• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem here is that when xmas is everyday it stops being special.
It's actually more distracting to have a lack of BG than the reverse for any 2 panels.
Oda use it to make the scene special (and btw he's not alone in that, check Clamp, Togashi... it's actually pretty common, kind of like how in movies you only have the sound and no image to get the required mood or something).
Anyway it's not just Oda vs Kubo here.

I would rather have Christmas everyday where i know what´s happening than having X-mas once in a while and the rest of the time don´t know what happens.

Fun fact is that the death scene of Byakuya looked more like a death scene than for Gin, look who got the axe....
Not really. Gin´s give Ichigo it´s up to you look and he felt at peace before he died.

Btw about who gets a pass, I'll use the rule of SJump : Togashi :p

I still can´t believe he takes a year off and the art is still shit :(

Mael

No Gin´s death was not shit at all. It was great especially after we knew his motives.

Yeah no, I think I don't know a single Espada who got a more shitty treatment.
Tosen got a better treatment.

It´s the quincy who took Allon´s beatings like nothing.

The same Allon that worfed 3 random shinigamis and got worfed by Genryusai, that Espada 6 Grimmjoy would be way way more powerful is not a surprise. Just saying.

Before he met Aizen.

Well we got that no? He was a wild Ajucas that feasted on his future fraccion to not go back to Gillian level.
What more does need to be known?

Dem fighting words :p

Hey seriously there's the whole troupe of Urahara (4 people), the Quincies, zero divisions.
Seriously that's more than 10 people already, we don't need anything more than a quick explanation why Grimmjo's suddenly a good guy.
We either don't need the rest or already know it.

I would rather have Christmas everyday where i know what´s happening than having X-mas once in a while and the rest of the time don´t know what happens.

Again this isn't about Oda vs Kubo.
Take a look at Miura for example and it's Halloween (because Xmas in Berserk :/....) once in a while and you always see what happens.
Really it's a stylistic choice and all that (and the designs are so far from shit it's not even funny), that doesn't mean it's a good choice.

Not really. Gin´s give Ichigo it´s up to you look and he felt at peace before he died.

Kubo did a very shitty job making us care for that character to begin with. Tosen was handled really well, Heck even Byakuya got a not shit death scene and then there's Gin who gets the short end of the stick.
And 3 panels taking 2 pages showing how Gin look at Ichigo doesn't change that.

I still can´t believe he takes a year off and the art is still shit :(

the art is certain no longer at scibble level and the rest is so much better than anything I've read this side of OP/Berserk/Vagabond that I'll take that over shit like Fairy Tail and its predictables turns.

The problem here is that when xmas is everyday it stops being special.
It's actually more distracting to have a lack of BG than the reverse for any 2 panels.
Oda use it to make the scene special (and btw he's not alone in that, check Clamp, Togashi... it's actually pretty common, kind of like how in movies you only have the sound and no image to get the required mood or something).
Anyway it's not just Oda vs Kubo here.

Yeah I agree with this, especially as the series HAD background in the chapters beforehand.

Thing is not having backgrounds is not my pet peeve with Bleach, it was the stupid long ass fights, especially in the case of Ichigo vs Ulquiorra. Those kind of fights should've been edited in name or script version to be very much shorter.

Oh and not to mention the start of the Fullbring arc, with Ichigo developing a new dull power. Those things added up and made me really hate the series for a while. Good to see it's getting better now though.

Yeah no, I think I don't know a single Espada who got a more shitty treatment.
Tosen got a better treatment.

Yammy. And why his treatment is shitty? His objective was to kill Aizen. He failed and pass the torch to Ichigo. We already knew about Tousen in the SS arc. The Gin´s flashback
has deeply explained what he did and why he did it. His dedication for one person his entire life on the expense of his own is an amazing thing i thought.
The same Allon that worfed 3 random shinigamis and got worfed by Genryusai, that Espada 6 Grimmjoy would be way way more powerful is not a surprise. Just saying.

3 VC, and not regular shinigami. Yamamoto worfs most characters.

Well we got that no? He was a wild Ajucas that feasted on his future fraccion to not go back to Gillian level.
What more does need to be known?

How he became an adjucas, but you´re right. I just Grimmjow and want to see him more fleshed out.

Hey seriously there's the whole troupe of Urahara (4 people), the Quincies, zero divisions.
Seriously that's more than 10 people already, we don't need anything more than a quick explanation why Grimmjo's suddenly a good guy.
We either don't need the rest or already know it.

We will get Urahra´s story and his relationship with Yoruichi. And we will most likely get flashbacks on a lot of the quincies.

Kubo did a very shitty job making us care for that character to begin with. Tosen was handled really well, Heck even Byakuya got a not shit death scene and then there's Gin who gets the short end of the stick.
And 3 panels taking 2 pages showing how Gin look at Ichigo doesn't change that.

Not really. After people knew his motives his popularity jumped massively on the forums that i visit.

scy

Yamada 49.1 - .1? Whatever. Fanservice bits. Not sure if chapter relevant to anything.

Yamada 50 - lol Noa.

Akame ga Kiru 34 - dem color pages. Esdese in a dress. Look at all these people soon to be fucking dead!

Mael

Yammy. And why his treatment is shitty? His objective was to kill Aizen. He failed and pass the torch to Ichigo. We already knew about Tousen in the SS arc. The Gin´s flashback
has deeply explained what he did and why he did it. His dedication for one person his entire life on the expense of his own is an amazing thing i thought.

Yammy is so bad I didn't even remember that guy.
The difference with Tousen is that the reversal of tousen's motive (his justice is really just vengeance, that was really well done btw, surprisingly so) was well done.
In the end, for Gin it was just...there.
All we know is that he really cares about big boobs but we never get to really know why even, they never seem that attached (well except for her being that clingy to him) or anything.
All I can say is it's kind of shitty motive in the end (especially since the guy never seems to be THAT dedicated to anything at all so why should he be THAT dedicated to this goal is anyone's guess).

3 VC, and not regular shinigami. Yamamoto worfs most characters.

Huh, no VC were seen to be even close to beating any Espada at all, so yeah for we know Allon really isn't more dangerous than Szayel Apporo (#8).
That Grimmjoy would cut in 2 an already wounded quincy on the verge of death isn't in the really an example of OMG POWERUP.

How he became an adjucas, but you´re right. I just Grimmjow and want to see him more fleshed out.

Yeah I think we'll have to agree to disagree here, we don't need anymore than that, we all know how and why they went with Aizen when they explained how and why Stark followed Aizen.

We will get Urahra´s story and his relationship with Yoruichi. And we will most likely get flashbacks on a lot of the quincies.

Or not, Kubo can also forget they even exists....

Not really. After people knew his motives his popularity jumped massively on the forums that i visit.

I won't comment on Gin's popularity, I will comment however that Gin's treatment could have been better handled than what we got...even with Kubo's standard.

survivor

Banned
Takemitsu Zamurai 1-15

I couldn't get past the first few chapters a couple of years ago, but I started to chug through it and can appreciate the art style more. Very fluid art.

Edit: No wonder, this guy did Number Five too.
I love Taiyo Matsumoto's art in general, but he really took it to the next level with Zamurai.

Sairuiu 4 & 5
tumblr_mjv1gv5S2z1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Two more stories/one shots. Chocolate Soldier (4) was alright. A bit too focused on the nurses story and her love life, but at least the two students, Oda and his kind of love for Maki, and Maki seeming to maybe have some feelings for him (after both's misunderstanding of thinking the other liked the nurse) did make it enjoyable. Maki is a surprisingly devoted Student health organization class rep.

Laundream the second story was memorable though had the type of endings that always make me tear up
When the person has all these feelings for the other person but then the one that love ended up dying and they have to deal with all these terrible feelings of missed chances to confess and being all depressed

Mael

Gin's motives actually made me like him less. I liked him more when he was just a grinning psycho.

Exactly, take 2 other SJump star series to compare :
Naruto : well Itachi would have been that much more interesting if he really was a fratricide psycho, or Madara was interesting because his motives wasn't so shitty (well before we get to know him).
That's a real problem in Naruto because with the Kishi writes, you're only a villain if you really was a good guy and someone was mean to you and you end being a bad guy nearly against your will.

HxH : Hisoka.
No, really I don't think I need to say more here.

Yamada and the Seven Witches 19 - 20

Urara being a witch felt like it came out of nowhere, but I guess explains why he got it in the first place, should have made the reveal come later maybe.

He was still a grinning psycho. There was no reason besides the lulz for half the shit he did.

He was just a psychopath who happened to care about one person.

Yeah, but those last few chapters made it seem like he was sentamental and shit. Not only for boobs, but for Ichigo too. Meh, he's still one of my favorite characters.

But I agree, his being a double agent still didn't negate half the stuff he did. At least there's still that.

survivor

Banned
Yuki is annoying.

"Oh Shou-Senpai I don't want to bother your relationship with him but can I like, say to him that I still and will always love him and pay attention to him and makes him hear all my troubles and going out with him and so and so even when in the past we were once in a relationship?"

Egads, I want to reach the nearest pan-fry to smack her on the head.

She made such a baffling move trying to setup Seiji and Shou on a date when she clearly knows that Seiji likes her, but then she started making up some bullshit about him being confused and what not. And now that they are back to being on friendly terms, her ex is gonna start showing up and fucking things up between them.

Yamada and the Seven Witches 19 - 20

Urara being a witch felt like it came out of nowhere, but I guess explains why he got it in the first place, should have made the reveal come later maybe.
Wasn't Urara already known to be a witch or am I missing something?

Akito

Screaming Lesson 33
Eating lunch in the toilet all the time, why would you do that, just go to the roof like every loner argh!
I guess this count as a happy end?

survivor

Banned
Even so My Girl is still friggin great.
Also dat (color) art.
I really gotta collect all of Mizu's coloured pages/covers at one point, most of them are very good.

Unless I missed it (have been reading these at like 1am, etc), in these chapters it was when she told him she was a witch and then said that Yamada's power copies other powers.

I'm probably just forgetting what happened then. I assumed they have already figured out she was a witch long time ago.

Steroyd

AKB49 - Volume 12 - ch119

fjc8hbM.gif

The breakdown of Maya was glorious, I was curious how they were going to handle the Behind Enemy Lines plot, but turning the away game disadvantage into a home game was a sight to behold, now that Minori has turned Yoshinaga into a rival things should escalate, but now I've got to wait how he gets out of chapter 119's cliffhanger!! D:

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Gin didn't even seem to get seriously wounded. Raingiku had her ovaries splattered on a building 300 yards away, and she was totally fine.

That annoying brat girl got cut in half, and she's fine.

Lose an arm? Fine.

Gin got his pec sliced and he dies.

Ikkaku, Renji, Chad, Haribel, Iceweasel kid... They all took far more serious wounds.

Deadliest move? Nipple slice. The source of Gin's power. Gone in an instant.

Mael

Gin didn't even seem to get seriously wounded. Raingiku had her ovaries splattered on a building 300 yards away, and she was totally fine.

That annoying brat girl got cut in half, and she's fine.

Lose an arm? Fine.

Gin got his pec sliced and he dies.

Ikkaku, Renji, Chad, Haribel, Iceweasel kid... They all took far more serious wounds.

Deadliest move? Nipple slice. The source of Gin's power. Gone in an instant.

Ah yes I guess that's why I found the whole thing ridiculous.
It's true that we had all the captains who were basically chopped in 2 (seriously most of them got cut in half when they all....well killed the annoying girl iceboy is in love with).
And know what's fun?
That girl is still alive!

Stinky

Whatever happened to Kira, the guy with the weight shikai?

His entire torso was destroyed. In any other manga it would be obvious he was dead.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah and multiple people got cleaved in half and survived, thats what I'm saying. How are people supposed to have meaningful deaths when this happens.

The egregious part was that Kira was retconned into the Fourth division in the past so he could deus ex heal Matsumoto despite Aizen having said he recruited Kira into the 5th Division immediately after graduating from Sword Ghost school.

Stinky

Jesus, I forgot about that.

How the fuck does one even live through that kind of damage? even for manga that's pretty clearly a death type of injury

The healing squad have almost retcon level powers.

and Orihime literally does have retcon powers.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
WSJ US TOC for March 18th 2013

Toriko
Bleach
Cross Manage
One-Punch Man
Dragon Ball
World Trigger
Nisekoi

Previews: Naruto & Cross Manage

Short issue this week due to no One Piece or Naruto.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Ehh, it's still a step above the revolving door of the afterlife that Dragonball became.
It was kind of established from the very beginning that you could resurrect people with the Dragonballs, though.

Kurita

About Shingeki No Kyojin :

Whatever happened to the weird titan/gorilla? I only remember him throwing rocks or something.

Setsuna

Jesus, I forgot about that.

How the fuck does one even live through that kind of damage? even for manga that's pretty clearly a death type of injury

being instantly healed as soon as you are wounded works wonders

besides the only way to make sure a shinigami is dead is to cut off their head if thats not done then they are probably still alive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom