• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTY| Creatively Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

dani_dc

One Piece

Rebecca is without a doubt one of the worst female characters ever depicted recently. Shameful fan-service galore and all she can do is just WAHHHH WAHHH WAHHHHH HELP ME SOME GUY!

Pathetic.

Women portraits is definitively the worst part of One Piece, and somehow it seems to be getting worst as the series goes along.

One Piece
Please Oda end this damn arc, it just fucking hurts at this point.

Bleach
Oh look nothing happened, but with Bleach I just expect this so I'm not to mad.

Naurto
Sakura did something....well then.

Zweizer

Banned
Women portraits is definitively the worst part of One Piece, and somehow it seems to be getting worst as the series goes along.

Yeah, this arc in particular has been pretty pathetic (even more than usual at any rate) in how female characters were depicted.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
It's weird. Usually the portrayal of females gets better as the series goes on, not remarkably worse. Fatherhood seems to be bringing out some damning stereotypes in the author.

ryan13ts

One Piece
And to think I actually had hopes for Rebecca actually being a decent female fighter. Her introduction of using Haki to fight in a somewhat unique way had potential, but she's basically just turned into another useless "Oh, I need a strong man to save me" female caricature. I hate how women are generally portrayed in One Piece... Even Nami and Robin are pretty much relegated to "fodder cleanup", while the men get the real fights. It's easily the most frustrating thing about OP, which is so sad since it is my favorite manga series.

And am I the only one that wonders why Doflamingo never used his Parasite ability on Luffy or Law not once during their fight? I was interested in seeing how Luffy would overcome such an ability, but it looks like Oda himself realized how overpowered it is and relegated it's use to situations like Rebecca/Viola. Also, big shocker about no chapter next week, although I had hoped that Oda would have pushed through until the conclusion before taking another break.

Anteater

One Piece

Rebecca's character wasn't supposed to to fight, I get it, but Oda keep tossing her into the ring is pretty silly now.

Good to see Doffy didn't get one shotted in this chapter, now we wait 2 weeks...

Zweizer

Banned
It's weird. Usually the portrayal of females gets better as the series goes on, not remarkably worse. Fatherhood seems to be bringing out some damning stereotypes in the author.

You'd think that having daughters would help him portraying female characters better, but apparently not.

random25

Naruto 700+6

This is lame. For super ninjas to be in a pinch like that...

One Piece 789

And no OP next week. That's also lame. Way to end this week in a cliffhanger.

Toriko

Set up chapter but two things stood out for me

Starjun and Toriko combo and that "God" isn't in Area 1

Naruto

lol till this day Sakura still gives Naruto a second thought

OP

Glad he recovered in this chapter instead of prolonging it anymore.... Still sucks that there will be no chapter next week

Bleach

Stuff and stuff and regrouping

Usobuko

Banned
One Piece

Rebecca's character wasn't supposed to to fight, I get it, but Oda keep tossing her into the ring is pretty silly now.

Good to see Doffy didn't get one shotted in this chapter, now we wait 2 weeks...

First Aiko, now Zard.

Good taste, my friend.

dani_dc

One Piece 789

The Rebecca scene wouldn't had been bad if she had been treated as a strong character up to this point with her own fight to win, as it is, it felt like dragging an already weak character through the mud.

Zoro should had really went after Doflamingo instead of wasting time on the cage, at the very least he could probably hold his own until Lufy had recovered perhaps even defeat him, shame that One Piece tends to fall under the same structure so often.

Zweizer

Banned
One Piece 789

Zoro should had really went after Doflamingo instead of wasting time on the cage, at the very least he could probably hold his own until Lufy had recovered perhaps even defeat him, shame that One Piece tends to fall under the same structure so often.

Can't have Zoro suddenly defeat such a major villain ( =‿=)

ryan13ts

Can't have Zoro suddenly defeat such a major villain ( =‿=)

Well he kinda did in the Fishman Island arc. He totally pwned Hody in his initial form, underwater where a fishman is suppose to be invincible no less... although Hody is the true definatiion of a "scrub" in the OP world.

Arabesque

One Piece 789

The Rebecca scene wouldn't had been bad if she had been treated as a strong character up to this point with her own fight to win

The Rebecca scene wouldn't had been bad had it not been the 5th time this arc this had happened to her and she needed to be protected while crying for help.

Worse, the last 2 times are exactly like this time, where Kyros/Robin swooped in on the last second to defend Rebecca and stop her from fighting.

Like, I don't even know what to say at this point. Had it not be presented like it was meant to be a tense moment, I'd think it was more of a recurring gag.

h3cgK28.jpg

1. Soma
2. Erina
3. Takumi
4. Tadokoro
5. Hisako
6. Alice
7. Shinomiya
8. Hayama
9. Nikumi
10. Isshiki

Somewhat boring results, but expected in the end. I suppose it makes sense most would cheer for Soma to be the 1st seat, but I sort of wanted to see someone else take the top for once.

The 1 vote difference between Alice and Hisako is pretty insane though.

this is the top-10 seat placement for when soma graduates confirmed

That what they are, yes.

That poll. You're slipping Tadokoro. I'm really surprised that Takumi has such a following though.

Even if we ignore that you could vote 30 times for the same character, this is still much higher than her previous result.

Kyuur

One Piece

While Rebecca ended up being a horrible character, Viola has been pretty awesome, down to her (almost) last moments. Pacing has been a bit rough with the cage pushing, wish Oda would have focused on Sabo's fight instead. Oh well, the climax is here.

Bleach

Like One Piece, the pacing has been bad the past couple chapters. Hopefully things will get interesting in the next few. Unlike usual Bleach, this arc isn't really set up for 1v1s so it might open up some interesting fights.

Naruto

Still pretty fun. Not sure why Naruto couldn't cloak the kids since he protected an entire army from harm earlier. At least Sakura got a chance to shine (and subsequently fuck up).

Arabesque

The other thing about Rebecca is that her sword can't actually hurt or kill people right? I seem to remember that being a point ...

But Shinomiya already graduated at 1st seat.

Yes, which is why the poll was ridiculous from the start (along with how you could vote for Dojima out of all people)

I'm sure popularity does have to do with how the top 10 ended up looking like this, but the purpose of the poll was ultimately to figure out who people wanted to se become the first seat.

Tadokoro was 3rd in the last poll.

With 753 votes in that one. Sure, a lot of the votes here are inflated because people were able to vote multiple times freely, but there is an increase.

Here position in an actual popularity poll might be different though.

Naruto 700+6

NO NONSENSE EVIL GUYS IN THEIR SECRET HIDEOUT

Bleach 629

Literally nothing

One Piece 789

Today's tournament? Oh yeah all this has been one day. lol One Piece time

Oh and there's a break next week. Amazing. Oh and yes, Rebecca is terrible.

LeleSocho

Banned
Naruto 706
The bad mastermind is already in death's arms and she has regenerative power... i'd say she should wreck everything and end this as soon as possible.

One Piece 789
These two chapters of waiting have been more entertaining than most of the arc to be honest, very hype inducing.

Toriko 326

Oooooooh pairings! I like that. CocoXTyran best combo.

Shokugeki no Soma poll results

h3cgK28.jpg

1. Soma
2. Erina
3. Takumi
4. Tadokoro
5. Hisako
6. Alice
7. Shinomiya
8. Hayama
9. Nikumi
10. Isshiki

-----

Kind of expected to be honest

Shokugeki no Soma poll results

h3cgK28.jpg

1. Soma
2. Erina
3. Takumi
4. Tadokoro
5. Hisako
6. Alice
7. Shinomiya
8. Hayama
9. Nikumi
10. Isshiki

-----

Congrats to Soma for making that comeback and retaining the #1 spot.

And congrats to Erina for still being the most popular girl in the series.

I'm glad that my vote made that one point difference for Hisako.😏

I'm really happy that best girl got in the top 5.

Naruto

Guess Naruto forgot he can give people 9 tails power to protect them so that they don't have to stand right by him.

Guess Naruto forgot he can make shadow clones to do ... w/e the fuck he needs them to do. Guess he prefers to stand in the same place like he's just daring them to attack him.

Wonder if Sas is regretting passing on that replacement arm yet ...

And Sakura sneak-power-punched the guy right onto death's door step but she is now being punked into doing medical shit for him because of a group of kids?

Ok.

mdubs

Banned
Poor Hachiken reeling from the Nationals. Anyone else get the feeling this is going to get wrapped up in the next volume or two considering how fast time is progressing as well as hiatuses Arakawa has had to take?

Also Viz has an announcement coming tomorrow for a big shonen series, wonder what it will be.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
You'd think that having daughters would help him portraying female characters better, but apparently not.
I'm going to assume Oda is a very overprotective parent.

Even worse, while Oda has always resorted to these damsel in distress moments, he used to at least let the women got bloodied up a bit. Nowadays Robin getting her back cut up is seen as a shocking development.

The second longest arc is Skypiea at 65 chapters long. Seriously got to wonder what is going on with Oda to drag this arc out so long.
Oda just started too many plotlines this arc and can't help himself from embellishing on each and every one. Between setting up the gladiators for the Kaido arc, all the Kyros and Dressrosa drama, and Law's story, there's enough back story to fill 3 separate arcs.

upandaway

One Piece

Chapter was great, especially the final swap (love it when Law and Luffy work together) but yeah Rebecca is an example of what I like the least about OP.

I mean Oda obviously has it in him to do it the right way. Literally all he needs to do is write a story the same way as he always does, and then just genderswap a few characters (which he is amazing at too). That's all it would take.

To be honest reading about "no chapter next week" was okay for the past few months. I got used to it. But this time hurt, that's pretty much the highest level cliffhanger for the arc (hyped up for 2/3 of the chapter) and it's a week off.

One Piece

And am I the only one that wonders why Doflamingo never used his Parasite ability on Luffy or Law not once during their fight? I was interested in seeing how Luffy would overcome such an ability, but it looks like Oda himself realized how overpowered it is and relegated it's use to situations like Rebecca/Viola. Also, big shocker about no chapter next week, although I had hoped that Oda would have pushed through until the conclusion before taking another break.
I think it's safe to say Doffy just can't use it on really strong people. Putting the strings on someone is an attack in and of itself, just like any other attack, and with such a strong attack it makes sense that good fighters will be able to dodge or fight it off.

FSN Heaven's Feel manga v1 cover
Looks amazing, really want to see how that turns out

Zweizer

Banned
The other thing about Rebecca is that her sword can't actually hurt or kill people right? I seem to remember that being a point ...

That's Riku's schtick. Rebecca's was that she always won by throwing her opponents outside the ring.

FSN Heaven's Feel manga v1 cover

Looks nice. Might check it sometime in the future.

I'm going to assume Oda is a very overprotective parent.

Even worse, while Oda has always resorted to these damsel in distress moments, he used to at least let the women got bloodied up a bit. Nowadays Robin getting her back cut up is seen as a shocking development.

Compensation for being almost always away from his family due to his work schedule, maybe?

Arabesque

That's Riku's schtick. Rebecca's was that she always won by throwing her opponents outside the ring.

Didn't Diamante make some sort of note about that when they fought in the finals? I seem to remember her saying she didn't want to actually kill anyone.

dr labson

Neo Member
So I decided to start reading Keijo cuz you guys are always saying how it's hype and ridiculous.
Stay tuned for my impressions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom