• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTY| Creatively Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saiki Kusuo no PSI Nan 26

That wOrd pun. How amazing of the mangaKA to run through it all chapter. Such penmanSHIp of this underappreciated Jump series.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
To be fair, I think at this point it's super hard to make Manga Battles about cooking with any weight to them because it's not like someone is going to die if they lose a battle or something. So the best way to keep the stakes raised is if Soma is kicked out.

OR that or they battle to keep a dying restaurant in business or something.

Actually that just means there's no drama because he never fucking loses.

Rainy

Banned
Girls of the Wild's 90-103
Tbh Dal Dal is getting a bit annoying now...I also wish we saw more Queen.
I think 103 chapters is enough for today, will read more tomorrow.

Boku no Hero Academia

Not bad Deku..... you got some toughness in you..... sadly if Half ice boy does indeed use his fire power then even if he does win he will be mentally struck as losing to his father

Deku is basically adding fuel to the kids path towards being another Sasuke

Pokemon Adventures: Black and White Vol.07

PNH1f7xl.png

N continues to ruin everything, the volume.

White makes her amazing return and Black blacks out.

At least someone super handsome returns~

Ugh, yet another fucking Soma plot where Soma doing bad means he's expelled. Can we stop with this predictable shit?

But it's already been set up since the beginning of the manga that Tootsuki runs on a mass expulsion model.

Consistency, breh. Unfortunately, this model also means every time Soma risk expulsion, there's no way he'll lose.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
But it's already been set up since the beginning of the manga that Tootsuki runs on a mass expulsion model.

Consistency, breh. Unfortunately, this model also means every time Soma risk expulsion, there's no way he'll lose.

this is why i love reading hunter x hunter, when you don't want shit to go down, it does. the author doesn't play it safe and makes you think twice when reading unlike every other processed bullshit that comes out from japanese manga. there are only a few mangas that come to mind that are uniquely original and dont make the plot overly obvious to the reader. i really hope soma gets expelled and finds a way to get back in, probably one of those food battles with one of the top ten chairs in the academy. spice things up a little tosh PLS!

this is why i love reading hunter x hunter, when you don't want shit to go down, it does. the author doesn't play it safe and makes you think twice when reading unlike every other processed bullshit that comes out from japanese manga. there are only a few mangas that come to mind that are uniquely original and dont make the plot overly obvious to the reader. i really hope soma gets expelled and finds a way to get back in, probably one of those food battles with one of the top ten chairs in the academy. spice things up a little tosh PLS!

Tosh is just the artist you know

Furyous

Eun Aran 59

From the looks of things Grand Master's former pupil with glasses received the 60 year old demonic ki Aran kept suppressing and not the OG full 500. Either way, I'd love to see how Aran (is it Aran Eun or Eun Aran?) beats the pupil without use of the stolen martial arts. Can't wait for Suskoo to hit Eun with dat dun dun!

4-gatsu no Kimi, Spica. 01

4n52D8Ul.jpg

Unlucky girl gets rejected from her high school of choice and ends up at the only one that'll take her in. She doesn't fit in until she has a chance encounters with two guys and ends up joining the astronomy club.

Seems like a fun shoujo. Two guys, one girl, dunno if it'll go right into the whole love triangle angle, but I'm all ready for that!

Somewhat dangerous high stakes aren't even needed to create tension if the rest of the plot and characters are interesting enough. A good example of this can be seen with Teppuu, where the characters have absolutely nothing whatsoever to lose, and yet tension b thick.

Then there's the one piece kind, where OMG LAW IS DED, WE SAW HIM GIT LEGIT SHOT AND DISMEMBERED, and the fanbase be all "k.".

But yeah, the occasional degree of true consequence works wonders.

Jintor

I think the root of tension is probably characters you give a damn about and empathise with

if they want something, and the reader cares about them wanting something, you can get tension out of that

Allaur

Hey MangaGAF, any must have LN's that were adapted into animes or haven't been and must be gotten? I'm getting ready to buy a ton of stuff and would preferably get everything at the same time.

Read Zaregoto (you probably will not find first volume on sale - it's out of print) - it's really glorious detective series about some wrecked character/characters. I really hope that it will someday have it's anime at least for brilliant second volume.

Moaradin

Can anyone recommend me some really good fantasy and/or medieval manga? Something with really good art as well. Preferably shorter and finished, but I'll read anything as long as it's worth it. Basically I got caught up with Berserk and now I'm craving for more lol.

Can anyone recommend me some really good fantasy and/or medieval manga? Something with really good art as well. Preferably shorter and finished, but I'll read anything as long as it's worth it. Basically I got caught up with Berserk and now I'm craving for more lol.

Kingdom - Warring States China
Vinland Saga - Vikings
Vagabond - Sengoku Era Japan
Otoyomegatari - Turkish Central Asia
Historie - Alexander the Great

Haven't read most of these, and they aren't super fantastical, more grounded then Berserk. Oh and these kinds of series are usually really long and unfinished, lol.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Kingdom - Warring States China
Vinland Saga - Vikings
Vagabond - Sengoku Era Japan
Otoyomegatari - Turkish Central Asia
Historie - Alexander the Great

Haven't read most of these, and they aren't super fantastical, more grounded then Berserk.

To call Kingdom grounded is uhhh..... sure.

To call Kingdom grounded is uhhh..... sure.

I mean in that there are no dragons and magic and shit. There's definitely things like ghosts and the huge gorilla guy Rankai, and people are way stronger then any person could ever get, but it isn't straight fantasy. Grounded compared to Berserk, all the conflict in Kingdom is People vs People.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Medieval:
Vinland Saga
Ookami no kuchi: wolfsmund

Fantasy:
Monster x Monster
How i stalked some dude with an exposed nipple and stumble upon zenithian sword.
Arslan senki
Drifters

Reknoc

Wolfsmund

Shoukoku no Altair
Imperial Guards

kingdom would be grounded if we lived in a world where everyone was a musou character

Alright grounded is probably the wrong word in reference to Kingdom. It's less fantastical then Berserk despite the Dynasty Warriors like levels of cleaving through mooks, is what I meant.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Decided to read Genshiken Nidaime after taking a break when the anime aired, and they just turned it into a Madarame harem now? This new book really feels like it's undoing everything good about the original Genshiken and just turning it into yet another otaku-reference book.

The only way this pays off is if Madarame hooks up with Hato.

Jintor

Yeah I read the first volume of that and wasn't feeling the vibe anymore? Which sucked, original Genshiken was baller.

The episode where Madarame goes clothes shopping is one of my favourite experiences in all of manga

Zweizer

Banned
The irony of Genshiken becoming what it was mocking in the first place is palpable.

• The Music of Marie
  • Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
  • Drifters
  • Mahou Tsukai no Yome
They're all fantasy, though Drifters somewhat blurs the line.

Jintor

It was never mocking it. It was just more about the culture surrounding it.

Which I guess makes what it's become make sense.

Quasar

I dunno. Theres parts of Genshiken I'm still liking. Even if I do find the Madarame harem ludicrous. Though it could play out in a interesting manner. I liked a big chunk of chapter 110 for instance. It just was kinda ruined by the final scene. The Mado/Hato heart to heart was great.

Jintor

I did get a good vibe off him (?)
Can't remember specifics of gender identity crisis and also didn't read past first volume so idk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom