• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTY| Creatively Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
#2 is definitely # 1

Ishiki is definitely not #7

#6 is probably #9

#9 is probably #5

#1 is probably #3

Isshiki has been the No. 7 since the 8th chapter and Eizan has been No. 9 since Chapter 40.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Can I give you a bear hug Haly?

image.php

Aizo

Banned
I hope Akito doesn't hate me for still not having finished the first volume of Touch. I've got five volumes sitting next to my study materials... Soon... soon...
Well the manga is continued, but I haven't read the new chapter yet so I'm curious if Hiramoto skills from Prison School will make the already excellent Me and The Devil Blues even better.
What!
There's a new chapter?? I can't find it :(

Lain

Ubel Blatt 17 cover and that Maybe's series

Who's that one on the cover of Ubel Blatt? The eyeglasses make me think of one of Glenn's fuck buddies (the one he was porking at the start of volume 14) but the hairstyle doesn't match.

Akainu

Who's that one on the cover of Ubel Blatt? The eyeglasses make me think of one of Glenn's fuck buddies (the one he was porking at the start of volume 14) but the hairstyle doesn't match.

she's the sword master or at least instructor.

Rhapsody

Banned
Isshiki was literally confirmed to be 7 when he was first introduced, lmao.

Not only that, but people's memories must be really bad if they even said this in chapter 118 lol

roBDOJl.png

Also all of this numbering reminded me of the dumb stuff in Bleach. Something about that guy randomly being 0 rank Espada? lol

bobohoro

haha well what is it about? it might not even be my cup of tea and all of you guys are just telling me to read it :p

Well, that's the most fun way to do it.
But if you insist: it starts of as generic as possible, with an all-girls school turning co-ed, and from there escalates into the titular prison setting with a couple of boys being overseen by the student council members for obviosly unavoidable shameless acts. It's a story about power struggle, friendship in dire situations and loves that bloom on the battlefield. Add in cult foundings and defilement of religious symbols, the curse of Medusa and totally valid ways to show your affection for girls, and you got yourself one hell of an educational manga.

Punpun 132

This is not a healthy relationship, what the hell

It all lies in the eyes of the beholder.

Speaking of Punpun, Volume 1 arrived here and it is as I feared. Great quality in terms of paper and cover, the german translation however, from the little I read, feels pretty stiff. Now I'm kinda conflicted, but will probably get all 13 anyhow since they look so lovely.

T-REX Na Kanojo 6

Daw~

Lain

Kingyozaka Noboru volume 1-2
Gbwb.jpg
Hbwb.jpg

Nishiki is a girl that goes around helping others and only asking for a receipt written on origami paper that confirms she did the job asked of her.
Initially it seems just like a crazy fixation that she pursues for no special reason other than her search for fragments, though as the story unfolds and develops it's revealed that Nishiki loses her own memories (her fragments, as she puts it) and so that's how she goes both to remember things as well as a way to build up fragments that she'll be able, one day, to assimilate and make part of herself.

The first 2 volumes are pretty nice. Nishiki comes off as a nice and a bit of a naive girl. Soma, the childhood friend, clearly has feelings for her and given how he's there helping her, I felt bad for him when she told him Kon might have been her first love (that she doesn't remember). Kon, Akai's older brother, is someone I can't exactly focus. He's not bad but something is off about him.
Kano, the girl that has the hots for Soma and is working in the background to ruin Nishiki, is just the kind of girl I don't like. She's kinda despicable in how she acts all nice in front of Nishiki/others while plotting in the background.
I wonder if what Akai said at the start of the volume is real or just a little girl imagination at work. Though it works into establishing the supernatural feeling of the work, along with the constant talk about the fragments and the fox guy.

Allaur

Watari-kun no ×× ga Houkai Sunzen ch7
Every chapter I keep wondering myself why he even bothers with anyone else.

Yeah, I feel the same. I'll say even more - I read this manga only cause of her. His problems with sister look nonexistent to me.

BLack Clover 13

Well this other guild has some pretty strong members. They actually have interesting personalities as well, the old man and his daughters and at least not wanting to eliminate the promising ember Luck. Though he did have the teammates are sacrifices opinion, I still think he is an interesting antagonist.

I wonder how Yuno's group will fare. One already eliminated isnt good. Though maybe its a setup for Asta to save Yuno?

Zweizer

Banned
Looks like Kiyohiko Azuma (author of Yotsuba&!, Azumanga) drew Evangelion themed mascots for Wonder Festival

http://natalie.mu/comic/gallery/show/news_id/147691/image_id/398470

Nice~

There is not so much yandere spirit in her as it looks to me) Yeah, she is a bit of a stalker, but nothing more) It's just that her desigh is so good, her face and her hair - so beautiful.

She's pretty low-key, but her mannerisms and, yeah, design, paint her as one.

Food Wars 118
CFXrO9kW8AAlmHY.png

Wow the wait was so worth it. Taku was so excited to see Soma again that he was shivering, shiveru as Futoshi would say. He even had his aura turned on. I hope this last longer theyre sitting side by side too, and his new hairstyle, strongly implies that it was definitely suggested by Soma off panel beforehand.

Best E10 handsdown, theres never a bad hairclip malechar. Im guessing hes in the top 3.
CFXsNLRW8AEAwdH.png

bobohoro

theres never a bad hairclip malechar.

Wait, what? So Raku doesn't actually wear a hairclip?

Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches 1-50

This is pretty fun. Totally thought it would be something different, more fantasy battle shounen style. The panter between characters and easygoing atmosphere make this a pretty relaxing read overall.

Kingdom 432

Juuteki Lame'O is more like it

He wants them to escape and breed the next clans generation for vengeance..... They should try and find a solution for that clan in the future

I also doubt Ryu is done he probably has like 5 billion other backup plans

Lain

jcwb.jpg

Finally the last volume to this beautiful story is in my hands. Now I can re-read the conclusion like it was the first time.

PurpleSquid

Neo Member
Take a premise for an all girl school turning co ed, and the only 5 boys attending get thrown into the student run prison and have to survive during their sentence. It has tremendous, detailed art and paneling, and the way it treats its plots and the absurdity of it all is so self serious that it circles back around to being absolutely hilarious.

It's a manga that escalates gradually in craziness, so it might not grab you right in the first few chapters. But boy is it fucking worth it once you're on board.
ooh ok so the same idea as Girl the Wild's but with a different twist. alright that sounds neat
And boobs and asses, which are the same thing.
oooh thats a big no no for me. I can tolerate some of the fan service but at a certain point i get frustrated with it cause its so annoying.
Well, that's the most fun way to do it.
But if you insist: it starts of as generic as possible, with an all-girls school turning co-ed, and from there escalates into the titular prison setting with a couple of boys being overseen by the student council members for obviosly unavoidable shameless acts. It's a story about power struggle, friendship in dire situations and loves that bloom on the battlefield. Add in cult foundings and defilement of religious symbols, the curse of Medusa and totally valid ways to show your affection for girls, and you got yourself one hell of an educational manga.

I'll give it a try, it won't kill me to read a few chapters. I'll start it this weekend.

dani_dc

oooh thats a big no no for me. I can tolerate some of the fan service but at a certain point i get frustrated with it cause its so annoying..

Don't let it get to you, the fanservice in the series isn't usually there just for the sake of fanservice like in a, lets say, Ken Akamatsu manga, there's a point to it. In Prison School the fanservice adds to the story instead of detracting like in so many other mangas.

But yes, there is a lot of asses and boobs and "fanservice" all around.

Zweizer

Banned
oooh thats a big no no for me. I can tolerate some of the fan service but at a certain point i get frustrated with it cause its so annoying.

I'll give it a try, it won't kill me to read a few chapters. I'll start it this weekend.

Prison School is no mere smut manga, as it fully incorporates such elements into its core and greatly expands them as actual relevant plot points instead of showcasing them as superficial and trite distractions, and while the first few chapters might be a tad sluggish, it doesn't take long before it hits its stride and goes on a full gear ride into delightful insanity, and ultimately, enlightenment, for yes, it may be considered as an allegory to life, and what is life without asses?

In other words, Prison School transcends smut!

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Sanjin Sadou end
One of Mizukami Satoshi early work. A tales about exorcist/hermit name Fubuki and his disciple Yoru as they tackle various problem with monster. This being Satoshi early work, everything feel rough around the edge and there's almost no emotional impact on this one when compared to his future work. There are several trait that he introduce in his other work, for example power hungry protagonist with fang teeth and his comedy punchline that usually come from the character being genre savvy or breaking the fourth wall. There's only two volume of it, so it is a short read. Oh, he draw adorable penguin like monster who like to drink sake. It's cute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom