• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

It did an exceedingly good (and presumably intentional) job of this in this chapter.
Not really, no. All it did so far was say "hey, Eva's still around, there's a Konoe kid, people know about magic, Negi's dead, space elevator's finished." None of which really answer anything.

By the way, it's kind of funny that the announcement of the series didn't mention Negima at all, just "ten years after magic is known to the public" and people had immediately figured out it would be a Negima sequel. Then the very first page hits you over the head with "I am Evangeline A.K. McDowell" just in case you didn't get it yet.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Sigh, alright. At least he seemed to have skipped the bullshit and went straight to action.

NEgima still holds a weird nostalgia place in my mind.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Not really, no. All it did so far was say "hey, Eva's still around, there's a Konoe kid, people know about magic, Negi's dead, space elevator's finished." None of which really answer anything.

By the way, it's kind of funny that the announcement of the series didn't mention Negima at all, just "ten years after magic is known to the public" and people had immediately figured out it would be a Negima sequel. Then the very first page hits you over the head with "I am Evangeline A.K. McDowell" just in case you didn't get it yet.

That's what I mean. It did an exceedingly good job of not telling you shit. :lol

Fuck I was out of the loop.

A new Negima! with
Negi
already dead!?!

Damn I want to read it but after the shit ending of the original I dunno. Then again it was because Kodansha was trying to exert total control or something.

I doubt said person is dead so I'm rather curious. Let me know if it gets really good ManGAF.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fuck I was out of the loop.

A new Negima! with
Negi
already dead!?!

Damn I want to read it but after the shit ending of the original I dunno. Then again it was because Kodansha was trying to exert total control or something.

I doubt said person is dead so I'm rather curious. Let me know if it gets really good ManGAF.

Touta is just going to be Negi himself after a fashion, e.g. reincarnation or something. Willing to put money on it.

Tacitus_

To Love Ru
I know you people probably read it only for the ass n titties, but this is actually pretty funny. I love Lalas antics and the expressions they cause.

Angry Grimace

It's only been one chapter guys, I'm sure there will be plenty of awkward fanservice junk to come.

If he was going to go fanservice wild, why wouldn't he have done it in the first chapter? I saw only one panel with Evangeline naked and Godiva Hair covering her boobs. That's not Akamatsu-esque.

I don't see how it can't be. Once Naruto or Bleach finish, both which have endings in their near future, there really isn't anything big enough in WSJ aside from Toriko.

You're making it sound like a hard and fast rule that there has to be a Big Trilogy and that something will necessarily take Naruto/Bleach's place. Is there any reason to believe series sales will be something other than what it would be now if you just removed Bleach and Naruto?

Big One

Banned
You're making it sound like a hard and fast rule that there has to be a Big Trilogy and that something will necessarily take Naruto/Bleach's place. Is there any reason to believe series sales will be something other than what it would be now if you just removed Bleach and Naruto?
Yes. Matter of fact I'd argue the sales for all WSJ series will increase. People buy WSJ for all the manga most of the time so new favorites will be made and people will want to shill out money for what they could've shilled out for more volumes of Naruto and Bleach. The lack of Naruto and Bleach gives more opportunities for manga like Toriko to purchased, plus the manga getting better itself and getting more popular progressively will cement it as a solid second place in WSJ after Naruto and Bleach leave. The only thing holding Toriko back right now is Western exposure.

Angry Grimace

Yes. Matter of fact I'd argue the sales for all WSJ series will increase. People buy WSJ for all the manga most of the time so new favorites will be made and people will want to shill out money for what they could've shilled out for more volumes of Naruto and Bleach. The lack of Naruto and Bleach gives more opportunities for manga like Toriko to purchased, plus the manga getting better itself and getting more popular progressively will cement it as a solid second place in WSJ after Naruto and Bleach leave. The only thing holding Toriko back right now is Western exposure.

I think you're underestimating how much of Naruto and Bleach's sales are people who aren't in WSJ's demographic at all, but continue to buy them. I don't think Toriko's sales number support that last theory either. Its a mid-tier series with no signs of ever graduating to top-tier.

I think you're underestimating how much of Naruto and Bleach's sales are people who aren't in WSJ's demographic at all, but continue to buy them. I don't think Toriko's sales number support that last theory either. Its a mid-tier series with no signs of ever graduating to top-tier.

Cold hard truth. Which isn't saying thats its a bad series. But it won't break into international appeal nor reach past Bleach numbers which are the lowest of the big 3.

Only Ass class and that Basket Ball Yaoi bait pulls near or over Bleach numbers but those 2 are even less likely to reach international appeal.

Angry Grimace

Cold hard truth. Which isn't saying thats its a bad series. But it won't break into international appeal nor reach past Bleach numbers which are the lowest of the big 3.

Only Ass class and that Basket Ball Yaoi bait pulls near or over Bleach numbers but those 2 are even less likely to reach international appeal.

The only series that's really broken into that upper tier recently is Shingeki no Kyojin and almost all of us in this thread knew that it was an anime away from being a top-level seller.

Akito

Nisekoi
Anyone else excited for a amnesia arc? No one?

Ketchup Ninja
I liked this series more when it was still a lighthearted action romcom thingy.

most dipping sauces have me going kinda

xVTppeC.jpg

7Th

This thread sucks, too much disgusting patriarchy manga with male protagonists. Why can't you all be more like wonzo, firehawk12 and Lain.

Jump podcast made me laugh, mainly just because of the way they read the questions, nonsubscriber claiming the translation from viz is just plain awful cause of no use of nakama, and the typical zolo complaint. Would anyone really rebuy a perfect edition of One Piece just for that?
tumblr_ms5xwsDRp01qbxqfpo1_500.png

Jaco the Galactic Patrolman 6
tumblr_ms5ypb0iM01qbxqfpo1_400.png

Hilarious whenever he the mask man does that. Tights is an odd name for a female character. I wonder how everyone will tie in the the rocket launch (which unfortunately is seemingly going to be quite close the manga end :( )

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ketchup Ninja 23

Ketchup on Hot Dogs? Disgusting.
I live in Illinois, and that's all kinds of illegal.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Jump podcast made me laugh, mainly just because of the way they read the questions, nonsubscriber claiming the translation from viz is just plain awful cause of no use of nakama, and the typical zolo complaint. Would anyone really rebuy a perfect edition of One Piece just for that?
tumblr_ms5xwsDRp01qbxqfpo1_500.png

Anyone who still uses "nakama" is a fucking idiot. It's not a super-special awesome word like Kaizoku Fansubs claims. The truth is that they were lazy and didn't want to translate "Nami, ore wa nakama da" into something that made sense in English.
Viz went with "You're one of us" or something (been years since I read it) and Funimation went with "You'll always be my friend".
Either way, anyone that still uses it needs to grow up.

But I would buy ultimate editions if they got rid of "Zolo". It's the sad and irritating reminder that the 4Kids dub was a thing and influenced Viz (Nami's home village became Coco Village instead of Cocoyashi Village. Loguetown became Roguetown, completely ignoring the "Prologue and Epilogue" connections). Granted, their translations still make dumb decisions (Duh, we didn't want to use Dwarves because everyone associates them with Tolkien, duh),

One Punch Man 24 (Deep sea king)
tumblr_ms5zxlivwY1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Finally the arc got good again, Stinger may be done but thankfully Speed of Sound Sonic showed up to bring this arc into epic tier. So many good moments for him even. I hope the writing doesnt go back to the usual and somehow has him be defeated or something and Saitama have to show up, Sonic deserves some win.

Also pretty funny that someone in the manga also has same tastes in characters, relatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom