• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTP| The Salt Smut Only Knows

Status
Not open for further replies.

kasane

ahahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahha
pachah.png
deadbernice.png

I laughed more at you laughing

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
saucy y you read my mind?

Himawari-san (Miss Sunflower) 1-21
I recently re-read this one to get a refresher so I thought I should advertise it do something here. And it reminded me of why I like it so much. It&#8217;s adorable, fluffy slice of life, plain and simple. Most chapters follow the same basic <situation -> emotional payoff> structure, usually involving some previously unknown fact or characteristic of the titular character (who is awesome btw). Very relaxing, is how I&#8217;d sum it all up. The art is fantastic as well. If you&#8217;re looking for fast romance, or any at all, look elsewhere. Yeah, there&#8217;s lots of blushing and crushing, but it&#8217;s more about the sweetness than the romantic aspect (so far). In the end though, I don&#8217;t feel like it takes anything away.
To continue the advertisement from here with my own impressions, it features a lot of what I consider post-character development... A sort of "how we got here" to the character in question, which colors your perception of that character thereafter. For example, you think the main character
has a quiet disposition just by nature, but then you realize that she didn't always act that way...
I think this technique is powerful in a way. It's like a "yeah, you know these characters as you see them now, but they have a history you weren't a part of that existed before you started observing them" sort of feeling. You feel like you're comfortable with your preconceptions of these characters, but then that just throws a little cold water over you, sort of.

I also really like the "romance". It's more like crushes or strong admiration than the typical I want to date you/get in your pants sort of thing. The love here feels almost familial, with Miss Sunflower being the sister figure that you want to be like or just want to be with. It's definitely a cozy and warm feeling that pervades the manga. I do feel Matsuri's love for Miss Sunflower is somewhat ambiguous in this regard. You can tell that she idolizes her, but does she want to kiss her and stuff? I dunno.

As for the world, in a way it reminds me a little of Yozakura Quartet, in that it builds this town that really feels lived in, with plenty of people with all sorts of relationships with one another.

In conclusion, read it when you want something to relax with.

Charade

To continue the advertisement from here with my own impressions, it features a lot of what I consider post-character development... A sort of "how we got here" to the character in question, which colors your perception of that character thereafter. For example, you think the main character
has a quiet disposition just by nature, but then you realize that she didn't always act that way...
I think this technique is powerful in a way. Like a "yeah, you know these characters as you see them now, but they have a history you weren't a part of that existed before you started observing them" sort of feeling. You feel like you're comfortable with your preconceptions of these characters, but then that just throws a little cold water over you, sort of.

Yeah, the use of flashbacks in the series has been superb, kinda feels like a puzzle. I especially enjoyed the
previous Miss Sunflower flashback, very sad yet uplifting at the same time.
The recent one with her brother was also very good, especially that moment when he realizes
that telling her stories when they were younger is what first sparked his interest in becoming a writer
. I thought that was a sweet moment. It's funny that you mention this type of character development since I'm currently reading through another series
(a secret for now, but I've seen you advertise it a bunch :D)
that has used a similar technique on a few characters to great effect.

I also really like the "romance". It's more like crushes or strong admiration than the typical I want to date you/get in your pants sort of thing. The love here feels almost familial, with Miss Sunflower being the sister figure that you want to be like or just want to be with. It's definitely a cozy and warm feeling that pervades the manga. I do feel Matsuri's love for Miss Sunflower is somewhat ambiguous in this regard. You can tell that she idolizes her, but does she want to kiss her and stuff? I dunno.

I'm not entirely sure. But I don't think it really matters in the end, which is why I like it so much, if that makes any sense, haha.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Where the heck are you reading these, most of the ones I found have stopped at 384, one has 385, and there's a 386 that looks like it was put together in 1990. You gotta stop reading ahead into shitty translations, your posts are all spoilers for me now!!!

Hahaha alright, noted :)

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, the use of flashbacks in the series has been superb, kinda feels like a puzzle. I especially enjoyed the
previous Miss Sunflower flashback, very sad yet uplifting at the same time.
The recent one with her brother was also very good, especially that moment when he realizes
that telling her stories when they were younger is what first sparked his interest in becoming a writer
. I thought that was a sweet moment. It's funny that you mention this type of character development since I'm currently reading through another series
(a secret for now, but I've seen you advertise it a bunch :D)
that has used a similar technique on a few characters to great effect.

I'm not entirely sure. But I don't think it really matters in the end, which is why I like it so much, if that makes any sense, haha.
I felt those two scenes in particular were the best parts of the manga, so I agree, the flashbacks were really well done. I don't think it particularly matters that we get any further clarification on Matsuri's feelings either - though I wouldn't mind if we did. The only important thing is that we can feel the depth of love she has for Miss Sunflower.

and about that other series...
holy shit someone actually pays attention to my recs?? you have to post impressions soon, I must know which one it is

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Honto no Kanojo 9
...huh, there was another chapter of this?

I thought it was pretty pretentious, maudlin, and unnecessary. Should've ended it on chapter 8, like I thought it would have.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
How is the series, I looking to get into some more manga series.

It's good, although don't expect the same high intensity action to the likes of One Piece or Naruto. The latest chapters' pacing also suffered, imo, from too many plot points and talk talk talk talk talk all running concurrently together.

But all in all, a great series to follow, if you have the patience for it.

Charade

Honto no Kanojo 9
...huh, there was another chapter of this?

I thought it was pretty pretentious, maudlin, and unnecessary. Should've ended it on chapter 8, like I thought it would have.

Yeah, each chapter ends with "End," so it's somewhat confusing. I had to double check since I thought this chapter was it, but turns out that's not the case either (I'm guessing there's just one more chapter? Can't see it stretching out more than that.)

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Salomelic 1-4
A transfer student, who can do magic and is obsessed with becoming an adult, is skeptical when a popular girl from her latest school tries to befriend her.

Mediocre, despite me liking how she recognizes the ugliness of her possessive feelings.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, each chapter ends with "End," so it's somewhat confusing. I had to double check since I thought this chapter was it, but turns out that's not the case either (I'm guessing there's just one more chapter? Can't see it stretching out more than that.)
There's another chapter after this? Seriously? Why. The only thing I can think of is that they haven't kissed yet, but maybe they already have even, I don't know.

It was an open and shut case once the non-masochist girl confessed, as far as I'm concerned.

kasane

How is the series, I looking to get into some more manga series.
Well its a webcomic so just a reminder

I thought the first season was really good but the pacing is slow. Im not really feeling the second season since i think the pacing got even more fucked. Lore is insanely interesting tho

Soma

There's another chapter after this? Seriously? Why. The only thing I can think of is that they haven't kissed yet, but maybe they already have even, I don't know.

It was an open and shut case once the non-masochist girl confessed, as far as I'm concerned.

Psst. There are other things that happen after a couple becomes "official".

It doesn't have to be the last thing that happens in a story!

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Psst. There are other things that happen after a couple becomes "official".

It doesn't have to be the last thing that happens in a story!
Well yeah, but the chapter that I thought was the ending ended the same way the manga began, sort of. So it would have been fitting.

At this point it just seems to be overstaying its welcome.

Soma

I do agree though yeah it did sorta feel like it was ending right there.

Wish the author would put "to be continued" or some shit.

Charade

Seriously, that would make things so much easier on me. but no, gotta have the fancy la fin shit.

I just found out that the magazine the series runs in, Hirari, puts that "End" at the end of every chapter that runs in it. Double checked with a few other series/oneshots that were in the magazine and it's the same "End," design and all. Kinda weird I guess.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
One Piece Chapter 409: Emergency Bad News Broadcast, early pages

Oh shit. :O Buster call

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I just found out that the magazine the series runs in, Hirari, puts that "End" at the end of every chapter that runs in it. Double checked with a few other series/oneshots that were in the magazine and it's the same "End," design and all. Kinda weird I guess.
This is stupid because it is unconventional for no good reason.

Sad that Stealth Symphony is in dead last in the upcoming issue of Jump (#25, 5/19) :(

Haikyuu (Cover/Lead CP)
One Piece
Ansatsu Kyoushitsu
Hi-Fi Cluster (oneshot)
Naruto
Isobe
Toriko
Shokugeki no Soma (center color)
Saiki Kusuo no PSInan
Kuroko no Basket
Nisekoi (center color)
Gintama
Soul Catcher(S)
World Trigger
Illegal Rare
Kochikame
Bleach
iShoujo
Stealth Symphony

upandaway

Hmm I wonder that even if they didn't prohibit it being sold, the publication might cancel it because of it indirectly.

That rule seems um, insanely vague, just a little bit! Haha. "Devitating from social norms" could even include yuri and yaoi if they really want to be nonsensical!

I never heard of Isobe until now.
Actually the thread hasn't followed the ToC in a while, I don't remember it being posted lately. I haven't paid attention to it in forever.

AssClass still going strong huh.

Actually the thread hasn't followed the ToC in a while, I don't remember it being posted lately. I haven't paid attention to it in forever.

AssClass still going strong huh.

It was mentioned in passing but it's mostly devolved into when will Stealth Symphony get cancelled.

kasane

Jesus christ i wish i just read manga instead of watching nba

Terrible refs

nee san fiction (forgot the name) desu 1-w/e

Aunt is best girl

Little girl is kawaii

Glasses girl should lose

Kieli

Uuuugh. They seriously need to license and print Koe no Katachi. I'm way behind.

Fake edit: Kudos to Crunchyroll for doing what they're doing, but I want to buy a physical copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom