• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivor

Banned
So I had this idea of instead trying to marathon one series at a time to take 5-6 different series and read 2-3 chapters a day of each and compare the different series as I read them all from the beginning. Not only would it allow me to knock out several back log series but it would also help me push though series at a quicker pace then I'm currently at (sorry Eyeshield 21 it's not you it's me).

Was thinking of doing

Eyeshield 21 (from where I'm currently at cause I'm already reading it...)
Shaman King
Completely random series
Shonen fight series you guys recommend
Another series you guys recommend any genre

Thoughts on doing something like this? I don't want to stop reading ES21 but I don't want to feel like I need to read some 300 pages of that before I can read another fight series lol
I recommend Blame. Kickass action, almost no dialogues at all and light on the story. You can probably finish each volume in 10 minutes.
ibgEIE7ORnfR5N.jpg

That's what I do most of the time. I'm planning to do this with AKB49, Crows, Kingdom and Arakawa Under the Bridge pretty soon.

Considering how much you post about manga here I guess it works lol

How about:

Glass mask (shoujo to wash all that shounen away.) :p
Soredemo machi wa mawatteiru for laughs.
I'll also recommend yokohama kadiashi kikou if you just want to read something relaxing.

Wiseblade had me interested in Glass Mask, what exactly is Soredemo not heard much of it.

Also I just used a random thingy chooser and got JoJo's Bizarre Adventure as my completely random option lol.

DarkMehm

So I had this idea of instead trying to marathon one series at a time to take 5-6 different series and read 2-3 chapters a day of each and compare the different series as I read them all from the beginning. Not only would it allow me to knock out several back log series but it would also help me push though series at a quicker pace then I'm currently at (sorry Eyeshield 21 it's not you it's me).

Was thinking of doing

Shaman King
Completely random series

Thoughts on doing something like this? I don't want to stop reading ES21 but I don't want to feel like I need to read some 300 pages of that before I can read another fight series lol

I always read mangas concurrently. It's much more efficient as you can read 3-4 chapters of Manga A and then right as you get enough of it switch to Manga B, then to Manga C and after that you can go back to Manga A. Rinse and repeat. You can read a lot more chapters a day with this method. It shouldn't be too much though, my sweetspot seems to be three series at a time.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Considering how much you post about manga here I guess it works lol

Wiseblade had me interested in Glass Mask, what exactly is Soredemo not heard much of it.

Soredemo is just a pretty funny slice of life manga.

Great characters, with some pretty amazing interactions and scenarios.

Was thinking of doing

Shaman King
Completely random series

Shoukoku no Altair

Antiwhippy

Is it better then Yotsuba? Was thinking of checking that out soon

Huh.

It's kind of hard for me to put one over the other actually. :p Personally they're on par, but yotsuba has the cuteness x-factor.

Mouryou no Hako 2

TBnMs1R.png

Nasty.

I'm still confused as to what is happening, but everything is really fucking creepy. Also the characters seem deliciously deranged.

Stuffing people into boxes seems to be a recurring theme.

I wish I could do that with manga (far easier with anime for some reason). A new series at chp 1 pops up and I swiftly abandon trying to read another Eyeshield 21 chapter or start Medaka Box/Beelzebub, and instead target the new manga.

Antiwhippy

Mouryou no Hako 3a

This suddenly became a very long and very complicated dissertation on the role of a religious medium, psychic, and diviner, what their goals are and the methods they use in order to make people believe them.

It's kind of awesome but I'm a little lost at the moment.

flawfuls

Mouryou no Hako 3a

This suddenly became a very long and very complicated dissertation on the role of a religious medium, psychic, and diviner on what their goals are and the methods they use in order to make people believe them.

It's kind of awesome but I'm a little lost at the moment.

Haha sounds just like the anime.

flawfuls

Yume Nikki 1-2

Liking this so far. There's barely any explanation on what's happening, but it fits with the surreal nature of the dream world and imagery.

Fantastic art so far.

I knew there was a Yume Nikki manga, but I didn't release it was by Hitoshi Tomizawa. This is going to be amazing.

There's an anime series?

I might hunt it down once I'm done with the current translations.
Yup and it's quality stuff too. It's a shame nobody watched it.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Phantom Blood 1-3

The art for this is very dated, but it still a fairly unique style even if it hasn't evolved into the more iconic JoJo art you see today. Dio is a glorious bastard and JoJo is a likeable sap. I've already seen all of Phantom Blood in the anime release and for a most part it did an incredibly accurate job of adapting this from what I've seen.

