• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivor

Banned
Just saw some manga announcements from Mantova Comics here in Italy.
Looks like I'll be able to grab Alice in Hell by Jiro Matsumoto.
Velvet Kiss has been licensed over here too (so I'll have to double dip on it).
Another manga by Ayuko (which I adore), Mou Tamago wa Korosanai, is getting published.
Sun Ken Rock's special about Yumin will be published (and it'll be the only Sun Ken Rock thing I'll buy lol).

Also some info.
Binbogami and Virgin's Empire are not doing well here (which I find really sad). Haganai is doing quite well instead.
Moyashimon's author wants to control a certain number of elements before each volume is given the go ahead to be published, but the next 3 volumes should be published this year, and that' already promising.
Attack No.1 didn't perform too well, but it didnt do too bad either, so the editor is interested in picking the sequels.
Did most of Jiro Matsumoto's other manga get picked up? I wonder if you guys will ever get Joshi Kouhei. It has cool covers and I really want to read more info about it.
full2yk1j.jpg

It's really funny how Assassination Classroom is beating Toriko right now and that manga received no anime hype yet.
A lot of things beat Toriko especially in pure per volume sales. WSJ is just desperate for any series to pick up the slack once OP, Naruto, HxH, and Bleach are gone (all will be done within a decade and given that WSJ has had trouble finding successful series in the past decade, life after their current best selling series has to be frightening already). The best they can do is wait another year or so then boost sales by restarting the Bleach anime or continuing off and animating the final arc.

Toriko 174

The 4 heavenly kings are all together again, looks like things are about to get crazy

A lot of things beat Toriko especially in pure per volume sales. WSJ is just desperate for any series to pick up the slack once OP, Naruto, HxH, and Bleach are gone (all will be done within a decade and given that WSJ has had trouble finding successful series in the past decade, life after their current best selling series has to be frightening already). The best they can do is wait another year or so then boost sales by restarting the Bleach anime or continuing off and animating the final arc.

Don't doubt the powers of Togashi to make HxH last another 20 years and only give us 100 more chapters

dramatis

I thought WSJ line-up looking good in sales power

AssClass and Kuroko on 400-800k territory now.

Nisekoi can explode to 300k when its getting anime like TLR, Haikyuu might repeat Kuroko's success with anime. They can settle for awhile.
I don't think Nisekoi will reach 300k (for initial sales at least), even with an anime. It seems like you can't sell at or above 300k without a large female audience, and Nisekoi probably doesn't have a big female audience. Haikyuu will probably replicate Kuroko's success with an anime, but it probably won't do as well nor would it be a sales replacement for something like Bleach.

Gradivus

Some editors in the past stated they're a bit worry to think what would happen when One Piece is finished.

Maybe its just me but /i am at the part in the Toriko anime where Zebra is released and I find it very funny we have economic expert predicting a shrink in the global economy base on the existence of one guy.

Akito

Haikyuu 3
Tanaka is a very cool dude and quite funny with the faces he pulls. Daichi seems like the calm but scheming captain.

Erigu

It doesn't change anything I said.
Sure, it does.
Just who the hell were you talking about?
"There's a difference between less deadly deadlines and not working on your work for a year, releasing a chapter or two and then taking another break."
Togashi has been releasing new episodes by packs of 10 or 20 for the last few years, so I imagine that was about Miura.

Check the release dates of the Berserk volumes.
Back when the series was being serialized at its normal pace, there were 2 volumes a year. That lasted until volume 31 / 2006 (such a lazy bum, I bet he's gonna argue he got older or something ridiculous like that). Then, the pace dropped to one volume a year until volume 36 / 2011. It got a bit slower in 2012 (the year of the new movies), but that's fairly recent, and not-entitled-at-all scan readers had already been calling him lazy for quite a while before that (despite the fact that was just half the regular pace, like I said earlier).
Just when did that "not working for a year" thing ever happen, then?

Stinky

Got to the part of Magi you guys had a bet going for.

I wont say it was obvious that
rukh properties
would be picked, but I wasn't surprised either.

Wiseblade

Some editors in the past stated they're a bit worry to think what would happen when One Piece is finished.

As they should be. Without Mega-Hits like OP and DB, Jump's lineup looks really mediocre. nobody's going to buy the magazine just to read Beelzebub or Medaka Box.

As they should be. Without Mega-Hits like OP and DB, Jump's lineup looks really mediocre. nobody's going to buy the magazine just to read Beelzebub or Medaka Box.

Considering OP will probably last another 7-10 years I have a hard time imagining Jump won't find a real "next bit thing" to take over once OP finally ends.

The more I hear about Zebra the more awesome he gets, countries stopping their wars to prepare for his release, just how frigging powerful is he!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Random Bleach question - why didn't anyone recognize Isshin when he showed up during that big fight with Aizen a couple of arcs ago if he's a former Captain (and not even from that long ago)?

Stinky

The Saint Oniisan anime looks incredible

Random Bleach question - why didn't anyone recognize Isshin when he showed up during that big fight with Aizen a couple of arcs ago if he's a former Captain (and not even from that long ago)?

My memory is fuzzy but doesnt he just show up when it was just Ichigo and Aizen are fighting, and everyone else was gone?

Speaking of which, where WAS everyone gone? They can't all have been KO'd

survivor

Banned
Sadly not. The only other manga of his we have here that I know about is Freesia.
Ha, the US got Velveteen & Mandala while you guys didn't.

US - 1
Italy - too depressing to keep count of :(

Oh, survivor, about Nodame Cantabile : if you want to start the series, you should check the drama, it's a really good adaptation. They nailed the tone of the manga.
First Mother, then Nodame Cantabile

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Everyone was knocked the fuck out - literally. Besides Ichigo, Aizen, and Gin.

The altercation between Aizen/Gin & Ichigo/Isshin before they went into the Dangai probably took an actual total of like 5 minutes. So they were long gone from FKT pretty quickly.

The Saint Oniisan anime looks incredible

My memory is fuzzy but doesnt he just show up when it was just Ichigo and Aizen are fighting, and everyone else was gone?

Speaking of which, where WAS everyone gone?

Basically all the captains/vice captains minus Ichigo and Yamato went crazy on Aizen only to be Aizen trolled and realize they were attaking Momo. Aizen then beats all and Yamamoto attacks, Aizen sends the last Arracar who was designed to battle Yamamoto. Yamamoto wins the fight but is drained, this is when Ichigo jumps in and Aizen and he begin to fight. Their fight takes them away from all the beaten captains/vice captains and it's around then that Ichigo's dad shows up.

Check out chapter 390-398

Edit: Stat Flow beat me to it

Stinky

Basically all the captains/vice captains minus Ichigo and Yamato went crazy on Aizen only to be Aizen trolled and realize they were attaking Momo. Aizen then beats all and Yamamoto attacks, Aizen sends the last Arracar who was designed to battle Yamamoto. Yamamoto wins the fight but is drained, this is when Ichigo jumps in and Aizen and he begin to fight. Their fight takes them away from all the beaten captains/vice captains and it's around then that Ichigo's dad shows up.

Check out chapter 390-398

Edit: Stat Flow beat me to it

I remember all this now, thank you. The really absent minded kid arrancar Aizen designed to get rid of Yamamoto blew my mind when it happened.

I remember Hiyori getting cut in half and then being fine because of Orihime's retcon powers haha.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I remember all this now, thank you. The really absent minded kid arrancar Aizen designed to get rid of Yamamoto blew my mind when it happened.

I remember Hiyori getting cut in half and then being fine because of Orihime's retcon powers haha.

That kid wasn't absent minded, he was literally retarded. It was rather blatantly offensive.

Akito

Haikyuu 9
Really liked the match. The fact that the score wasn't shown until near the end was beneficial to the Kageyama-Hinata build up. The limited panels with Tanaka on were mostly hilarious.
Cute female (megane) manager: check.

Angry Grimace

Can you name another manga to have a mentally ill character who was that powerful? I'm actually curious if one exist

Not to my knowledge, but Kubo made it pretty clear he was just supposed to be a riff on a developmentally disabled person with random violent tendencies.

Angry Grimace

Oh... I see :/

I'm not easily offended, I just thought the entire character concept was in really poor taste. There's a million ways Kubo could have implemented that character without making him a caricature of a retarded kid.

Not to my knowledge, but Kubo made it pretty clear he was just supposed to be a riff on a developmentally disabled person with random violent tendencies.

This raises an interesting question: Is it better to pretend that these people don't exist and avoid portraying them at all? If not, how should they be portrayed so as not to be offensive? Is it possible to portray one in a battle manga without being offensive?

Of course this is Kubo so I doubt the question ever occurred to him. Not that this is saying much, but I thought Wonderweiss was more rational (clear motivations and actions that are guided by said motivations, ie. cool hat I want it) and sympathetic than the average Bleach character.

Angry Grimace

This raises an interesting question: Is it better to pretend that these people don't exist and avoid portraying them at all? If not, how should they be portrayed so as not to be offensive? Is it possible to portray one in a battle manga without being offensive?

Of course this is Kubo so I doubt the question ever occurred to him. Not that this is saying much, but I thought Wonderweiss was more rational (clear motivations and actions that are guided by said motivations, ie. cool hat I want it) and sympathetic than the average Bleach character.

Sure you could, by not making them a shallow caricature.

I'll freely admit I don't remember much of the character arc beyond the obvious riff. Its possible I've simply forgotten a bunch of character development.

Perhaps you could have the character be mind washed into fighting after becoming friends with the main cast and choosing not to fight or questioning why they have to fight. Or perhaps take of mice and men approach having the mentally ill character kill someone not realizing their own strength vs the weakness of the person they were "playing with"

survivor

Banned
Summer Wars: King Kazuma vs Queen Ozu vol 1

Ok finally managed to finish the first volume and either the art got a little better or I got used to its ugliness. It's funny how they are talking about the whole online addiction vs the real world themes in this manga and what Kazuma should pick when seeing him in original story, you would say he was very engrossed in Oz and ignored the real world.

I wonder what sort of backstory the Queen character would get and what would explain her absence from the original story. I'm sure that virus item will probably end up trying to destroy Oz and she will sacrifice her character to save it or something like that.

Natsuki already made an appearance in the manga, I hope Kenji or Wabisuke will get mentioned as well next volume.

Angry Grimace

I don't know. Stereotypes and caricatures aren't exactly uncommon in manga, but there just seemed to be something about Wonderweiss that seemed like it was in really poor taste. I mean, Killer Bee is pretty much a black guy stereotype (i.e. big buff black dude that literally speaks in nothing but rap-lyrics) and I never really mentally flagged the character as offensive.

Yonafunu

I literally never thought about Wonderweiss this way. Not the retarded part, obviously, but the violent tendencies. I guess it's because Bleach is a battle manga; everybody's violent.

sooo gooood

I don't know. Stereotypes and caricatures aren't exactly uncommon in manga, but there just seemed to be something about Wonderweiss that seemed like it was in really poor taste. I mean, Killer Bee is pretty much a black guy stereotype (i.e. big buff black dude that literally speaks in nothing but rap-lyrics) and I never really mentally flagged the character as offensive.

I dunno about you but I was more just annoyed by the character being fucking annoying to be bothered with how much of a blatant stereotype he was.

I've read articles on related subjects before. (erasure versus misrepresentation/stereotyping)

The general reaction is: Neither choice is "better" and there's something wrong in a medium when these are the only choices available.

That being said, certain authors should just stay far far far away from trying to portray any marginalized group or people, because their portrayal is so clearly negative that it can bring nothing good to the table. (including a mentally disabled character just to make fun of them is just gross and clearly a bad idea.)

Angry Grimace

Who cares if Bleach has plotholes? It's not the type of manga where that stuff matters.

I wasn't pointing out a plothole, I just didn't remember what was happening there. Without having read it in a year or two, it does seem a little implausible every single character would be incapacitated right then (but hell, I don't even remember WHEN Isshin showed up, was it after Aizen had already left to the Real town?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom