• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTP| The Salt Smut Only Knows

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Sousei no Onmyouji 6
Man, that character development for Rokuro. Poor kid. I wonder what Benio's connection to his dorm's massacre is

And obviously we've got the doomed childhood friend trope fulfilled. woooo (at least she doesn't make me feel bad for not rooting for her. Benio is a million times better)

survivor

Banned
Need translations of chapters 24 and 25 of Gekkan Shoujo so I can finally continue reading the rest of the chapters. The wait is killing me.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Sousei no Onmyouji 6
Man, that character development for Rokuro. Poor kid. I wonder what Benio's connection to his dorm's massacre is

And obviously we've got the doomed childhood friend trope fulfilled. woooo (at least she doesn't make me feel bad for not rooting for her. Benio is a million times better)

Such sad. Very cry.

Seven Deadly Sins 57 - 74 (crunchyroll)
BmWq_MuCYAAYbFV.png
Since the writer is clearly not afraid to kill off characters every arc really becomes a suspenseful affair with me wondering if a character I like would be killed. Sadly, this has extremely harsh implications for the Holy Knights side as I would imagine the ones with Meliodas get some protection. Dreyfus and Hendrickson along with Helbram are the ones on the Holy Knight side that provide the most movement in plot and I like their clashing of ideas. Probably prefer Hendrickson overall as he seems like the type of leader one would follow and having amassed all those forces is something that shouldnt go unnoticed. Though the Arthur character joining up with him too would greatly put him over Dreyfus definitively.

I do think the series made a fatal mistake in these chapters. The writer is typically on point with his storytelling adequately making me get caught up and immersed in the plot especially when King is concerned as his story and background is a bit more interesting than everyone elses and always makes me tear up in the backstory. His best friend story and the fairy wings being torn and hundreds years of revenge to them throwing down was the best set of chapters since the early arc, but was ruined by the outcome. With a bad character present one would have expected Diane to have gone through with actually being off'd and kicked out of the plot and for Helbram to stick around to make amends with King and to try to turn his life around by doing the right things and not out of revenge. Instead were left with the most helpless character surviving to only be caught again in the future most likely, and King left with teary eyes and face yet again having to embrace a losing outcome. Its just wrong to do this to him again when other alternatives were available.

Still good story.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Fantasma
After the assassination of the powerful Godfather, Don Pazolini, the world has been thrown into chaos. Many mafia try to fill the power vacuum, but there is a rumor that Don Pazolini's son is hidden away somewhere. That son is Nero, an orphan who is raised in a bar with showgirls as his friends. He dreams of one day finding his parents, but he doesn't know who they are. One day, he encounters a haunted baseball bat, who names himself "Pucchi" and refers to himself as the Pazolini family 'fantasma.' Pucchi insists that Nero come with him to become the new Godfather and rebuild the Pazolini mafia family. Nero is reluctant, but quickly realizes he has no choice, since there is a price on his head and his identity is no longer much of a secret...
Reborn 2.0?

HIVE 1

NOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPE......"peeks at korean RAWS" Oh good, I needed to stay awake for exams anyway. I don't think I'll be sleeping for at least the next 2 days.

Color makes these a LOT worse. Oh god.

Kieli

WHAT?
I didnt get the joke lol

City Hunter 40

Saeko is best waifu. She trolls Ryo so skillfully lol.

Lol, I'm just quoting people's names when it fits what they just posted. Except the one guy's tag that I quoted (subete = everything, right?, no means "of", aware I just took the english definition). Yet he said he never knew that thing. So he doesn't subete of everything.

Lol, I'm just quoting people's names when it fits what they just posted. Except the one guy's tag that I quoted (subete = everything, right?, no means "of", aware I just took the english definition). Yet he said he never knew that thing. So he doesn't subete of everything.

Oh, now I got it lol.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
A haunted baseball bat?
A haunted baseball bat.

Its a pretty great series, but its pretty unpopular and jump sq should be ending it soon...which is sad to not even reach its 15th or so chp.
Really? That sucks. But Jump Sq is monthly right? So that's at least a year serialized, I guess...

Kageno datte Seishun Shitai 1
gcmLdY9.png

So wait... You're telling me that a guy who is super popular with the ladies isn't a playboy

in a shoujo manga

vive la revolution!

scy

Ah, I see. Yeah, I get that :\ Can't really help you there because I can't think of any mystery + cute romance manga

Bungaku Shoujo is what I mentioned to him earlier. It'll hit some of those vibes throughout the LNs.

...oh, right, LNs.

Edit: Though I second the whole Gekkan Shoujo needs to be read.

Hanayome wa Oku-san 1-2 (end)
One of the better crossdressing stories I encountered, characters so pretty flowers coming out of the panels along with my favorite theme of friends become lovers after a time skip. The background at this wedding planner setting and mock ceremony made it fun and memorable.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Kageno datte Seishun Shitai 2
McDonalds saves the day, woo

They're pretty cute.

Oh yeah, plot summary: dude's sick of being harassed by girls trying to flirt/get with him, so he asks unnoticed, unpopular girl to fake date him. In return, he'd be her friend because she has none despite wanting some. It's decent enough.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Sora no Yousei 1
what the hell, that cliffhanger

Cool setting, pretty likeable characters, but I'm not sure where the plot is going. But this is definitely interesting, especially considering that it's shoujo. I'll keep my eye on it for sure

upandaway

How do you guys feel about kansai dialect (or other dialects), is it better when it's treated the same as everything else or should it be "localized" so southern-ish English, or something else entirely

How do you guys feel about kansai dialect (or other dialects), is it better when it's treated the same as everything else or should it be "localized" so southern-ish English, or something else entirely

It adds flavor if it's localized into people speaking like they are from the South but at the same time it makes it harder to read, so eh.....

upandaway

I'm thinking about when Marika busts out the dialect in Nisekoi and personally, I don't really like it too much, but they lay it down super heavily in that one. Can't think of any examples that do it "lighter" to have a better reference.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Akagami no Shirayukihime 52
argh Zen and Shirayuki are so cute together

Shirayuki and Raji's friendship is adorable too

This manga is risky for diabetics

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

It has to be, otherwise it makes no sense why people are weirded out by it.

Charade

I think it's fine in moderation. I think even just a little bit goes a long way towards making you realize when they're speaking a different dialect (like using more contractions and whatnot). When it's done overboard it becomes a chore to read/unintentionally amusing:

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's fine in moderation. I think even just a little bit goes a long way towards making you realize when they're speaking a different dialect (like using more contractions and whatnot). When it's done overboard it becomes a chore to read/unintentionally amusing:
This is pretty much how I feel about it too. You only have to throw around a few y'alls honestly.

Kansai is the only one I've seen adapted to an English localization though...

upandaway

The thing is though, I can't recall any example of it being done "moderately", and I'm not sure how it can be done. If the character says something one way sometimes but another way other times, it's inconsistent.

There's also something like One Piece that basically has as many speech patterns as there are characters, which would be impossible to localize

It has to be, otherwise it makes no sense why people are weirded out by it.
Didn't you hate the heavy localized language of Yamada though?

It's not dialects or whatever but it's kind of in the same vein of this subject.

Sora no Yousei 01

Only way to make a girl swoon for you is to keep catching her as she keep falling from the sky.

So a girl and her interactions with the fairies people and I guess whatever race drama will occur from this in the future. It's not bad at least. A nice little shoujo.

Nordicus

Yandere Kanojo 58

So Tanaka is stuck between wanting to tell everyone in his family "Shut up, my mother giving birth to me was not a mistake and a disgrace to our family", and keeping his dear yankee girlfriend.

The pieces of this family drama are starting to finally click together

scy

Sora no Yousei 01

Only way to make a girl swoon for you is to keep catching her as she keep falling from the sky.

So a girl and her interactions with the fairies people and I guess whatever race drama will occur from this in the future. It's not bad at least. A nice little shoujo.

So that's what I've been doing wrong all this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom