• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aizo

Banned
Naruto
All the development Kishi ever did is being thrown out the window.

Bleach
This chapter was all right, but... that page with just words... why?

Foolworm

Seems I made the right choice of not reading it anymore, oh well :(

If the change is good then hey but this change was more in the direction of bad.

It's not bad, just different. That being said, I do miss the spreads Riichii used to do where he would cram in as much detail as possible while keeping the scene comprehensible (like the dream world for instance) - those were awesome.

Cub no Isaki

Ashinano loves the 'what if everything else was huge' schtick. When I read the blurb, the first thing I thought of was the Chestnut from Yokohama.

Soul Eater

Rawr Rawr Fight Da Powah

Oricon Comic Rankings June 10th ~ June 16th
http://www.manga-news.com/index.php/actus/2013/06/20/Top-50-Oricon-du-10-au-16-juin

01. One Piece #70 (397 934 / 2 418 424)
03. Bleach #59 (88 261 / 493 743)
19. Shokugeki no Sôma #02 (41,840 / 176,682)

22. Sket Dance #31 (38,654 / 165,755)
27. Nisekoi #07 (30,824 / 164,557)
33. Medaka Box #21 (22,838 / 113,652)
44. One Piece #69 (16,184 /3,014,074)

Another 550K for Attack on Titan. I think its definitely number two best selling series this year. Congrats, Kodansha.

And One Piece finally crossed 3mln this volume, felt like it took forever. Everything is alright I guess, a bit surprised that the new stuff was all a bit more popular than medaka box.Forgot what its total lifetime sales are? 15mln over 20 volumes?

Got to hand it to Kubo, I'm sooo fucking glad that he avoids the Shounen trop of having the MC be a complete and total moron.

Holy fuck, reading Ichigo's dialogue....

Motherfucker has 10x the maturity of 90% of Shounen MCs

Lirlond

Everyone's going to ignore this post anyway but

Spirit Circle 13

For how so many people seem to have loved Biscuit Hammer, doesn't seem like anyone else here is reading this one. Yes it's monthly so it's a bit slow, but it's still really good.

Im reading this and sengoku youko. Both are amazing.

Akito

iN6ADfUqierwK.jpg
D'awwww, so adorable... then I remember their family situation :(

Lain

Utsubora - The Story of a Novelist
o3q.jpg

Got this today and gave it a read.
First thing first, it was a great story with a cast of flawed but interesting adults. Second, I'm not sure I understand every facet of the story, but I'm going to have to put that on me not spending enough time savoring every little details and the obsessive nature of Aki/Sakura toward Shun Mizorogi.
Obsession seems to be the whole motif of the story, in a way, which brings some characters to commit rather despicable acts and on varying levels, keeping the drama and suspense always going.
I'm not exactly fond of the ending, even if it is spot on with the characters drawn and the story direction. It's a fitting ending, but not the ending I would have want to read.

Anyways, I really enjoyed this book, so any other works of Asumiko Nakamura that gets brought out in English (or, one day, in Italian), I'll be sure to grab it and if one of you hasn't read it and is looking for something a bit more mature than usual, I'd really suggest to give it a look.

survivor

Banned
Utsubora - The Story of a Novelist
http://i.picpar.com/o3q.jpg[img]

Got this today and gave it a read.
First thing first, it was a great story with a cast of flawed but interesting adults. Second, I'm not sure I understand every facet of the story, but I'm going to have to put that on me not spending enough time savoring every little details and the obsessive nature of Aki/Sakura toward Shun Mizorogi.
Obsession seems to be the whole motif of the story, in a way, which brings some characters to commit rather despicable acts and on varying levels, keeping the drama and suspense always going.
I'm not exactly fond of the ending, even if it is spot on with the characters drawn and the story direction. It's a fitting ending, but not the ending I would have want to read.

Anyways, I really enjoyed this book, so any other works of Asumiko Nakamura that gets brought out in English (or, one day, in Italian), I'll be sure to grab it and if one of you hasn't read it and is looking for something a bit more mature than usual, I'd really suggest to give it a look.[/QUOTE]
Sadly don't expect any manga from Asumiko Nakamura in English anymore cause Vertical aren't happy at all with the preorder numbers.

survivor

Banned
Again!! 45

Please let Reo x Imamura be a thing.

edit: Some thread on /a/ was talking about future untranslated events so big spoilers.
Apparently after this match, all the current girls become side characters and there is some new girl introduced Hanataka that acts as the main girl. That sounds really bad.

Got to hand it to Kubo, I'm sooo fucking glad that he avoids the Shounen trop of having the MC be a complete and total moron.

Holy fuck, reading Ichigo's dialogue....

Motherfucker has 10x the maturity of 90% of Shounen MCs

*Rolls eyes*
This is the same guy who was sad that his enemy was dying and he wasn't in control over how he killed him. The same one who habitually makes stupid decisions

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Most Shounen protagonists are dumb anyways, so it's a moot point trying to decide who amongst them are the smartest. It's like trying to determine the one-eyed man in the land of the blind :p

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Most Shounen protagonists are dumb anyways, so it's a moot point trying to decide who amongst them are the smartest. It's like trying to determine the one-eyed man in the land of the blind :p

Hint: They're all blind.

Except Ryo Saeba, he maintains his god-tier status. Dude is like Golgo except he can't get laid to save his life.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I know that [hence why I didn't quote the part about overall stupid decision making]. I was wondering what the specific example he was talking about in the part I did quote.

He was talking about when he damn near cried when Ulla-Icantspellhisname died. You know when we got "The Heart".

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
He was talking about when he damn near cried when Ulla-Icantspellhisname died. You know when we got "The Heart".
Ohhh, Ulquiorra.

You mean how he was battle-depressed because the hollow that he'd been trying to suppress and shun for the entire arc had to save his life and fight the battle that he couldn't win alone? I don't really see how that's unreasonable, much less stupid. Especially considering it was the first time the hollow actually really took control.

If you think he was "sad" about the fact that Ulquiorra died then I'm not sure what you were reading.

scy

Toriko 238 - Toriko starts to win!

And then SOMETHING.

Same ol', same ol' basically.

Edit:

Yasashii Sekai no Tsukurikata - Only a few chapters in. Basically, guy (19) teaching at an all-girls high school, blah blah blah, probably setting itself up to a harem with only two real candidates. Not sure if I'm supposed to be rooting for him or if I should be hoping that one of the girls kills him. I'm leaning on the latter if only because it's already trying to set up the jealousy!

Shurabara! 01-02

amVFWoql.jpg

A high school kid who's a great matchmaker but helpless in love suddenly becomes the fake boyfriend to three different girls.

Yes, pretty generic harem but the beginning was pretty funny with the internal monologue of the protag. It's probably going to be generic harem antics but it's not too boring for me to stick with. It does have the chance of doing something special with this but not getting my hopes up.

bigkrev

(hey, hey, guys, psst hey, quietly)

(it's getting pretty crazy over there in the game-land)

Man what. We read everything. I add tons of things to my wishlist based on your posts, don't be silly.

Neogafshitposts on twitter has been particularly entertaining today

Also, damnnnnnn at your collection, Dakku!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Ohhh, Ulquiorra.

You mean how he was battle-depressed because the hollow that he'd been trying to suppress and shun for the entire arc had to save his life and fight the battle that he couldn't win alone? I don't really see how that's unreasonable, much less stupid. Especially considering it was the first time the hollow actually really took control.

If you think he was "sad" about the fact that Ulquiorra died then I'm not sure what you were reading.

I'll be honest, I don't really remember it. How many years ago did it happen? Know what I mean?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Ohhh, Ulquiorra.

Well, it's in the nature of Shounen protagonists to be overly dramatic about stuff anyways.

(hey, hey, guys, psst hey, quietly)

(it's getting pretty crazy over there in the game-land)

I am worrying about the state of my wallet :\

Hint: They're all blind.

Except Ryo Saeba, he maintains his god-tier status. Dude is like Golgo except he can't get laid to save his life.

City Hunter?

He doesn't get together with his lady partner in the end? I could have sworn he had a daughter at some point, but maybe I am imagining things.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Well, it's in the nature of Shounen protagonists to be overly dramatic about stuff anyways.

I am worrying about the state of my wallet :\

City Hunter?

He doesn't get together with his lady partner in the end? I could have sworn he had a daughter at some point, but maybe I am imagining things.

I dunno, they haven't finished it in English yet. There's an AU thing where he's married with a kid with the detective girl, but I dunno how it ends canonically yet. I'd just buy it all in English if I could but no one is putting it out so I need to wait for other means.

Either way he's the best Shounen protagonist, he's god tier even when he's busy chasing girls like a horndog.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I dunno, they haven't finished it in English yet. There's an AU thing where he's married with a kid with the detective girl, but I dunno how it ends canonically yet. I'd just buy it all in English if I could but no one is putting it out so I need to wait for other means.

Either way he's the best Shounen protagonist, he's god tier even when he's busy chasing girls like a horndog.

Oh yeah he's great.

It's also surprising how... heavy, City Hunter can be sometimes, especially at the later volumes.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oh yeah he's great.

It's also surprising how... heavy, City Hunter can be sometimes, especially at the later volumes.

It starts heavy as hell though. I mean damn, shit gets realer than real on the regular early on. The translations are only about half way done or so, but it does transitions from comedy to serious drama very very well. Sometimes from panel to panel. I wish more manga were this good.

The writer also has a series about crossdressers that is very well done. It's funny as all holy hell, but takes the subject seriously and never really feels like it's mean spirited. All the characters are like real people, which really helps. It's just so good. Of course the translations for that series have stalled. I can't remember the last time we got a new chapter.

This guy deserves a lot more love, everything I've ever read from him has been god tier.

wonzo

Banned
Kingdom 20-30

It was this part which convinced me to not drop this series and stick with its woeful CG as it was the first time the political aspect of it really struck a chord with me. A shame next to nothing of the Manga was translated back then. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom