• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

LOL, Part 3 had some great abilities.

I already said Jojo characters win in power (especially since the mangas treat death differently with Jojo > Hunter X Hunter > Toriko = One Piece accordingly in regards to characters dying). I'm just talking about originality/uniqueness.

JoJo is nothing in power level, most fighter is ordinary people that know almost nothing about fighting hand-to-hand, its just their abilities that ridiculous. Maybe HxH is the strongest one, because its combination of super fighter + Nen Jojo-esque special abilities.

If we talking about uniqueness, JoJo win.

Now in JoJo the abilities are nothing close to usual shounen abilities again, such like element user, black hole, and thing you'd see in 2D fighter.

Araki creating abilities that you must research in wiki, such like science, math, or bactery phenomenon. Nothing close to that in other manga that you mention.

jmanga shutting down is pretty upsetting. I don't miss the service - how can you not expect to succeed if your service basically requires an XBL points subscription? - but because of the english manga that is now going to disappear off the map with no other way to read it.

There are series on there that I would have paid to read but honestly never expected to see them carry because the service was so awful when it started.

(I guess I would have paid only grudgingly though, web only reading is horrible. Hard to expect less than what Viz's platform provides.)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nobunaga no Chef 2

Who knew food could lead to political drama?

ZdhPcaX.png

Interested to see what the significance of serving a Portuguese dish is.

Original isn't always = better, but they do need some new ideas that would actually rock the boat.

Well if we used One Piece's chapter 1.

We had an introduction to Luffy & Shanks.
Gold Roger's One Piece.
Luffy getting saved by Shanks at the cost of an arm.

Not to say everyone should copy this, but it just felt like in the first chapter of Hungry Joker there wasn't that much to be excited about.

People were actually happy with 4/5 of World trigger, but the mangaka could had really put those actions scenes into Chapter 1/2 instead.

I still don't get how Shanks lost an arm to a shark. While not being the super pirate he's now, he was still a big deal back then, wasn't he?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I have the first episode of the Nobunaga No Chef drama, need to watch it today.
It's basically Jin w/food right?

Seems that way so far, yeah.

There's absolutely no explanation of the time travel though. Doesn't actually seem to factor into the story much other than 2 modern chefs suddenly appeared in feudal japan.

Also looking into the author apparently he does a lot of food mangas which hasn't been translated yet. We need more food mangas damnit.

Gradivus

Right, but like you said, they need something that just stands out and doesn't look like your average B tier battle shounen

In your opinion, what kind of uniqueness would be looking out for a title to get out of a B tier battle shounen?

Seeming the recent ones from Jump just like to have power user vs power user. Changing something about this would probably help set yourself out apart from others.

Quite sure the translator for Assassination Classroom and Haikyuu!! focuses more on Haikyuu!! first.
Is that so? I could only take a wild guess cause I don't follow the series.

Gradivus

I still don't get how Shanks lost an arm to a shark. While not being the super pirate he's now, he was still a big deal back then, wasn't he?

Yeah, it was good at the start when you didn't know Shanks influence as of yet, other that "why didn't he just kick the crap out of it instead?" would had been a better ending to make it more consistent storywise than something thats used for impact to get the readers to care for the two.

Kreed

JoJo is nothing in power level, most fighter is ordinary people that know almost nothing about fighting hand-to-hand, its just their abilities that ridiculous. Maybe HxH is the strongest one, because its combination of super fighter + Nen Jojo-esque special abilities.

If we talking about uniqueness, JoJo win.

Now in JoJo the abilities are nothing close to usual shounen abilities again, such like element user, black hole, and thing you'd see in 2D fighter.

Araki creating abilities that you must research in wiki, such like science, math, or bactery phenomenon. Nothing close to that in other manga that you mention.

That's not what I mean by power. I know Jojo's characters don't always have abilities that allow them to "blow up the moon", but the abilities regularly are far deadlier than the three other mangas I mentioned. That's why I clarified because if you discussed the effectiveness of killing someone/defeating someone with the abilities, the abilities of characters like Law in One Piece wouldn't stand a hells chance against even the weakest Jojo character abilities. It's like comparing Luffy to Mr. Fantastic. Most would say Luffy is better than Mr. Fantastic power wise since he is more versatile with his stretching because of the nature of One Piece vs a Marvel series. But they are both stretching abilities, so originality wise they are the same IMO.

All the new manga after Assassination Classroom look so bad and unoriginal. Not that Ass Class is any better right now, but at least it had a creative premise.

That's what happens when mangas like Double Arts get canceled and series like Nisekoi become hits.

Gradivus

That's what happens when mangas like Double Arts get canceled and series like Nisekoi become hits.

From what I've read, some people felt like Double Arts didn't know where to go with the story (I would have to read it for myself to find out) so that could be a reason into why it got the axe.

Akito

From what I've read, some people felt like Double Arts didn't know where to go with the story (I would have to read it for myself to find out) so that could be a reason into why it got the axe.
Nah, it was more like it didn't even get the chance to go anywhere.

survivor

Banned
In your opinion, what kind of uniqueness would be looking out for a title to get out of a B tier battle shounen?

Seeming the recent ones from Jump just like to have power user vs power user. Changing something about this would probably help set yourself out apart from others.
If you look at the ones that aren't action heavy then there isn't much they can do unless go all out with a crazy fantasy premise like Ass Class. Outside of that, most of them (Nisekoi, Koisome Momiji, Kurogane, Pajama) just feel like they are held back by their own demographic tropes and go the typical romcom route with bad writing. One particular recent non battle WSJ manga that I liked was Enigma and that's because I was fond of the initial setup. The story did get too ridiculous and stupid near the end.

As for battle manga, I don't know what you can do to stand out. You gotta involve superpowers or else nobody will care about reading it. Though I will say that I will take a millions Beelzebub/Medaka Box over Barrage/Magico/Takamagahara and I don't even like Beelzebub/Medaka Box anymore.

It had a good premise and was decent, but I'm sure Naoshi would have found a way to fuck it up if it didn't get cancelled.

Gradivus

As for battle manga, I don't know what you can do to stand out. You gotta involve superpowers or else nobody will care about reading it. Though I will say that I will take a millions Beelzebub/Medaka Box over Barrage/Magico/Takamagahara and I don't even like Beelzebub/Medaka Box anymore.

Yeah, Jump will be kicking themselves once Naruto and Bleach finish going by the looks of it. It terribly hard for them to find something that will appeal to the kids nowdays just cause no one has a clue on what makes them "different" from the other titles. Even with Toriko getting overhyped, it still hasn't caught up to Bleach's current sales.

Akito

Cyborg Jiichan G (end)
Well, the silly formula did not change much till the end maybe aside from the somewhat serious flashback near the end. It was interesting to see what Obata was capable of as a writer and that his art was already great even back then but I don't think that you miss out much if you haven't read it. But did I have fun with it? Absolutely.
One word of warning, there were more naked saggy boobs of old woman than I've ever seen in my life.

fertygo

Yeah, Jump will be kicking themselves once Naruto and Bleach finish going by the looks of it. It terribly hard for them to find something that will appeal to the kids nowdays just cause no one has a clue on what makes them "different" from the other titles. Even with Toriko getting overhyped, it still hasn't caught up to Bleach's current sales.

I thought WSJ line-up looking good in sales power

AssClass and Kuroko on 400-800k territory now.

Nisekoi can explode to 300k when its getting anime like TLR, Haikyuu might repeat Kuroko's success with anime. They can settle for awhile.

Mayonaka no Oyatsu 1
tumblr_mjnpy55i5R1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Azuma has a really good personality and gave so many good moments with Taira (Taira's faces were hilarious), his younger nephew by eight years who he was taking care of for a few weeks. Liked how well they got along and just Taira's growing adoration for Azuma and Azuma likewise. Best moment easily was when Taira used his martial arts skills to fend off a dude who was gonna beat Azuma up. Ah as well as the initial sharing the bed scene and then kiss/promise there. His four years later version is shocking, need the next chapter now.

survivor

Banned

It's really funny how Assassination Classroom is beating Toriko right now and that manga received no anime hype yet.

Kurita

Nisekoi can explode to 300k when its getting anime like TLR, Haikyuu might repeat Kuroko's success with anime. They can settle for awhile.

True.
AssClass, Haikyuu!!, Nisekoi, PSI Kusuo Saiki and maybe Shokugeki No Soma are the new solid "mid-tier" series (well, AssClass is more than a mid-tier manga now, it's their new powerhouse).

Oh, survivor, about Nodame Cantabile : if you want to start the series, you should check the drama, it's a really good adaptation. They nailed the tone of the manga.

Gradivus

Its not horrible, but AssClass doesn't seem to be one of those titles that will last 10 years like Naruto, DBZ, Bleach, One Piece, etc. Like after DBZ died off Jump lost a huge amount of sales until One Piece came and steadied the ship.

It's really funny how Assassination Classroom is beating Toriko right now and that manga received no anime hype yet.
AssClass X One Piece special in the works as we speak :p

Akito

Haikyuu oneshot
That was kinda dull, it reminds me greatly of Slam Dunk with the whole "MC is a friggin' noob who happens to be able to jump very high" trope and a little bit of Kuroko because it emphasizes on how he only can play well because there's someone else specifically supporting him. There was not much more to it.
Let's hope the series makes it better.

Kurita

Haikyuu oneshot
That was kinda dull, it reminds me greatly of Slam Dunk with the whole "MC is a friggin' noob who happens to be able to jump very high" trope and a little bit of Kuroko because it emphasizes on how he only can play well because there's someone else specifically supporting him. There was not much more to it.
Let's hope the series makes it better.
The series is better, don't worry.

Its not horrible, but AssClass doesn't seem to be one of those titles that will last 10 years like Naruto, DBZ, Bleach, One Piece, etc. Like after DBZ died off Jump lost a huge amount of sales until One Piece came and steadied the ship.

AssClass X One Piece special in the works as we speak :p

I think theres numerous ways the writer could extend Assassination Classroom to last ten years. Endless possibilities for introducing numerous groups of increasingly powerful entities that wanna kill Kurosensei, introduce tons of transfer students.

Gradivus

I think theres numerous ways the writer could extend Assassination Classroom to last ten years. Endless possibilities for introducing numerous groups of increasingly powerful entities that wanna kill Kurosensei, introduce tons of transfer students.

There is, but I believed he stated that he wants it to last as he originally planned even with the surprising popularity that came with it, which is good for his case.

dat decline
Wow, didn't know Shonen Magazine was still above them around the early 2000's. Nowdays Jumps around the 2.8 million mark from what I've read.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NEBU_KURO/status/311506965127913473?p=v
It seems the next One Punch Man Chapter will be completely full coloured with 65 pages.

survivor

Banned
Wow, didn't know Shonen Magazine was still above them around the early 2000's. Nowdays Jumps around the 2.8 million mark from what I've read.
Yep, WSJ is at 2.8 million right now. The other shounen magazines

Weekly Shonen Jump (Shueisha) 2,827,693
Weekly Shonen Magazine (Kodansha) 1,404,834
Monthly Shonen Magazine (Kodansha) 724,667
Coro Coro Comic (Shogakukan) 630,000
Weekly Shonen Sunday (Shogakukan) 520,334
Jump Square (Shueisha) 345,000
Bessatsu Coro Coro Comic Special (Shogakukan) 145,000
Ultra Jump (Shueisha) 66,667
Gessan (Shogakukan) 65,000
Magazine Special (Kodansha) 60,667
Shonen Ace (Kadokawa Shoten) 52,667
Monthly Shonen Rival (Kodansha) 49,125
Shonen Sunday Super (Shogakukan) 32,334
Dragon Age (Fujimi Shobo) 23,000
Sunday GX (Shogakukan) 19,000
Monthly Shonen Sirius (Kodansha) 11,167
link

Lain

Just saw some manga announcements from Mantova Comics here in Italy.
Looks like I'll be able to grab Alice in Hell by Jiro Matsumoto.
Velvet Kiss has been licensed over here too (so I'll have to double dip on it).
Another manga by Ayuko (which I adore), Mou Tamago wa Korosanai, is getting published.
Sun Ken Rock's special about Yumin will be published (and it'll be the only Sun Ken Rock thing I'll buy lol).

Also some info.
Binbogami and Virgin's Empire are not doing well here (which I find really sad). Haganai is doing quite well instead.
Moyashimon's author wants to control a certain number of elements before each volume is given the go ahead to be published, but the next 3 volumes should be published this year, and that' already promising.
Attack No.1 didn't perform too well, but it didnt do too bad either, so the editor is interested in picking the sequels.

Erigu

There's a difference between less deadly deadlines and not working on your work for a year, releasing a chapter or two and then taking another break.
You don't think Togashi wrote the latest 20 episodes in real time, do you?
And Miura was being called a lazy bum as he was just working at half the pace he used to be working 15 years ago.

Akito

The series is better, don't worry.
Yeah, the first chapter was already miles better than the oneshot. MC is no longer a noob and it's great to let him and the other dude (I'll get the names eventually) play at least one match before throwing together in the same team. There were also some really great panels.

Gradivus

Yeah, it just seems to be the internet kicking in to gear by then (people prefer reading the latest chapters online, while still buying the volumes later).

Soriku

There's a guy who brings fictional characters to life who re-enact their stories. If you have a fondness for the story, your dragged in and turned into one of the victims of the tale. There's no escape, as no matter what you try, the story must always be completed the way it was told.

Sounds awesome. The anime needs to keep going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom