• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Don't Forget, You're Here Forever.

To be honest, I didn't realise people were down on Triple HHH until I joined up here. Back in high school during 1999-2003, my friends were split into three camps:

Triple H
The Rock
Steve Austin

Poor old Foley not getting a look-in, despite him holding the belt at one point.

No Taker takers?

Attitude Era HHH is a glorified supporting character. He is, at the very best, the 7th most important character of the Attitude Era (strictly WWE, not including WCW). Austin, Rock, Vince, Foley, Undertaker, and Bret were all more significant to that era than HHH was. Hunter leads the crappiest version of DX, and when he breaks away from DX he usually ends up playing second fiddle to someone else (usually Vince or Shane).

Royal Rumble 2000 vs Foley is when Hunter became a legitimate main eventer. But realistically the Monday Night Wars were kind of over by that point and that was the tail end of the Attitude Era we all remember.

Yeah. It's a pretty small window though imo. I feel that by the time leading up to evolution starts he's kind of lost it. He was never really the same after that Two Man Power Trip injury. Though it was enjoyable seeing him get tossed around by Steiner. That feud was insane.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Happy Birthday to one of my Fave Five WrassleGAFfers, Bronx-Man.

Is Fenix the best baby face going today or what?

Cdw3Cf9UkAA5jXA.jpg

Sephzilla

Yeah. It's a pretty small window though imo. I feel that by the time leading up to evolution starts he's kind of lost it. He was never really the same after that Two Man Power Trip injury. Though it was enjoyable seeing him get tossed around by Steiner. That feud was insane.

I legitimately think Authority HHH is the best version of HHH. Dude can still put on solid matches, and I kind of feel like Authority HHH is the best and probably most original of the HHH characters.

Hunter Hearst Helmsley = Pompus jackass character that was basically a wrestling trope by that point
DX HHH = I'm gonna do what Shawn does
Evolution HHH = Cosplaying as a Four Horseman

Mauro Ranello explains who Hirooki Goto is to King is crazy

Also calls the package piledriver.

https://streamable.com/m9hb
Holy shit. I've read Wrasslegaf folks speaking highly of Mauro but haven't heard him before now. Dude is great, and standard WWE bullshit drags him down.

The fact that Byron is there to add color commentary to King's color commentary.....ughhhh

It could work if it was just King but now you have two voices saying "lol this guy actually cares about the match"

I legitimately think Authority HHH is the best version of HHH. Dude can still put on solid matches, and I kind of feel like Authority HHH is the best and probably most original of the HHH characters.

Hunter Hearst Helmsley = Pompus jackass character that was basically a wrestling trope by that point
DX HHH = I'm gonna do what Shawn does
Evolution HHH = Cosplaying as a Four Horseman

I always thought he was going for Harley Race lol.

Authority HHH can no longer do a proper pedigree in the ring though (although he did the proper one on the steps because he had no choice). It's kinda sad, like watching Jericho do a boston crab.

Barrage

HHH is the most meorable wrestler, in the highest quality year in WWE history. He is not carried-he gave Jericho the biggest pop of his career, he made Taka look like he could beat the World Champ, his Angle/Steph love triangle was immensely entertaining, he did it all from top to bottom.

People trying to mitigate that because they didn't like that their favourite wasn't predetermined to pin him...I mean, all power to you, but that's a pretty sad way to live.

bjork

March 31, 1996 - a boy becomes a man. He's coasting on a mid-card undefeated streak, and starting to try and have some sway into his story lines. His opponent this day crushed him in short order, no-selling his finisher and having a 90 second match. As he lie there on his back, looking at the lights of the arrowhead pond, he was filled with an envy he'd never felt before. "How can that guy just roll in here after 3.5 years of being in the doghouse and beat ME, the future? How can I be that powerful? How can I be that cool? Can I be ultimate?" Then, as he groggily meandered to the back area, he saw the sweet little apple that was the boss' daughter, and he smirked an evil smirk. The rest is history.

Sephzilla

HHH is the most meorable wrestler, in the highest quality year in WWE history. He is not carried-he gave Jericho the biggest pop of his career, he made Taka look like he could beat the World Champ, his Angle/Steph love triangle was immensely entertaining, he did it all from top to bottom.

People trying to mitigate that because they didn't like that their favourite wasn't predetermined to pin him...I mean, all power to you, but that's a pretty sad way to live.

Jericho didn't debut and interrupt HHH

Foley deserves so much more considering he made Taker change his style, made hbk become a tough guy, helping make Austin a better character, really really made Vince helped elevate the rock, started the trend of beating wCw week after week, and make hunter legit.

Foley deserves so much more considering he made Taker change his style, made hbk become a tough guy, helping make Austin a better character, really really made Vince helped elevate the rock, started the trend of beating wCw week after week, and make hunter legit.
Yep. Foley gave hundred precent and then some.

UberTag

I've always been a part of the "Foley is God" crew... glad to see so many others opening up their eyes to what's always been in front of them in plain sight.

4717054-b81b-gnciaahgb_.jpg

Sephzilla

One thing I'll absolutely give the attitude era (and this will include HHH) was that it felt like everyone in the main event scene was pretty damn over.

Bret Hart was over
Austin was over
Rock was over
Foley was over
HHH was over
Taker was over
Kane was over
Vince was over

Godddamn. Imagine if most of the modern main event roster was over.

jmdajr

To be honest, I didn't realise people were down on Triple HHH until I joined up here. Back in high school during 1999-2003, my friends were split into three camps:

Triple H
The Rock
Steve Austin

Poor old Foley not getting a look-in, despite him holding the belt at one point.

Triple H used to be YUUUUGE with the internet crowd. It wasn't until Attitude era was over when people got down on HHH for gaining "too much powah"

Anth0ny

HHH was awesome in 2000. After Foley put him over at RR and NWO, he became a legit main eventer. It helped that Austin was out of the picture, too.

When people get nostalgic about HHH, they're probably thinking back to 2000. His shit before that with DX was hit or miss, and then most of the stuff after the quad injury was the shits.

I agree that he's pretty great right now as the authority figure. Part time worker putting on awesome matches and willing to put others over in the end (mostly). And he can still cut one hell of a promo.

One thing I'll absolutely give the attitude era (and this will include HHH) was that it felt like everyone in the main event scene was pretty damn over.

Bret Hart was over
Austin was over
Rock was over
Foley was over
HHH was over
Taker was over
Kane was over
Vince was over

Godddamn. Imagine if most of the modern main event roster was over.

dude the new age outlaws were over

too cool was over

crash holly was over

Criticize the product and workrate all you want, whatever they did WORKED and connected with the crowds and tv audiences during that period. Everyone was over as FUCK.

bjork

Probably 5% of the audience was on the internet, so it hadn't been ruined for them yet. So instead of arguing over backstage stuff, they just enjoyed the show.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Happy Birthday to one of my Fave Five WrassleGAFfers, Bronx-Man.
That means a lot to me, honestly. Thanks, Sunny :)

Bronx, babe, how old are you? 20?

Happy Birthday, cutie. And thanks for all the awesome humor and threads you bring to the...*rolls Bronx up for the pin*
Really? On my damn birthday?!

STOOP
THAT
LOW.

Broooooonx-Maaaaan
It's your birthday tonight
Broooooonx-Maaaaan
I hope you have cake and it's nice

Thanks Menome :)

Triple H
The Rock
Steve Austin

I never saw the appeal of HHH either. Loved Foley (I was an ECW nut) and Austin, eventually came around to The Rock who I now consider brilliant.

I'm talking like 1997-2000.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Mauro Ranello explains who Hirooki Goto is to King is crazy

Also calls the package piledriver.

https://streamable.com/m9hb

The funniest part is that they've never mentioned the package piledriver once before this. King should have mentioned the kayfabe reason he doesn't do it - he lost a match to Lawler right before he signed to NXT in which he gave up the right to use it, lol.

Top Bottom