• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTY| Creatively Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wakabayashi Toshiya’s 4-koma Collection 31

u20oMpUl.png

All the feeling of will they will they not condensed into one chapter.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I haven't read the later volumes yet, but the first Haruhi Suzumiya novel was pretty good.

Also, they're OOP and might be hard to get ahold of, but back in the day Tokyopop released several of the early Slayers light novels in English, and if you can find those, I'd definitely recommend picking those up.

I try to stay away from everything TokyoPop since most works weren't done to completion. Curse you France!

That are licensed in the US?

10/10 total recommendations:
Spice & Wolf
Crest of the Stars (although it's out of print)

I enjoyed these:
Mahouka has been licensed, although it won't be out for awhile.
Danmachi, but it's a little trashy.
Karin is really cheesy, and the novels are tied into the manga, and they are out of print, and the last one wasn't released here before TP went out of business
Sword Art Online, although I've only read the first two volumes, which are the Aincrad arc. I hear it goes off the rails after that.

I haven't read or watched yet, so I can't give an opinion of the quality:
The first volume of Log Horizon is releasing this month.
Book Girl and the Suicidal Mime
Accel World

Not personally a fan yet:
Haruhi

There's probably other stuff that was just recently licensed that I'm forgetting about.

Mahouka is on my list, I love Danmachi cause of course, I plan on getting Karin even though I heard the ending alienated the entire fanbase... From what I've read. SAO is a no go in every instance.

Devil is a Part Timer
Index
Accel World

Kagerou Daze
Mahouka Koukou (eventually)

Accel World! Definitely gonna get that plus Devil and Index.

PK Gaming

Soma 83

Fine. Fine

I'll admit it.

Erina was... kind of... good decent in this chapter. I'm glad the author finally decided to leverage her in a way that didn't involve fanservice or her being overly obnoxious.

So uh yeah, more of this dish please.

Rainy

Banned
Girls of the Wild's 31-68
I'm really loving this lol. This is actually the first Korean webtoon I've ever read, should look into some others!

Lain

Zetman Volume 20
IGsb.jpg

Man, what a goddamn roller-coaster this volume was. Scratch that, what a goddamn roller-coaster this whole arc has been.
I still can't get over Hanako's death personally and then this volume
doubles down with Jin willfully taking the blame on himself for all that happened
. Why does Katsura have to play with my feelings in such a way?!
Anyways, powerful ending to the volume with the whole
love thing
. The color pages for that were just the perfect touch.

Turok_TTZ

Why can't I get a GF? 47

Toudouin. M8. Just play it cool, keep ice cold. I know this is a first for ye, but you're freaking out over nothing. if something is gonna happen, it will happen with zero regard to whether ye ready or not. imo, not. just roll with it.

Kazuki makes love happen!? at all boys high!! 35

Kazuki you son of a bitch, she's practically yours for the taking! forget the other girl and gun in on this one! Perfect opportunity to ditch Yu, GO FOR HER YOU SOB!
I desperately want Kazuki away from Yu. I am weird.

Toudouin is a blockhead but at least he ain't a dumbass like you!

...Am I the only one who is reading these?

Puruzi

Banned
Paizuru pls, Erina best girl.
The anime makes her look a little too curvy lol
. I'm pretty pissed that Dojima isn't jacked as fuck, dude could be in the NFL with the build he had in the manga.

The anime making her curvier is the only good thing about her. Literally.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Ugh, yet another fucking Soma plot where Soma doing bad means he's expelled. Can we stop with this predictable shit?

360pages

Ugh, yet another fucking Soma plot where Soma doing bad means he's expelled. Can we stop with this predictable shit?

To be fair, I think at this point it's super hard to make Manga Battles about cooking with any weight to them because it's not like someone is going to die if they lose a battle or something. So the best way to keep the stakes raised is if Soma is kicked out.

OR that or they battle to keep a dying restaurant in business or something.

Shengar

OR that or they battle to keep a dying restaurant in business or something.
Don't give them any ideas.
Seriously though, author needs to realize that stakes and such mustn't that big. It could be something small that the protagonist have a room to lose but also the chance to win it back. I think it's much better than this pseudo-big stakes.

360pages

Don't give them any ideas.
Seriously though, author needs to realize that stakes and such mustn't that big. It could be something small that the protagonist have a room to lose but also the chance to win it back. I think it's much better than this pseudo-big stakes.

Yugioh does that shit a lot. Since a lot of time the penalty for losing was losing your best card...but you can also win it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom