• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shokugeki no Soma 34

Ready for an intense cooking. I wonder who from Polar Star will be picked as we didnt see a lot of the others cook yet. Im hoping for Takumi to be picked as well.

Jump ought to sell Souma towel replicas (also still waiting on Border badges). Speaking of which, still want a Haikyuu!! Nekoma jersey...

Dresden

blade dance -

Expected the worst, but this is pretty entertaining, so long as you know what you're getting into. You know, light novel harem jank.

kXA55sa.jpg

e: man, I post that and then it goes into the shitter.

mhs004

Shokugeki no soma 15-20

Loving this arc so far I read those five chapters straight with no break. The new characters are introduced are awesome and add to the story greatly and also don't feel like complete ass pulls. Seems like Soma's dad is pretty well known as that chef recognized Soma's family name. Lot better then the Shokugeki with Miss beef.

blade dance -

Expected the worst, but this is pretty entertaining, so long as you know what you're getting into. You know, light novel harem jank.

e: man, I post that and then it goes into the shitter.

The image is doing nothing but raising my interest in it.

Tonari no Seki kun

It's just so good. The only thing that makes me smile as much as Seki-kun is Yotsuba.

Sooooooooo guuuuuuuuuddddddddd

It's distilled happiness

Just caught up and I kinda wished I didn't :(

But yea had some "laugh out loud" moments and Yokoi is pretty great (really digging the relationship that's being formed here, even the misunderstandings).

Plus Seki showing all this emotion without saying a damn word is pretty fucking boss.

Cwarrior

Magi 167

Looks the war is about to go down and the kou empire are going to join in, I really like this Wizard country it's been pretty awesome so far.

Boo at that lame-o alibaba showing up again.

laiem empire = fake rome empire

kou empire = china

Magi 170

Wtf? why didn't they us the magic nukes in the first place then let some of there top magicians get hurt and wasted magi power/stamina?/oh next chapter explains it.

Hell yeah at finalis corp!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yotsuba is god-tier.

In many ways, the author can be said as "more genius" than the likes of Kishi, Oda, or Kubo. I mean, it's easy to create 'exciting' and 'gripping' scenes with dramatic fights, out-of-this-world scenes, giant stuff, power levels, etc etc, but the author of Yotsuba pulled it off with so many seemingly mundane things like cakes and candies and such.

That, my friends, is real genius and talent.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I love yotsuba, but what you're saying as genius is pretty much the entire slice of life genre.

Which I agree with.

I love yotsuba, but what you're saying as genius is pretty much the entire slice of life genre.

Which I agree with.

I think Yotsuba stands above other slice of life series in its ability to draw drama out of every day activities, where a lot of other series in that genre sort of aim to be mundane.

Antiwhippy

I think Yotsuba stands above other slice of life series in its ability to draw drama out of every day activities, where a lot of other series in that genre sort of aim to be mundane.

I agree that yotsuba is top class in that regard, but I dunno about the mundane part. To me slice of life is a genre based on showing the everyday mundane life with an extraordinary twist in order to generate drama/humour. So it's not really aiming to be mundane as much as it is to make the mundane seem extraordinary, if that makes any sense.

Yotsuba is the same way. It's really just a story about a lone man taking care of a orphan who most of the times acts like a a little brat aka an actual 5 year old, but the extraordinary part comes from showing how her brattiness can effect other lives around her, and if the writing and characterisation didn't do such a great job in giving that brattiness so much charm, Yotsuba would not have worked so well as a premise.

Though slice of life is so broad that sometimes it's also about just showing the everyday life in an extraordinary setting. For example otoyomonogatari and Yokohama Kaidashi Kiko. Yokohama in particular takes an extraordinary setting and makes it mundane, but in doing so it just focuses and explores on the beauty of everyday life.

Jintor

I love stuff that subverts expectations basically

taking a fantastical setting and making it mundane is great

taking a mundane setting and making it fantastic is also great

I mean, I like stuff that matches (fantastical story in a fantastical setting etc) but the contrast is a lot more appealing to me

Himizu 1

I'm not particularly fond of the heavily exaggerated ugly characters, or the constant screaming. It's incredibly melodramatic over basically nothing. There's hardly any hints as to where the story is going to go, and it's difficult to want to read more to find that out when I feel like a wall of noise is blasting at me from every page.

I love stuff that subverts expectations basically

taking a fantastical setting and making it mundane is great

taking a mundane setting and making it fantastic is also great

I mean, I like stuff that matches (fantastical story in a fantastical setting etc) but the contrast is a lot more appealing to me

You should read Jigokuren. It's just a typical slice of life romance... that takes place in hell!

I agree that yotsuba is top class in that regard, but I dunno about the mundane part. To me slice of life is a genre based on showing the everyday mundane life with an extraordinary twist in order to generate drama/humour. So it's not really aiming to be mundane as much as it is to make the mundane seem extraordinary, if that makes any sense.

Yotsuba is the same way. It's really just a story about a lone man taking care of a orphan who most of the times acts like a a little brat aka an actual 5 year old, but the extraordinary part comes from showing how her brattiness can effect other lives around her, and if the writing and characterisation didn't do such a great job in giving that brattiness so much charm, Yotsuba would not have worked so well as a premise.

Though slice of life is so broad that sometimes it's also about just showing the everyday life in an extraordinary setting. For example otoyomonogatari and Yokohama Kaidashi Kiko. Yokohama in particular takes an extraordinary setting and makes it mundane, but in doing so it just focuses and explores on the beauty of everyday life.

I think this is a good description of how a lot of slice-of-lifes operate, where it's more focused on the comfortable pleasures of routine life. Even a series with an absurd streak like Soredemo is at its core, I think, about the joy of predictable events--the same regulars showing up at the cafe, friends acting out the same basic interactions in a hundred different variations. Yotsuba is different because of how it is framed as being from Yotsuba's perspective as she discovers things she's never experienced before. I felt this most strongly when she traveled to Fuuka's school to deliver the milk; it was as if we the reader were also venturing into uncharted territory and expanding our conception of the world. That to me is the universally relatable drama of Yotsuba, the exhilaration and terror of being a child and constantly encountering new things.

Cwarrior

Magi 176 - 184 and half of chapter 185

Welp this arc has turned to utter poo so quickly, I can't even read this shit anymore :(

it's all a series of people popping showing there power levels followed by a series of explosions, beams slashes and all of it is pointless it isn't going anywhere and the enemys are now just faceless uninteresting blobs of ink with 0 tension, people going SSJ/bankai one after the other to achieve nothing but light shows, even dialogue as turned to blah.

It was at least entertaining when it was the wizards "characters" vs laim finalist squad but after 176 it went quickly down hill when they brought out some shitty villains like blobs of black ink and have the heros endlessly spam beams and slash at it.

I'm out.

Aizo

Banned
Late night horror manga reading while listening to Silent Hill OSTs in the dark creates a great atmosphere.

Screaming Lessons (Vol. 1)
I like the art, but as a self-proclaimed Horror manga aficianado, I think the art is a bit too cute to creep me out. I look forward to reading more.

Drifting Classroom (Vol. 4)
I can only think of Lord of the Flies.

Ibitsu (Vol. 1-2; End)
This is actually pretty disturbing. I've put off reading it for a couple of years because it didn't seem too great to me, but damn... so creepy. I'm going to have nice dreams tonight, I'm sure.
Reminds me of the dumpster in the prison in Resident Evil 4. That made me jump. That second image is really good. The atmosphere for this series is totally unsettling.

Akito

Baby Steps
The outcome is as expected but great efforts by Maruo, I would be shitting my pants if I were Nabae despite the win.

Oh someone is making crappy scanlations of Shoukoku no Altair since the group that does it is taking a lot of time.

I read it.

Shoukoku no Altair 31-33

Mamut with dat keikaku was awesome, it helped that Baraban was full of himself and an idiot. The tactics and tricks displayed in the battle were so good, thats how a war should be done.

Winning a 5600 vs 23000 battle is no small feat.

Shoukoku no Altair 34

Patricide, Matricide and Fratricide in this war damn.

Antiwhippy

I think this is a good description of how a lot of slice-of-lifes operate, where it's more focused on the comfortable pleasures of routine life. Even a series with an absurd streak like Soredemo is at its core, I think, about the joy of predictable events--the same regulars showing up at the cafe, friends acting out the same basic interactions in a hundred different variations. Yotsuba is different because of how it is framed as being from Yotsuba's perspective as she discovers things she's never experienced before. I felt this most strongly when she traveled to Fuuka's school to deliver the milk; it was as if we the reader were also venturing into uncharted territory and expanding our conception of the world. That to me is the universally relatable drama of Yotsuba, the exhilaration and terror of being a child and constantly encountering new things.

Hmm, I can see where you're coming from, but honestly that to me is still just Amano taking something fairly mundane like yotsuba looking for her friend after discovering the freedom of having a bike, and turning it into an extraordinary with fantastic writing.

Though I think I'm straying from my original point, which is that yotsuba is awesome, slice of life is awesome, and fuck shonen battle bullshit. :p

Centaur's Worries 15

0ZeVxLK.jpg

Serpentines are somewhat disturbing, mainly because, unlike the rest of the characters, they have animal faces instead of human faces. (And of course, a snake's face with its imposing fanged mouth is particularly disturbing.) At the same time, they still have a human body with arms and legs beneath that. So they really do end up looking like some monstrous concoction from an old science fiction B-movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom