• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivor

Banned
Banana Fish vol 1
nrKXtBn.jpg

Good gang drama shit. It has an Urasawa-esque mystery setup and a wide array of interesting characters. Very well paced first volume, taking its time to show the relevant players and drop little tidbits of the main hook: the mysterious Banana Fish drug that the top mafia are after.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
How disappointing. Well, wait a sec... what else this thread... oh. Oh! Ohhh!!

There's another manga, this one is actually cosmicblizzard's favorite manga ever. It's called Itokoi Chidori.

If we're recommending smut then he should read a real man's smut first, like nana to kaoru.

Shinya Shokudou 01-18

kDYvKgil.png

A very interesting read. Short stories about different customers and what food they order but it is very engaging with each one. I definitely like how each story finishes and it usually leaves me with a smile on my face. It's very charming in its own way that makes you want to just read more chapters.

bigkrev

How do you dislike it when it gets to the good part :(

I just feel it hasn't earned that yet. If you want to be generic, dime a dozen smut, then go right ahead, but I feel this is better than that. Might just be whistfull thinking though.

With Sket Dance ending, I can finally pick it up again. I was 20 chapters in and loving it, but had a lot on my plate at the time.

Lain

Is The Breaker any good? I see some people talking about New Waves, so I guess I would start with the original and then move over to New Waves when I'm done. Should I read it at all, and if so, start with the breaker first?

Also, I really love King of Hell. I don't know why, but I do. I think its the comedy, but...maybe its just the dog.

Some parts of The Breaker are good (certain fights, some of the characters), some other aren't (Shioon, the main character, starts off as an insufferable main character and he slowly grows up), but I found it to be an entertaining and enjoyable read thanks to the other characters beside the MC (the 2 teachers mainly).
New Waves makes Shioon become really good and I feel that it's an aspect that can be better appreciated by reading the first part.

thetechkid

So there was this series I heard about a while ago but I don't remember too much about it besides it having something to do with overthrowing a government or something and it wasn't too far in, anyone have any guess?

Banana Fish vol 1
http://i.imgur.com/nrKXtBn.jpg[/mg]

Good gang drama shit. It has an Urasawa-esque mystery setup and a wide array of interesting characters. Very well paced first volume, taking its time to show the relevant players and drop little tidbits of the main hook: the mysterious Banana Fish drug that the top mafia are after.[/QUOTE]

Ah, the golden age of manga. I'll always associate that and Dance Till Tomorrow as the main PULP comics. Great magazine.

Kurita

Banana Fish vol 1
Good gang drama shit. It has an Urasawa-esque mystery setup and a wide array of interesting characters. Very well paced first volume, taking its time to show the relevant players and drop little tidbits of the main hook: the mysterious Banana Fish drug that the top mafia are after.
I should read this since it's by the author of Umimachi Diary.
Shinya Shokudou 01-18
A very interesting read. Short stories about different customers and what food they order but it is very engaging with each one. I definitely like how each story finishes and it usually leaves me with a smile on my face. It's very charming in its own way that makes you want to just read more chapters.
Nakama

DarkMehm

There is this mangaka who has two running series since the 70s. Dokaben and Abu-san. The former is weekly, the latter is bi-weekly. He is 74 years old. How does he do it? There are a lot of mangaka in their 30s and 40s who have trouble with one weekly manga. Mad respect for him and Dokaben could be really interesting, too bad nobody would want to scanlate or license such a long series.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
There is this mangaka who has two running series since the 70s. Dokaben and Abu-san. The former is weekly, the latter is bi-weekly. He is 74 years old. How does he do it? There are a lot of mangaka in their 30s and 40s who have trouble with one weekly manga. Mad respect for him and Dokaben could be really interesting, too bad nobody would want to scanlate or license such a long series.

It depends on how much work he has to do on the titles. Does he draw both? He could easily keep it up if all he had to do was write them, most writers (novelists) don't actually retire they just sort of die before they put out their next book after all.

Kurita

Beelzebub vol.14

Oh man, more Ishiyama vs En'o! This arc is going to be good.
I love that the Ishiyama students (minus Oga) are now one big gang lead by Furuichi :lol

DarkMehm

It depends on how much work he has to do on the titles. Does he draw both? He could easily keep it up if all he had to do was write them, most writers (novelists) don't actually retire they just sort of die before they put out their next book after all.

He is the sole author of both series, though maybe he has a lot of assistants who do the majority of work nowadays.

DarkMehm

KNIM 231

What's the longest manga ever in this genre? Could this have a shot at the record? I don't know why else this is still running.

Kusagari

KNIM 231

What's the longest manga ever in this genre? Could this have a shot at the record? I don't know why else this is still running.

The theory most of us have is it's simply running on fumes now as hype for the upcoming anime.

But who really knows.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
KNIM number irrelevant

The Citizen Kane of visual media

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Remember the Titans

Just read this over the weekend. I gotta say the last two chapters...

What?

This wierdness happened because Erm was a titan who only became a titan after the titans attacked and his dad dosed him with titanjuice which in turn cause the monkeyman to scamper about?

So why were they attacking the city again? Their stated reason wasn't even an issue at the time.

Can't wait until Mikasa reveals she's really an android.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Remember the Titans

Just read this over the weekend. I gotta say the last two chapters...

What?

This wierdness happened because Erm was a titan who only became a titan after the titans attacked and his dad dosed him with titanjuice which in turn cause the monkeyman to scamper about?

So why were they attacking the city again? Their stated reason wasn't even an issue at the time.

Can't wait until Mikasa reveals she's really an android.

is monkeytitan Eren's dad

Antiwhippy

Yumekui merry 52-58

Maybe it's because it's been awhile since I've caught up but...

Wut.

It's like make-shit-up-as-we-go the manga.

edit: 59

It's nice seeing pharos getting a beat down though.

Antiwhippy

Kurogane end

... what the flying fuck was that?

Did it get cancelled or something?

Terrible ending. Not that it was that good of a series to begin with.

Antiwhippy

It would explain the abrupt ending.

Huh, actually didn't know it was a jump manga. Mostly because it seemed subpar even by jump standards.

dramatis

Wait a few weeks you guys geez 3 new manga were serialized a month ago.

If you're looking for a shounen savior it won't be found in Jump anyway.

Actually, who's still looking to participate in that worldwide Jump manga contest? WHO'S READY TO SAVE SHOUNEN?

Antiwhippy

Is that thing still going?

After next week I can totally work on my shounen masterpiece that is sure to impress our nippon overlords.

survivor

Banned
Wait a few weeks you guys geez 3 new manga were serialized a month ago.

If you're looking for a shounen savior it won't be found in Jump anyway.

Actually, who's still looking to participate in that worldwide Jump manga contest? WHO'S READY TO SAVE SHOUNEN?

I have a feeling 90% of the submissions gonna be similar to the shit that gets published by Manga Magazine especially something as dreadful as Okamirai.

Stinky

OEL are for the most part really bad. Art always feels really "off".. the plot is usually even worse.

Maybe this Jump contest will prove me wrong!?

Gradivus

OEL are for the most part really bad. Art always feels really "off".. the plot is usually even worse.

Maybe this Jump contest will prove me wrong!?

Art can usually be passable if the story is decent enough, but as case of the one mentioned up above, OEL manga has a long way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom