• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTY| Creatively Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurita

Crocodile, OPM is a comedy about super-heroes, of course they're going to have stupid names and random powers.

So like american comics.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I used to like Dal Dal more. Watching her has just been miserable for a while now.

Her descent into delusions has been painful to watch. She's already got that new guy too.

Will be getting DeSu from Kodansha, passing on the rest of the licenses. weak panel.
tumblr_nm7dj9azXt1s7mwd3o1_400.jpg

One Punch Man - Chapter 65?

How is this only 5 pages? Fuck me :(

Fubuki is so clueless, a bit annoying that we probably have to wait a while before she catches on how strong Saitama actually is :/

One Punch Man - The story so far.........

So I've read up until the latest Murata chapters. This manga is AMAZING. The scale, the epicness, the humor, the art. It just been a blast to read and now I'm disappointed I have to suffer a drip feed of content now (especially since chapters can be super short). It feels like so much has happened and yet there are so many things we don't know and a lot of plot threads left dangling:

• -The monsters of the House of Evolution may have been defeated but the doctor and his clones are still around
  • -Who are "The Organization" and are they at all related to Genos' past?
  • -Just what the heck are Smiling Mask, Metal Knight and some other unsavory members of the Heroes Association up to?
  • -How the fuck did Saitama, who was clearly a normal person, become so godlike
  • -Where are the source of all these monsters that seem to run rampant around the world and is their increasing frequency related to their source (if they have a common one)?
  • -One dude turned into a Crab Monster from eating too much crab. One dude turned into like a Lizard Mutant because he liked Lizards so much. Is this just random nonsense, parody or perhaps a hit about the mechanics of this universe? Like maybe some sort of Spiral power that might explain how, for example, Saitama became so godlike?
  • -We've already fought back an alien invasion. How do you top that?
  • -Nobody noticed King was just a regular dude? Really? :/
  • -There are too many S-Rank heroes (there are too many in general I feel across all ranks). Way too many of these characters are clearly joke characters. Pig God? Eugene Knight? That Black Bodybuilder dude who didn't do shit during the invasion? Watchdog-Man? C'mon son!
  • -Why are the hero code names so bad? LOL
  • -Why is there so little female representation in this series? Aside from that Mosquito Girl early on there have been no other villianesses. Aside from Fubuki (who way below Genos or Sonic in terms of power level) and her sister (who just HAD to be a "quasi-loli but its ok because she's 28 or whatever") there are no female heroes worth talking about. Even in Marvel/DC comics where a male hero/heroes are the focus, there isn't a lack of noteworthy female heroes/villains and I think it kind of sucks that OPM is lacking in this department.
My theory is some sort of deity or force or something exists in the OPM universe that responds to people's strong desires. Saitama got so strong because he desired to be a strong hero more than anyone else

This is the actual canon reason, unless they reveal Saitama is some kind of Alien or Saiyan or something which would be stupid.
I am going to guess he was effected by some radio active phenomenon hence why his hair fell out

for all we know he could be extremely unstable and is exponentially getting stronger and stronger before his body can't handle it no more and eventually explodes

Turok_TTZ

How is this only 5 pages? Fuck me :(

Fubuki is so clueless, a bit annoying that we probably have to wait a while before she catches on how strong Saitama actually is :/

One Punch Man - The story so far.........

So I've read up until the latest Murata chapters. This manga is AMAZING. The scale, the epicness, the humor, the art. It just been a blast to read and now I'm disappointed I have to suffer a drip feed of content now (especially since chapters can be super short). It feels like so much has happened and yet there are so many things we don't know and a lot of plot threads left dangling:

• -The monsters of the House of Evolution may have been defeated but the doctor and his clones are still around
  • -Who are "The Organization" and are they at all related to Genos' past?
  • -Just what the heck are Smiling Mask, Metal Knight and some other unsavory members of the Heroes Association up to?
  • -Where are the source of all these monsters that seem to run rampant around the world and is their increasing frequency related to their source (if they have a common one)?
  • -One dude turned into a Crab Monster from eating too much crab. One dude turned into like a Lizard Mutant because he liked Lizards so much. Is this just random nonsense, parody or perhaps a hit about the mechanics of this universe? Like maybe some sort of Spiral power that might explain how, for example, Saitama became so godlike?
  • -There are too many S-Rank heroes (there are too many in general I feel across all ranks). Way too many of these characters are clearly joke characters. Pig God? Eugene Knight? That Black Bodybuilder dude who didn't do shit during the invasion? Watchdog-Man? C'mon son!
  • -Why is there so little female representation in this series? Aside from that Mosquito Girl early on there have been no other villianesses. Aside from Fubuki (who way below Genos or Sonic in terms of power level) and her sister (who just HAD to be a "quasi-loli but its ok because she's 28 or whatever") there are no female heroes worth talking about. Even in Marvel/DC comics where a male hero/heroes are the focus, there isn't a lack of noteworthy female heroes/villains and I think it kind of sucks that OPM is lacking in this department.
Can't really spoiler alert an adaptation of something that has been long since out.

as to lack of femmes, I blame that on Makai no Ossan. /trollpost.

Furyous

Chouji Gakuen 24 SPOILING SPOILERS OF SPOILERS

Was that future Oska? Why did Adam's shadow follow her? If the future is any indication Adam might win in the long run. Bring back Black Adam.

somedevil

I am going to guess he was effected by some radio active phenomenon hence why his hair fell out

for all we know he could be extremely unstable and is exponentially getting stronger and stronger before his body can't handle it no more and eventually explodes

Have you read ahead because in the one version another character gave his theory on why he is so powerful?

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

There's your answer for Saitama power.
Also add that he didn't use Air Conditioner and he still done the whole routine even when he have tootache and muscle ache. And banana.

But another explanation for his power. Spoiler from ONE version
One guy theorize that Saitama achieve that power because he break his limit. Basically, his method work because he really is that weak and normally not supposed to be able to do what he did for years without stopping.

Hero code name is bad because it's a parody and the executive who think of the name really don't give a fuck.

[*]-We've already fought back an alien invasion. How do you top that?
Oh, ONE did manage to top that.

[*]-Nobody noticed King was just a regular dude? Really? :/
That's the joke, and its there to show how bad the hero executive management is.

somedevil

did they?

I am up to date on the original version but I never saw that
Then again my memory is somewhat foggy after awhile

Chapter 56 of the one Version.

The former head of the house of evolution speculates that he has removed his limiter that limits the growth of humans. He is the only ordinary person that through effort alone removed it and evolved to his current level. He basically the most evolved human on the earth and to get this power he gave up his hair and feels alienated because he has no opponent strong enough to give him the enjoyment of a good fight.

The former head of the house of evolution speculates that he has removed his limiter that limits the growth of humans. He is the only ordinary person that through effort alone removed it and evolved to his current level. He basically the most evolved human on the earth and to get this power he gave up his hair and feels alienated because he has no opponent strong enough to give him the enjoyment of a good fight.

Also
that last arc is kinda edging this theory nearer to being legit since it was happening to the "big bad" as well as he was surpassing his limits due to the bullshit he placed/got himself into and instead of succumbing he got way stronger/faster/etc. Hell he reached to a point where he started mopping the floor with almost everyone else in the organization.

Wakabayashi Toshiya's 4-koma 25
That chapter was so sweet, I can't do the "It's so sweet I had to check my blood sugar level" joke again, I'm running out of BS strips dammit.

Also
that last arc is kinda edging this theory nearer to being legit since it was happening to the "big bad" as well as he was surpassing his limits due to the bullshit he placed/got himself into and instead of succumbing he got way stronger/faster/etc. Hell he reached to a point where he started mopping the floor with almost everyone else in the organization.

I see..... then that would rather it be
breaking away from human limitation/evolving to knew heights rather then some outside effect like radiation changing him

it could be more of a
mental limit removal rather then a physical removal hence why even though Saitama's training is less intensive he was able to achieve better results due to mentally breaking his human limitation

The thing in question though is
that will this eventually have a negative effect on him....... will it eventually be too much and erode his body to nothingness

Salty Studio 44

About fuckin time.

Girls of the Wilds 183

About fuckin time.

Queens is going to break Dal Dal's body but hot college dude is going to nurse her back to health.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I see..... then that would rather it be
breaking away from human limitation/evolving to knew heights rather then some outside effect like radiation changing him

it could be more of a
mental limit removal rather then a physical removal hence why even though Saitama's training is less intensive he was able to achieve better results due to mentally breaking his human limitation

The thing in question though is
that will this eventually have a negative effect on him....... will it eventually be too much and erode his body to nothingness

There was also the homeless dude had some powers granted to him by an unknown being and then taken away.

LeleSocho

Banned
Shokugeki no Soma 113

No, just no. You can't even choose the best ingredients therefore you can't manage to make a dish for a restaurant that aims at frigging 3 Michelin stars.

Jintor

maybe i should read the ONE version too.

I am kinda annoyed at the lack of female rep now that I think about it though.

LeleSocho

Banned
maybe i should read the ONE version too.

I am kinda annoyed at the lack of female rep now that I think about it though.

I started with Murata then switched to ONE because of the slow releases... i came to the conclusion that i actually prefer ONE's art.

Jintor

But it's so much funnier seeing half-assed Saitama against the god-tier everything else (except Tornado when she's being a brat)

Crocodile

I mean, yes, I remember that panel (seeing the LEGIT SHOOK faces again is hilarious). I'm just trying to figure out if Saitama is that strong because "reasons" or if it actually thematically ties into the larger narrative of the story (again see Spiral Power in Tegen Toppa Gurren Lagann as an example). Dedication, pushing past one's own limits, how you can block your own progress more than anyone else, what it means to be a hero and why, etc. are themes that consistently bear themselves over the course of the story even in the midst of the jokes and alien invasions. I'm trying to figure out if the manga is telling me something and if/when they reveal his "secret" it will be the type of thing you could have figured out if you were paying attention to the story because the themes had been running as an undercurrent this whole time.

Basically, "how far does the rabbit hole go" is what I'm trying to figure out and as I see it now, it could go either way.

I haven't looked at some of the spoiler bars but given there is some discussion going on, it seems there indeed may be more than meets the eye with regards to Saitama's power :)

Crocodile, OPM is a comedy about super-heroes, of course they're going to have stupid names and random powers.

So like american comics.

I have no qualms with the powers. The names are just especially stupid :p

I started with Murata then switched to ONE because of the slow releases... i came to the conclusion that i actually prefer ONE's art.

WUT?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shokugeki no soma 112 version
While I like the early version get before the , still think does a better job translating, seems more fluid. Like the Soma was able to pick himself over the course of training (and the manga did a time lapse of that). Looks like 113 is a set up for a battle and 114 will be an actual cooking challenge.

FYI don't mention specific scanlators. It has been considered as telling people where to get illegal pirated material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom