• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
I don't see why that's a negative. The Straw Hats have always lived in their own little bubble not caring about anything outside their group (maybe Robin). Besides, I don't need an entire arc hyping people up.

Then again, I also think this is one of the best arcs since Sabaody.

Especially when all the new powers and characters are so original. Jacket bros? Come on. How is that not ridiculously awesome.

My only question is about conquerors haki . . I thought it was supposed to be super rare? Like only 5 people have it or something? Or am I thinking of will of D. stuff?

Chapter was great otherwise, hopefully Oda is well enough to stop taking so many breaks. One, because his health really is important, and two, because . . I need more One Piece all the time.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Is there an explanation for this somewhere

Pretty sure it's retcons, but if we're looking for an in-universe explanation, maybe just.. degrees of armament? Only turns black if you're really aiming to do some serious damage, but doesn't change color if all you're trying to do is negate a logia?

My only question is about conquerors haki . . I thought it was supposed to be super rare? Like only 5 people have it or something? Or am I thinking of will of D. stuff?

Will of D is definitely far rarer. Conqueror's haki is certainly rare, but it's more just like "out of people who can use haki, occasionally there is a rare case of someone being able to use conqueror's haki." In the New World pretty much everyone worth a damn is gonna be using haki, so there'll probably be a naturally higher quantity of conqueror types. Four emperors easily, but when even wimps like Boa Hancock have it, it can't be THAT super rare.

upandaway

Will of D is definitely far rarer. Conqueror's haki is certainly rare, but it's more just like "out of people who can use haki, occasionally there is a rare case of someone being able to use conqueror's haki." In the New World pretty much everyone worth a damn is gonna be using haki, so there'll probably be a naturally higher quantity of conqueror types. Four emperors easily, but when even wimps like Boa Hancock have it, it can't be THAT super rare.
Wait wait a second! Hancock is a wimp? I always got the idea that she's high end.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras

Boobs, man. She conquers with boooooobs.

(thank you for the refresher lol now I shall rescind back into the shadows)

Akito

It's one in a million chance so there's nothing strange about the number of person having it so far.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Pretty sure it's retcons, but if we're looking for an in-universe explanation, maybe just.. degrees of armament? Only turns black if you're really aiming to do some serious damage, but doesn't change color if all you're trying to do is negate a logia?

They said it was like 1 in 10,000 that could use it, so that's quite a bit of people in a large population. If the population of the One Piece world is equal to that of our own (6 billion or so) then there would be 600,000 people capable of using Conqueror's Haki. From there you consider only the big shots will make it to the New World, and the fact that most huge names can probably use it, it's no surprise that we'd be seeing it all over the place. You could basically found a large-ish country with no one but people able to use it.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Wait wait a second! Hancock is a wimp? I always got the idea that she's high end.

Well, just a relative wimp. She's probably weaker than most members of the Shichibukai, and certainly nowhere near the likes of the Four Emperors or Rayleigh, known conqueror types.

I wonder if Blackbeard has it. He's got the Will of D, he certainly has willpower overall, that much was clear in Jaya. But he's also basically a total pussy.

El Sloth

Banned
Guys, the anime thread gets newbies to watch School Days. So what's our School Days equivalent? Dogsuit Smut? Usagi Drop? To-Love Ru Darkness?

upandaway

So I've been trying to think hard about a top 10, but I guess this wasn't meant to be. Anyway I can just write whatever comes to mind first when I think about manga I love, and stop at 10 welp, how about 15.

One Piece
Hunter x Hunter
Law of Ueki (and Plus)
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru
Hoozuki-san Chi no Aneki
Kyou Kara Ore Wa
Hayate no Gotoku
Yotsuba&
Takkoku!
Gintama
Kaiji
Baby Steps
Shokugeki no Soma
Saki (and Achiga-hen)
Molester Man

Oh hey it turned out better than expected. Still missing a few more but whatever.
it secretly works as 3 top lists of different genres... and molester man

Amikami

Banned
Naruto

Sakura's moment to shine is already long forgotten about lol

It was lame anyway. I can hardly remember but didn't she have to store that chakra for like 3 years just to use it once or maybe that was a mistranslation. I'm sorry but that's lame, Sasuke and Naruto can do the same thing instantly with susanoo and kyuubi, recharge after a few seconds (probably nano-seconds), and do it again for the next 12 hours. And to top it all off she got cocky and was still saved by them.

Was never a doubt in my mind that it was fanservice and she would be forgotten quickly. This is really about Naruto and Sasuke. Even Minato said so. The title of this chapter is appropriate for the entire manga.

On another note, I'm enjoying how Sauce haters are complaining about Sasuke's ability to adjust instantly to Naruto's Kyuubi chakra and not being injured by Naruto's rasengan, when not even Naruto could handle it when he first tried it.

People need to understand that the Sharingan does whatever the hell Kishimoto needs it to do. It's how he gets away with most of the plot. It's still strange that Sasuke isn't affected by Rasenshurikin. That's a valid question.

I guess if Sasuke is immune to amaterasu, he can handle it...Kishimoto probably just forgot what he wrote when Naruto had his hands bandaged after trying it for the first time.

I hope someone does Tenjin, of the jumplive titles (apart from eid*), it seemed alright with good character designs and the jets and flying did look intense. Cool lead.
BQhjBZKCMAUTC_V.png:large

ryan13ts

One Piece:

Ok, I thought I saw it all, but a Jacket DF? That tops all. While it's certainly one of the most ridiculously inventive abilities I've ever seen, it also has to be the most useless Devil Fruit's in existence. The only way it would be of any use to the user is if someone willingly "put him on" (Like his brother did), otherwise it's quite pointless.

Granted, I also would have thought that the dancing chick with the goggle's DF wouldn't have any real combat purpose, but she can apparently pull fucking whales out of her eyes, so anything is possible in OP I suppose. Also, Luffy vs Don is looking to be pretty good, it'll be good to finally see someone who isn't a complete pushover to Luffy after the timeskip.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I guess if Sasuke is immune to amaterasu, he can handle it...Kishimoto probably just forgot what he wrote when Naruto had his hands bandaged after trying it for the first time.

Well Sasuke's much stronger now than Naruto was back then. Even then, though, it could certainly still be injuring him anyway. They're in the middle of a war, doesn't seem unreasonable that people are gonna get beat to hell, even by the tension of their own attacks. We just aren't seeing the after-effects during the throes of it.

That said, Sasuke also.. isn't touching it. Or making it. He's just putting some fire in it. There's not really any reason to think it should affect him. It's kind of just what Naruto found out way way back, learning about chakra natures, "wind is the best for fueling fire." The foreshadowed combination attack.

Amikami

Banned
Well Sasuke's much stronger now than Naruto was back then. Even then, though, it could certainly still be injuring him anyway. They're in the middle of a war, doesn't seem unreasonable that people are gonna get beat to hell, even by the tension of their own attacks. We just aren't seeing the after-effects during the throes of it.

That said, Sasuke also.. isn't touching it. Or making it. He's just putting some fire in it. There's not really any reason to think it should affect him. It's kind of just what Naruto found out way way back, learning about chakra natures, "wind is the best for fueling fire." The foreshadowed combination attack.

You're right about not showing his injuries in the heat of battle. The attack happened on the last page, and for all anyone knows we'll see a burnt hand next chapter.

Yeah, I know that Sasuke is much stronger than 'that' Naruto, but I think what people mean is that Naruto could not use it without injuring himself until he acquired Sage mode and he seems to use it effectively with Kurama chakra. The whole being injured by Rasenshurikin was forgotten by me until this very discussion about Sasuke so I might not be remembering right. I assume, that Naruto can use rasenshurikin now without any help from Kurama? Has he ever used the attack outside of having Kurama or Sage mode activated?Feels like it's been forever since I've seen him fight without an ounce of chakra from kyuubi...

I'm not sure that Sasuke isn't touching it. Technically Naruto isn't either. Sasuke didn't create it, true, but what caused injuries to Naruto in the past was the chakra burn right? If Sasuke has synced his chakra to naruto's level and assuming speed, it should affect him like an actual Rasengan (Or maybe this is only a wind-element thing).

Sasuke physically runs co-carrying this attack (though he may just need to keep Amaterasu at the right levels. Not sure why he can't do that with his eyes) and physically throws it at the enemy. His Amaterasu doesn't need throwing when it can be flicked anywhere Sasuke wants by just looking at the target.

Of course, it's a combo attack. It takes both of them. I only wonder if syncing and intergrating the attacks give one or the other any individual control of their own part or are they both working to maintain one single attack.

Like I said, it's been so long I can't remember much and I am probably forgetting a Rasenshurikin. I don't think it matters anyway and if it is never mentioned then Kishi doesn't care. It's a sometimes conflictingly written manga and I've already put too much thought into this.

Pimpwerx

Naruto
This finally harkens back to Naruto's words that his wind will make Sasuke's flame burn brighter...or something like that. Cool trick by the 2nd and 4th, and Kishi did a good job showing what everyone else is doing. Other than the 1st, everyone is standing around watching. Pretty stupid, but whatever. Obito is fine, and I'm guessing Madara will inevitably take control of the juubi. This is far from over. I just don't know what other tricks anyone has up their sleeves. PEACE.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Sasuke's much stronger now than Naruto is right now despite all logic and evidence to the contrary because Kishimoto wants him to be.

Epcott

Deadman Wonderland End

I guess that was a decent end for the supporting cast. Not exactly sure what the deal was with Shiro:
I guess she eventually awoke from her coma after the Wretched Egg VS Woodpecker battle. It just dragged on a few panels too long.

Still, it's better than Gantz ending... anything is better than that.

I hope they finish the suspended anime.

Naruto

Speaking of Gantz, this fight is reminding me of that one in Gantz that went on for a fucking year. Not that I'm complaining.

Pimpwerx

One Piece
Oh snap! Great chapter. All sorts of shit happening everywhere. Lucy and Chinjao about to have an epic scrap. Luffy will obviously win, but I'd like to see how he does it without using his gomu-gomu powers. PEACE.

Andeeeh

Naruto

Don't know what throwing chakra based attacks are going to do to Obito. He has the rinnengan. He can just absorb it.

Big One

Banned
Bleach F

Was pretty bad this week, Kubo forgot to write a chapter and WSJ had no pages in it's place. First it was no backgrounds, now it's no pages.

Naruto F

Who the fuck really cares about this manga anymore? Just kill Obito and Madara and whoever the fuck is trying to destroy the universe already. Enough with the sleep-inducing action scenes and dialogue. Let's bring this to a close so we can find out who ends up becoming Hokage in the end.

One Piece B

More crazy shit.

Akito

Oricon Comic Rankings July 22nd - July 28th

01. Giant Killing #28 (189,629 / 189,851)
02. Suki tte Ii na yo. #11 (165,173)
03. Kyou wa Kaisha Yasumimasu #4 (159,119)
04. Meitantei Conan #80 (111,940 / 402,994)
05. Vinland Saga #13 (108,160)
06. Koukou Debut Shitsuren-hen #15 (86,216)
07. Kingdom #31 (80,821 / 208,798)
08. Ahiru no Sora #38 (62,228 / 237,424)
09. Kobayashi ga Kawai Sugite Tsuraii!! #3 (57,660)
10. Gurazeni #11 (55,722)
11. Mahou-jin Guruguru 2 #1 (54,917 / 55,130)
12. Gin no Saji #8 (53,856 / 586,418)
13. Tokyo Ghoul #8 (52,569 / 123,537)
14. Miseinen Dakedo Kodomo ja Nai #2 (45,566)
15. 5-ji Kara 9-ji Made #7 (43,971)
16. Naruto #65 (43,615 / 929,562)
17. Usotsuki Lily #12 (40,074)
18. Kimi to Boku #13 (39,438)
19. Shingeki no Kyojin #10 (38,829 / 1,384,003)
20. Akame ga Kill! #8 (37,833)
21. Pin to Kona #10 (36,765)
22. Shingeki no Kyojin #9 (36,689 / 1,415,880)
23. Shingeki no Kyojin #8 (36,500 / 1,447,355)
24. Shingeki no Kyojin #1 (35,364 / 1,849,883)
25. Shingeki no Kyojin #7 (35,130 / 1,462,956)
26. Mahou-ka Koukou no Rettousei #3 (34,900)
27. Shingeki no Kyojin #6 (34,782 / 1,550,796)
28. Shingeki no Kyojin #5 (34,695 / 1,600,833)
29. Shoujo Fight #10 (34,657)
30. Ansatsu Kyoushitsu #5 (34,532 / 535,135)
31. Shingeki no Kyojin #2 (34,116 / 1,802,233)
32. Shingeki no Kyojin #3 (33,718 / 1,757,682)
33. Shingeki no Kyojin #4 (33,522 / 1,636,613)
34. Rozen Maiden #9 (33,185 / 74,378)
35. Shitsuji-sama no Okiniiri #15 (32,181 / 71,178)
36. ReRe Hello #8 (31,182)
37. Kimi ni Todoke #19 (31,075 / 939,899)
38. Big Order #4 (30,202)
39. One Piece #70 (28,731 / 2,820,992)
40. Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma&#9734;Iriya Drei!! #3 (28,354)
41. Dimension W #4 (27,837)
42. Haru Meguru #1 (22,448)
43. Rinshi!! Ekoda-chan #7 (22,265)
44. Akai Ito #3 (22,194)
45. Toriko #25 (21,369 / 340,805)
46. Natsume Yuujinchou #16 (21,262 / 360,355)
47. Houseki no Kuni #1 (21,204)
48. Pocket Monster Special #46 (21,011)
49. Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou #3 (20,122)
50. Gintama #50 (19,911 / 365,925)

Oricon Comic Rankings July 22nd - July 28th

16. Naruto #65 (43,615 / 929,562)
18. Kimi to Boku #13 (39,438)
30. Ansatsu Kyoushitsu #5 (34,532 / 535,135)
39. One Piece #70 (28,731 / 2,820,992)
45. Toriko #25 (21,369 / 340,805)
50. Gintama #50 (19,911 / 365,925)

Ah nice for Kimi to Boku. And Naruto soars to its millions as usual.

Late September for One Piece to hit three million, theres still like a million printed after that...

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Bleach F

Was pretty bad this week, Kubo forgot to write a chapter and WSJ had no pages in it's place. First it was no backgrounds, now it's no pages.

Naruto F

Who the fuck really cares about this manga anymore? Just kill Obito and Madara and whoever the fuck is trying to destroy the universe already. Enough with the sleep-inducing action scenes and dialogue. Let's bring this to a close so we can find out who ends up becoming Hokage in the end.
The only A+ Content of the week.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Naruto

Don't know what throwing chakra based attacks are going to do to Obito. He has the rinnengan. He can just absorb it.

He got hit with it, I think. But he's also probably basically invincible.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I feel like reading OP one chapter at a time is a mistake right now. I feel like none of the stuff happening is gripping me at all, and everything feels like filler material.

Maybe it would be better to just read them all in bulk.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

They said it was like 1 in 10,000 that could use it, so that's quite a bit of people in a large population. If the population of the One Piece world is equal to that of our own (6 billion or so) then there would be 600,000 people capable of using Conqueror's Haki. From there you consider only the big shots will make it to the New World, and the fact that most huge names can probably use it, it's no surprise that we'd be seeing it all over the place. You could basically found a large-ish country with no one but people able to use it.

Its 1 in a Million. Assuming that's a real statistic (and not a bullshit number made up by the Amazons), it would still account for all the Conqueror's Haki users so far. Even Fishman Island had 5 million people despite not showing anyone remotely capable of Haki.

Right now there has only been 8 Conqueror's Haki users and 2 of them are now dead. So I feel like they're still pretty damn rare. There's even more Logia users out there now than them.

Honestly it's logical for us to see more Conqueror's Haki in the new world and more Haki users in general. Back in East Blue we knew of Devil Fruits thanks to people like Luffy and Buggy having them but people acted like they were rare and that the grand line was incredibly difficult as we saw people like Don Krieg and Kuro fail their. The people who are pulled to the Grand Line and succeed likely have devil fruits and are drawn together to survive. Haki is like that in the new world, those who make it in the new world are all mostly going to have Haki, most of the pirates we met in Paradise didn't have Haki and most probably wouldn't make it in the New World,

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So this is like RPG land basically, with each subsequent zone being tougher than the last.

Korosenai

I feel like reading OP one chapter at a time is a mistake right now. I feel like none of the stuff happening is gripping me at all, and everything feels like filler material.

Maybe it would be better to just read them all in bulk.

I would stop reading One Piece and let it stack up for a while... but I have no willpower.

wonzo

Banned
Li Mu by Hara Yasuhisa

The Oneshot named after the legendary general of the same name which would later lead to the series Kingdom being serialised, which of course both Li Mu and his assistant; Hai Yin, as the antagonists. The art was pretty rough but it does act as a decent prequel story filling in the background on what happened with these two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom