• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTY| Creatively Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arabesque

I find it unreasonably annoying they the official translation for Orihime talking to Chad is that she just calls him "Chad." His name is Yasutora Sado. Ichigo is just rude and calls him "Chad." It doesn't make sense that Orihime would call him by whatever rude name that Ichigo calls him.

Bleach official translation had always been spotty, but this was always the case with Viz titles that were licensed in those days when they were so against relaxing their "Everything must be in English" standard. Even if it meant that Cero had to be called Hollow Flash (until they had to change it 25+ volumes in) and Orihime had to refer to both of her friends and Ichigo, Uruyu and Chad even though that wouldn't be correct (but you couldn't use honorifics back in those days, no matter what)

Thankfully, they had relaxed that policy a lot once they went digital, and their newer titles are much better, but the Bleach/One Piece translations remain as a relic of those old mistakes. It would be better if they just changed it to be more reflective of what is actually said in the RAWs, but I guess they are afraid it wouldn't be consistent.

Nisekoi

Kind of the most unrealistic chapter of Nisekoi

Was Nisekoi every pretending to be realistic?

Yes based on the plot Yuno and Asta may not only reach the treasure at the same time but may be highly important for the destruction of these Lotus characters. Love them pairing up on the same team.

Honestly, the Yuno/Asta meet up was kind of a bore. Luck taking out those Lotus agents seems like it might lead to a fun battle.

Author comments for those curious

BKb9SWu.jpg

Arabesque

But if the original Japanese has her calling him Sado, then yeah I guess it was just translators not doing the homework.

Oh I'm sure the translator knows that Orihime calls him Sado in Japanese, it's the fault of the editors who insisted in the past to not have any honorifics (or have Chad be called by 2 names) in the English version and deciding to stick with that for the rest of the series.

Food Wars 117

Prince of Smoke scene was the best one. He just does what he usually does, and the grins and smirks that followed lol.

I think best Council of Ten is about to be revealed, Spiky hair beside Isshiki senpai.

Bleach
CEwFZ9GW8AABmB_.png

Yukio is back, that was a surprise. Yukio, Grimmjow, Ulquiorra is the only last one we need. Kubo can do it. Introduce some time bending genjutsu or something, please.

Also Grimmjow outfit needs to be on a new Bleach colour page.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I always assumed it was that due to a case of the ol' Orihime airheadedness, as it were; she just thinks that's a nickname Ichigo uses because they're really good friends and he really isn't trying to be mean (he was), and she wants to be his friend so she uses it too.

But if the original Japanese has her calling him Sado, then yeah I guess it was just translators not doing the homework.

She consistently refers to the characters as Ishida-kun, Sado-kun, Kurosaki-kun. The "unofficial" translation for the chapter has her saying "Sado-kun" the same way she has the entire series.

Its part of his deliquent-character that Ichigo refers to people by both their first names, or rude made-up names. There are only a few characters he addresses with any kind of formality. Its why Hitsugaya and Byakuya get pissed off at Ichigo - he calls them "Toshiro" and "Byakuka" straight up.

Gakkyu Hotei The (not so) Final Chapter

Was a bit disappointing seeing that they decided to cop out and have her be
accidentally injured rather than a real culprit being around.
But then again this series was never great with its mysteries.

The comment about how fear being a worse motivation for wrapping the truth than malice could've been interesting had they been developing more on that angle, but since it was cancelled they couldn't do anything about it.

Now with that said, this was just stupid

After everything that happened in these past few chapters, and Inugami swearing up and down that Tento couldn't be the Red Ogre, we end with this? Like, really?

Ugh this series

Oh well, for Phoenix Wright The Junior Years, this was okay. As a series though, it was pretty weak.

Welp I was wrong about who the perp was. I was sure my favorite student would have been cleared but :/ OH well.
team Uozumi for life

Im glad at least Red Ogre ordeal gets to be handled in the Jump+ continuation, I guess it will be five or so chapters, or enough to fill a volume up with. This will be good if it involves Sarutobi too and one more case.

Arabesque

No World Trigger these past two weeks. Kind of disappointed.

Yeah, but I guess Ashihara needs to take care of his health in the end. Thankfully we will get it back next week (and hopefully we will get the colour pages for the second year anniversary then in 3 weeks)

Welp I was wrong about who the perp was. I was sure my favorite student would have been cleared but :/ OH well.
team Uozumi for life

Well
Uozumi was cleared of all charges. So he isn't really guilty in this case since it was an accident
I will say though
that 12 year old has one hell of a swing to manage to make someone go comatose after one hit

Im glad at least Red Ogre ordeal gets to be handled in the Jump+ continuation, I guess it will be five or so chapters, or enough to fill a volume up with. This will be good if it involves Sarutobi too and one more case.

It makes me wonder if the Jump + release schedule will be weekly or bi-weekly like Boys over Flowers is currently. I'm sure Sarutobi and Kijima will be involved heavily in this case given its the final case and it relates to all of them, and yeah 5 chapters seems to be enough to complete the 3rd volume (Which I guess will have Kijima on it, and 2nd having Sarutobi)

One thing that doesn't make sense is that
if Tento is Red Ogre afterall, why did Inugami/Kijima/Sarutobi wait for months until they confronted him about it?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Silver Spoon 111

The tone of this series got a lot different once Mikage and Hachiken essentially started planning out their wedding.

For all the things Beck does well, the romance in the latter half certainly isn't among it. If I remember correctly, there is more rage, head-shaking and stupidity to come, so enjoy!

And I think I should catch up on another longer running series, but what?

Gintama? Toriko? Nisekoi? Assassination Classrom?

Or should I read Usagi Drop? :D

Wow if Acacia is truly evil, I just dont. This series has become such a gamechanger in this gourmet world.

I've been expecting it since the end of the ichiryuu midora fight to be honest

bobohoro

Soon all of humanity's history shall be told through cats.

I'd prefer penguins.

Nisekoi 47

Oh come one, this whole drama is completely idiotic and Raku/Chitoge are both thicker than your average harem protagonist/main heroine. And what was up with him falling asleep when Kosaki finally blurted out something that would advance stuff? I mean, I'm used to this kind of stupid stuff, but stuffing all of it into 3 consecutive chapters is bad writing, even for this kind of manga.

And then the melodramatic the gap widens. I can't.

rrc1594

I'm really loving where WSJ is at and their future. Did they guy who decides what gets axed, the last 5 years get fired or something?

I like Black Cover, but I'm still salty over Hungery Joker

I hope Tomohiro is working on something, because Iron Knight was awesome too.

I'm really loving where WSJ is at and their future. Did they guy who decides what gets axed, the last 5 years get fired or something?

what gets axed is primarily decided by voter rankings. It's pretty much always obvious ahead of time what's going to be axed. Hungry joker had awful ratings and bad volume sales as well for that matter

Fuck Hungry Joker it was a complete ripoff of D-Gray Man and the worst part about it was how blatant it was. I'm sorry but Tabata as a writer is goddamn awful and Black Clover doesn't say otherwise.

http://i.imgur.com/gAtKjaK.jpg?1[/ig]

[URL="http://i.imgur.com/Jse0tSE.jpg?1"]Comical Soma[/URL] < [URL="http://i.imgur.com/Yf4zuu9.jpg?1"]Triumphant Soma[/URL] < [URL="http://i.imgur.com/W89BKPE.jpg?1"]Happy Soma[/URL] < [URL="http://i.imgur.com/uKZYjz8.jpg?1"]Confidant Soma[/URL] < [URL="http://i.imgur.com/joBRCJd.jpg?1"]Psychopathic Soma[/URL] < [URL="http://i.imgur.com/OjMT2jE.jpg?1"]Sexy Sweaty Soma[/URL][/QUOTE]

You left off So[spoiler]Taku[/spoiler]. and also nekkid soma.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Yakkyoku no Pochiyama-san 2
This is what happen when you try to do "long tail" and online business model without know it work. (lol)

bigkrev

Nisekoi 169
Thank God, there is like a 1% chance they are going to kill the second worst girl. Free up time for the better ones!

Gakkyu Hotei
7bd9f5f5b3dc686f2925a96f6eb4634e_zpsfbqve1v5.jpg

100% not evil
This is really stupid for a number of reasons, but when you are told to wrap it up, you gotta just throw logic out the window, I guess.

Hey MangaGaf, I took a two week break since there weren't any updates for the shounen I read.

I'm excited to be taking Japanese next semester so I'll be able to read raws without any problem and watch anime without subs. Can't wait!

Boku no Hero Academia

Of course Todoroki will be an unstoppable beast from now on. Kaccchan will have one heck of a fight with him.

Fairy Tail

More friendship nonsense from Natsu with a hint of vengeance for Igneel. Nothing new here.

Nanatsu no Taizai

It's time for Escanor to make his appearance in the main story! I wonder how the sins will get stronger aside from Melodias' obvious demon power boost. They got their shit pushed in by a weakened commandment. How will they fare?

Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches Vol.02

Kc0e2isl.jpg

Archer girl that ended up getting rejected in the end!

Well besides that , more fun character moments between everyone.

Haru Niwa

An one shot about a girl who's about to graduate suddenly facing with the reality she's growing up and the guy who suddenly came into her life.

It's a nice coming of age story with a romance that takes a back seat. It was really nice to see how she struggles with the idea of graduating from high school and becoming an adult and what it actually means. A nicely done one-shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom