• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Don't Forget, You're Here Forever.

bjork

I 'm watching a periscope of Kreayshawn cutting her own hair and it is better than any wrestling I've seen in forever. She should be divas champ

Mahonay

Banned
What about Sasha Banks, Charlotte, and Becky? They seem to be doing pretty well.
Did you forget the "Divas Revolution" last year? That shit was sinking all of them the moment they got moved up. That shit was insanely awful. It didn't turn around until pretty recently.

shaowebb

I wish Dean Malenko still wrestled ��

Same. I loved watching him work a mat game with folks. Real talk though, God damn did the texas cloverleaf ever hurt. Out of all the submissions I took in training literally only two made me fucking feel like something was about to rip or get pulled out. One was the texas cloverleaf. Fucking thing felt like my lower back and hip were going to die. Just so much tension at the top of the leg thats bent as it connects back to the hip. It kept my back from flexing so the tension all went straight along that muscle. Boston crabs you could fight and do pushups and use your quads. You try and fight that cloverleaf in that manner and you pretty well rip your muscles at the hip or lower back on that side. You'd need some serious flexibility for this to only feel like a boston crab and hip flexibility I didn't have like that. Once I was in it I was gonna need a work to get me out of it ever. That move fucks you up.

The other move that ripped me up? Rings of Saturn. Good fucking lord man my chest felt like it was being ripped in half. Never felt anything like it. No direction I struggled into relieved the pain. Just went from one pec to the other. Once that bottom arm is pinned to the ground and he started twisting my free arm back as far as he could it was hell after he got so far. Since the dude's bodyweight kept my bottom arm pinned if he wanted to he could have just kept rolling over and torn my pecs if he wanted to.

Hard as shit dealing with someone using those moves.

xXnM6TB.gif

bmTLXZG.gif

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I think Charlotte is finally getting to where she needs to be but Sasha and Becky haven't really progressed much (and in some ways regressed) from NXT.

Yeah, Becky is a fine wrestler. Excellent even, but she is lacking on the mic. It seems like they recognize the popularity of Sasha and are trying to make her a face...its awful. Sasha was my second favorite wrestler in 2015 after Owens, but so far she's not really shining in WWE. I'm waiting for the eventual heel turn. It actually seems to be a larger issue in WWE right now, too many heels, not enough people who are actually good at being babyface.

Showaddy

Yeah, Becky is a fine wrestler. Excellent even, but she is lacking on the mic. It seems like they recognize the popularity of Sasha and are trying to make her a face...its awful. Sasha was my second favorite wrestler in 2015 after Owens, but so far she's not really shining in WWE. I'm waiting for the eventual heel turn. It actually seems to be a larger issue in WWE right now, too many heels, not enough people who are actually good at being babyface.

I dunno damning with faint praise and all that but Becky seems to be cutting some of the best promos on the show right now.

Sephzilla

I think the women's side is fine right now. Becky and Sasha are doing fine and Charlotte vs Natalya was probably the best match at Roadblock. That said, I'm still worried as fuck about them calling up Bayley

Make her champ at WM, bring up Bayley and she reverts to NXT heel vs. the ultimate babyface

My fear is that they bring in Bayley to team up with the Usos for the ultimate hybrid entrance

klonere

Banned
Actual NXT developmental is stuff that we don't see in the Performance Center and the Florida house show circuit in armories in front of 150 people.

The NXT weekly TV product has morphed into some strange hybrid of old NWA-WCW Saturday Night with squashes, slow, deliberate storylines and emphasis on building to a big event every few months with WWE production values and a roster populated at the top by indie darlings that are signed with NXT in mind rather than the main roster. Oh most importantly the center of the rejuvenation of women's wrestling in the company.

Sunny is right in that it needs to be spun out into its own thing soon enough because its become unwieldy as a tool to create talent for the main roster. Instead it creates its own NXT talents that often enough depens on several long NXT storylines, engendering a bond between them and the audience that is more or less impossible to transfer over to Raw (Sami, Bayley, Tyler, Becky, Sasha, Jordan & Gable, Emma, Adam Rose, Vaudevillans etc etc etc).

Plus Hunter seems to sign short guys in their late 30s with tons of mileage on them (Joe, Finn, Aries, Nakamura) or younger flippy dudes like Neville, Swann and Sombra who will all inevitably fall into the Evan Bourne/Justin Gabriel spot on the main roster because that's VKM baby.

Adree

Makes me cringe at the thought of them eventually turning Owens face. How could anyone who saw Sasha's god tier heel work in the iron woman match want her to be face? My only hope is that she'll just be a Stone Cold style face who isn't friends with anyone.

What ever happened to friendsless faces/heels besides Big Show anyway? It seems like when you turn heel in WWE you are suddenly pals with a ton of people.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Actual NXT developmental is stuff that we don't see in the Performance Center and the Florida house show circuit in armories in front of 150 people.

The NXT weekly TV product has morphed into some strange hybrid of old NWA-WCW Saturday Night with squashes, slow, deliberate storylines and emphasis on building to a big event every few months with WWE production values and a roster populated at the top by indie darlings that are signed with NXT in mind rather than the main roster. Oh most importantly the center of the rejuvenation of women's wrestling in the company.

Sunny is right in that it needs to be spun out into its own thing soon enough because its become unwieldy as a tool to create talent for the main roster. Instead it creates its own NXT talents that often enough depens on several long NXT storylines, engendering a bond between them and the audience that is more or less impossible to transfer over to Raw (Sami, Bayley, Tyler, Becky, Sasha, Jordan & Gable, Emma, Adam Rose, Vaudevillans etc etc etc).

Plus Hunter seems to sign short guys in their late 30s with tons of mileage on them (Joe, Finn, Aries, Nakamura) or younger flippy dudes like Neville, Swann and Sombra who will all inevitably fall into the Evan Bourne/Justin Gabriel spot on the main roster because that's VKM baby.

I think I'm understanding what WWE is doing pulling all this older talent in for a while. They want to leave their stamp on everything wrestling related, from everyone, so that when they're brought anywhere or celebrated in any way, WWE gets a mention and has tape and video of them in WWE doing work. It's a pivot towards wanting to be the focus of everything historical. I'm fine with that, too.

klonere

Banned

Becky cut the most impassioned, genuine babyface promo on the main roster back in January and has been pretty solid since tbh.

She should have won at the Rumble when she was super over but it's the case of the babyface who gets screwed one too many times and people stop caring about them.

fo1xjZM.gif

She's this close to being a huge star Vince!

Sephzilla

Sasha as a face can work so long as she continues acting like a jerk to people, just now she acts like a jerk to other heels. Which is basically how face Rock worked back in the day. But really though, Sasha is amazing as a heel.

Makes me cringe at the thought of them eventually turning Owens face. How could anyone who saw Sasha's god tier heel work in the iron woman match want her to be face? My only hope is that she'll just be a Stone Cold style face who isn't friends with anyone.

What ever happened to friendsless faces/heels besides Big Show anyway? It seems like when you turn heel in WWE you are suddenly pals with a ton of people.

Yep, Sasha's heel work in those two Bayley matches was amazing

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Becky cut the most impassioned, genuine babyface promo on the main roster back in January and has been pretty solid since tbh.

She should have won at the Rumble when she was super over but it's the case of the babyface who gets screwed one too many times and people stop caring about them.

fo1xjZM.gif

I'll admit, I've been skipping Raw a lot lately, so my bad on the mic comment seems to be a bit outdated. Glad she's getting better since she is so talented in the ring.

Adree

I think I'm understanding what WWE is doing pulling all this older talent in for a while. They want to leave their stamp on everything wrestling related, from everyone, so that when they're brought anywhere or celebrated in any way, WWE gets a mention and has tape and video of them in WWE doing work. It's a pivot towards wanting to be the focus of everything historical. I'm fine with that, too.

It's a great system right now. We get great matches, the wrestlers get financial stability, and WWE gets indie cred. Samoa Joe is doing some of his best work in what should be the twilight of his career.

klonere

Banned
It's a great system right now. We get great matches, the wrestlers get financial stability, and WWE gets indie cred. Samoa Joe is doing some of his best work in what should be the twilight of his career.

I never saw much of Joe previous but dude is a killer in NXT.

ARxt8jK.gif

shaowebb

anyone watch Daredevil yet?

Yes and its fantastic. Dont go in thinking its gonna be high flying superhero action. It'll have action, but its gritty and very realistic...especially in its consequences. Its a fantastic crime mystery with vigilante-ism and the horrible consequences of trying to do things outside the law.

WATCH IT.
I never saw much of Joe previous but dude is a killer in NXT.

He'll never be as over as he was at ROH where he went undefeated as champ for 2 years and the crowd would chant "Joe is gonna kill you" to folks. My god the Jay Briscoe match that went on so long the bloody mask clotted on Jay's face and started coming off in visceral shreds. Like something out of a horror movie watching the man literally tear his own face off. I can't remember if they had to call that one or not due to the blood loss.
Link to image

fo1xjZM.gif

Indeed

Ithil

Oh boy, time for Daredevil.

NXT has pretty much hit its ceiling with it fulfilling the role it's currently playing. If it should be bigger, it needs a different role as a show.

It needs TV, frankly. It's at that point where it's too big to continue just being that developmental show on the Network, but not big enough to have primetime TV. Even though it has its loyal fanbase, its visibility is way lower than it could be.
WWE don't really promote it on RAW, or push it as much as they could.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It needs TV, frankly. It's at that point where it's too big to continue just being that developmental show on the Network, but not big enough to have primetime TV. Even though it has its loyal fanbase, its visibility is way lower than it could be.
WWE don't really promote it on RAW, or push it as much as they could.

It would help address the big shift when someone moves from NXT to Raw. There's a vocal amount of people in the crowd that follow it, but it's not enough to get that goodwill over to Raw at the same time. It would definitely help.

Ithil

It would help address the big shift when someone moves from NXT to Raw. There's a vocal amount of people in the crowd that follow it, but it's not enough to get that goodwill over to Raw at the same time. It would definitely help.

Yes, if they could get even to a similar to Smackdown level of eyeballs watching it weekly, it would be enough to fix that problem of their general audience being unfamiliar with it and the people coming from it.
It's why their lack of promotion for Takeover Dallas is pretty lame. They're gonna have their biggest number of Network subscribers all year on WM weekend (including casual people only signing up to see WM), they ought to be getting as many people to watch it as possible. It only benefits them in the long run.

Hell yes. Guy was ridiculously smooth in the ring. His Jericho feud is one of the best.
Probably one of the only feuds I remember other than nWo from wCw. Sucks he got overlooked coming to wwe. If only he were about 3 inches taller and buff. Well more so just buff.

The Ascension being made into nobodies so quick into the main roster still hurts my soul...
They could've been so much more but they just weren't thinking.

Same. I loved watching him work a mat game with folks. Real talk though, God damn did the texas cloverleaf ever hurt. Out of all the submissions I took in training literally only two made me fucking feel like something was about to rip or get pulled out. One was the texas cloverleaf. Fucking thing felt like my lower back and hip were going to die. Just so much tension at the top of the leg thats bent as it connects back to the hip. It kept my back from flexing so the tension all went straight along that muscle. Boston crabs you could fight and do pushups and use your quads. You try and fight that cloverleaf in that manner and you pretty well rip your muscles at the hip or lower back on that side. You'd need some serious flexibility for this to only feel like a boston crab and hip flexibility I didn't have like that. Once I was in it I was gonna need a work to get me out of it ever. That move fucks you up.

The other move that ripped me up? Rings of Saturn. Good fucking lord man my chest felt like it was being ripped in half. Never felt anything like it. No direction I struggled into relieved the pain. Just went from one pec to the other. Once that bottom arm is pinned to the ground and he started twisting my free arm back as far as he could it was hell after he got so far. Since the dude's bodyweight kept my bottom arm pinned if he wanted to he could have just kept rolling over and torn my pecs if he wanted to.

Hard as shit dealing with someone using those moves.

xXnM6TB.gif

bmTLXZG.gif
I'd like to see someone do the rings of saturn now and dan Severn's submission. Those things are beastly.

Hope everyone's ready to get comfy, maybe get a few snacks

2.5 hours from now, the Hogan/Gawker documents are unsealed and we find out that Hogan knew he was being taped all along and he and Bubba were going to sell the tape for big cash money bucks

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Kevin Owens isn't buried because he's popular and good at selling merch. Which is what everyone on the roster that's pushed does other than Reigns, who I bet still sells a ton of merch.

I don't really see how it's an NXT conspiracy.

Mahonay

Banned
In this highlight package for the Starrcade 94' main event, Beefcake is wearing two fannypacks side by side. That man always finds new and inventive ways to be an absolute abomination.

Hope everyone's ready to get comfy, maybe get a few snacks

2.5 hours from now, the Hogan/Gawker documents are unsealed and we find out that Hogan knew he was being taped all along and he and Bubba were going to sell the tape for big cash money bucks
You can continue to work yourself you marks but I'm getting in my time machine and going back to 98,dude!

Mahonay

Banned
Kevin Owens isn't buried because he's popular and good at selling merch. Which is what everyone on the roster that's pushed does other than Reigns, who I bet still sells a ton of merch.
It's funny how quickly Ambose rocketed past Reigns in merch sales the moment his latest push started.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's funny how quickly Ambose rocketed past Reigns in merch sales the moment his latest push started.
Merch sales matter a lot.

It's probably why VKM reportedly has a huge hard on for Finn Balor. He has more merch than 90% of the guys on the main roster.

finally caught up on this week's RAW:

- new day is getting stale, they need some more jokes. now all they're doing is shilling that stupid cereal box and then getting interrupted, honestly i find social outcasts far more hilarious now.

- league of nations beating on them was pretty funny, got major heat from the crowd

- awesome to see sami zayn in the cut now, keep him feuding with owens for sure.

- enjoyed the roman rampage. but lol what the hell at those screaming groupies. i thought a girl was getting murdered in the crowd for a minute. so much shrieking. and also UCE UCE UCE wtf, that's how they calm him down?! hahaha

- to hell with the lunatic noodle. that street fight with lesnar will prolly be fun tho.

Top Bottom