• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTP| The Salt Smut Only Knows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurita

Man, the first manga I bought was dragon ball circa 1999 I think.
But I bought Manga Player in 1997-1998 (French counterpart of Shonen Jump), which had super duper awesome manga. That's how I discovered Ah! My Goddess, You're Under Arrest, Gunsmith Cats, Ghost in the Shell, 3x3 Eyes (which I STILL haven't finished due to missing volumes. But I won't despair, I'll find them), Flag Fighter (which aborted shortly after IIRC), Magic Knight Rayheart and freaking GTO.
They were bought shortly after and reborn as "Pika Editions" and released GTO, and the rest is history. I consider them to be at the origin of the modern manga markt in France.
Tonkam were also quite important IIRC
They're one of the first editors after all.

Gbraga

Minamoto-kun 3

This is ridiculous, hahahahaha, I'm not even sure if its the good kind of ridiculous or not, but I wanna read more.

Maga-Tsuki 35

I preferred the whole 'I came here to kill you' angle.

Also this was my first manga:

UHcGco9.png

Bought it when I was on holiday in America, funnily enough.

Tonkam were also quite important IIRC
They're one of the first editors after all.

Yep ! Video Girl Ai ! Ha ha I didn't even like it much but I still read it.

But as far as I'm concerned, I mainly recall Manga Player and Glénat :d

False Edit : Sheesh Tonkam is 20 years old this year !

A Method to Make the Gentle World 1
GTO without Onizuka's awesomeness. Edit : But with aaaaall the virginity.

Toriko 277

I wanted to know more about those eight kings, its the most creative part of this manga so far and the aura just stepping into the hoof print, shocking.

Though would battle wolf be considered a descendant of one?

A Method to Make the Gentle World 2
AW COME ON

Edit : sorry typo.

What happened?
Dude nearly fondles a girl, gets persecuted for it by her friend who was sexually assaulted really recently, then all is forgiven by some kind of mysterious divine force at work, and then the dimwit manages to actually do it again with the assaulted girl.
What kind of development is that ?

Seraph of the End 19

I love his asuramaru possession. I was hoping hed be a materializer but that doesnt seem to be the case oh well, wonder how he will be in twenty hours.

I liked the action and then the lets be friends and family with everyone else. It makes everything all nice and warm and lovely and impossible to dislike anyway. Kimizu is still hilarious especially in his thing with Yu, and then with everyone else willing to be friends and family with each other. Chp 20 please.

And Poor Mika :(

Akito

Doubutsu no Kuni v4
Someone should pitch this lion story to Disney as a draft for a Lion King reboot, goddamn. Not sure what to think of the first villain yet, the exaggerated chaos evil type doesn't seem like a good fit for the story so far.

Zweizer

Banned
Outside of Jojo, Zetman and Vagabond, there really aren't that much good stuff about Tonkam uh. Was wondering why I could only think about these when I heard the name. Glénat really dominates the French manga world.

Kono Oto Tomare! ch10-16

Well, things are shaping up to be interesting. We're finally about to see some growth in the MC. Kind of disappointed how short the introduction to Kurusu was. I hope she won't get degraded to the level of the three stooges for the rest of the series. The club advisor was much less antagonistic than I'd have presumed, although his rather cynic views should be good to push the club to improve (instead of demoralizing them, as usual with these kinds of things).

Oh well, I've caught up to this, and it's not bad, but kind of disappointed about the slow pace. Following for now.

Nisekoi

Why so much txt. Somehow it wasnt even uninteresting as I actually read it all and laughed throughout. Perhaps one of the stronger chapters that was necessarily Ichijou focused, But he could have had Shu in there.

Revo

Fushigi na Shounen 13a/b

That was certainly different than the other stories, mostly because of how he became more human while female. Don't think I enjoyed this one as much as the others.

bigkrev

Nisekoi 122

Kind of cute how in a chapter not even about him, the world totally revolves around Raku

Stealth Symphony 12

How is this not canceled yet

Cerity

I haven't dropped by in awhile as I haven't been reading much but y'all should read Amai Seikatsu.

KSLfaqI.png

Pure intention'd as a pervert can be, dude works for a lingerie company and can tell a womans' sizes and what line of underwear they are wearing just by touch. He also has the touch. Shenanigans with the companies female employees from there on. Oldschool art and enjoyably written.

Charade

Fushigi na Shounen 13a/b

That was certainly different than the other stories, mostly because of how he became more human while female. Don't think I enjoyed this one as much as the others.

Yeah, I remember that one not having as good of a payoff in comparison, especially since it was built up over 2 chapters. It's also really similar to The Count of Monte Cristo (at least the first part) in terms of plot.

Wandering Emanon 6

Knowing that she'll eventually remember her past and will likely leave the guy is a bit sad...
Though I guess she could already be leaving on that last page?

Akito

Ashita no Joe v6
Surprisingly smart plan by Joe and even though he's still being an overbearing douche it didn't come back and bite his ass this time.

Revo

Yeah, I remember that one not having as good of a payoff in comparison, especially since it was built up over 2 chapters.

Yeah, the payoff definitely was lacking.

Fushigi na Shounen 14

Interesting that there is an imprint of him in history. Otherwise a less interesting chapter.

Kurita

Outside of Jojo, Zetman and Vagabond, there really aren't that much good stuff about Tonkam uh. Was wondering why I could only think about these when I heard the name. Glénat really dominates the French manga world.
Tonkam also has Jin and Liar Game.
I don't know if Glénat really is the king though. Kaze has all the newest Jump series, Pika has Shingeki no Kyojin, Kurokawa has Magi and the Pokémon manga... Kana has a great roster : Punpun, I Am a Hero, Naruto (I don't like it but hey), Assassination Classroom, Bakuman, Kamakura Diary...
Ki-oon have some interesting stuff, too and they know how to market their manga.
The French market still has a nice panel of editors that are doing good.

Zweizer

Banned
Tonkam also has Jin and Liar Game.
I don't know if Glénat really is the king though. Kaze has all the newest Jump series, Pika has Shingeki no Kyojin, Kurokawa has Magi and the Pokémon manga... Kana has a great roster : Punpun, I Am a Hero, Naruto (I don't like it but hey), Assassination Classroom, Bakuman, Kamakura Diary...
Ki-oon have some interesting stuff, too and they know how to market their manga.
The French market still has a nice panel of editors that are doing good.

Glénat has most classics though: Dragon Ball, One Piece, Nausicaä, Akira, Blame!, Eyeshield 21... But I agree, it's not an outright monopoly.

How popular is SnK in France anyways? It's been years since I've frequented French-speaking forums, so I've no idea if it caught traction here. Pika I know them mostly for shoujos, and GTO.

Kurokawa also has FMA, Genshiken and Yotsuba&!, especially Yotsuba&!. I do hope you're following this one.

Ki-oon... I only got Tsukihime from them. Tsukihime is nice.

I'm ashamed to admit that I've forgotten Tonkam also publishes Hellsing. (._.)

Revo

Fushigi na Shounen overall thoughts

A series about humans visited by a mysterious boy. The stories vary in strength although even the lowest aren't all that bad. Favorites are probably Yurika, The Monkey and the Crystal Ball, Socrates, and Sir Richard Wilson and Graham Becker.

Overall quite an interesting series.

bigkrev

One Piece vol 56

Amazing how much stronger the pacing has been the past few volumes. That said, if my favorite character was someone other than Luffy, I'd probably have undergone some sort of craze at the fact it's been almost a year since we saw the rest of the crew. Looks like shit is going to go down next volume.

Charade

Fushigi na Shounen overall thoughts

A series about humans visited by a mysterious boy. The stories vary in strength although even the lowest aren't all that bad. Favorites are probably Yurika, The Monkey and the Crystal Ball, Socrates, and Sir Richard Wilson and Graham Becker.

Overall quite an interesting series.

Great minds think alike. :D

Glad you enjoyed it!

Ryuushika Ryuushika

N2Lfi2z.png

SoL of a little curious girl done by Yoshiti Abe, in full color. I didn't know it was from this author.
It's pretty cute. It's all very short stories, seen from the perspective of a small child, so there is imaginary firends and everything is a game for her.

Revo

Americano Exodus 1

A 24 chapter series about a guy/young girl who can transform into a young girl/guy and is also a magician who has to capture creatures is what I think the series is about. There's also a normal looking guy who gets involved twice. Seems less than mediocre.

0.0MHz Prologue

Seems to be a horror story about a group of people who look into the darkness and find the darkness was always watching back. How it is will change depending on how the horror is done.

Divine Bells 73

Something is happening? I guess i'll wait and see what comes from this.

Revo

Lacks the atmosphere, the characters, the comedy, the awesomeness of GTO. I somewhat feel bad for GTO to be compared to this.

Nordicus

Jitsu wa Watashi wa 21 -

:)
He's so fucking outta there
igHlDTo.jpg

This was Everything He Ever Said Came Back To Bite Him In The Ass - The Chapter. Amazing.

And again, something that could have been an annoyingly long sub plot was resolved in a single chapter. Gotta respect that

scy

And again, something that could have been an annoyingly long sub plot was resolved in a single chapter. Gotta respect that

This surprised me. I was expecting it to be a running gag (assuming he remains as part of the cast) for them. Nope! Resolved in a chapter.

Gbraga

Minamoto-kun 13

what the fuck hahahahahahaha

He was unable to make any moves like a chapter ago and now he's going too far.

This is too funny.

EDIT: RAW JUICY TITS

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Okitenemeru 8

I dont think anyone in real life would really try to defend an infected especially with how they are presented in this universe to transform, and of course she did. Kind of chuckled.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Kono Oto Tomare! ch10-16
Oh well, I've caught up to this, and it's not bad, but kind of disappointed about the slow pace. Following for now.
The slow pace is probably because the author only did mediocre shoujo before. She suddenly improved out of nowhere with this though. Anyway, sorry for reccing you something you didn't enjoy that much! Hopefully you like Spirit Circle, it has a lot more action and it's by the same guy who did Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer, which you should also read if you haven't already.

Lacks the atmosphere, the characters, the comedy, the awesomeness of GTO. I somewhat feel bad for GTO to be compared to this.
You know what else was compared to GTO in this thread? Duction Man. Get on it :p

Kyou no Asuka Show 4-28
I kept reading, hoping it'd get better like Jyoshikausei, but it was awful the whole way through. I regret wasting my time with it.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Yuuhi Romance 1-11 (end)
I skimmed through this, but it was still straight up boring most of the time. Slice of life story about a girl who's in romantic love with her younger brother, and they have a half sister who's in love with him too. Brother is a useless sack of a human.

The only good thing out of this was the mother's love story. Shitty otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom