• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTY| Creatively Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun Vol.07

8Wy9RTLl.png

Lots of heartbreak this chapter. While one was doomed to fail, at least we get growth out of it. Its amusing the relationship status of the main chapter keeps going back and forth as they discover themselves. It's all soooo good.

Ore Monogatari!! Vol 1 and 2

Holy Shit.... A Man's man

that fire scene...... ToT

Such a BOSS..... no wonder why all the guys admire him..... Also his gilfriend and his best friend make a wonderful trio

bigkrev

Number Call 5 (end)

After what happened last chapter, I'm glad Eighto was able to confess before the school year ended and all hope was lost. Really sweet story.

bigkrev

The First Thing I Do In The Morning Is 2-3

Out of nowhere, nearly a year and a half after the original chapter (which I thought was a one-shot), 2 more translated chapters show up. The 2nd continues on the ideas of the first chapter, with Natsuo being an insensitive dick to the unnamed older brother/narrator, but the 3rd chapter takes a turn and makes the older brother seem like a sex crazed psychopath who isn't afraid to rape his younger "brother". There is a 4th chapter coming soon, and I just can't see this ending well for either side.

Series is still great to read though.

To Love Ru END

Well it's a fun series, but I feel like Jitsu wa Watashi wa kinda does the formula better. Kotegawa and Lala were the best.

I'll read Darkness after a short hiatus to read something else.

Rhapsody

Banned
Nisekoi 165

Still surprised that they're still going back to the key stuff. Also Raku has Shuu and Haru as his wingmen in this series, and he's still getting nowhere.

wonzo

Banned
Midori

Every bit as good as I remembered the anime being, Maruo's incredibly moody art is so utterly captivating to read through and that's something that the anime just simply couldn't fully realise visually. WIll hunt down the prequel which made the first half of the anime.

The Laughing Vampire

This is honestly the best vampire thing I've read in recent memory thanks to Maruo's ability to so deftly nail the horrifyingly beautiful and twisted nature of the subject both visually and thematically. Goddamn.

oh and it's really blatant how much furuya aped this for Lychee Light Club but at least the most memorable bits from that were still his! #teamtoilet

dani_dc

Nisekoi 165

Haru did her best, but not even God himself could get those two dating.

I hope the pendant gets lost forever, but that's clearly not going to happen.

Minamoto-kun Monogatari 162

That would be healthy thing to do, I'm guessing he'll try to move out at a first opportunity but eventually go back to living with his aunt.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nisekoi 165

Still surprised that they're still going back to the key stuff. Also Raku has Shuu and Haru as his wingmen in this series, and he's still getting nowhere.

Because telling a girl you like her is like soooooo hard man

dude is the biggest fucken pussy in the universe

Jintor

Murcielago

what even is this

tonally just right, flips between absurd action, complete sociopath super creepy mc, and all in all complete nonsense in a kind of good kind of bad mostly vaguely entertaining way

also occasional yuri bangin'

like if quinten tarantino, instead of having a foot fetish, was really into ladies banging each other and also people dying a lot in ridiculously gory ways instead of just stylishly gory ways

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I mean look at this

it has been bugging me for awhile since I started reading this manga..... it has to be deliberate

the author needs to make a character state the obvious

she has a crab on her head

OMG!

Nisekoi readers have Stockholm syndrome with the manga.

True.

Black Bear Killer

A tragic story about a bear that work for Yakuza. Ridiculously stylish.

Zai x10 shoplifting arc 3

Match of the century, grocery phantom thief vs Marketplace security!

Wakabayashi 4 koma 31

I like this chapter...probably

Revo

Gepetto s2 18-19

Time for Nero to fully think about his situation
And they better not be mind controlling wale when she gets out D:<

Zweizer

Banned
Chotto Kawaii Iron Maiden 1-7

I started reading about torture instruments on Wikipedia after this.

bad ideas

Murcielago

what even is this

tonally just right, flips between absurd action, complete sociopath super creepy mc, and all in all complete nonsense in a kind of good kind of bad mostly vaguely entertaining way

also occasional yuri bangin'

like if quinten tarantino, instead of having a foot fetish, was really into ladies banging each other and also people dying a lot in ridiculously gory ways instead of just stylishly gory ways

Hohohoho~

Meitantei Marnie 1

73xBeyx.jpg

Mystery / detective series from the glorious Franken Fran author, starring a schoolgirl with fuwa fuwa hair and her PI father. The first chapter's sleuthing didn't have much meat to it, which was likely down to it being an introduction, so I'm hopeful that subsequent stories will have greater development. I'd follow it regardless given the pedigree behind the manga.

Alice is best girl though!
XcSEQ24.png

D-Frags - 60~65.5

lol

I enjoyed the conclusion to this challenge arc. Kazama going to such extreme lengths to win
shaving his head
was fun to see. I'll read up the rest later.

dramatis

Gunka no Balzer 30

International conferences are both a drag and a blast.

I hope the king isn't yet another puppet, he seems like he could be an interesting independent actor that throws wrenches into Mr. Keikaku's plans.

Zweizer

Banned
Black Bear Killer (One-shot) by Hisa Masato

The tale of a bear employed as an assassin for the yakuza. Although the story and themes depicted aren't anything too outlandish, the art and tones, evoking of the film noir genre, make it a pretty compelling read overall.

Choujin Gakuen 24
It will take years. Decades. Perhaps even centuries. But eventually, the Oska route will become worthwhile. Assuming genetics are kind to her, at least.

The wacky demon family became even wackier this chapter. Lexus's level up should make him more of an asset moving forwards, and a bit more likable generally. The emperor continues to be the least most terrifying thing ever. His wife seems like a disinterested overseer rather than being any kind of hard counter to him, for better or worse. God help the world if there're grandparents still to be introduced.

VRMN

Onodera basically threw herself at him several times at this point, he's not only a pussy but completely oblivious and delusional.

This is true of so many series of this type it's hard to fault Nisekoi specifically. He can't realize because if he does, he couldn't believably write it where Raku didn't confess. He can't take a perceived risk and confess because no matter which girl he confessed to, they would accept. (Maybe Tsugumi or Haru would hesitate, but they could be talked out of their hesitation.) He can't be confessed towards because that would cut whoever did out of the harem if he rejected them and it'd be the end of the series if he accepted them.

You can replace those names with those of so many other harem romcoms it's not even funny. It's a genre flaw more than one specifically with Nisekoi and while Komi can definitely draw, he's not going to be the writer to challenge these conventions. I also doubt any writer that would is going to be published in Jump, but that's just me.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Girl's of The Wild

Dal Dal once again proving to be worst girl.

Shokugeki no soma 112 casanova version
While I like the early version get before the casanova, still think casanova does a better job translating, seems more fluid. Like the Soma was able to pick himself over the course of training (and the manga did a time lapse of that). Looks like 113 is a set up for a battle and 114 will be an actual cooking challenge.

In my opinion:
Best girl (for Soma): Megumi
Best girl (in series): Alice
Best girl (in terms of design): Alice and Nikumi (like short hair on girls)
Worst girl (in terms of character development): Erina
Best guy (for Soma if we somehow went the DTL route): Takumi

Genshiken 110
Well that escalated quickly into a DTL route. Honestly though I prefer Hato or Sue for Madarame versus Keiko and Angela. Seems like they take a relationship more seriously

Nisekoi 165
What is this farce, I don't even know

dani_dc

This is true of so many series of this type it's hard to fault Nisekoi specifically. He can't realize because if he does, he couldn't believably write it where Raku didn't confess. He can't take a perceived risk and confess because no matter which girl he confessed to, they would accept. (Maybe Tsugumi or Haru would hesitate, but they could be talked out of their hesitation.) He can't be confessed towards because that would cut whoever did out of the harem if he rejected them and it'd be the end of the series if he accepted them.

You can replace those names with those of so many other harem romcoms it's not even funny. It's a genre flaw more than one specifically with Nisekoi and while Komi can definitely draw, he's not going to be the writer to challenge these conventions. I also doubt any writer that would is going to be published in Jump, but that's just me.

It's all about what you do with it, Nisekoi can bring it to ridiculous levels.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa also suffers of this to some degree but it's not as blatant as Nisekoi, and while the character is oblivious, he does consider their actions.
Raku goes "No way she wouldn't mean that" at everything any girls does towards him.

VRMN

It's all about what you do with it, Nisekoi can bring it to ridiculous levels.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa also suffers of this to some degree but it's not as blatant as Nisekoi, and while the character is oblivious, he does consider their actions.
Raku goes "No way she wouldn't mean that" at everything any girls does towards him.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa is also a much better series for it and is hardly what I would consider typical of the genre. In part because it cares more about being funny than about developing its relationships and isn't shy about hiding that fact, so the series wouldn't necessarily be over if Asahi and Youko got together the way Nisekoi would be if Raku got with Chitoge for real. (Which is what will happen; the very existence of Magical Patisserie Kosaki-chan in which neither she nor Raku are complete idiots kind of cemented it for me. Not that it wasn't obvious before.)

Sai

Girls of the Wild's

Dal Dal throwin' down.

... 'bout to get thrown down too. >_< Hope this marks the end of this annoying unrequited love of hers.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Girls of the Wild's

Dal Dal throwin' down.

... 'bout to get thrown down too. >_< Hope this marks the end of this annoying unrequited love of hers.

Yes! So tired of Dal Dal. Queen has clearly been #1 since day 1.

Crocodile

One Punch Man - Chapter 65?

How is this only 5 pages? Fuck me :(

Fubuki is so clueless, a bit annoying that we probably have to wait a while before she catches on how strong Saitama actually is :/

One Punch Man - The story so far.........

So I've read up until the latest Murata chapters. This manga is AMAZING. The scale, the epicness, the humor, the art. It just been a blast to read and now I'm disappointed I have to suffer a drip feed of content now (especially since chapters can be super short). It feels like so much has happened and yet there are so many things we don't know and a lot of plot threads left dangling:

• -The monsters of the House of Evolution may have been defeated but the doctor and his clones are still around
  • -Who are "The Organization" and are they at all related to Genos' past?
  • -Just what the heck are Smiling Mask, Metal Knight and some other unsavory members of the Heroes Association up to?
  • -How the fuck did Saitama, who was clearly a normal person, become so godlike
  • -Where are the source of all these monsters that seem to run rampant around the world and is their increasing frequency related to their source (if they have a common one)?
  • -One dude turned into a Crab Monster from eating too much crab. One dude turned into like a Lizard Mutant because he liked Lizards so much. Is this just random nonsense, parody or perhaps a hit about the mechanics of this universe? Like maybe some sort of Spiral power that might explain how, for example, Saitama became so godlike?
  • -We've already fought back an alien invasion. How do you top that?
  • -Nobody noticed King was just a regular dude? Really? :/
  • -There are too many S-Rank heroes (there are too many in general I feel across all ranks). Way too many of these characters are clearly joke characters. Pig God? Eugene Knight? That Black Bodybuilder dude who didn't do shit during the invasion? Watchdog-Man? C'mon son!
  • -Why are the hero code names so bad? LOL
  • -Why is there so little female representation in this series? Aside from that Mosquito Girl early on there have been no other villianesses. Aside from Fubuki (who way below Genos or Sonic in terms of power level) and her sister (who just HAD to be a "quasi-loli but its ok because she's 28 or whatever") there are no female heroes worth talking about. Even in Marvel/DC comics where a male hero/heroes are the focus, there isn't a lack of noteworthy female heroes/villains and I think it kind of sucks that OPM is lacking in this department.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom