• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.
The worst part about Berserk's schedule is that I'm probably never going to get to see Guts turn Griffith into a hat and wear him whenever he does his gardening.

wonzo

Banned
Where did I say that he wasn't a scumbag or that he needn't be one?

Did I say anywhere that what he did was redeemable in any way?
Also if anything that would make that much more human and real, let's not kid ourselves normal people can be monsters, that's actually way more realistic that way.

Why does he need to? Why should he even care what he discarded would even think? I mean if his sole goal is getting his own country, it doesn't mean it's getting his own country and get the approval of everyone he knows either.
I never said he was a poorly written character, just a tremendous piece of shit that no one should shred an ounce of Empathy for after the Eclipse.

I thought he was waiting for ganishka to transform and took advantage of skull knight's behelit sword in order to create that process?

I mean, let's not forget that he is in cahoots with the Idea of Evil, whose sole purpose of existence was to manipulate and control destiny in order to fuck humanity up.

He took advantage of something he couldn't control, or do you think Griffith somehow manipulated the Skull Knight into forging the behelit sword?

Wiseblade

I never said he was a poorly written character, just a tremendous piece of shit that no one should shred an ounce of Empathy for after the Eclipse.

This. Griffth is a well written character, and I will do a little dance when Guts (eventually) skins him alive.

Fairy Tail

DTL will probably hate you forever but PLEASE ULTEAR KILL ROUGE! While you are at it, kill Sting as well. I would love to see what happens if Mashima actually kills off a (not yet) villain.

Future Lucy seems to be the first victim in a while since Zancrow and Asuma.

Fairy Tail 333
tumblr_mnnxj36g1h1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Easily the best panel capturing one of his many best poses. I hope Ultear doesnt make a mistake that she will definitely regret, if Jellal can come in and convince her against it or something.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
He took advantage of something he couldn't control, or do you think Griffith somehow manipulated the Skull Knight into forging the behelit sword?

I thought it was the implication. I mean, the god hands are just agents for the idea of evil. So their job is to literally manipulate fate.

survivor

Banned
I'm pretty sure I made that up.
wonzo was actually the first person in the thread to call it Food Smut.

Living Game vol. 1

Tokiko is the best character.

I like the humour a lot but I am surprised how conscious everybody is about Rai living with Izumi without causing a Nisekoi-style embarrassment cascade. Everybody just jumps off-panel and shows their legs. Different times~

And I feel I should be definitely creeped out by the fact that this is slowly working towards a romance with a minor but... it's so tame? I don't know, manga might have damaged me into thinking that everything is okay as long as it isn't fanservicey.
You are a lost cause man. All this smut ruined you. Also, this isn't heading towards a Usagi Drop level of disaster. I mean I'd imagine a lot of people won't like the romance, but I think the manga managed to handle it adequately.

Soredemo 35-42

Takeru must've got all of Hotori's brains or something as he's one sharp little kid. Well, I guess Hotori did end up with her insanely inconsistent memorization skills and her equally impressive deductive reasoning skills (the gambler paintings) as compensation so it all kinda works out!

I really liked the Elementary School chapter with all the flashbacks as it did a really great job of demonstrating how Hotori's grown over the years, even if she's just as quirky as ever. I still don't really get that pretty crazy dream chapter (inception?!?!?) even after flicking through it a few times but I really appreciated some of the more fantastical and supernatural elements scattered throughout this series. It helps keep things nice and fresh thanks to the added whimsy and variety it brings.

I really like how the dream chapter didn't make it so obvious that she was dreaming at first and didn't make any visuals to distinguish when she was dreaming.

wonzo

Banned
I thought it was the implication. I mean, the god hands are just agents for the idea of evil. So their job is to literally manipulate fate.
I thought the Skull Knight was outside of their control. Of course, I guess that wouldn't stop them from manipulating what just happened to their advantage either&#8230;

Shit, maybe that "banned" chapter explains this.

Damn straight! Actually, it was haly not long after I lit the smutsignal!

I really like how the dream chapter didn't make it so obvious that she was dreaming at first and didn't make any visuals to distinguish when she was dreaming.
Yeah, it was really clever.

Antiwhippy

You'd think someone like the Skull Knight would be a little bit above their shenanigans.

I've always read skull knight's character as similar to guts, in that in the past, like guts, he's trying to break the destiny set by the god hands, but skull knight shows what happens when you fail. He keeps trying though.

Naruto

Man, Kishi was going hard for nostalgia with this one. It's funny how everyone wants to be hokage, while the resurrected old ones are still the best ninja on the battlefield.

Mael

You are just relisting why we hate him. :p

I'm not saying he has poor character justification, I'm saying that his character justification makes him a scumbag who is very easy to hate. Which I thought was the entire point of his arc during the golden age.

Well yeah, I'm just saying I don't hate him for that.
I guess I fail to see how he's more of a scumbag than most

I think that's the only part we disagree here.

I thought the Skull Knight was outside of their control. Of course, I guess that wouldn't stop them from manipulating what just happened to their advantage either…

Shit, maybe that "banned" chapter explains this.

I don't think he's outside their manipulation - He gave the analogy, they're all caught up in stream of causality - sometimes a fish is strong (lucky?) enough to leap from the river temporarily like Guts/Caska surving the eclipse.

Antiwhippy

What nevermind? Is there official English version of sore demo around? There were none at KINOKUNIYA today.

It's licensed by JManga, a digital manga store. Which closed down this year, while stripping every bought manga from its users, though they did refund them. Now it's officially in digital limbo.

Read from that what you will.

wonzo

Banned
I thought for sure she was going to jump off the roof at the end.
I figured she was gonna get threatened with getting pushed off if she didn't comply but sometimes rapists just want their victims to get a nice view!

I don't think he's outside their manipulation - He gave the analogy, they're all caught up in stream of causality - sometimes a fish is strong (lucky?) enough to leap from the river temporarily like Guts/Caska surving the eclipse.
Ahh, that makes sense.

Dynedom

Characters like Griffith in manga show this really weird side to characters in Japanese fiction that I really can't seem to get. You have guys like Griffith, Kensei in Kenichi and the 1000-Man Killer from Gamaran.

It's okay to not hate these guys because they are aiming for "perfection" or their "ideal world". I'm sure when things are all said and done, there will be this touching exchange between the hero and villain as the villain dies or is defeated and we're supposed to either forgive or absolve them of some of their guilt.

Bullshit.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

You are a lost cause man. All this smut ruined you. Also, this isn't heading towards a Usagi Drop level of disaster. I mean I'd imagine a lot of people won't like the romance, but I think the manga managed to handle it adequately.

You can prove that you know.

Mael

Characters like Griffith in manga show this really weird side to characters in Japanese fiction that I really can't seem to get. You have guys like Griffith, Kensei in Kenichi and the 1000-Man Killer from Gamaran.

It's okay to not hate these guys because they are aiming for "perfection" or their "ideal world". I'm sure when things are all said and done, there will be this touching exchange between the hero and villain as the villain dies or is defeated and we're supposed to either forgive or absolve them of some of their guilt.

Bullshit.

Wut? Granted I've read none of your examples but Berserk but I don't see that happening, any other more relevant example that I would get?

Dynedom

Wut? Granted I've read none of your examples but Berserk but I don't see that happening, any other more relevant example that I would get?

I don't think you'll see it Berserk. Well, I hope not. I'm trying to think of other manga possibilities.

I think Blade of the Immortal comes to mind. It's not that they forgive in so much that there is some sort of respect and unspoken admiration that turns my stomach.

I will never defend that confession. Period. Now if she had simply told him to not look for Sasuke anymore and didn't falsely say she loved him, then there would be no problem.

But still, though, she's a fictional character, you guys have better things to hate. Dislike? Fuck ever. But actual GENUINE hate? Good lord. Calm your tits.

It's ridiculous. Take shit like this in stride.

Pretty much all she needed to do but didn't lol. Would have painted her better as not really believing in the cause anymore and it was time to move on (which would be understandable given the horseshit he was doing). But when the fucking MC who is known to be a dumbass and even worse in relationship queues (plus added stupidity for being a shounen protagonist) basically tells her that's the stupidest shit he has ever heard coming from her mouth and she should stop it, then that whole thing was a problem.

Plus what's with the "its not real" handwave horseshit? Cmon Son people can express as much emotion as they want to (even if some might go what could be seen as overboard).

As for the Griffith thing what he did was fucked up but what's making it really interesting is the story making look like it was justified since he pretty much holds most of the cards now since the incident and Gutts chances look like 1% at most aka has jack fucking shit in this fight :p .

Hell some fans here people are already under the influence of him being "justified" and starting to believe it. Should be interesting to see the final outcome (whenever that is lol)

Mael

I don't think you'll see it Berserk. Well, I hope not. I'm trying to think of other manga possibilities.

I think Blade of the Immortal comes to mind. It's not that they forgive in so much that there is some sort of respect and unspoken admiration that turns my stomach.

I haven't finished that either :lol
but I see what you mean.
I don't think there's anything wrong in that anyway.
I'll use the only place where we find this kinds of scumbags : politics.
Even if you disagree with what a successful politician do or say if they're THAT successful (and I mean like George Bush or Nicolas Sarkozy, not losers like Romney or that french cyclop) they must be doing something right in that way a little respect is warranted as it means you're watching them more closely and not entirely dismissing them without reasons which makes you look foolish and hateful.
I don't know if I came across right...

Dynedom

I haven't finished that either :lol
but I see what you mean.
I don't think there's anything wrong in that anyway.
I'll use the only place where we find this kinds of scumbags : politics.
Even if you disagree with what a successful politician do or say if they're THAT successful (and I mean like George Bush or Nicolas Sarkozy, not losers like Romney or that french cyclop) they must be doing something right in that way a little respect is warranted as it means you're watching them more closely and not entirely dismissing them without reasons which makes you look foolish and hateful.
I don't know if I came across right...

Who says I forgive politicians? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom