• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Don't Forget, You're Here Forever.

miserable

spoiler for tonight friends:

deanohaqi2.gif

it's nice to want things

Menome

How I started my Saturday morning, by Menome, age 28-and-three-quarters:

"OHMYGODOHMYGODI'MAWAKEQUICKCHECKTWITTERHASSANDOWRETIRED,THERE'SNOTHINGONTWITTERQUICKCHECKWRASSLEGAFOHNOGAFISDOWNGAFCAN'TBEDOWNNOTNOWOHGOODGAFISBACKUPCHECKTHETHREADQUICKLY...oh, there's no news yet. Guess I'll have breakfast."

The End.

GunBR

Still hoping for a fatal four way at Mania for the title

I'm fooling myself, but Roman vs Trips looks so boring. I need to believe that something will change

WWE star Kane recently spoke with TheWhig.com and below are some interview highlights:

If WrestleMania 32 will be his last:

“Who knows, man. I’m still having a good time and I think I’m still performing at a pretty high level as well, so as long as I can do that, and I’m good, then I’ll hang around.”

Kane
Is here to stay 😁😁😁😁
Kane will main event some pay per view in 2017

I've been plowing through Lucha Underground and just finished Aztec Warfare. Overall, I'm really digging this promotion. It feels fresh, and packs in plenty of content into one hour of television. To break it down by category:

The Wrestling: My only real exposure to watching Lucha Libre is from being a huge WCW fan when I was a child. Of course I have familiarity with certain Luchadores since then, such as Mysterio and Mistico, but modern Lucha Libre is a new game for me. It is fast, frantic, and fun. There are times where I think that match psychology gets thrown out the window and it becomes a glorified spotfest. Sometimes, it can be enjoyable, other times I kind of just roll my eyes at it. Some wrestler's are more guilty of this than others, but for the most part the matches are an overall success. It's refreshing to see some wrestling that incorporates more moves than the standard bodyslam/headlock fare that the WWE has become guilty of. I do have issues where some wrestlers use moves as if they are a CAW from a game. I might be going into Stone Cold territory here, but some moves need to be protected. For instance, an F5 shouldn't be used as a regular move with no real impact. Just because you can spam every finishing move in the history of wrestling doesn't mean you should. There has also been plenty of times where the match flow will come to a halt and stand like an idiot as their opponent prepares to do their move. An example is from a triple threat with Pentagon, Drago, and Fenix. Pentagon and Drago were fighting outside of the ring, but stopped to walk over to Dario's office so they could catch Fenix. It's a cool spot, but getting there could have gone much smoother.

Presentation: I'm loving the gritty atmosphere brought on by the production. The LU temple has a great look, it's something that I wouldn't find out of place in a comic book. Despite being a well polished production, everything appears dirty even down to the ring. It contributes to the Underground aspect and helps in the illusion that you're not watching a typlcal wrestling program. I've read that the backstage snippets are reminiscent of Spanish Soap Opera's. I really have no knowledge of that, but I like the approach that is taken to film these snippet's like a tv show. Of course some of the wrestler's aren't that good at acting, and there may have been a couple segments too much of Dario and Konnan nodding at each other, but it's a fresh perspective on an aspect of wrestling that's been around for decades.

Character Work: Nine episodes in and I'm really appreciating the amount of work that is going in to build these characters. Despite many of them having similar appearances, there are distinct personalities displayed. You'll get a few duds here and there, but the main performers are doing a good job at standing out. Special mention goes to Dario Cueto, he plays the standard "asshole boss" character, but he brings a lot to the program.

Commentary: I like it, but sometimes I'm a little mixed on the Striker/Vampiro combo. I appreciate that Striker has this vast knowledge on wrestling history, but sometimes he goes a little overboard with his references. It's nice to have these callbacks, but he averages about one a minute. I also have issues with how he calls of the moves from the performers. Why does a sitdown powerbomb have to be called a bubbabomb? Moves have been copied and stolen for years now, so why not give the wrestlers a little more personality and quit attributing their moves to other wrestlers? As for Vampiro, I find him a little dull at times, but hopefully I'll warm up to them. Lucha Underground could do a lot worse than Striker/Vampiro, just look at the WWE.

To wrap it up, I'm very much enjoying myself with Lucha Underground. I feel as if the program is really starting to find itself, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

Bonus Fav Five:

5. Sexy Star - Aside from some headscissor's/arm drag's I don't know much of her ring work yet. I might be in love though, especially after her Ms. Marvel costume. I bet she won't be here next time I do a fav five, but we'll see.
4. Johnny Mundo - John Morrison has always been solid. He's done good so far in LU.
3. Drago - Incredible look. I flipped out the first time I saw him use his crucifix/trap pin.
2. King Cuerno - He uses his moves to build his character. His suicide dive is insane, and he brings a good level of intensity to his matches.
1. Prince Puma - This guy is the real f'n deal. He has a lot of high risk spots, but he also knows how to use a match to tell a story. Even if that match is under ten minutes long.

The Potential is there Five:

5. Chavo Guerrero - He is trying his damndest to have an actual personality, we'll see if he can escape the shadow of his family name. I liked him going absolute HAM with the chairs.
4. Mil Muertes - He should be the Brock Lesnar of LU, a monster that plows through everyone. It's still early though, but his in ring work has been lacking.
3. Fenix - He does some crazy shit, but that's all I see in him. I've yet to feel engaged by any of his matches outside of "hey, go jump off of that." I also don't like the spot where he cartwheel bounces off the ropes to do a cutter to the opponent behind him. It doesn't look natural.
2. Big Rick - I believe that's Ezekiel Jackson isn't it. He's being a fairly solid "big guy", but I think he can do more.
1. Pentagon Jr. - He's the reason I decided to start watching, but he hasn't been given much to work with yet aside from some tag matches.

Special Mention Category:

1. Pimpinella Escarlata - I don't know much about Exotico, but that's the funniest damn entrance ever seen. Very entertaining character.

TL;DR - Lucha Underground is cool.

Son Of D

WWE star Kane recently spoke with TheWhig.com and below are some interview highlights:

“Who knows, man. I’m still having a good time and I think I’m still performing at a pretty high level as well, so as long as I can do that, and I’m good, then I’ll hang around.”

Kane
Is here to stay 😁😁😁😁
Can't wait for the Roman/Kane feud in Night of Champions.

Kane
Is here to stay 😁😁😁😁

fpR0IOQ.gif

Kane events to stretch through 2016, Reigns vs Kane for the title at Extreme Rules will be ace.

I've been plowing through Lucha Underground and just finished Aztec Warfare. Overall, I'm really digging this promotion. It feels fresh, and packs in plenty of content into one hour of television. To break it down by category:

TL;DR - Lucha Underground is cool.

I share a lot of the same feelings you do with LU. The reason I find myself keep coming back to it though is because it's 1 hour. Not 3 - 6 hours plus a PPV. So it's easy to deal with the bad moments.

For me it's all about Mil, Pentagon, Puma, Killshot, Son of Havoc, and Ivelisse. Sexy Star is growing on me a bit through the second season.

Vampiro can be annoying as hell at times, but what makes him work is his enthusiasm throughout the matches. It can feel a bit canned or forced, but I think he is genuinely excited over the product in front of him. Contrast that with Cole / JBL where things just feel like they're going through the motions.

"There has been a comment made on the Wrestling Classics forum by Dave Meltzer which states that the full Montreal story still hasn't been revealed and won't be until a certain person responsible for the 'sharpshooter spot' in the match passes away".

Is this possibly Patterson due to the fact that he choreographed the finishes? Or someone else like Hunter or Shawn?

Watching the event again as an adult it's weird. Tge entire event is eerie.

At the beginning JR says that Vince is doing some business.

Then they show Vince backstage and ask who's going to win.

Then JR comments about you never seeing these two in the ring again.

There's so much in this ppv that is fishy.

Of course I wish that Owen never died for his family and his life. But I wish we knew how he felt after the screwjob, where his head was at. Because if you look at his demeanour, you can tell he wasn't there. I remember reading from that Owen was just trucking along because he knew that he would be done after this contract. He wanted out but Bret told him to stay because he needs to feed his family even though there's no telling what Vince would do to him.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The Miz deserves better than what he's getting. He's talented, easily one of the best on the mic today and charasmatic as fuck. WWE has treated him like shit. Yeah he go the Mania man event at one of the worst Manias. Then what? He never got a second title reign even though he totally deserved it. He never got back to the main event or even close. It's a travesty. He's a great heel, fantastic at putting over faces and he should still be a main part of the show. He's barely on Raw anymore and probably wont have a match at Mania. A huge Miztake for WWE. The guy could have and should have been a star for years. He really is awesome and more people should appreciate that.

Jamie OD

Shit news over in Germany for the wXw 16 Carat shows. Overnight their stage and recording setup were both thrashed and a bunch of laptops with everything recorded so far were stolen. This hasn't happened to them before so I've no idea if it was a targeted attack or just the wrong people found the place at the worst time.

The Miz deserves better than what he's getting. He's talented, easily one of the best on the mic today and charasmatic as fuck. WWE has treated him like shit. Yeah he go the Mania man event at one of the worst Manias. Then what? He never got a second title reign even though he totally deserved it. He never got back to the main event or even close. It's a travesty. He's a great heel, fantastic at putting over faces and he should still be a main part of the show. He's barely on Raw anymore and probably wont have a match at Mania. A huge Miztake for WWE. The guy could have and should have been a star for years. He really is awesome and more people should appreciate that.

Let this marinate, Miz is still the most over heel in the company. Everytime be goes out there, it shows. Hunter was a fucking asshole for not shaking his hand when he earned his position. He didn't ride coattails and kiss ass. Those guys in NXT will never be on the level of Miz. All of his handpicked boys like the guy they're trying to make who's not been on tv in almost 3 weeks will never be like The Miz.Miz is probably the last great guy they built perfectly and they're fools to not use him the correct way.

lIIfWj6.gif

Farooq treating NoD members like he's their father.

"Get your ass up here. And you get your big ass up here. Give me a salute."

Sounds like what my mom did to me

Zach

This event really overachieved. The biker rally theme. Steve McMichael vs. Brian Adams. Jay Leno and Eric Bischoff in the main event. It had all the makings for an F. But look at that sweet, sweet D.

Congratulations to all involved!

Zach

It's kind of enjoyable just not knowing what to expect. '98 wrasslin' is very inconsistent. It goes from "wow, that was great" to "oh my god, what am I doing with my life?" frequently. Like, segment to segment.

@FightOwensFight
Atlantic City tonight!
KO vs AJ Styles, 30 min. Iron Man match for MY #ICTitle…Plenty of time to beat him up and make fun of his hair! @WWE

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

This event really overachieved. The biker rally theme. Steve McMichael vs. Brian Adams. Jay Leno and Eric Bischoff in the main event. It had all the makings for an F. But look at that sweet, sweet D.

Congratulations to all involved!

1998 was such a shitty fucking year for everyone except WCW, even though they had spots of goodness in there, it was mostly bad.. WWF and ECW were remarkably fuckin terrible, excepting Heatwave, at this point, despite Stone Cold being red hot. It's just garbage.

1998 is a shitty year for American wrestling.

Striker

It's kind of enjoyable just not knowing what to expect. '98 wrasslin' is very inconsistent. It goes from "wow, that was great" to "oh my god, what am I doing with my life?" frequently. Like, segment to segment.
What did you rate IYH: Canadian Stampede? Watching it again for some '97 wrasslin' goodness. King is amazing that year.

Holy crap this "finisher" by Battle Kat (no idea this was a wrestler) is just...just watch it

http://gfycat.com/MiniatureDisguisedIrishwaterspaniel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8VsB7Oyfw8#t=2m19s

1998 was such a shitty fucking year for everyone except WCW, even though they had spots of goodness in there, it was mostly bad.. WWF and ECW were remarkably fuckin terrible, excepting Heatwave, at this point, despite Stone Cold being red hot. It's just garbage.

1998 is a shitty year for American wrestling.

Was 98 that weird in between period where it was New Generation mixed with Attitude? Looking at 98 Rumble line up has me thinking it was, but I can't fully recall.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, more 96 to 97. 98 was full on Attitude Era. Worst period.

I just noticed Brawl For All was in 98 and immediately went "yep" i now remember the time. Wasn't this also when the Hardcore title came about? At the time I thought it was great, but holy hell do 90% of those matches not hold up in the least bit. Actually, a lot of the "we're copying this from ECW/FMW" stuff was just awful.

somedevil

Not sure if this was mentioned but they announced the new member of Bullet Club that will tag with Tama Tonga.

Its
his real brother Camacho/Mica.

I bet this thrilled not a lot of people.

Kurita

I totally agree with you. Always loved the guy, Miz and Morrison were so good together, he has charisma, his in-ring isn't spectacular but since he's entertaining outside that's enough. Loved his WM promo before Cena/Miz, it was great and got me rooting for him big time.
A shame they didn't keep him in the main event after his title loss.

Menome

Friends, I have just broken up with my girlfriend of two years and can't drown my sorrows for the evening due to the medication I'm on.

I am hoping that Roadblock is stupid and entertaining enough to take my mind off things. It can't be any worse than Fastlane...can it?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Friends, I have just broken up with my girlfriend of two years and can't drown my sorrows for the evening due to the medication I'm on.

I am hoping that Roadblock is stupid and entertaining enough to take my mind off things. It can't be any worse than Fastlane...can it?

It'll be that.

Zach

What did you rate IYH: Canadian Stampede? Watching it again for some '97 wrasslin' goodness. King is amazing that year.

You can click the image to see the full Gradez spreadsheet, FYI. But I gave it a B-. I'm pretty sure I got a lot of heat for that one, brother. I apologize in advance.

Top Bottom