• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTY| Creatively Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Prison School 178

200.gif

This was transcendent

How was that short little Jump series about the green haired police woman? Kiruko-san I think? Did that ever start up again? Never read it.

Serviceable.

It got cancelled and got a sequel series in one of Jump's spinoffs.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Mei Company 03

Cats vs fishman.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Jitsu wa Watashi

Man... I really, really hope that the Class Rep will be the one, though I know the chance for it happening is less than zero. I am just a sucker for underdogs................

The only underdog pairings that I can think of that managed to make its way to victory in terms of romance is Ichigo 100%... honestly can't think of something else. Maybe Adachi's Beautiful Sunshine but that's not a main pairing... hmm.

Zephyx

Wait, really? What's happened so far?

I hate this story because it's the first triangle I've read where I want to root for both girls. Although honestly, the OTP is
Hachiman x Totsuka

I felt the same way but there are winners and losers in every battle. With the way things went in
Volume 10
of the LN, you know it's not going to end well for her. Still, excited for Volume 11.

UQ Holder

Well, RIP Kirie. Pretty sure Eva's gonna be waifu at this point.

Probably going to start walking around in her kid form again too if I had to guess.

Zweizer

Banned
Shin Kurosawa ch29

He's the messiah!

So much for a heartfelt family reunion.

Yugami-kun ni wa Tomodachi ga Inai ch10.5

That kind of counts as helping, right?

dani_dc

Fuuka 64

"Oh Fuuka reminds me of Fuuka"

How long will it take to get to the this to it's obvious conclusion?

Boku Wa Mari no Naka 51

I'm guessing Mari suffered some time of abuse as a child.
Interesting she actually started having a flashback, basically confirming that Mari really is Mari.

Hey guys,

I am just starting to get into manga and would like some reading recommendations. So far I have read the first volumes of Berserk and Battle Angel Alita and at the library I picked up magi volume 1 and attack on Titan volume 1. What books would you recommend for a newcomer? My interests are in cyberpunk stories and Ninja stories (like Ninja Gaiden, 47 Ronin, etc.). However I'm open to just about anything.

Revo

Katsu! 1-157 (end)

Well, I kinda started somewhere at night and powered through the entirety of Katsu! and then realized it was sometime in the morning.

I'm honestly not sure how I feel about Katsu! On one hand, I really did like the Katsuki duo. And I enjoyed how much the fathers and their backstory really meant to the plot (A really nice difference to the Adachi series). On the other hand, I never really got into the boxing (even if it was simply a good motorvehicle to tell this story). I don't think that I dislike reading about boxing, after all I loved the early Hajime no Ippo. I also liked how determined Misaki was (even if it was 1 trillion percent stalker) even though it obv would never fall to him (as is expected in what I've read of Adachi). It might be that this seemed a more seriousy work? (at least compared to Cross Game, etc) and while it still had good comedy, it was much more focused on the serious father stuff. And coming into Katsu! I definitely wasn't expecting any of the father stuff (past his father being an amazing boxer).

Moreso than others and their sorta abruptish ends (more like, we don't need to see the rest since the point of the series has already been reached), Katsu felt somewhat more abrupt especially due to how it ended but that's whatever really. Also kinda felt that Katsu's side characters never really did anything for me and it really was the Katsukis+father stuff story. Which is fine really, just not what I expected.

To be honest it mostly seems like I came in too biased as to what I expect from Adachi series due to what I've read being quite similar to each other. If I've gained anything from Katsu, it's definitely a more open mind on what Adachi can bring to the table (and my love for his work only grows). Maybe sometime I'll reread Katsu after doing some other Adachi works and see how I feel about it once again.

While I definitely enjoyed Katsu I never really got as hooked as I got for the other Adachi I've read (which may be a mix of expectations+the comedy aspect). While still a great read the bar really is set high when it has to be compared to Cross Game/Touch/H2 so sadly it does come up in last (with mix not counting due to how short, otherwise 4th/5th place). And I think I still enjoyed H2 more than Touch (even with how annoying I found H2's romance to be).

yotsuba 87.2

fuckin yanda i knew it

ok, i know some of you might call me crazy but...

I have this small, distinct feeling that yotsuba's grandmother is not fully fond of or somewhat taken back by yotsuba's presence.

like if, in the back of my mind, she feels that yotsuba might have hindered her son's future or livelihood.

she's made so many off-the cuff comments regarding her son's house being dirty or more dirty than usual.

Zweizer

Banned
Hey guys,

I am just starting to get into manga and would like some reading recommendations. So far I have read the first volumes of Berserk and Battle Angel Alita and at the library I picked up magi volume 1 and attack on Titan volume 1. What books would you recommend for a newcomer? My interests are in cyberpunk stories and Ninja stories (like Ninja Gaiden, 47 Ronin, etc.). However I'm open to just about anything.

Welcome!

For cyberpunk series, Akira and Blame! are classics that are well worth checking.

If you'd like to read something more... interesting, Prison School is not to be missed, as it is indubitably the savior of the medium.

Otherwise, you could join the trend set by this thread and read Goodnight Punpun, a manga that defies the norms of the medium, though you could always read Solanin first if you'd like something shorter and more down-to-earth.

Want some more light-hearted works? Yotsuba&! and Nukoduke! eagerly awaits you.

Finally, to have a sample of the series.folks here regularly read, don't forget to check the banners in the OP.

Either way, have fun and enjoy your stay~

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Hey guys,

Welcome
Based on what you read, i recommend Vinland Saga, a story about viking. For ninja story, Basilisk is awesome. For cyberpunk, Ghost in the shell. I also recommend Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer.

How was that short little Jump series about the green haired police woman? Kiruko-san I think? Did that ever start up again? Never read it.

Was pretty dull, all the cast was the typical actors in a "law enforcement agency barely hanging on" type of way. Best character was the kid twin boy.

Soma 120

kuga gonna get rekt and it's gonna be great

Please no, that would be bad writing at its finest. And Food War's typically avoids bad writing. I think there was only one moment in which it truly had a badly written moment.

Hey guys,

Naruto
Seraph of the End
BLue Exorcist
Tegami Bachi: Letter Bee

Spiral the Bonds of Reasoning

Usobuko

Banned
Hey guys,

Start with Blame! ( Nihei ) and then Lone Wolf and Cub.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Hey guys,

Go read All You Need is Kill and maybe Terraformars.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
UQ Holder

It seems like the two abilties that Touta has are Asuna's Magic Cancel (white) and Negi's Magia Erebia (black). I wonder how those two power got into one kid's body.

..............:trollface:

Kieli

UQ Holder

It seems like the two abilties that Touta has are Asuna's Magic Cancel (white) and Negi's Magia Erebia (black). I wonder how those two power got into one kid's body.

Asuna doesn't like Negi, and Negi is asexual.

I really do wonder. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Arabesque

UQ Holder

Well, he got Magia Erebia from being Negi's Grandson/clone

And he got Magic Cancel because by extension he is the Great-Grandson of Akira, who also used some variation of it (and having blood ties to the Mage of the Beginning)

I mean, yeah, I get the obvious implication in how Asuna is supposed to fit into all of this, but given that she is 1)not around
for at least another 50 years
and 2) her romantic pairing with Negi was sunk in Negima (twice), I don't see how that would work here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom