• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Don't Forget, You're Here Forever.

Anth0ny

giphy.gif

Wait until Seth comes back and they have the Shield immediately reform in a desperate attempt to get Reigns cheered again

And then the fans see through it and boo the Shield while Seth and Dean look on horrified

Son Of D

Raw this week was the first time Del Rio's footstomp finisher actually made sense.

Read Smackdown spoilers

Updated Final Wrestlemaina 32 card?

Remember, it's free :)

Going from
Cena vs Rusev
to
Ryback vs Kalisto
is such a downgrade.

Also what are the Wyatts doing? All four going to be in the Andre Battle Royale?

Recall

I always feel it's pointless to write off Wrestlemania as being bad, I'm always willing to let it speak for itself rather than going in with pre made judgements.

Anything can happen, folks.

Tagyhag

I always feel it's pointless to write off Wrestlemania as going to be bad, I'm always willing to let it speak for itself rather than going in with pre made judgements.

Anything can happen, folks.

It'll be worth it for a main event Trips entrance.

I really hope he comes out as a giant Snickers bar.

Oersted

Reigns has been heel since that Royal Rumble match. They have yet to do anything about it. And no,that Fastlane match against Bryan doesn't count

klonere

Banned
Smackdown

Kevin Owens beat A.J. Styles in a non-title match. Chris Jericho distracted Styles and Owens got the pin after a pop up power bomb. Jericho then laid out Styles with a codebreaker after the match. Owens came back out (this is probably off TV) and Ambrose then ran in and cleaned house on Owens and Jericho, ending the night by giving Owens Dirty Deeds.

DzYRaXf.gif

AJ is already just another guy b t w

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Smackdown

Kevin Owens beat A.J. Styles in a non-title match. Chris Jericho distracted Styles and Owens got the pin after a pop up power bomb. Jericho then laid out Styles with a codebreaker after the match. Owens came back out (this is probably off TV) and Ambrose then ran in and cleaned house on Owens and Jericho, ending the night by giving Owens Dirty Deeds.

DzYRaXf.gif

Someone has to fill in Neville's spot

Hex

Banned
Smackdown

DzYRaXf.gif

He is still main eventing Smackdown, that is not just another guy.

Browny

Banned
That OT Stone Cold thread led me to rewatch this again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPusp3-Tt_A

Christ man, that intensity. When was the last time we saw something even remotely as raw (excuse the pun) that didn't involved the gawd Brock. Even Brisco's bump was A+.

I remember that segment vividly - mainly because I swear they recapped it on a following show with a slow-mo close-up of the ankle shifting position, making it look legit.

'96/97 Austin was the best.

Pikma

Banned
Smackdown

DzYRaXf.gif

He is undoubtly winning his first one-on-one Wrestlemania match, but yeah let's focus on a meaningless match on Smackdown, which he lost because of heels doing heels stuff, to determine he's just another guy

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Smackdown

DzYRaXf.gif

How? Dude lost dirty to a champion in the main event, when he starts jobbing to ziggler is when you should show some concern.

Clegg

Satoshi Kojima was jobbed out in 4 minutes. AJPW booked a squash of one of their very best workers.

That company deserves all the shit it gets.

I'm enjoying my free trial, watched Fastlane last night to see what's what for WrestleMania. Are the Raws on the network like a month behind or can you watch current ones?

Navigating the content is sort of annoying since everything appears to be alphabetical. I wish there was a way to sort through shit chronologically so I could get caught up.

Enjoying the shit out of the ECW PPVs. I think that will always be my favorite. I'm not so into when shit gets super gory or anything. I just love the rough around the edges approach, the wrestlers themselves, the gimmicks, the crowds (!). I was at a few ECW events back in the day and it was an absolute blast. Watching Fastlane last night in comparison was just sad. The crowd was sad, most of the wrestlers were sad, the promos were mostly sad.

And yet...I feel hooked.

klonere

Banned
He is undoubtly winning his first one-on-one Wrestlemania match, but yeah let's focus on a meaningless match on Smackdown, which he lost because of heels doing heels stuff, to determine he's just another guy

¯_(ツ)_/¯

How? Dude lost dirty to a champion in the main event, when he starts jobbing to ziggler is when you should show some concern.

I mean I don't even watch the shows anymore so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I guess I'm bitching due to unrealistic expectations of them actually building things up and making things feel important rather than just throwing shit together because they have 5 hours of TV to fill a week or whatever. Just trading wins and losses in the midcard with no appreciable/interesting/engaging storyline development might be the number 1 problem with WWE right now. Heels coming down to distract their opponents happens on every single fucking show, sometimes multiple times a show!

Let's just say that AJ won't be getting close to the same reaction at next year's Rumble.

apologies for more WWE bitching but it seems all this thread is capable of beyond nostalgia and "I wish X was back"

klonere

Banned
In exchange for WWE shitposting here is a fantastic match from last year from perhaps the last good run AJPW will ever have.

Joe Doering (c) vs Go Shiozaki
https://vimeo.com/116167923

It's not flashy, its not the Tokyo Dome, its not full of dives and flips. Instead you get an almost throwback AJPW match with stiff striking, big slams, deliberate yet brisk pacing, great selling and a very hot crowd. Arguably on par with anything that happened at Wrestle Kingdom 9 (yes, even Nakamura/Ibushi). Credit for Data for posting this last year and getting me going on the puro train when I was starting to really get into non-WWE wrestling.

Doering was an NXT trainee at one stage but does his "beefy gajin in AJPW" stuff very well. Sadly, he got badly injured in 2015 and I haven't seen him back in much of anything since them. Still he was a great Triple Crown Champ while it lasted and in a perfect world would have been an integral part of Miyahara/Shiozaki/Akebono at the top of AJPW. Of course, Shiozaki left, Akebono could only hold the fort for so long and all remaining viable challengers for Miyahara got hurt. AJPW is in really awful shape right now and may not survive the year unless ~certain groups~ want it to keep going.

imBask

Banned
driveby post to state how disgusted I am at WWE for ruining AJ Styles already. It was to be expected though, and this is why this company deserves to burn to the fucking ground

see y'all at WM

driveby post to state how disgusted I am at WWE for ruining AJ Styles already. It was to be expected though, and this is why this company deserves to burn to the fucking ground

see y'all at WM

Fastlane was the first time I saw AJ Styles wrestle and it was...OK. What's the hype around this guy?

Heroman

Banned
Fastlane was the first time I saw AJ Styles wrestle and it was...OK. What's the hype around this guy?
That like juding sting on his 3 macthes in the wwe and asking whybpeople love him so much. The reason why he has been hyped so much is cause he amazing, what he did in Njpw , tna, and Roh was fantastic.

That like juding sting on his 3 macthes in the wwe and asking whybpeople love him so much. The reason why he has so much hype is cause he amazing, what he did in Njpw , tna, and Roh was fantastic.

Ok cool, so he's got a solid history. I definitely wasn't judging him off one match, just curious since people here and on TSC seemed pretty hyped that he was coming to WWE.

I literally haven't watched any wrestling from 1999-about a month ago so lots of these people are new to me and I have no idea about their history/accomplishments.

klonere

Banned

Probably the best wrestler in the world last year and has been in a top 5 spot since he went to NJPW in 2014. Was instrumental in establishing TNA's the X-Division which had big influence on American indies and produced some of the best TV/PPV matches of the 2000s.

Basically, an incredible wrestler that was stuck in TNA while it started circling the drain, went to NJPW became a legitimate huge star, holding their biggest belt on multiple occasions.

Was poised for a huge babyface run in all likelihood before he got snapped up by WWE for reasons that aren't that clear to me as his selling point is he delivers incredible performances in big, main event style matches and can work with a wide variety of styles (heh) but can't talk at all and is small with an average look.

Seeing how he is being booked now is more or less a recipe for cooling him down immensely from that gargantuan pop at the Rumble and making him a good hand in the midcard who gets the smarks cities relatively excited.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3uxvj3_aj-styles-vs-shinsuke-nakamura_sport

In exchange for WWE shitposting here is a fantastic match from last year from perhaps the last good run AJPW will ever have.

It's not flashy, its not the Tokyo Dome, its not full of dives and flips. Instead you get an almost throwback AJPW match with stiff striking, big slams, deliberate yet brisk pacing, great selling and a very hot crowd. Arguably on par with anything that happened at Wrestle Kingdom 9 (yes, even Nakamura/Ibushi). Credit for Data for posting this last year and getting me going on the puro train when I was starting to really get into non-WWE wrestling.

Doering was an NXT trainee at one stage but does his "beefy gajin in AJPW" stuff very well. Sadly, he got badly injured in 2015 and I haven't seen him back in much of anything since them. Still he was a great Triple Crown Champ while it lasted and in a perfect world would have been an integral part of Miyahara/Shiozaki/Akebono at the top of AJPW. Of course, Shiozaki left, Akebono could only hold the fort for so long and all remaining viable challengers for Miyahara got hurt. AJPW is in really awful shape right now and may not survive the year unless ~certain groups~ want it to keep going.

I had the pleasure of being at this one. Absolutely insane atmosphere. Crowd was nuts which was cool from the Japanese audience. It was my second favorite match of the trip and I was at WK9.

Probably the best wrestler in the world last year and has been in a top 5 spot since he went to NJPW in 2014. Was instrumental in establishing TNA's the X-Division which had big influence on American indies and produced some of the best TV/PPV matches of the 2000s.

Basically, an incredible wrestler that was stuck in TNA while it started circling the drain, went to NJPW became a legitimate huge star, holding their biggest belt on multiple occasions.

Was poised for a huge babyface run in all likelihood before he got snapped up by WWE for reasons that aren't that clear to me as his selling point is he delivers incredible performances in big, main event style matches and can work with a wide variety of styles (heh) but can't talk at all and is small with an average look.

Seeing how he is being booked now is more or less a recipe for cooling him down immensely from that gargantuan pop at the Rumble and making him a good hand in the midcard who gets the smarks cities relatively excited.

Excellent write up, thanks. I'll keep an eye on him.

Edit: Watching mechashivas vid. This is a good one.

miserable

i saw that match, it was pretty good. i must check out more Shiozaki matches, i kinda missed his stuff. it's a shame that he went back to NOAH, i wanted to see him in New Japan.
and i thought Joe Doering is coming back to this year's Champion Carnival?

klonere

Banned
I had the pleasure of being at this one. Absolutely insane atmosphere. Crowd was nuts which was cool from the Japanese audience. It was my second favorite match of the trip and I was at WK9.

Oh man I am very jealous that is a crazy two days of wrestling just there!

Fam....it's Wednesday.
The greatest night of Wrestling on TV.
BE HYPE!

Wednesday night war

NXT
Bayley and Asuka vs. Nia Jax and Eva Marie
Emma vs. Deonna Purazzo
Tomasso Ciampa vs. Jesse Sorensen
The Hype Bros vs. Angelo Dawkins and Kenneth Crawford

ROH
#1 Contender's Gauntlet Tag Match: reDragon vs. Caprice Coleman & Will Ferrara vs. Joey Daddiego and Chris LaRusso vs. The Young Bucks vs. Bob Evans and Tim Hughes vs. The Addiction vs. Roppongi Vice

Lucha Underground
Lucha Underground Trios Title Match: The Disciples of Death (Terce, Barrio Negro and El Siniestro de la Muerte) (c) vs. Ivelisse, Son of Havoc and Angelico
Lucha Underground Title Match: Mil Muertes (c) vs. Fenix

Counting tonight's show, there are three more episodes to build to TakeOver: Dallas. They've already announced Samoa Joe vs. Finn Balor and Austin Aries vs. Baron Corbin on TV, and the
Shinsuke Nakamura announcement
is next week. That leaves how they'll set up the
Asuka vs. Bayley
match and the
American Alpha vs. The Revival
match.

Seems like it could be a big episode for Lucha Underground tonight. If either title changes hands, it would move the plot forward. The Cueto in exile stuff also has to come to a head at some point too.

Oh man I am very jealous that is a crazy two days of wrestling just there!

Joe was a pretty cool dude. We had a group of like six or seven Americans there at the show both days. The day before this match someone from All Japan came up to us and said Joe wanted to meet us.
We got brought to the back and he started putting the title on our shoulders, taking pics, and talking about anything we asked. That dude is good people and was a great champ for them.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
LU tonight should be important. Will be a big deal. Truly the finest wrestling show on TV.

Top Bottom