Eyeshield 21 20-22

This mostly is establishing who the fourth main player on the team is going to be, a baseball star who is incredible at catching but can't throw for beans. His personality seems like he'll fit in well with the DB's.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
No Soul Eater is popular. But monthly manga like FMA DN are about 108 chapters, so its not wierd that SE ends close to that number. Medusa is dead, Noah has been consumed and becomes useless now. DTK became a shinigami and replaced his father, Crona is about to be saved, Maka controls the black blood etc. all the plot points are coming together and it's the final fight. All i want is a new SE anime by bones. Now.

Jeeze I forgot all about Crona killing Medusa. (And I don't think I'll ever fully understand the black blood.) I stand by my disappointment in the lack of Maka's mother, though. It really felt like a Kekkaishi plot thread, where she was gonna suddenly finally appear and be super important but nope, nothing.

Antiwhippy

Mouryou no Hako 4

So after all the set up, it seems like we're finally getting to meet the main cast.

Really interesting so far with the whole dismemberment, stuffing people into boxes, and insane cults. Will probably watch the anime to see how this unfolds.

Jeeze I forgot all about Crona killing Medusa. (And I don't think I'll ever fully understand the black blood.) I stand by my disappointment in the lack of Maka's mother, though. It really felt like a Kekkaishi plot thread, where she was gonna suddenly finally appear and be super important but nope, nothing.

Ohkubo might show Maka´s mother at the end just to introduce her after all the fighting is done, so that the audience finally see her. I can imagine Ohkubo keeping her a mystery even after the end of the manga much like the gender of Crona.

His Favorite v4
tumblr_mopbp9JVSb1qbxqfpo1_250.png

Great color page. Another hilarious volume that seemed at times to show just how ridiculous the writer makes a few moments in the plot. The fat camp for Sato and the kids running from tigers, cheetahs, lions, etc and then many more moments there made me laugh a bit, then back in the present day Yoshida's usual reactions and the Haunted House (best). Sure no progress was made on their relationship beyond two fast kiss moments, but it was still a blast. Love the series and cant wait for v5. Taro chan, Nishida are good to have around too.

DarkMehm

YuYu Hakusho End

Wow, those last 30 or so chapters, what the hell? It can't be a cancellation, because it is one of the best selling mangas ever on a per volume basis. Why did he rush it?

Anyway, it was a really solid series and a worthwhile read.

Akito

YuYu Hakusho End

Wow, those last 30 or so chapters, what the hell? It can't be a cancellation, because it is one of the best selling mangas ever on a per volume basis. Why did he rush it?

Anyway, it was a really solid series and a worthwhile read.
Depression. He even apologized publicly for the ending in a doujin he drew sometime after.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
I hope someone will translate Ballroom e Youkoso one day...
The covers are beautiful.
FnT3xtx.jpg

Ballroom dancing? Man, how in the world do you make that compelling in manga form? Now I want to read it.

What next, a horse back riding/ equestrian manga? Water polo?

. . These already exist, don't they.

Kurita

There's already a waterpolo manga IIRC
Wonzo talked about it.
And Japan loves horse racing so I'm sure there's a manga about it.

Gintamen

No Soul Eater is popular. But monthly manga like FMA DN are about 108 chapters, so its not wierd that SE ends close to that number.
Let's also not forget the length of a monthly chapter, so much more can be put into them, not needing a cliffhanger, bit could end up with lots of double pages too. :p

Let's also not forget the length of a monthly chapter, so much more can be put into them, not needing a cliffhanger, bit could end up with lots of double pages too. :p

This reminds me of Berserk. I read 320 chapters in a week, and there were like 30 chapters worth of double pages which made the reading much faster :p

Akito

Baby Steps 164
Yep, I was expecting the match to end swiftly. Now against Nabae, this should be good, it would be too early for Maruo to win though I suspect.

Umisho !
By the author of Otogi No Machi No Rena (a.k.a. creatures in my 'gina) and Sankarea (a.k.a. Zombie smut)
GacIwUQ.jpg

She likes to swim naked, but for the tankubon's cover she complied

Story of Okiura, the manager of the Umisho swimming team
except that he can't swim
and Amuro (girl on the cover), whose floating house pulled up to the shore coincientally when the club was in dire need of members. Which was perfect since Amuro's got the habit of swimming nude, and turns out to be quite talented at it as she has lived her whole life on sea, so she joins the club.

It's not this century's manga, nor it is excellent, but it's charming at times
I always like mangas where romantic issues are dealt with in relatively realistic amounts of pages
, there's some comedy and there is some smut (granted with that setting...). Some chapters are hilarious thanks to Shizuoka
's hidden perversity
and Captain's insanity. It's not that long either (130 10-pages chapters), so it's ideal in short bursts or to pass the afternoon.

Sai

Imma start pouching some of you, and force you to join the D-Frag! fanclub.

'cept for God's Beard. He can stay out. :p

It started out nice enough, then took this deep dive somewhere between a quarter and halfway in.

The Captain, and Shizuoka's parents were lulz, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom