• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Do any of the Pirates in One Piece ever actually do any pirating? As far as I can tell, every single One Piece character is Guybrush Threepwood.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah, all the time. The main cast? Once, kind of. Does stealing something you would have been given if you asked count?

Why would anybody ever take a ship out on the ocean if there were crews of people sailing to rob you and all of the robbers had fucking superpowers?

Kusagari

Well if that was the case then he was doing so since Skypeia since mantra is consistent with haki...

Making mantra into a subset of Haki wasn't exactly hard to do. It's not like we knew anything about it at the time. That was years after the Shanks scene anyway, so he could have thought up Haki by then.

Angry Grimace

Because most crews don't have superpowers and the Sea Police usually have better boats and stronger crews.

Not to mention the fact that if you sail outside of a designated area a fucking sea monster will come immediately kill you.

Making mantra into a subset of Haki wasn't exactly hard to do. It's not like we knew anything about it at the time. That was years after the Shanks scene anyway, so he could have thought up Haki by then.

Dude, that's called foreshadowing. Oda does it all the time and he's the best at it.

Angry Grimace

Dude, that's called foreshadowing. Oda does it all the time and he's the best at it.

Not having any familiarity with the specific topic you're talking about, that sounds like it could also just be retconning.

Wiseblade

I'm pretty confident that Oda had a vague idea about having an intimidating will as a superpower from the beginning, but didn't where to go with it until after Alabasta. And then decided to incorporate Mantra into that some time after Skypeia. It would help to explain why the Lord of the Coast swims away instead of passing out in the first chapter.

Now people are bitching at which shonen has "better deaths" in a genre where death hardly fucking matters?

WUT.

Needs some more impressions of other manga in here rather than this current horseshit

Stinky

Wait wasnt Jojo feeding his dog grapes in the first volume?

Shit is toxic yo.

Jojo part 1 volume 2

lots of confrontation with Super Dio.

I love how shonen it was when Jojo was falling and he grabs onto the spear tip, plunges it into the wall, uses some gymnastic magic and vaults upwards... and then still has time to undo his belt and use it as a grappling hook. At the end, unsurprisingly, Zombie Dio emerges.

EDIT: Ooh, I came just in time

Kurita

Taiyou no Uta 1
Sixteen-year old Kaoru, who cannot be exposed to sunlight, can only experience “life” at night, when she’s in front of the train station, singing. There begins a love that has blossomed for the first time in her life.

The first chapter was pretty sweet but I think I'll watch the drama (and maybe the movie starring YUI).
I wonder if the manga is an adaptation of the drama since they both came out the same year...

Brickhunt

I'm definitively sure that the intimidating aspect was thought from the beginning, even if it wasn't caller Color of Conqueror, and it's not exactly a original concept, but I do think Oda pulled Color of Armaments from his ass. It wasn't foreshadowed before Shabaody. He could have introduced it on CP9 saga by having Roukishi being based on it, but he did not.

He drove himself in a corner with Logias and had to come up with a way to get himself out. Labeling it under Haki as a skill together with Intimidation and Mantra does not convince me that he thought of it from the very beginning that scared a Sea King.

survivor

Banned
Taiyou no Uta 1

The first chapter was pretty sweet but I think I'll watch the drama (and maybe the movie starring YUI).
I wonder if the manga is an adaptation of the drama since they both came out the same year...

Yo keep reading the manga, it's pretty good and sad.

Short break from Berserk.

Sun-ken Rock 118-119

DJTlNwq.jpg

While I'm glad this fight is finally over, Ken still rocked it. Kim's whole way was completely broken and in the end, he couldn't justify his actions. He wanted to be like Ken, have everything Ken had, but that wasn't enough. And now he got the possibility to join him and he refuses the offer? What the fuck.

Now I kinda forgot about the White Dragon Clan attacking at the same time and it certainly looks like they got the upper hand. Kim's move at the end was quite dick-ish, but it might pave them the way out.

The art was pretty good as usual, with some godly panels, but damn, Boichi, those spec ops ladies would've broken their spines with those moves.

Akito

Yo keep reading the manga, it's pretty good and sad.
I didn't think the manga is very interesting, it adds nothing the very generic "girl with a terminal illness falls in love" type of story. The art is nothing to write home about either. I have yet to check out the the live action/drama version but they should be better thanks to the soundtrack and the fact that they have more time to develop the characters than the manga.

Angry Grimace

Now people are bitching at which shonen has "better deaths" in a genre where death hardly fucking matters?

WUT.

Needs some more impressions of other manga in here rather than this current horseshit

The only person in any comic who stays dead is Uncle Ben.

Kurita

I didn't think the manga is very interesting, it adds nothing the very generic "girl with a terminal illness falls in love" type of story. The art is nothing to write home about either. I have yet to check out the the live action/drama version but they should be better thanks to the soundtrack and the fact that they have more time to develop the characters than the manga.

Yeah I really find the art... well not bad but it's not that good either so that's why I wanted to check the drama and the movie (which seem different since the actors are not the same).

survivor

Banned
You didn't cry at the ending? You monster

Magi

While I saw the clone twist coming specifically, I did not forsee the "original" being alive.
The four magi problem still exists. And the fact that Yunan has looked the same for 30+ years.

Popstar

I'm definitively sure that the intimidating aspect was thought from the beginning, even if it wasn't caller Color of Conqueror, and it's not exactly a original concept, but I do think Oda pulled Color of Armaments from his ass. It wasn't foreshadowed before Shabaody. He could have introduced it on CP9 saga by having Roukishi being based on it, but he did not.

He drove himself in a corner with Logias and had to come up with a way to get himself out. Labeling it under Haki as a skill together with Intimidation and Mantra does not convince me that he thought of it from the very beginning that scared a Sea King.
Armaments was foreshadowed at the end of the CP9 arc when Garp visits Luffy on Water 7. And the word "Haki" is mentioned by Blackbeard on Jaya so Oda had probably had at least a rough outline of how it worked by then.

Green Blood 21

qxKti4R.jpg

To start the chapter with a short flashback of King and McDowell was a good idea, if only to show their ambitions and the parallels.

I have to admit, while Luke's behavior was pretty brave, I expected some deus ex machina to get them, or rather Brad, out of this. McDowell is definitely too good of a person. No wonder the Grave Diggers were destroyed.

It's certainly going to be interesting to see where the story goes from here on. King is still around and Brad is basically legendary now and with that tattoo also branded as a Grave Digger. They'll probably have to leave the Five Points with the girl.

The only person in any comic who stays dead is Uncle Ben.

Saw your Bucky line and was gonna ask if he died again LOL

Yea one of the few exceptions and given he pretty much created and
continued to
mould Spiderman it would be best he remained that way.

IIRC he has been alive though via multiverse/alternate timeline shenanigans, though i could be wrong.

Angry Grimace

Saw your Bucky line and was gonna ask if he died again LOL

Yea one of the few exceptions and given he pretty much created and
continued to
mould Spiderman it would be best he remained that way.

IIRC he has been alive though via multiverse/alternate timeline shenanigans, though i could be wrong.

I edited that part out because I wasn't entirely sure anyone would know who Bucky was.

survivor

Banned
So... Is the manga based on the movie, too?
Then, is the Japanese movie based on the manga?

I'm confused now!
It probably went like Japanese film -> drama -> manga and let's pretend the Hong Kong film doesn't exist lol

I've read/watched my fair share of this type of stories before and Taiyou no Uta (the manga) really is not really a strong representative.

What tragic romance stories would you recommend?

Soma

Prison School - Caught Up
Someone give this guy a medal. Damn.

• Artwork is great. Some of the best when it comes to smut.
  • Every panel with the Vice President in it is amazingly ridiculous.
  • Hana is hilarious
  • Gakuto is a true bro
  • The Chairman is the best.
  • You can cut the tension in some of these scenes with a knife.
  • NIPPLE HAIR

Good stuff.

Kurita

It probably went like Japanese film -> drama -> manga and let's pretend the Hong Kong film doesn't exist lol

Seems like the movie, the drama and the manga ALL came out in 2006.
What the hell :lol

EDIT :
Movie : June 17, 2006
Drama : July 14, 2006
Dunno about the manga.

Didn't Ma and Pa Kent die and stay dead? I don't remember the Waynes ever coming back to life either.

Kents? IIRC they were usually alive for the most part until New 52 killed them so Supes can be more detached from humanity.

Waynes? They are dead but once again are reponsible for moulding a character so it would be best they continue to be.

Ass Class 34

I guess I forgot about this one.

With asshole-sensei showing up, it's clear that Class E is going to lose now, which is bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom