• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

World Trigger

This was a big chapter. We finally get the info dump the series has needed, and they manage to give us EVERYTHING- from character motivations to why Yuma is so small. It also set up the finale of this opening story arc in a way that didn't seem overly forced.

Can't wait to see what happens next.

aravuus

No, it's his very first manga, he was 19 when he sent it to magazines.

19?! I'm reading manga from someone younger than me?

I don't know what to think.

Well, other than that at least he won't suddenly die of some illness, taking the rest of the story to grave with him.

Kurita

19?! I'm reading manga from someone younger than me?

I don't know what to think.

Well, other than that at least he won't suddenly die of some illness, taking the rest of the story to grave with him.

19 when he sent it! The serialization began in 2009, he was 23.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That's probably what the boys were telling themselves as well.

I really want some Miso Ramen for lunch now, but there's like one place in town that does a decent version.

Wiseblade

The film is garbage compared to the book

I guessed as much! There's no way anyone would make a movie that truer to the book's framing device. although a 12 episode TV miniseries or a high quality Youtube show could have been amazing. That format fits the short anecdote nature of the book much better. Each episode could start with a shot of the interviewee introducing themselves and switch to a dramatisation of their story while they narrate over it. Would probably come the closest to capturing the same feeling as the book and making the most of the medium.

Akito

Chihayafuru v1
Now that the anime's over and a sequel is highly unlikely for foreseeable future, I decided to pick up the manga start over because it's such a great series. I forgot what a jerk Taichi was as a child, no wonder I was on #TeamArata from the beginning.

Attack of the Titans

This manga was not entirely what I expected, at least ... the whole protagonist turning into one of those dudes thing part was something I hadn't heard of at all before going in.

Not sure what to make of all the mindfucks lately, has this author made any other manga before this?

I'm liking the mindfucks but the author is cornering himself with such a limited setup and characters.

That would be even worse! The only thing even remotely interesting about HSOTD

...obviously ti-----

from a narrative perspective

---ah, ok.

Aizo

Banned
I bet it's no World War Z though!

Seriously. I'm reading the book now and it's brilliant. I can't wait to be thoroughly disappointed by the film.

Have you read I Am a Hero, though? Check it out! I can't take your bet because I've not read World War Z.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I guessed as much! There's no way anyone would make a movie that truer to the book's framing device. although a 12 episode TV miniseries or a high quality Youtube show could have been amazing. That format fits the short anecdote nature of the book much better. Each episode could start with a shot of the interviewee introducing themselves and switch to a dramatisation of their story while they narrate over it. Would probably come the closest to capturing the same feeling as the book and making the most of the medium.

A miniseries framed like a documentary would have been the best way to adapt it, that said it'll never happen.

World Trigger

This was a big chapter. We finally get the info dump the series has needed, and they manage to give us EVERYTHING- from character motivations to why Yuma is so small. It also set up the finale of this opening story arc in a way that didn't seem overly forced.

Can't wait to see what happens next.

Sounds like I need to quickly get time to actually read this issue..instead of just the table of contents and the authors page...which I hope KAITO doesnt get so focused on Monster Hunter that it starts to show in Cross Manage.
tumblr_mp9nnoI6Hd1qbxqfpo1_1280.png

Wiseblade

A miniseries framed like a documentary would have been the best way to adapt it, that said it'll never happen.

I want it to keep the interview framing device though. Even though there's the issue of every narrator surviving everything they went through, the book makes it clear that they are by far the lucky ones. And something about having "real" people tell their stories makes it feel more raw.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Food Smut 27-29

I still find this enjoyable, but the author needs to pile on the characters slower.

Aizo

Banned
Ressentiment 1-9
Depressing French title that really says a lot about the series. It seemed like it was going to be full of female subjugation at the beginning which had me worried. Looks like it's mostly going to take the high road, so I hope the MC develops quite a bit in terms of empathy. I guess you don't need to feel empathy for A.I., though. Hmm. I hope this series is good. It's different. That's for sure.

Lain

Chihayafuru v1
Now that the anime's over and a sequel is highly unlikely for foreseeable future, I decided to pick up the manga start over because it's such a great series. I forgot what a jerk Taichi was as a child, no wonder I was on #TeamArata from the beginning.

TeamArata is the only good team, other than TeamYuri.

Kusagari

Witchcraft Works 4-7

Those initial tower witches are basically Team Rocket at this point. His sister is awesome. And now we get a villainess called Medusa?

Screaming Lessons 36

3065940ugsod.png

Now there's a face I'm glad to see. This was the first manga chapter I've read for about 2 months. The withdrawal symptoms were reaching terminal levels.

Aside from a mild mental malady and an ex-fish, no-one really suffered in this story. Which makes it below average for a Screaming Lessons chapter, but still better than a non Screaming Lessons chapter. Anyway, that's the last regular story in vol 9, so there's just the Special to go before the next volu--

7656975844hvsb7.jpg

OLkD3Vb.gif

Aizo

Banned
Tonnura-san 1-2
All right. The curiosity got the best of me.
Insert curiosity killing the cat joke here.
I like how this panel is depicted sweetly. It made me chuckle.

wonzo

Banned
Attack on Titan 1-9

Finally decided to dust off the 5 volumes I have of this sitting on my shelf and read through the first two. It's pretty enjoyable so far even if it's turned into this weird as hell
titan MMA thing.
I'm kinda bummed they
didn't leave Eren killed off as it felt kinda like a copout given the "survival" bent to this
but it's still pretty entertaining to read. The art's pretty bad times though, jeez.

I did like how the Q&A at the end of volume one pretty much spoiled the
Eren turns into a Titan twist and the backstory with Mikasa and her scarf.
lol

One-Punch Man 21
tumblr_mpaakry0iY1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Id have been one of those people, Genos is the best here, though hope he gets higher in rank. I wonder what they say about Sonic.

This meteor event is pretty exciting and kind of really immersive too visually when zooming out of the apartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom