• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

upandaway

Medaka Box

That should have been the end, it brought full circle the plot and resolved everything. The fact there is going to be a "next arc" is stupid how do you even possibly raise the stakes now?
Haha okay wait a sec, I need to prepare myself mentally to reply to this *ahem* lol

Medaka Box

That should have been the end, it brought full circle the plot and resolved everything. The fact there is going to be a "next arc" is stupid how do you even possibly raise the stakes now ?
We totally never EVER said this about a Medaka Box climax, what are you talking about

ヽ(`~´;)

Dresden

Eh I finished it a year ago it's not that horrid. It's just really smutty and ridiculous. And sometimes really funn- Wait a second, DRESDEN! You jerk! So THAT'S how this manga got in my wishlist....

lol

I doubt it though, I don't think I've ever talked about it here before (and I never got past chapter 15 or so).

---

akb49 - 118

I'm sure this is yet another false alarm but still, OH SHIT STORM GATHERS ETC

FYC

Banned
I kind of want to read Fairy Tail because of all the ridiculous things I've heard about it.

If it's better than Hitman Reborn, I'd be down.

Kusagari

The vitriol I'm seeing thrown toward this Fairy Tail chapter almost makes me want to pick it back up.

Considering everyone knows by now that the same old bullshit will happen every Fairy Tail arc, this chapter must be amazingly bad.

I kind of want to read Fairy Tail because of all the ridiculous things I've heard about it.

If it's better than Hitman Reborn, I'd be down.

No. Reborn is alright but the ending is utter shit. Reborn is much better, but FT should not be taking seriously. Power of friendship destroys all.

The vitriol I'm seeing thrown toward this Fairy Tail chapter almost makes me want to pick it back up.

Considering everyone knows by now that the same old bullshit will happen every Fairy Tail arc, this chapter must be amazingly bad.

This and last week chapters are by far the worst in the series.

FYC

Banned
No. Reborn is alright but the ending is utter shit. Reborn is much better, but FT should not be taking seriously. Power of friendship destroys all.

Amen brother. One of the worst endings I've ever seen, I was in disbelief while it was happening.

For the record, I liked Reborn during the Mukuro arc and loved the Varia arc, but I thought everything else was awful.

Edit: This video is hilarious, and I don't even know what he's talking about :lol

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best

I think this guy says it best -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB_UJ1_ZQMw

Fairy Tail's gone beyond bad. It's just plain insulting to everyone who put the time into reading it.

Amen brother. One of the worst endings I've ever seen, I was in disbelief while it was happening.

For the record, I liked Reborn during the Mukuro arc and loved the Varia arc, but I thought everything else was awful.

Edit: This video is hilarious, and I don't even know what he's talking about :lol

I actually liked the last arc with the rainbow kids, but the ending. God, the ending. The previous arc was also decent.

dumbyugi

Touch ch1-29

This has been pretty good so far. I'm not going to comment on anything that much yet but I've been enjoying it so far. I only really have one complaint so far and that's with the expressions of the characters. None of the characters seem to show any emotions except happy or blank. Even when the characters are clearly supposed to be mad it never really comes through in the art.

Haha okay wait a sec, I need to prepare myself mentally to reply to this *ahem* lol

We totally never EVER said this about a Medaka Box climax, what are you talking about

ヽ(`~´;)

This was the first time I experience once live as it happened, when marathoning you don't think about "is this going to be the end" because you already know there are 30+ chapters to read

upandaway

This was the first time I experience once live as it happened, when marathoning you don't think about "is this going to be the end" because you already know there are 30+ chapters to read
Yeah I know, It's really fun seeing people go through the same reaction every time

Dresden

yongbi the invincible - 56

Damn, that was good.

BJ9rs0L.png

Of course in typical Yongbi fashion you get this right afterward; at least it wasn't the author himself peeling back the page to break the fourth wall, as he's fond of doing.

My favorite martial art comic right now, and it should be fully translated (the series is done and they have all the volumes). Good times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUg7wD7QDV4

I can´t wait for his rage on Sting surrounding :D

A 25 minute review on such a great chapter of fairytail? I can never understand how people can hate the power of friendship and friendship speeches. People dont want to feel good or something, do they hate their friends?

Left the video since I matched the criteria for all things except thinking Lucy is a great character (people think this?)

Comparisons were really awkward.

Berserk 5-6 (Volume 3)

rmWMdCL.jpg

Really good fight. It was good to see Gutts struggling against the snail count, instead of just going "hurr durr, big sword, slash, win". Taking Theresia hostage and finishing of the count with multiple stabs to the head, right in front of his daughter, seems exactly like the asshole thing he would do and for no reason at all! Completely ruthless. Awakening the Behelit didn't seem part of his plan, thought. Is it bad that the first thing I thought off, when I saw the dimension, was Final Fantasy 7 instead of Escher? Anyway, can't wait to find out who that gang is.

Also, I could've done without the elf. Puck is simply annoying and it feels like he's there for the younger audience who shouldn't read this at all.

YAWN

I can never understand how people can hate the power of friendship and friendship speeches. People dont want to feel good or something, do they hate their friends?

It's a reasonable "power-up" when used in the right context, and something I expect ALL Shonen to use once or twice, but Hiro Mashima just uses it as an excuse for lazy writing. What's the point writing in logical strategy when you can just rely on the power of friendship for every god damn fight? It's come to the point where if Lucy trips on a rock Natsu will go full on Nakama Power and swear vengeance against it.

It's been pounded into every chapter that it's lost all meaning.
The biggest problem though? Every character is basically the same "I fight for my friends" spewing drone. They have no distinct personality any more. Laxus, who was a breath of fresh air compared to the overly cheesy main cast, has now been degraded to a pathetic Natsu clone, just like every one else, and when Natsu himself is one of the most criticised protagonists of Shonen? It's easy to see why people hate it.

Berserk 5-6 (Volume 3)

Also, I could've done without the elf. Puck is simply annoying and it feels like he's there for the younger audience who shouldn't read this at all.

In my opinion Puck was great to have in Berserk during the early volumes. Some of it is just so overwhelming dark that a comedic character helps it from being too overbearing.

Left the video since I matched the criteria for all things except thinking Lucy is a great character (people think this?)

As hard as it might be to believe, some people judge the quality of a character solely based on how physically attracted they are to them. You probably don't know this because there's nobody in MangaGAF like that.

Steroyd

Best part of Reborn : everything before the genre shift.

Got to agree with this, while I did watch/read a bit after the genre shift, my interest of the series died somewhere in the future arc.

As hard as it might be to believe, some people judge the quality of a character solely based on how physically attracted they are to them. You probably don't know this because there's nobody in MangaGAF like that.

Except DTL.

wonzo

Banned
I can't believe you just said this to DTL of all people. lmao

Berserk

In my opinion Puck was great to have in Berserk during the early volumes. Some of it is just so overwhelming dark that a comedic character helps it from being too overbearing.
The way you worded it, it sounds like he dies later on. That would please me and give me a good laugh.

AB12

yongbi the invincible - 56

Damn, that was good.

Of course in typical Yongbi fashion you get this right afterward; at least it wasn't the author himself peeling back the page to break the fourth wall, as he's fond of doing.

My favorite martial art comic right now, and it should be fully translated (the series is done and they have all the volumes). Good times.

Thanks for this little gem. Ran out of Shounen that I like to read. Looks interesting, and since it is done, good time indeed.

Hunter X Hunter or Veritas need to come back. Soon

Nisekoi 65
The infamous alcoholic chocolate strikes again. If they were this potent in real life it'd be the end of civilisation as we know it.

Anyway, nothing happened today, right everyone?

Cirque Arachne 1-6 (END)

Short yuri manga about two girls in a circus troupe. Had irrationally high expectations for it because of the setting, so inevitably I wound up disappointed. Pretty unremarkable from start to finish. Thinking about it, I've yet to read a really good short yuri series. Haru Natsu Aki Fuyu is probably still the closest.

This thread needs more Kono S wo Mi yo.
Sakuranbo Syndrome > Kono S.

It's a reasonable "power-up" when used in the right context, and something I expect ALL Shonen to use once or twice, but Hiro Mashima just uses it as an excuse for lazy writing. What's the point writing in logical strategy when you can just rely on the power of friendship for every god damn fight? It's come to the point where if Lucy trips on a rock Natsu will go full on Nakama Power and swear vengeance against it.

It's been pounded into every chapter that it's lost all meaning.
The biggest problem though? Every character is basically the same "I fight for my friends" spewing drone. They have no distinct personality any more. Laxus, who was a breath of fresh air compared to the overly cheesy main cast, has now been degraded to a pathetic Natsu clone, just like every one else, and when Natsu himself is one of the most criticised protagonists of Shonen? It's easy to see why people hate it.

I would personally take friendship power over strategy any day (unless Kingdom) Whats more exciting in the context of manga, a long strategy detailed and executed over the course of several drawn out chapters or characters brought close to the brink of defeat and instantly pulling forth that last bit of energy for the sake of their friends pulling off a new move and winning? Mashima does it well each time and makes it really exciting to me.

What else would fairytail fight for other than for their friends and guild? Its not like their trying to change the world or stop extraterrestrial creatures from other dimensions. Its just a story of a guild.

YAWN

I would personally take friendship power over strategy any day (unless Kingdom) Whats more exciting in the context of manga, a long strategy detailed and executed over the course of several drawn out chapters or characters brought close to the brink of defeat and instantly pulling forth that last bit of energy for the sake of their friends pulling off a new move and winning?
Not gonna dignify this with a response.

Its just a story of a guild.

A story that's way passed it's expiration date that it's constantly repeating itself. Here's the summary for the next few arcs -

Next arc: New villains arrive, hyped up to be amazingly strong. Fodderized and ridiculed by FT's power of friendship. Lucy loses her clothes in the process.
2nd arc: New villains arrive, hyped up to be amazingly strong. Fodderized and ridiculed by FT's power of friendship. Lucy loses her clothes in the process.
3rd arc: New villains arrive, hyped up to be amazingly strong. Fodderized and ridiculed by FT's power of friendship. Lucy loses her clothes in the process.
4th arc: New villains arrive, hyped up to be amazingly strong. Fodderized and ridiculed by FT's power of friendship. Lucy loses her clothes in the process.

If you genuinely think that's exciting, I honestly feel sorry for you.

The fact is, like the reviewer I linked earlier said, great and talented authors that actually take the time and effort to develop worlds would kill for a large audience like Fairy Tail's, which owes it's current popularity to nothing more than tits and ass, and Mashima is doing nothing but insulting them with his lazy, uninspired, no effort required writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom