• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I did. This is a first for me but really, enough is enough. Having an opinion and that is two different things.

I don't think B-Dubs and Phoenician were serious at all in their jabbing at one another.

Why so serious, dude?

Seitokai Tantei Kirika 00-05

231XMQrl.jpg

Overshadowed guy joins the student council where he meets the treasurer/detective who's only concern is money.

A very interesting read. Pretty much like a mystery series that's focused around problems with money. It definitely feels darker than it lets on with all these things that happen behind the scene and the dialogue has this whole layer of there's more than meets the eye.

The main character has that somewhat sarcastic quality I'm liking these days and the art is pretty enough to look at. Will keep reading.

The head is waaaaay bigger than it has any right to.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't think B-Dubs and Phoenician were serious at all in their jabbing at one another.

Why so serious, dude?

The head is waaaaay bigger than it has any right to.

Honestly I was being sort of legit. I just got sick of people saying "series X" is character driven when it isn't. It was more directed at everyone in general though, not just Beam. If you can alter the personality of a character (leaving motivations and all else intact) and the story doesn't significantly change then it's not character driven. Nothing a majority of us read in here, minus Yotsuba, most shoujo and Seki-kun, is character driven. Bleach, Naruto part 2, One Piece, HxH, FMA, Beel, TWGOK, Berserk and whatever else I'm forgetting is plot driven. People misusing these terms just got on my nerves too much and it popped.

Aizo

Banned
I stopped hating on Bleach.

Can't we all just get along?

Discussion is one thing, but when someone who obviously hates One Piece or obviously hates Bleach complains every single week... it just gets tiring to read.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yoshiyuki Sadamoto is fantastic, in my opinion. One of the few that I really dug the style.

That InfiniteNine's avatar is legendary for a reason, you know.

I wish someone had asked KAITO why her lips are so huge. (Seki and wakamoto there, best!)

Mikumo for world trigger and Soul Cathers great character art for the two best non naruto covers there. I hope we get a soul catchers artbook someday.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
This is the final one.
;_;

Hmm, I'm clueless on the time schedules for jump tank releases, but I would have thought that it would be out way sooner.

Also man, the soul catchers cover kinda makes me want to read it. Mermaids and dinosaurs?

Saxophones are a real put off though.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
History's greatest disciple kenichi

Fuck. Yes.

This is going to be good.

Finally a master fight after the bullshit that was the carnival arc, and they're doing everyone all at once? Hell yeah.

Akito

Genshiken 89
iufs3PQGTIwR1.jpg

Holy shit, Kuchiki is MVP, never saw this day coming, him hugging Madarame almost ruined my keyboard. This was a pretty amazing chapter, plenty of progress on various front. I don't see Madarame hooking up with someone anytime soon but I'm glad that the plotline wasn't just there for the gags.

Gintamen

Fairy Tail 349

Pantyless Erza is best Erza <3
Kuroko 227

This time it really should be the last flashback chapter.
While I don't read the series, some kind of betrayal has cought my eyes. Was that happening in the past before chapter 1 or is it in the current time?

dramatis

Jump tank covers for this month

Dat meat
Good stuff, thanks. I've been camping the volume covers thread for days. It kind of bothers me that Nikumi seems kind of 'more white' than she is in the manga shading.

The Soul Catchers cover is almost an abomination. World Trigger doesn't have an interesting art style, but the coloring does make it look different from everything else.

Fairy Tail

I really liked this chapter. Well done Gray. Gray vs. another demon, i wonder if he will use his ultimate magic and freeze Doriate, on the expense of his life. I know he won´t die but he might try it.

Soul Catcher(s) is amazing. It just needs to keep staying afloat in Jump and it will explode in popularity soon. Most unique concept of a Shueisha published title in the last tenyears.

Gintamen

I know some of you guys are reading the manga for this.

They finally published a trailer for the Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai live-action movie:

http://eiga.com/movie/79004/video/ (click on the left button in the player to start the video)
Non-blond Miku, no loli sis to fight Maria, what is this supposed to be? :'(

Phoenician_Viking
Your reply to MrSaturn99 just shows how little you understand of OP. It's your fault for missing plot lines and themes.

Huge opportunity missed on that Nisekoi cover for the batter/frosting to be white
That's Yabuki's forte.

Phoenician_Viking
Your reply to MrSaturn99 just shows how little you understand of OP. It's your fault for missing plot lines and themes.

Nope, i understand one piece very well and i did not miss anything. It´s a matter of fact that one piece is disjointed because not all arcs do not connect to each other. I did not miss any themes, i just think most of them suck, and not well done. Adventure for adventure´s sake is boring, and not good writing. Every arc should have given Luffy more info about DF, lost/void century, etc.... But no, some arcs don´t have any useful info about the main plot point.

To expand of how one piece theme suck. Oda used Sanji´s gag nose bleed to highlight very important issue that is racism. Using a gag to highlight the issue robs the issue of its importance and make the whole thing looks like a joke.

Fairy Tail

Gray is a good strategist, and his fight are more fun than other FT members.

Gintamen

Nope, i understand one piece very well and i did not miss anything. It´s a matter of fact that one piece is disjointed because not all arcs do not connect to each other. I did not miss any themes, i just think most of them suck, and not well done. Adventure for adventure´s sake is boring, and not good writing. Every arc should have given Luffy more info about DF, lost century, etc.... But no, some arcs don´t have any useful info about the main plot point.

Yo expand of how one piece theme suck. Oda used Sanji´s gag nose bleed to highlight very important issue that is racism. Using a gag to highlight the issue robs the issue of its importance and make the whole thing looks like a joke.
Because it would make zero sense for every arc and island to have information about the Void Century. Just think about it, take the bias out of your mind and think what you just wished for. What a bad story teller Oda would be if every arc contained information when it's the WG's mission for 800 years to destroy and hide all knowledge concerning the VC.

Luffy's story is a bad one because he wants to explore the world? It has all of Jumps golden motto: friendship, effort, victory, does it not? And if you haven't read chapter 1 of OP yet, it's about his dream to become Pirate King, the best swordsman, the first map of the whole world, finding a panacea, creating the best ship(means of transportation in this world), find the truth about the past, finding the all blue, become a true warrior.

You say it's taking away from it's importance, but that's you subjective opinion and not a fact. Yeah it[the nosebleed] got annoying after a bit, but the fact remains that we learned about the racial issue through this action and don't forget that it was like paradise for Sanji, after he had to run from transvestites who would like to have a bite of him for nearly two whole years.

"To expand"... if you would stop picking on the Sanji nosebleed and Shirahoshi issue[which is obviously a thing of the past], maybe than I could take you opinion serious, but it's showing that you have not much else to hate on aside from calling each arc sappy. Sappy as in touching or as in dumb and silly? Maybe that's why you ignored my other reply. You also mentioned that nothing is connected and old characters don't reappear, but did you somehow miss the 48 issues within 7 tankobons spanning cover story "From the Decks of the World"?

Oda has developed more characters and plots within his cover stories than Kubo in the whole manga. There I said it.

P.S.: I love to read Bleach every single week it's released in WSJ. :p

Cwarrior

I don't understand why people love to compare one piece,naruto and bleach, all three manga's are different from each other with different goals.One piece is about a bizarre bunch of characters from all parts of the sea/world coming together to go on a grand epic adventure in a rich fantasy dream like world, Naruto as the name implies is about an outcast misfit kid's story in which he strives to gain the people in his villages respect/recognition(all those fist bump symbolizing respect and understanding lately),Bleach is about a moody 15 year old yanky look alike kid ichigo with a heart of gold whose thrusted in a dangers world of soul reapers which he wants nothing to do with but must continue to protect his friends.

One piece -grand adventure where the world takes the main focus

Naruto - a story where the main character naruto takes the main focus and his goal to earn the recognition of others.

Bleach - rule of cool superhero like goal where the characters strive to protect the unknowing civilians similar to the later part of dragon ball.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
We are in a thread about manga.

There's plenty of people who like to convince themselves that anything labeled seinen has none of the things that are bad about shonen even though in reality much the seinen people read around here just ratchets up the violence, sex or even more significantly non-sensical weirdness.

There's plenty of people who like to convince themselves that anything labeled seinen has none of the things that are bad about shonen even though in reality most seinen just ratchets up the violence, sex or even more significantly non-sensical weirdness.
And that´s the honest truth. Well said.

Because it would make zero sense for every arc and island to have information about the Void Century. Just think about it, take the bias out of your mind and think what you just wished for. What a bad story teller Oda would be if every arc contained information when it's the WG's mission for 800 years to destroy and hide all knowledge concerning the VC.

Not it does not make sense to just have adventure without that adventure leading somewhere, and having a larger purpose. Take Magi for instance. It´s an adventure manga done right. Every single arc connects to a larger piece of a giant puzzle. While one piece there are pieces of the puzzle that does not belong to the same puzzle, that one is trying to make. It´s not bias that the story is disjointed. It´s already in the manga. No, it´s good writing if Oda revealed a bit of one piece secrets in every arc that make the whole thing connect instead of just having useless arcs that contributes almost nothing to the story.

Luffy's story is a bad one because he wants to explore the world? It has all of Jumps golden motto: friendship, effort, victory, does it not? And if you haven't read chapter 1 of OP yet, it's about his dream to become Pirate King, the best swordsman, the first map of the whole world, finding a panacea, creating the best ship(means of transportation in this world), find the truth about the past, finding the all blue, become a true warrior.

Luffy is a cut board one dimensional character. He wants to explore the world, yet all his experience does not make him grow, and develop as a character. Having dreams and following these dreams is fine, but don´t tell me that people don´t change their dreams to accommodate the circumstances that they meet and develop new dreams. Having the same naive view and being naive after everything that happened to Luffy is what makes it bad writing. You can say i am biased as much as you want, but that does not negate what i said and what´s written in the manga.

Are your dreams from when where 5 years old, was the same as when you were 12 year old, are same as off today?

People change, their views change, depending on the circumstances and the experience that people go through.

You say it's taking away from it's importance, but that's you subjective opinion and not a fact. Yeah it[the nosebleed] got annoying after a bit, but the fact remains that we learned about the racial issue through this action and don't forget that it was like paradise for Sanji, after he had to run from transvestites who would like to have a bite of him for nearly two whole years.

It´s not my own subjective opinion. Making a gag out of something important as racism remove the importance of the subject. Yeah, justify Sanji´s nose bleed with that sorry excuse. It´s not like it never happened before, and the joke is not funny anymore after a while.

"To expand"... if you would stop picking on the Sanji nosebleed and Shirahoshi issue[which is obviously a thing of the past], maybe than I could take you opinion serious, but it's showing that you have not much else to hate on aside from calling each arc sappy. Sappy as in touching or as in dumb and silly? Maybe that's why you ignored my other reply. You also mentioned that nothing is connected and old characters don't reappear, but did you somehow miss the 48 issues within 7 tankobons spanning cover story "From the Decks of the World"?

Can you prove to me that Shirohishi´s issue is part of the past? No? Ok then. Dismissing my opinion because of your own bias does not negate the facts that presented by the manga that i am describing, and not some fan fiction about Shirohishi being useful and very powerful without actually showing it. And of course Hodi and other were such crap and boring villains, that made the whole arc much much worse.

Oda has developed more characters and plots within his cover stories than Kubo in the whole manga. There I said it.

Lol

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
There's plenty of people who like to convince themselves that anything labeled seinen has none of the things that are bad about shonen even though in reality much the seinen people read around here just ratchets up the violence, sex or even more significantly non-sensical weirdness.

Gantz is worse than most series in WSJ.
Being a different demographic doesn't make it better written.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom