• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soul Eater

This is the first chapter i don´t like in a long long time. I have to re-raed it to make sure.

Toriko

Yawn. Give me old lady Setsuna, now.

Got to hand it to Kubo, I'm sooo fucking glad that he avoids the Shounen trop of having the MC be a complete and total moron.

Holy fuck, reading Ichigo's dialogue....

Motherfucker has 10x the maturity of 90% of Shounen MCs

Yep. Kubo is awesome like that.

Ezalc

Most Shounen protagonists are dumb anyways, so it's a moot point trying to decide who amongst them are the smartest. It's like trying to determine the one-eyed man in the land of the blind :p

Urameshi wasn't that bad.

Also, Ichigo went to the kitchen and got a new knife yaay. I wonder how they look in bankai form. I hope they look better than that shit because it looks awful.

wonzo

Banned
Kingdom 31-41
kingdom36.png

The sheer brutality and attention to detail in the art for this is so intense that you can practically smell all the iron and dirt in the air. Goddamn.

Oh man the eyes

Big eyes filled with such HEART AND HOT BLOODED AMBITION!!!!!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The stuff people read here are usually pretty recent.

But yeah, love city hunter too. Been awhile since I've read it though.

Kingdom 31-41

The sheer brutality and attention to detail in the art for this is so intense that you can practically smell all the iron and dirt in the air. Goddamn.

Big eyes filled with such HEART AND HOT BLOODED AMBITION!!!!!

Hm. This is way different than the cg show. Might pick it up.

Theonik

Okusan 01-08
The wife kind of reminds me of Orihime from Bleach which at first was distressing.
Getting past that, OMG housewife moe.
Everybody read this!

Binbougami Ga! 67

Hell yeah! The party will start.

Jojolion 22

Poor Johnny. So many mysteries.

Soul Eater 111

Nice dress Maka.

Beelzebub 209

Poor Furuichi, a joke even "dead" lol.

DarkMehm

Beelzebub 209

Suffers from too-longitis too. Mangas are either too long or too short because of cancellation. I've not read a manga where one could've said "that was the perfect length". Beelzebub should have ended like 50 chapters ago.

Akito

Beelzebub 209

Suffers from too-longitis too. Mangas are either too long or too short because of cancellation. I've not read a manga where one could've said "that was the perfect length". Beelzebub should have ended like 50 chapters ago.
Not even one of your favorite manga?

survivor

Banned
Beelzebub 209

What about manga that are short because the story ended? There is plenty of those and they have good length.

Okusan 01-08
The wife kind of reminds me of Orihime from Bleach which at first was distressing.
Getting past that, OMG housewife moe.
Everybody read this!
I have been "reading" the raws for some time cause fuck the slow translations. The story gets very interesting especially with all the other new characters added.

DarkMehm

Not even one of your favorite manga?

My favourite manga Dragon Ball is also a bit too long. It should have ended at least one arc earlier.

I like long mangas, but they should have a purpose for being so long. OP for example has 711 chapters and doesn't feel too long at all. Then there are mangas like TWGOK or Beelzebub which should have ended in their 150s.

Soul Eater 111

Random seeing Gopher and all the other characters, but I guess one has to give them all screen time in this next to the last chapter (penultimate?). Anyway, Maka's upgrade is atrocious, kind of expecting something bigger and much better. Black Star's arm :(

Akito

My favourite manga Dragon Ball is also a bit too long. It should have ended at least one arc earlier.

I like long mangas, but they should have a purpose for being so long. OP for example has 711 chapters and doesn't feel too long at all. Then there are mangas like TWGOK or Beelzebub which should have ended in their 150s.
I agree about DB's length but I find it pretty peculiar that not even one of the manga you like has the perfect length for you. As survivor said, what about shorter manga which have a clear direction and they end because they were planned to do so as opposed to being axed?

If I could cut out content in mangas then I would have cut out most of Naruto after the Pain fight. I would completely compress a ton of One Piece, especially Skypia. I would also shorten Hueco Mundo arc in Bleach.

DarkMehm

I agree about DB's length but I find it pretty peculiar that not even one of the manga you like has the perfect length for you. As survivor said, what about shorter manga which have a clear direction and they end because they were planned to do so as opposed to being axed?

I'm concentrating on the long mangas currently and want to start reading the more compressed mangas in the near future. I can't really comment on them. I read Octave and Sasameki Koto though and they had an ok length.

Toriko

I remember when I was a kid I'd pick up a random manga book at the store and would see all kinds of crazy hard to follow violence and feel like every manga book must be like that. This is one of those chapters, holy crap

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Soul Eater 111

Random seeing Gopher and all the other characters, but I guess one has to give them all screen time in this next to the last chapter (penultimate?). Anyway, Maka's upgrade is atrocious, kind of expecting something bigger and much better. Black Star's arm :(

Man I just looked it up, it really is ending that soon. That's fuckin nuts to me, is it ending early due to lack of popularity or something? It seems like there's so much they just never got to, more about the Star clan, the remainder of Medusa's plot, anything at all pertaining to Maka's mother, etc.

survivor

Banned
Man I just looked it up, it really is ending that soon. That's fuckin nuts to me, is it ending early due to lack of popularity or something? It seems like there's so much they just never got to, the remainder of Medusa's plot, anything at all pertaining to Maka's mother, etc.

It's one of the best, if not the best selling ongoing manga at the magazine it's serialized at, Monthly Shonen Gangan so it's not a popularity issue.

Antiwhippy

Huh, seems like tonight is "horror mystery mangas with fantastic art" night. Also "mangas that have been adapted from another source" night apparently.

Moryou no Hako 1

So far seems to deal with the mystery of a girl's attempted suicide and the mysterious circumstances surrounding it. There appears to be a dismembered doll that resembles her that appears in some sort of flashback scene.

Another part of the story also deals with a dismemberment murder case.

Hmmm.

Liking it so far. Great art. Seems like it was originally a novel.

So I had this idea of instead trying to marathon one series at a time to take 5-6 different series and read 2-3 chapters a day of each and compare the different series as I read them all from the beginning. Not only would it allow me to knock out several back log series but it would also help me push though series at a quicker pace then I'm currently at (sorry Eyeshield 21 it's not you it's me).

Was thinking of doing

Eyeshield 21 (from where I'm currently at cause I'm already reading it...)
Shaman King
Completely random series
Shonen fight series you guys recommend
Another series you guys recommend any genre

Thoughts on doing something like this? I don't want to stop reading ES21 but I don't want to feel like I need to read some 300 pages of that before I can read another fight series lol

Kurita

So I had this idea of instead trying to marathon one series at a time to take 5-6 different series and read 2-3 chapters a day of each and compare the different series as I read them all from the beginning. Not only would it allow me to knock out several back log series but it would also help me push though series at a quicker pace then I'm currently at (sorry Eyeshield 21 it's not you it's me).

Was thinking of doing

Shaman King
Completely random series

Thoughts on doing something like this? I don't want to stop reading ES21 but I don't want to feel like I need to read some 300 pages of that before I can read another fight series lol

That's what I do most of the time. I'm planning to do this with AKB49, Crows, Kingdom and Arakawa Under the Bridge pretty soon.

And now for the recs :
I Am a Hero
Nodame Cantabile
Kokou no Hito
Princess Jellyfish

Antiwhippy

Was thinking of doing

Shaman King
Completely random series

How about:

Glass mask (shoujo to wash all that shounen away.) :p
Soredemo machi wa mawatteiru for laughs.
I'll also recommend yokohama kadiashi kikou if you just want to read something relaxing.

Man I just looked it up, it really is ending that soon. That's fuckin nuts to me, is it ending early due to lack of popularity or something? It seems like there's so much they just never got to, more about the Star clan, the remainder of Medusa's plot, anything at all pertaining to Maka's mother, etc.
No Soul Eater is popular. But monthly manga like FMA DN are about 108 chapters, so its not wierd that SE ends close to that number. Medusa is dead, Noah has been consumed and becomes useless now. DTK became a shinigami and replaced his father, Crona is about to be saved, Maka controls the black blood etc. all the plot points are coming together and it's the final fight. All i want is a new SE anime by bones. Now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom