• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTP| The Salt Smut Only Knows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got caught up on The Seven Deadly Sins from the beginning, I really like it. The art's a bit eh at times but the story and characters are cool.

Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! Vol.01

pdsq0Kb.jpg

So the chuun moe clubbing series's origins about a former Chuunibyou and a current Chuunibyou and how their relationship starts.

And damn it, I thought it was better than the anime which only means I'm inclined to keep reading. I liked Yuuta's and Rikka's relationship here. Yuuta's less abusive, Rikka's less moeblob, they explored nice themes of being a Chuunibyou and the whole first volume didn't feel like a giant waste of my time like how I felt at the end of the first season of the anime.

The focus was a lot stricter since they didn't introduced pointless side characters to derail the focus of Yuuta's and Rikka's relationship and the existing side characters were used nicely. I'm actually kinda annoyed at how much better this is here.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Say, the author of Magi is a lady, yeah? With her and Arakawa, it's interesting that we have two highly successful series in a genre usually dominated by hot-blooded young boys that are created by females. Do we have any other examples?

How about the opposite? Male mangaka in shoujo genre? The only one I can think of is Mitsuru Adachi.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Saihate no Ao 1
Amnesiac boy on a field trip with his friends stumbles across an old research lab, and from there things get decidedly weird for him.

Seems pretty generic so far, beyond the twist at the end, but I think it has potential. Definitely seems up DTL's alley, despite having a token girl in there.

Erigu

that short story is Bio Luminescence from Filament? It seemed quite interesting since I read that it's two Mushishi stories set in modern day Japan and with different characters than the long running series. but I couldn't find it in english.
No, I'm referring to Mushishi Tokubetsu Hen Hihamu Kage, which immediately got an animated adaptation (on Crunchyroll... they call it an "OVA", but I believe it's really a TV special).

Also, Bioluminescence is actually the title of Urushibara's first short story collection (although she was using the name "Shima Soyogo", back then). Filament basically is a reprint from another publisher, except one short story is missing, and two more have been added.
As for the two "modern-day Mushishi stories" you're referring to above, they're short stories called "Mushishi" (虫師) published in 1994 and 1996, and became the inspiration for the eventual Mushishi (蟲師) series. They can be found in both Bioluminescence and Filament.

survivor

Banned
Say, the author of Magi is a lady, yeah? With her and Arakawa, it's interesting that we have two highly successful series in a genre usually dominated by hot-blooded young boys that are created by females. Do we have any other examples?

How about the opposite? Male mangaka in shoujo genre? The only one I can think of is Mitsuru Adachi.

Rumiko Takahashi

As for the other side then we have Mineo Maya who created Patalliro

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
CLAMP transcends demographics. They make their own.

Others:
D Gray Man
Ichigo 100%
Saiyuki
Angel Sanctuary
DNAngel, depending on how you define "successful"

Although most of these aren't as big as Arakawa or Takahashi.

dumbyugi

Mizuki Kawashita & CLAMP are 2 big name female artists who do shounen series. I couldn't tell you any male shoujo mangaka off the top of my head but I would imagine that there would be some. It wouldn't suprise me if male shoujo artists use female pen names, same with female shounen artists using male pen names.

Mizuki Kawashita & CLAMP are 2 big name female artists who do shounen series. I couldn't tell you any male shoujo mangaka off the top of my head but I would imagine that there would be some. It wouldn't suprise me if male shoujo artists use female pen names, same with female shounen artists using male pen names.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun in real life.

Coincidentally, Nozaki-kun is written by a female and is classified as a shounen.

CLAMP manga is considered shounen?

Haly

Technically shoujo but considering the dismemberment, power levels, and hot blooded battoru it might as well be shounen.

Angelic Layer and Tsubasa were serialized in shounen mags.
Chobits and xxxHolic, seinen mags.
Most of their other output, shoujo mags.

Seems like they moved towards shounen and seinen in recent years (TRC, Holic, Lawful Drug, Kobato).

Dresden

Any prominent male authors working on gay romances, excluding bara? It's always seemed to be a field aimed at women by women.

Any prominent male authors working on gay romances, excluding bara? It's always seemed to be a field aimed at women by women.

At least in what I read, theres the one who wrote Bishounen no Koi, and the writer of Brother x Brother .

Though with some writers using pennames, even female writers of bl, sometimes its hard to tell.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Akira Amano
Katou Kazue
CLAMP?

CLAMP transcends demographics. They make their own.

CLAMP is a bunch of people working under one pen name, yeah?

Haly

Sometimes, women write the lewdest of things.

See: Ane Doki

upandaway

In hindsight I should have totally expected it but I was surprised Saki's author is female. Also Baby Steps' author is female too.

For some reason females consistently write the best sub-romances in shonen but switch to shoujo and I'm not sure what's going on there. I wonder how this strange phenomenon manifested.

Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, Bakuman.
Haha, you could have just said every single Jump manga and it would have worked too.

Jintor

For some reason females consistently write the best sub-romances in shonen but switch to shoujo and I'm not sure what's going on there. I wonder how this strange phenomenon manifested.

probably just sturgeons. More women writing shoujo so more exposure to bad writing, but women who become noticeable in shonen are probably better writers.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
One Piece Chapter 362

Nami has spotted Luffy. Aqua Laguna is coming.

And I am now passing the part of One Piece that toonami is on. \o/

upandaway

Started reading Takkoku beyond the current scanlation (a couple chapters in now), it's amazing and hilarious and I love it but I'll save the impressions for when other people can read it!

probably just sturgeons. More women writing shoujo so more exposure to bad writing, but women who become noticeable in shonen are probably better writers.
This has nothing to do with anything you said or in general but Jintor you're a cool dude too.

Skab

Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! Vol.01

So the chuun moe clubbing series's origins about a former Chuunibyou and a current Chuunibyou and how their relationship starts.

And damn it, I thought it was better than the anime which only means I'm inclined to keep reading. I liked Yuuta's and Rikka's relationship here. Yuuta's less abusive, Rikka's less moeblob, they explored nice themes of being a Chuunibyou and the whole first volume didn't feel like a giant waste of my time like how I felt at the end of the first season of the anime.

The focus was a lot stricter since they didn't introduced pointless side characters to derail the focus of Yuuta's and Rikka's relationship and the existing side characters were used nicely. I'm actually kinda annoyed at how much better this is here.

Huh. Didn't realize there was a manga version. Guess I'll have to check it out now.

Kieli

Seven Deadly Sins

Of all the 4 combatants about to face-off 2v2, I think Gilthunder is like a third-wheel. I don't feel he can swerve with the other 3 dudes, lmao.

Fake edit: Does Adachi really make shoujo? I always felt it was seinen (in tone, anyway).

Checking out Nobelsse and its alright so far

so refreshing seeing a typical shonen character and his friends relegated to "unimportant" status in favor of the other cast.

also Rai and Frankenstein are hilarious
and both are broken as fuck

Kieli

Checking out Nobelsse and its alright so far

so refreshing seeing a typical shonen character and his friends relegated to "unimportant" status in favor of the other cast.

also Rai and Frankenstein are hilarious
and both are broken as fuck

Don't set your hopes up that it's Hamlet or Paradise Lost. If you enjoy powerful beings being powerful, then you can enjoy the series like I do. Otherwise, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom