• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTP| The Salt Smut Only Knows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big One

Banned
Kingdom Volume 30

I thought 25 was truly amazing, but this one is just as good. Duke Hyao's death was just so well-done, just as good as Ouki's death. Plus the arc ends in a heartwarming moment between Sei and Kou, as Sei goes into a battle he's expecting to lose. The stakes are raised so freakishly high now.

With that being said I'm hoping Kyou Kai comes into play here and helps out Shin. Been wanting to see her return. Also hoping to see the mountain people back to help Sei out.

Mortemis

Banned
redhead would have been fine too

Yeah, I saw that too. You know, there's some anime that change a character's hair color from the manga. This would have been an example where it's not all that bad. :(

True, it's more of a subplot to everything. But it's a fairly big reoccurring subplot. If it's for strictly romance-based stories then can probably go some other route instead I guess. Seishun For-get or Countrouble or something else can take the spot on the list

It does focus on it later on, you're right. It hasn't really gone anywhere, or at least it should really soon. I just want a damn chapter though.

Anyways, I remember phillip recommending Game Over, and since you reminded me I might as well.

Game Over 1

So this is a series of one shots correct? Or three one shots and a short story. Anyways, that was pretty sweet. I definitely didn't think kidnapping could lead to family bonding and a bit of diabetes but I like it. On to the next.

scy

It does focus on it later on, you're right. It hasn't really gone anywhere, or at least it should really soon. I just want a damn chapter though.

Like I mentioned, the artist's health is suffering again but there's no super long hiatus this time. It's now a bi-monthly series and I believe the last chapter released in Japan was a little over a week ago (~6/27).

Game Over 1

So this is a series of one shots correct? Or three one shots and a short story. Anyways, that was pretty sweet. I definitely didn't think kidnapping could lead to family bonding and a bit of diabetes but I like it. On to the next.

A few (unrelated) one-shots and then a short story.

Mortemis

Banned
Like I mentioned, the artist's health is suffering again but there's no super long hiatus this time. It's now a bi-monthly series and I believe the last chapter released in Japan was a little over a week ago (~6/27).

Oh, okay. Must have missed that part of your post. But I guess since it's back the artist is doing well thankfully. Glad that a new chapter is coming out soon.

Game Over 2

This one was more diabetes inducing than the last, if only for all that cake. The art for this was less rough and more consistent than the last one shot. I enjoyed this too, not all that much humor in it, or at least not as much as the last, but it was still sweet.

scy

Oh, okay. Must have missed that part of your post. But I guess since it's back the artist is doing well thankfully. Glad that a new chapter is coming out soon.

Just glad it doesn't mean we have another nearly two year hiatus ;__;

I didn't look into the health issues this time but since there was no real hiatus, I guess it isn't anywhere near as severe as last time.

wonzo

Banned
OKUSAN 9
okusan9.png

SOMEONE FINALLY STARTED TRANSLATING HOUSEWIFE MOE AGAIN ;_;

Zephyx

This is the right thread to ask for recommendations. Here are mine:

Completed series:

Ai Kora
Anedoki
Kimi to Kami Hikoki to
Midori Days
Mizuho Ambivalent
Prunus Girl
To Love-Ru
Sayonara Piano Sonata
Seishun For-get!
Subete ni Iya Girl

Ongoing series:

To Love-Ru Darkness
Nisekoi
Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou
14-sai no Koi
Denpa Kyoushi
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Kimi wa Midara na Boku no Joou
Gou-Dere Bishoujo Nagihara Sora
Hayate no Gotoku!
Iris Zero
Nana to Kaoru
Spotted Flower

Thanks. Already finished Midori Days in anime format.

Big One

Banned
Kingdom Coalition Army Arc FINISHED

There was no exagerration when someone on these boards told me this was one of the best war stories ever told in fiction. Just wow. Everything about this arc, and how the entire series has built up for this, is just fantastically done. This manga keeps on getting better and better as it goes on which is just awesome.

I'm in love with everything in Kingdom. The art, the characters, the story, the world, the action. Everything in this manga is just done so excellently to the point of perfection. My only issue with Kingdom is how predictable it can be, but if you expect everything to be predictable all of a sudden BAM, all the states of China decide to team up to invade Qin.

Character development is just ace in this manga. It manages to have a very balanced blend between action elements and actual character development. So many long running weekly manga use training arcs as a way to develop a character, which is just lazy writing and misses the point of actually changing the characters. A character like Shin is pretty much your typical shonen style protagonist, but instead of having to rely on training arcs and other pointless shit, he goes through several arcs in his life that causes him to change how he does things not only on the battlefield, but also matures as a man. This is the key difference between someone like Shin and someone like Naruto, and key difference in what makes good character development in manga.

The same can be said about Ten and Sei as well. While they're not the main focus of the series, they get tons of development.

What's great about Kingdom as well is how it manages to streamline all of these elements into a cohesive story. Instead of sectioning off things, everything serves a purpose or role in the story nor does the story waver or stop to develop the characters. This is also a mark of excellent writing.

The action scenes are by far some of the craziest most intense battles you'll see in the manga medium today, but this pale in comparison to the massive war battles in this series. Kingdom takes war manga to a whole new level, and depicts war in a very meticulous and cohesive way. No longer is war a huge mess of action scenes, Kingdom turns war manga into an art by putting all of it's effort into showing the mass scale and effort into war itself, while still being clear and concise with what actually goes on.

Basically, this manga is fucking amazing, straight up. Easily one of my favorite manga of all time. Easily the best weekly series running today, and I'm still not finished which has me so giddy to get so much more of this. A+

Rhapsody

Banned
Saw the first episode of Nozaki-kun. With that and Akame ga Kill's anime done right so far, now I can only hope the other highlighted GAF manga get good adaptations as well.

LeleSocho

Banned
Okusan
I mean you are a little little step from being full blown hentai, why just not make it so? People would appreciate more i think.

Solune

Colors of the Wind 1 - 8
Webtoon with a romantic story that switches between 2 PoVs. The translation is sort of bad on one hand but the story telling is really bad between transitions so I would blame the author for that. The real treat isn't the character designs which admittedly I was drawn to for reasons but the background art is done very well. It's watercolor style is quite impressive.

Takkoku 7
This chapter has so much ridiculous stuff but.
Zig Zag Potato Chips and Halycon days.

Akame Ga Kill Zero 8
Why does the guy with the name Green have to be the weird guy?

Quasar

Sayonara Piano Sonata - read the shorter, new version. Was an ok little story, though not something special. Kind of curious to know where the older and much longer version goes.

Quasar

Ore ga Ojou-sama 15 - I shouldn't comment on holes given the nature of the series, but you'd think folks would have noticed the MC's lack of the gay based on his library that they transported to the school. I guess its the whole don't ask don't tell policy.

Sai

Okusan

... Yeah, this mangaka knows what he's doing.

On another note, this is from the same guy that did that kindergarten manga I can't remember the name of... Aiko Dessho? Somethin' like that. Thought it ended terribly; snuck a peek at the raw scans and stopped following the scanslations half way.

The NAVER LINE webtoon app for their series is pretty good on android, I just wish they started Soul Cartel, Flow, and The Gamer from current instead of the started.

Unfair bias that Tower of God started from current and the full backlog it seems?

Revo

The NAVER LINE webtoon app for their series is pretty good on android, I just wish they started Soul Cartel, Flow, and The Gamer from current instead of the started.

Unfair bias that Tower of God started from current and the full backlog it seems?

I would assume that more popular series would get more preferential treatment. Going through various webtoons it seems ToG has a much larger popularity than the majority so it makes sense. Not to mention it's large popularity in scans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom