• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTY| Creatively Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allaur

Hi everyone.

I was lurking here more then one year and was finally approved not so long ago.
During that year i managed to read Oyasumi Punpun when there was lats boom of reading it thanks to Zweizer.
I found a glory of Prison School on my own, but thanks to MangaGaf I found about Dowman Sayman, Jitsu Wa... and probably about a lot of other things, which I can't right now remember.

I do not read Nisekoi but watch anime, so my girls rating for now looks like this:
Marika>Chitoge>Tsugumi>Onodera

Speaking about my manga favorites:
Yugami-kun ni wa Tomodachi ga Inai
Prison School
Fujimi Lovers (but last chaptes sucked a bit, so I'm not sure how it'll go from there)
Nickelodeon
Oyasumi Punpun (probably... I'm glad that I read it, but I'm still not sure how I feel about it)
Medaka Box (starting from Kamagawa appearance)

So starting from today I'm in your care. Nice to meet you everyone.

P.S. English is not my native, so I'm sorry for possible mistakes.

Vito

Banned
Magi 25

71lm3OIjB5L.jpg

Rhapsody

Banned
Hi everyone.

During that year i managed to read Oyasumi Punpun when there was lats boom of reading it thanks to Zweizer.
I found a glory of Prison School on my own, but thanks to MangaGaf I found about Dowman Sayman, Jitsu Wa... and probably about a lot of other things, which I can't right now remember.

I do not read Nisekoi but watch anime, so my girls rating for now looks like this:

Prison School
Fujimi Lovers (but last chaptes sucked a bit, so I'm not sure how it'll go from there)
Nickelodeon
Oyasumi Punpun (probably... I'm glad that I read it, but I'm still not sure how I feel about it)

Welcome. Check out Onani Master Kurosawa if you haven't.

upandaway

Hi everyone.

Prison School
Nickelodeon

Marika and Medaka Box, we buddies

Allaur

Welcome. Check out Onani Master Kurosawa if you haven't.

I read it like three years ago... Was really impressed at that time (ending was really nice), have plans to read it again, but not sure that will appreciate it the same way.

I probably should say that I really like "slice of life" stuff. But I think that I already read (or watched) the best from the genre.

Nightbird

Assassination Classroom

Well, i thought there was more to that, but i'm happy either way.

But seriously, whats up with that Woman and her T-Shirts?

Hi everyone.

Prison School
Nickelodeon

Welcome to the Club ^^

dani_dc

Hi everyone.

Prison School
Nickelodeon

Welcome.

I recommend you read Kimi no Iru Machi and Berserk.

Allaur

Welcome.

I recommend you read Kimi no Iru Machi and Berserk.

Finished KNIM already (read it in ongoing form from chapter 90 till the end) - it was not so rage-inducing like some people thought. (I think I read all Seo's manga to be honest...)

And Berserk - I think last time I read all available chapters two years ago, don't want to come back for it for now. But I began readin Kingdom (first hundred chapters for now) - this one reminds me about Berserk quite a lot.

Welcome! Now go read Shokugeki no Soma and worship our Lady and Savior Megumi Tadokoro
I tried reading cooking manga (Bambino and Soma), but somehow I'm not feelin it. But I should say that I enjoyed first episode of Soma's anime, so may be after it is finished I'll try to read it once again.

upandaway

Finished KNIM already (read it in ongoing form from chapter 90 till the end) - it was not so rage-inducing like some people thought. (I think I read all Seo's manga to be honest...)

And Berserk - I think last time I read all available chapters two years ago, don't want to come back for it for now. But I began readin Kingdom (first hundred chapters for now) - this one reminds me about Berserk quite a lot.

I tried reading cooking manga (Bambino and Soma), but somehow I'm not feelin it. But I should say that I enjoyed first episode of Soma's anime, so may be after it is finished I'll try to read it once again.
If you like SoL, did you try:
Aqua
Himouto
Petit-Tan
Flying Witch
Otoyomegatari
Riko & Haru & Irukawa Hot Springs

Or rather do you have a readlist so we can efficiently and compactly force our recommendations on you without you asking for them

random25

Hi everyone.

Prison School
Nickelodeon

Welcome! Just realized I never did an introduction here myself lol.

Allaur

If you like SoL, did you try:
Aqua
Himouto
Petit-Tan
Flying Witch
Otoyomegatari
Riko & Haru & Irukawa Hot Springs

Or rather do you have a readlist so we can efficiently and compactly force our recommendations on you without you asking for them

Himouto - is it which Umaru-chan is? I read 5-10 chapters of it, but it's too simple for me with some 4-koma flavor (I rarely enjoy them, but Ojojojo and one about love-stories are good).
I think I haven't read other manga you named, and that is really impressive)

I don't have a readlist (I tried to do it for anime long time ago, but droped this idea), but you all can make something like your "top ten" list and may be I'll find something for myself in it (or share my impressions on what I read from it).
I think I arleady have a "7 seeds", "Ore to Akuma no Blues" and "Oddman" in my "to read" list. With "7 seeds" I have a problem with art (usually I'm not a fan of shojo / shojo artstyle, but there are some exceptions(Honey and Clover (but in anime form) is one of my favorite shows)) and with others right now I have a problem named Bloodborne on my hands. But I almost finished it, so I plan to read them after.

LeleSocho

Banned
Question for Manga Gaf:

have you guys ever started a manga series halfway through? or in some extreme cases even started a series on the latest chapter, disregarding the beginning and able to keep up?

I've done this a couple of times already (HXH ant arc, haven't gone back to read any previous arcs, Ippo vs Woolie in Hajime no ippo, heck even Skypeia in One Piece). I love Baki the grappler, even though i started on the 2nd season of the manga (right after he won vs Jack).

just catching the tidbits enough who is who and why this is like this.

I'm essentially doing this with Bleach, before i only saw the battle Aizen vs Ichigo and then started reading like 10 chapters ago at best... i don't even know what a reiatsu is or what is soul society or huecho mundo and all the stuff they talk about, i'm there only for the OPness of Aizen.

Welcome and don't worry about your English it's good and if it was bad then it means you are better than me because i've not noticed and i post here often so people are used to bad English.

Zweizer

Banned
Hi everyone.

Prison School
Nickelodeon

Aw shucks. Welcome~

Concerning Punpun, have you read the interview with Asano? It sheds a light on many things that happened during the course of the series.

Himouto - is it which Umaru-chan is? I read 5-10 chapters of it, but it's too simple for me with some 4-koma flavor (I rarely enjoy them, but Ojojojo and one about love-stories are good).
I think I haven't read other manga you named, and that is really impressive)

I don't have a readlist (I tried to do it for anime long time ago, but droped this idea), but you all can make something like your "top ten" list and may be I'll find something for myself in it (or share my impressions on what I read from it).
I think I arleady have a "7 seeds", "Ore to Akuma no Blues" and "Oddman" in my "to read" list. With "7 seeds" I have a problem with art (usually I'm not a fan of shojo / shojo artstyle, but there are some exceptions(Honey and Clover (but in anime form) is one of my favorite shows)) and with others right now I have a problem named Bloodborne on my hands. But I almost finished it, so I plan to read them after.

For slice of life series, on top of what panda recommended to you, I suggest you also check out Yotsuba&!, Hinamatsuri and Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru. As for 7 Seeds, don't let the art deter you from reading it, as the manga contains some of the best story and character development of the medium.

Either way, enjoy your stay, and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions~

wonzo

Banned
Chinggis Khan v1-5

This isn't the most historically accurate thing I've read but it's a pretty good primer on the life and death of the a forged in neverending brutality. He who paved the very bedrock of the worlds largest empire in human history with the very genocidal thuggishness that surrounded his entire upbringing.

My only complaint with this is I felt it kinda whitewashed just how brutal the Mongol Empire was but then again I'm not an expert on the subject matter and even then, in the spite of my misgivings this was no less a compelling read from start to finish.

Now, onto Sangokushi…

Usobuko

Banned
Hinamatsuri
YKK
Kengo Hanazawa manga
Adachi manga
Jiro Matsumoto manga
Kaoru Mori manga
Sumomo yumeka manga
Hiroki Endo manga

And the other Asano stuff. I may be still missing some of them but these are the more prominent ones that are usually within the SoL genre.

Welcome.

Question for Manga Gaf:

have you guys ever started a manga series halfway through? or in some extreme cases even started a series on the latest chapter, disregarding the beginning and able to keep up?

I've done this a couple of times already (HXH ant arc, haven't gone back to read any previous arcs, Ippo vs Woolie in Hajime no ippo, heck even Skypeia in One Piece). I love Baki the grappler, even though i started on the 2nd season of the manga (right after he won vs Jack).

Nisekoi and Hero Academia

Allaur

Aw shucks. Welcome~

Concerning Punpun, have you read the interview with Asano? It sheds a light on many things that happened during the course of the series.

Yeah, I read it. Really enjoyed his idea that
"even if Punpun is still alive - it's worse then death to him"
. Some things really need that kind of endings. It felt like some anti-"Catcher in the rye" for me. Thinking about trying to read Solanin from him some time this year.

For slice of life series, on top of what panda recommended to you, I suggest you also check out Yotsuba&!, Hinamatsuri and Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru. As for 7 Seeds, don't let the art deter you from reading it, as the manga contains some of the best story and character development of the medium.

Either way, enjoy your stay, and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions~

I was thinking about readin Yotsuba, but I rarely read some pure comedy without plot development (I have this kind of impression about Yotsuba, no offence, may be I'm mistaken) so it's not in my top priority right now.
Same can be said about Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru - saw some anime episodes when it aired.
I think I'll try Hinamatsuri - doesn't look bad, not sure what I feel about premise.

Zweizer

Banned
Thinking about trying to read Solanin from him some time this year.

Solanin is fantastic as well, albeit far more down-to-earth.

I was thinking about readin Yotsuba, but I rarely read some pure comedy without plot development (I have this kind of impression about Yotsuba, no offence, may be I'm mistaken) so it's not in my top priority right now.
Same can be said about Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru - saw some anime episodes when it aired.
I think I'll try Hinamatsuri - doesn't look bad, not sure what I feel about premise.

Hinamatsuri is better than the other two in terms of plot, though it has a slightly more supernatural feel. It's a pretty quirky manga with brilliant humor. Since you prefer more story-driven slice of life series, I'd also suggest you read Stretch, Horimiya, Hi-Score Girl, Yandere Kanojo and Molester Man.

Peco

Yeah, I read it. Really enjoyed his idea that
"even if Punpun is still alive - it's worse then death to him"
. Some things really need that kind of endings. It felt like some anti-"Catcher in the rye" for me. Thinking about trying to read Solanin from him some time this year.

Please read Bokko and Ciguatera.

Thank you.

Allaur

Added all recomendations in my "to read" list. Will go though them after I finish Bloodborne (looks like I need 2-3 days to do it). So thanks everyone.

Zweizer

Banned
Added all recomendations in my "to read" list. Will go though them after I finish Bloodborne (looks like I need 2-3 days to do it). So thanks everyone.

Take your time~

Just make sure you don't let your backlog grow too big.

Like me.

There's no end in sight ( TωT)

Revo

Chikyuu no Houkago 9

I forget after every chapter that there are dangerous things in this world so I become immensely frightened that something will happen to the characters.

Chinggis Khan v1-5

This isn't the most historically accurate thing I've read but it's a pretty good primer on the life and death of the a forged in neverending brutality. He who paved the very bedrock of the worlds largest empire in human history with the very genocidal thuggishness that surrounded his entire upbringing.

My only complaint with this is I felt it kinda whitewashed just how brutal the Mongol Empire was but then again I'm not an expert on the subject matter and even then, in the spite of my misgivings this was no less a compelling read from start to finish.

Now, onto Sangokushi…
Nah its fine. I feel the same way about Kingdoms. It's a fun read but you just know it's mostly pure bullshit with how they treat the Warring States period.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
The Legend of Koizumi

Why oh why did i ever drop this?

Oh yeah, hypest mahjong manga ever

Question for Manga Gaf:

Sometime, i did skip Baki 1st arc.

How far are you?

It really drops the ball after
Koizumi defeats Hitler and gets stranded on the moon and the series starts dibbling on Japan politicians instead of Super Arians, it really feels like the manga progression went backwards.

I'm still unsure about paying 2500 yen to go this thing, it will either be extremely disappointing or life scarring.

Oh, i thought it's going to be free.

Hi everyone.

Prison School
Nickelodeon

Welcome~
Don't worry i'm sure my English is the worst one in here (lol)
Have you read Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer?

Sengoku Youko 67

Douren is so manly

Monster x Monster 9

NEET can communicate with monster huh? I guess the guilt is what caused him to be afraid of monster.

Usobuko

Banned
Redemption or growing up tales are always welcome in my books. Monster x Monster is gradually transcending to something I like.

Assassination Classroom 134

Odd they would get a middle school teacher for this, and I assume this secret facility would be close to Kunugigaoka ? Odd positioning.

In any case, his partners design was better than his design.

The Seven Deadly Sins

Jesus, they got massacred. The power scale in this series just jumped massively in like 3 chapters, these Ten Commandments are on some endgame Naruto/Bleach shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom