• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Naruto

haha Shikamuru scoring some points with Temari
;

bow chika bow wow

Shoukugeki no Food Smut

I knew she was talking about Food Dad the moment she referenced some perfect meal; I sort of figured that at some point we'd find out that the dad was super famous at the school, although it actually had not been made apparent that he even went there.

Hopefully you don't fail out of the school if you lose the battle things. Again.

Soma

She knows his dad? LOLOLOLOL

And damn I knew his father had to be a beast and have some relation to the school (second seat is pretty damn high)

Shokugeki no Soma 34
Please don't be long-lost childhood friends of some sort. Alice should be in Polar Star, that would qualify as a surprising new development. Yukihara's dad was looks him with long slicked back hair, not bad looking design. Wonder if there's any significance in different last names.

Could be that he used the family name of his wife (whoever she was)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shokugeki no soma 34

Welp, childhood friends.

It was nice knowing you todokoro and Italian dude.

Tadokoro was never going to get anywhere though. The only real question is whether Erina's going to show the deredere for Foodlad before or after she finds out his relation to Food Dad.

My guess is that the name change has something to do with why he's apparently an ultra-famous graduate who works at a random food shop in Japan. Not to mention that Soma's mom is clearly not around and he referenced in the first chapter about the most important thing about cooking is a good woman. If I had to guess, the mother died at some point while Food Lad was young and the heartbroker Food Dad decided to quit trying to be internationally successful and just live quietly with the kid.

Tadokoro was never going to get anywhere though. The only real question is whether Erina's going to show the deredere for Foodlad before or after she finds out his relation to Food Dad.

Indeed plus its hilarious both of them have the same person they are aiming to impress.

Shoukugeki no Food Smut

I sort of figured that at some point we'd find out that the dad was super famous at the school, although it actually had not been made apparent that he even went there.

There were signs though as they explained Tootsuki's influence (iirc if you fail the fact you got admitted still gives you a small shot, plus is pops said he got a hookup from a colleague) and also Doujima's posturing when he heard of Souma's full name.

Also his dad recommended him to the school and I don't think they would just take anyone, even for the testing imo

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

My guess is that the name change has something to do with why he's apparently an ultra-famous graduate who works at a random food shop in Japan. Not to mention that Soma's mom is clearly not around and he referenced in the first chapter about the most important thing about cooking is a good woman. If I had to guess, the mother died at some point while Food Lad was young and the heartbroker Food Dad decided to quit trying to be internationally successful and just live quietly with the kid.

Yeah, it'll be nice if they start building on the history of his father now.

I was kind of pulling for tadokoro during this arc, but this chapter was the death knell.

Cwarrior

Gintama 455

DIJldpX.png

Say it ain't so :[

I will never understand how anyone is able to watch a comedy anime that's the opposite of fun/funny but is in fact incredible boring and it's attempts at trying to be sad comes offs repetitive telegraphed eye roll moments you wish to end as soon as possible.

It manages to be less funny then bleach & it's shingami cup golden and that show isn't even a comedy it's just slightly above the long filler stretch in naruto part 1 in quality.

Kurita

I will never understand how anyone is able to watch a comedy anime that's the opposite of fun/funny but is in fact incredible boring and it's attempts at trying to be sad comes offs repetitive telegraphed eye roll moments you wish to end as soon as possible.

It manages to be less funny then bleach & it's shingami cup golden and that show isn't even a comedy it's just slightly above the long filler stretch in naruto part 1 in quality.
Thank god he's not watching the anime then!

Bullshit.

Gintama is one of the best written mangas in Jump history. It goes for gags more often than not, and there are a few chapters that are lost in translation, but overall, one of my favourites, ever.

mhs004

I don't even know what to say......

Toriko

Good chapter I quite enjoyed it. I'm exited to see the mystery behind Frohze and if she has any more moves to show off. The technique Jirou and Setsu showed was pretty cool as well. Getting tired of the Komatsu harem though.

Angry Grimace

People actually thought Tadokoro had a chance?

Who knows if anyone has a chance. Food Lad appears to have Ichigoitis and be completely oblivious to busty, attractive women.

Angry Grimace

So your typical Shonen Jump hero then.

I personally find that trait to be distracting since its impossible to relate to people who don't have human emotions. The problem is that WSM and WSJ constantly sell sex, which makes it even more weird and distracting.

And, yes, I know some people want to give credit to authors who don't bother since 'they shouldn't write things they're bad at,' but I don't agree with that at all. It's just an excuse to write shallow characters and never resolve anything.

I personally find that trait to be distracting since its impossible to relate to people who don't have human emotions. The problem is that WSM and WSJ constantly sell sex, which makes it even more weird and distracting.

I get what you mean. It really is somewhat of a Shonen Jump trait though, with Son Goku, Luffy, Ichigo, Soma, having it. Honestly for me, you don't really read those mangas for the character's personality. You read it to see adult sized children beat shit up.

Angry Grimace

I get what you mean. It really is somewhat of a Shonen Jump trait though, with Son Goku, Luffy, Ichigo, Soma, having it. Honestly for me, you don't really read those mangas for the character's personality. You read it to see adult sized children beat shit up.
You can hand wave Goku because he was like 3 feet tall and acted like an actual pre-pubescent and immediately got married once he grew up.

Ichigo's universe is filled with busty ladies and constant comments about them and members of Luffy's crew have tits the size of their head and wear practically nothing. Its very odd that neither of them notice.

being fair Goku got better and maybe the others will as well (Soma seems to be an eventual lock given the advice his father gave in the chapter, but when it will happen is anybody's guess LOL)

Gamerloid

Yo MangaGAF! I'll be joining this thread despite it being near finished since I'm such a fan of manga and anime. Been more into Manga more than anime recently.

Favorite Manga: Slam Dunk - Just read it again too
Favorite Manga Character: Joseph Joestar - I love a guy that uses strategies and not just muscles
Favorite Genres: Shonen, Action, Adventure, Slice of Life, and Comedy

Currently reading:
  1. Katekyo Hitman Reborn - Final Arc
  2. Medaka Box - Just started
  3. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Stardust Crusaders
Of course I love stuff like One Piece but I like to let chapters build up to read it in a marathon. Show is too good to read once a week!

mhs004

Yo MangaGAF! I'll be joining this thread despite it being near finished since I'm such a fan of manga and anime. Been more into Manga more than anime recently.

Favorite Manga: Slam Dunk - Just read it again too
Favorite Manga Character: Joseph Joestar - I love a guy that uses strategies and not just muscles
Favorite Genres: Shonen, Action, Adventure, Slice of Life, and Comedy

Currently reading:
  1. Katekyo Hitman Reborn - Final Arc
  2. Medaka Box - Just started
  3. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Stardust Crusaders
Of course I love stuff like One Piece but I like to let chapters build up to read it in a marathon. Show is too good to read once a week!

Read Toriko and shokugeki no soma.....your welcome.

You can hand wave Goku because he was like 3 feet tall and acted like an actual pre-pubescent and immediately got married once he grew up.

Ichigo's universe is filled with busty ladies and constant comments about them and members of Luffy's crew have tits the size of their head and wear practically nothing. Its very odd that neither of them notice.

I won't be surprised if Luffy is gay. I mean come on, he lived with two other boys in the jungle, he has a rubber penis that can be inflated too.

Some sexual experimentation might have happened when he was young.

Angry Grimace

Maybe they're just not interested in them and DTL was right all along.

Does DTL ship Luffy with Zoro?

Fake retcon: Oh wait, I think I remember, its Luffy and Ace, right?

Gamerloid

Read Toriko and shokugeki no soma.....your welcome.

I did enjoy Toriko when it came to Shonen Jump in the US. Yeah, I should definitely check that out. As for the other one...

Yukihira Souma's dream is to become a full-time chef in his father's restaurant and surpass his father's culinary skill. But just as Yukihira graduates from middle schools his father, Yukihira Jouichirou, closes down the restaurant to cook in Europe. Although downtrodden, Souma's fighting spirit is rekindled by a challenge from Jouichirou which is to survive in an elite culinary school where only 10% of the students graduate. Can Souma survive?
Only 34 chapters in? Sold! I'll probably give this priority so I can start reading it weekly as it comes out.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Cwarrior

Bullshit.

Gintama is one of the best written mangas in Jump history. It goes for gags more often than not, and there are a few chapters that are lost in translation, but overall, one of my favourites, ever.

Am talking about the anime which has cleverly written dialogue(thanks to the mangka) but very poorly executed drama moments telegraphed by same repetitive track so you know a sob story is coming before the characters even open there mouths and dull attempts at comedy with hit rate of 1 in 1000 jokes rate to get just to get a smirk from the viewer, the only enjoyment to be found is reading the subs which you can get the same enjoyment by reading a pdf file of the subs.

I can understand why the anime is being cancelled now that bleach is not around on the same block helping it's ratings and beelzebub whatever that other one is called.

Goku got trapped into getting married, the boy didn't even know what was going on lol.

Kurita

I did enjoy Toriko when it came to Shonen Jump in the US. Yeah, I should definitely check that out. As for the other one...

Only 34 chapters in? Sold! I'll probably give this priority so I can start reading it weekly as it comes out.

Thanks for the suggestions.

If you liked Slam Dunk you should try Eyeshield 21. It's essentialy the same formula but with (american) football. One of the best sports shounen ever.

Stuff I recommend :
REAL
Tonari no Seki-kun
One Punch Man
Makai no Ossan
Oyasumi Punpun
Detroit Metal City
I Am a Hero
Uchuu Kyoudai
AKB49
Kingdom
Nodame Cantabile

Am talking about the anime which has cleverly written dialogue(thanks to the mangka) but very poorly executed drama moments telegraphed by same repetitive track so you know a sob story is coming before the characters even open there mouths and dull attempts at comedy with hit rate of 1 in 1000 jokes rate to get just to get a smirk from the viewer, the only enjoyment to be found is reading the subs which you can get the same enjoyment by reading a pdf file of the subs.

I can understand why the anime is being cancelled now that bleach is not around on the same block helping it's ratings and beelzebub whatever that other one is called.

blahblahyouonlywatched15episodesblahblah

Or you know, they managed to hit the wall of material to adapt and know better than to waste time with fillers. And its last run, it wasn't even paired up with Bleach. It took over Sket Dance's airing time, so try just a little bit harder.

Angry Grimace

Goku got trapped into getting married, the boy didn't even know what was going on lol.
He still hit it, and obviously continued to do so over time.

Cwarrior

blahblahyouonlywatched15episodesblahblah

Or you know, they managed to hit the wall of material to adapt and know better than to waste time with fillers. And its last run, it wasn't even paired up with Bleach. It took over Sket Dance's airing time, so try just a little bit harder.

Well I watched 30 episode which I would think is a decent amount it's meant to be primarily a comedy show if I have to trudge through that many boring episode to find the funny then it's already failed me, show of that nature are meant to be something drop in for comedy to laugh to if there is none then whats the point, it doesn't have any other substantial draws.

It's not like I didn't give the anime a chance I tried my best to like it, I came in enthusiastic & excited but it became less entertaining as it went on as it felt more and more like chore to watch gintoki do his job.

It used to by air right next to bleach in Gintama first run, it had promotional ads of bleach & gintama block a few years back.

Bleach/gintama block ad

Aizo

Banned
If you liked Slam Dunk you should try Eyeshield 21. It's essentialy the same formula but with (american) football. One of the best sports shounen ever.

Stuff I recommend :
REAL
Tonari no Seki-kun
One Punch Man
Makai no Ossan
Oyasumi Punpun
Detroit Metal City
I Am a Hero
Nodame Cantabile

I agree with these. I've not read the others that Kurita recommended. Tell me if you want Seinen recommendations.

Korosenai

Stuff I recommend :
REAL
Tonari no Seki-kun
One Punch Man
Makai no Ossan
Oyasumi Punpun
Detroit Metal City
I Am a Hero
Uchuu Kyoudai
AKB49
Kingdom
Nodame Cantabile
Berserk
Hunter x Hunter

Well I watched 30 episode which I would think is a decent amount it's meant to be primarily a comedy show if I have to trudge through that many boring episode to find the funny then it's already failed me, show of that nature are meant to be something drop in for comedy to laugh to if there is none then whats the point, it doesn't have any other substantial draws.

It's not like I didn't give the anime a chance I tried my best to like it, I came in enthusiastic & excited but it became less entertaining as it went on as it felt more and more like chore to watch gintoki do his job.

It used to by air right next to bleach in Gintama first run, it had promotional ads of bleach & gintama block a few years back.

Bleach/gintama block ad

Completely decent. I mean you only watched 15% of the entire show's (first) run and are judging the entirety of the series based off what you watched!
Not even like you reached the first serious arc either, wwww

Yes, that was back then. And it didn't get cancelled due to low ratings, it got cancelled since Sunrise ran into a wall of running out of manga material to adapt. Much smarter to take a pause and come back once there's more material instead of letting the ratings run to the ground with horrible fillers like a certain show that was paired with Gintama.

upandaway

Shokugeki no Soma

Hahaha, whoa! Things are getting pretty heated. I'm most surprised that Doujima beat the dad (not sure if I was overestimating the dad or underestimating Doujima, but holy crap Doujima is super endgame). Powerlevels definitely gonna be a thing later on :lol

Thing with Erina is also amazing (her face in that picture omigosh). I'm willing to make a gusty bet right now that Alice will be the first to find out, among all 3.

I love this. I am happy.

Cwarrior

Completely decent. I mean you only watched 15% of the entire show's (first) run and are judging the entirety of the series based off what you watched!

I was told it would get good after ep24 but it didn't except for the later half of that episode being good the rest was back to status quo post ep24, but my first initial goal was to watch it for the serious arc but I got discourage when I heard it was as far back as episode 50, after I got passed half way mark I could almost see the goal in sight but then another god damn awful shinpachi episode happened (ep30) I bailed the fuck out in fear of another shitty shinpachi episode I don't think my mind could take anymore of his shitty lame stories.

bigkrev

Shokugeki no Soma

The sexual tension between Souma and TsunTsun in that car ride was suffocating.

I'd be shocked if it's anything other than this, honestly.

Yes, that was back then. And it didn't get cancelled due to low ratings, it got cancelled since Sunrise ran into a wall of running out of manga material to adapt. Much smarter to take a pause and come back once there's more material instead of letting the ratings run to the ground with horrible fillers like a certain show that was paired with Gintama.

Or they could opt for a 1 chapter=1 episode rate like a certain other unwatchable jump adaptation.

Gamerloid

Stuff I recommend :
REAL
Tonari no Seki-kun
One Punch Man
Makai no Ossan
Oyasumi Punpun
Detroit Metal City
I Am a Hero
Uchuu Kyoudai
AKB49
Kingdom
Nodame Cantabile
wow. A lot on that list I haven't read. REAL is a must though. Thanks, I'll definitely add these to the list.

I agree with these. I've not read the others that Kurita recommended. Tell me if you want Seinen recommendations.
Seinen is compels fine by me.

Berserk
Hunter x Hunter
Surprisingly I haven't started HxH even though I enjoyed Yu Yu Hakusho. I really putting it off saying I'll watch the anime but I much rather read the manga now.

There's only one recommendation, it's called Sanctuary FOURTEEN.
Googling

A SF/horror manga that takes place in 2200. At a chicken manufacturing company, a certain chicken transforms into a supermutant named Chicken George. And so, a nightmarish journey through a twisted version of the future unfolds.
Lol such a description does not do a horror manga any favors xD

EDIT:

Dang forgot one read hot house. I know you will love it.
Well posting here turned out very well pretty fast. I have a full list going. Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom