him (while said opponent was choking him to death with his still moving severed arm). Not saying that's better than metal balloon dogs, but I don't think it's an "easy" Jojo win.

Antiwhippy

Yeah, but OP has a guy that eat anything and either assimilate it into his body, or spit it out as some hybrid abomination. And then there's the guy who can carry around an entire army in his coat pocket, or the guy who can kick you at the speed of light or the guy who can transform into a dinosaur or the guy who can...

Jojo had an orangutan whose stand is a fucking ship. :p

Also josuke kinda has the same ability as the first one, except instead of eating stuff he punch people.

Gradivus

I liked Sensei no Bulge's opening chapter, but it just fell apart after that.

For me, the problem with Hungry Joker, World Trigger, Sensei no Bulge and Tamagahara were the slow pacing and boring character interactions.

For example... In World Trigger, the bully of the week events are getting the attention over those monsters which are meant to be the main deal. A massive waste of panels when you could be giving "Four eyes" and .3. some more interesting conversations between the two. Maybe even add in another character to spice the story up.

fertygo

Toriko character Sani just beat an opponent after the opponent took out a couple of hair strands from his head and Sani used the cut hair strands to paralyzed him (while said opponent was choking him to death with his still moving severed arm). Not saying that's better than metal balloon dogs, but I don't think it's an "easy" Jojo win.

How Toriko's guy beat dude that can stip time?

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
People who read Jojo plus Toriko and One Piece, like myself, know Jojo wins this. Not to say the other two are bland and uncreative, but Jojo's basic structure is similar to "monster of the week", with a bit of plot in between. Obviously, to keep this from getting stale, Araki needs to create all sorts of strange powers to keep readers interested.

For other examples, there's a guy who commands rods that fly at the speed of light and survive off body heat. He can target a specific organ's heat to lower, causing the victim to develop a terminal disease.
There's a guy who brings fictional characters to life who re-enact their stories. If you have a fondness for the story, your dragged in and turned into one of the victims of the tale. There's no escape, as no matter what you try, the story must always be completed the way it was told.
And as for Drake turning into a dinosaur? Well, there's a guy who can do that plus turn anything else, dead or alive, into his dinosaur army and command each individual mentally.

Kreed

Jojo had an orangutan whose stand is a fucking ship. :p

Also josuke kinda has the same ability as the first one, except instead of eating stuff he punch people.

LOL, Part 3 had some great abilities.

How Toriko's guy beat dude that can stip time?

I already said Jojo characters win in power (especially since the mangas treat death differently with Jojo > Hunter X Hunter > Toriko = One Piece accordingly in regards to characters dying). I'm just talking about originality/uniqueness.

I liked Sensei no Bulge's opening chapter, but it just fell apart after that.

For me, the problem with Hungry Joker, World Trigger, Sensei no Bulge and Tamagahara were the slow pacing and boring character interactions.

For example... In World Trigger, the bully of the week events are getting the attention over those monsters which are meant to be the main deal. A massive waste of panels when you could be giving "Four eyes" and .3. some more interesting conversations between the two. Maybe even add in another character to spice the story up.

I dont think the first arc of Hungry Joker really had slow pacing, you had the huge set piece, the huge enemy and gigantic skyscraper levitation, and even Kild and the antagonists being introduced.

There was no bully of the week in 4 and 5 of World Trigger.

Antiwhippy

Also, might seem pretty basic, but I love that Joseph's stand has an ability to take faraway pictures by destroying expansive cameras.

survivor

Banned
All the new manga after Assassination Classroom look so bad and unoriginal. Not that Ass Class is any better right now, but at least it had a creative premise.

Gradivus

All the new manga after Assassination Classroom look so bad and unoriginal. Not that Ass Class is any better right now, but at least it had a creative premise.
Original isn't always = better, but they do need some new ideas that would actually rock the boat.

I dont think the first arc of Hungry Joker really had slow pacing, you had the huge set piece, the huge enemy and gigantic skyscraper levitation, and even Kild and the antagonists being introduced.

There was no bully of the week in 4 and 5 of World Trigger.

Well if we used One Piece's chapter 1.

We had an introduction to Luffy & Shanks.
Gold Roger's One Piece.
Luffy getting saved by Shanks at the cost of an arm.

Not to say everyone should copy this, but it just felt like in the first chapter of Hungry Joker there wasn't that much to be excited about.

People were actually happy with 4/5 of World trigger, but the mangaka could had really put those actions scenes into Chapter 1/2 instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom