• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Don't Forget, You're Here Forever.

This was only $12 and a laugh riot. It wasn't nearly as sad as Heroes of Wrestling, and the commentary team was a wonderful mix of awful and great thanks to Rampage bringing the comedy. JR and Sean were serious enough, while also burying the show and the grappling match. That was dreadful, but entertaining thanks to the commentary. The MMA fight was a disaster, with a wedgie and an RNC - so it never had time to be bad.

Riff Raff was so goddamned awful, but hilarious with his whole schtick. Then we got him in the Angle vs. Rey match, where he saved Rey from that "MOTHER...FUCKER!" Kurt and his chair. They had a nothing house show match here, but it was amusing, and I like Rey's new El Rey/Lucha Underground gear. Tiny Trunks was hilarious in his walkout, but got his ass whooped. Roy Jones Jr. vs. Vyron Phillips had a few highlights in it - with Jones showing he has enough to face the Homer Simpsons of the world and not get hurt.

I wonder if someone GIF'd this, that was fantastic.

DMczaf

The last 10 years of the IC title described in 1 GIF

W04VfuA.gif

Kaiterra

Banned
The last time Roman lost clean in a singles match:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-mpNIADJv14&feature=youtu.be

Yes, and this is a good thing. More wrestlers should be booked like Roman and less like Dolph Ziggler or anybody stuck in 50/50 hell. Two people who win all the time facing off has equaled money since day one of fake wrasslin'.

I saw this earlier but wasn't able to respond at the time. It got me thinking though... Jesse is right, and Grimace's post is indicative that the WWE clearly knows this is a fact, so why do we have the 50/50 meat grinder and why do people within the company constantly say that wins and losses don't matter?

The last 10 years of the IC title described in 1 GIF

That is magical

Angle is a fucking Olympian and this is the trash he's associated with now. For the love of God someone get him in the WWE. He doesn't even have to fight. Just for the mic work alone. He can be American Alpha's manager or something.

He probably won't go to WWE unless they let him die in the ring, and, for as carny as he is, Vince ain't having none of that shit...

MC Safety

But ever since it started, fans are legitimately excited for divas.

That's an overstatement.

People were excited by the call-ups, but not the 3-woman teams and procession of tag matches. Even now, only a small portion of the divas storyline -- that being the chase for the title -- is exciting.

No one cares about Natalya, Paige, or Team Bad. No one cares about Brie and Lana, either. And with good reason: much of it is awful bordering on poison.

This is better than the most illegal thing I've seen in the history of wrestling.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
No way, it was a big deal up until the era days of the Attitude era. Always held by upper mid card guys/people waiting for their push.

Nobody actually wanted it though. It was just a sign of 'this guy is getting pushed next.' The title meant nothing. It wasn't like in the 80s where you had guys like Macho Man and HTM and Jake Roberts and Rick Martel feuding after the title itself. In the 90s and 2000s it just became 'hat for guy who is getting pushed next' the consequences and storylines around losing the title meant nothing.
That's an overstatement.

People were excited by the call-ups, but not the 3-woman teams and procession of tag matches. Even now, only a small portion of the divas storyline -- that being the chase for the title -- is exciting.

No one cares about Natalya, Paige, or Team Bad. No one cares about Brie and Lana, either. And with good reason: much of it is awful bordering on poison.

Says who? You really think that everyone watching the WWE just loves Becky Lynch and hates Lana or some shit?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Nobody actually wanted it though. It was just a sign of 'this guy is getting pushed next.' The title meant nothing. It wasn't like in the 80s where you had guys like Macho Man and HTM and Jake Roberts and Rick Martel feuding after the title itself. In the 90s and 2000s it just became 'hat for guy who is getting pushed next' the consequences and storylines around losing the title meant nothing.

Shawn and Razor. Goldust/HHH/Mero. Austin and Rock. Ultimate Warrior didn't want it when he came back and said as much and Austin did give it up only to want it back a few weeks later.

Shawn and Razor. Goldust/HHH/Mero. Austin and Rock. Ultimate Warrior didn't want it when he came back and said as much and Austin did give it up only to want it back a few weeks later.
Yeah there were still plenty who wanted the title around the early 2000's before they buried it with Kane and HHH imo.

Adree

That's an overstatement.

This is better than the most illegal thing I've seen in the history of wrestling.

I care about Natalya but even she has to understand what her place is going to be for the rest of her career.

Striker

^ tbh they haven't really done anything with her since the split of the angle between her and Beth Phoenix's alliance.

The Bret-Mountie-Piper stage is probably the highest it has been in the 90's. Though the Bulldog-Bret match that main evented SummerSlam was another moment it felt huge.

Tagyhag

Jesse Ventura and Monsoon were SO GOOD together. They fed off each other so perfectly, even when Monsoon occasionally botched Ventura picked up on it instantly and took it from there.

I used to think JR and the King were the best duo but I think I'll have to give it to these two. Also, there's A LOT less casual racism coming from Ventura than King, which says something considering Ventura was casting 10 years before.

SoloWrestling interviewed Angelico , who’s was in Spain for a seminar. Angelico said Netflix had offered them a deal, but Lucha Underground rejected it for being too low. They’re hoping Netflix will come back with a better deal but are looking at other options. This is a difference between what a normal wrestling promtoion might do and how Lucha Underground operates – they’re a small part of a Mark Burnett media property who has a strong sense of how much they should be paid for certain content and are going to be more likely to hold that line. It’s probably affected other deals too – there are things they probably could’ve got done, but are holding out for better terms. Anyway, Angelico says he’ll be part of Season 3, joining the tapings in April and May, and htey’re shooting out of order so he may be part of earlier episodes. (It was clear to those at the tapings this weekend that matches were being taped for parts of many different shows and maybe not in any conventional order.) Angelico mentions he was going to wrestle in PWG and Chicago (AAW), could not due to his knee injury, but expects to do more with Jack in the near future.
nooooooooooo

Razorskin

----- ------
Angle is a fucking Olympian and this is the trash he's associated with now. For the love of God someone get him in the WWE. He doesn't even have to fight. Just for the mic work alone. He can be American Alpha's manager or something.
Oh man, I want this so badly right now.

Watched the The Shield / Authority triple tag from WM 30 and that crowd could not give a fuck. Wow

I also know understand why everyone loves Cesaro. That moment during the ARMBAR was great and his reaction was perfect. Is there any particular match or feud I should try and make my way through?

Clegg

Watched the The Shield / Authority triple tag from WM 30 and that crowd could not give a fuck. Wow

I also know understand why everyone loves Cesaro. That moment during the ARMBAR was great and his reaction was perfect. Is there any particular match or feud I should try and make my way through?

Cesaro v Sami Zayn on NXT Arrival. His best match imo.

v Daniel Bryan in a gauntlet match on Raw. The first 7 or 8 minutes are Bryan against two other guys and Cesaro is his last opponent. But himself and Bryan put on a very good 10/15 minute final fall.

Any match he's had one on one with Cena. They work well together.

He also had a good match against Sheamus at NoC and another good one against Kofi although I can't remember where from.

shanafan

Hey fellas, a number of years ago - I'm thinking mid-2000s, there was a storyline about a diva having some kind of ugly "thing" on the side of her face. Which diva was that, and what happened with that storyline?

Clegg

Hey fellas, a number of years ago - I'm thinking mid-2000s, there was a storyline about a diva having some kind of ugly "thing" on the side of her face. Which diva was that, and what happened with that storyline?
That was Jillian Hall. The Boogeyman bit it off. I'm not joking. Then she was repackaged and a terrible singer and released shortly afterwards.

Fucking hell Smackdown was really bad in the mid 00's.

Son Of D

That was Jillian Hall. The Boogeyman bit it off. I'm not joking. Then she was repackaged and a terrible singer and released shortly afterwards.

Fucking hell Smackdown was really bad in the mid 00's.
It really was. Seemed like the dumping grounds for ideas. The 2005/2006 main event scene was pitiful which led to forced pushes or Kurt Angle hopping around the brands, although this at least led to that great Taker/Angle match at No Way Out. Really that should have been the Mania match and have Rey/Orton.

Clegg

It really was. Seemed like the dumping grounds for ideas. The 2005/2006 main event scene was pitiful which led to forced pushes or Kurt Angle hopping around the brands, although this at least led to that great Taker/Angle match at No Way Out. Really that should have been the Mania match and have Rey/Orton.

JBL as your champ for the guts of a year shows how much shit they were in. His character was openly racist. And he was a mediocre wrestler with a good finisher. Just look at the state of this Smackdown PPV in 05. Horrendous

1)Hardcore Holly and Charlie Haas defeated Kenzo Suzuki and René Duprée (with Hiroko)
2)Eddie Guerrero and Rey Mysterio defeated The Basham Brothers (Doug and Danny Basham) (c)
3)Booker T defeated Heidenreich by disqualification Singles match 06:49
4)Chavo Guerrero defeated Funaki (c), Paul London, Spike Dudley, Shannon Moore, and Akio
5)The Undertaker defeated Luther Reigns (with Mark Jindrak) Singles match 11:44
6)John Cena defeated Kurt Angle Singles match for a WWE Championship match at WrestleMania 21 19:22
7) John "Bradshaw" Layfield (c) defeated Big Show via escape

Cagey

Banned

In modern pro wrestling, with the 'smart' fan seeing the IC title as 1) a means of coronating a guy with 'workrate' but also 2) believing the IC belt holder is about to get a main event storyline because of how they believe the company plots storylines, and without weight divisions forcing wrestlers into clearly defined classes/tiers/leagues, it's impossible for the Intercontinental Belt to mean anything.

At best, you can have a main event guy moonlighting with the belt like Cena did with the US Championship, but the audience understands that what's important there is beating the main event wrestler... not winning the belt itself. Once the main event guy moves on following his loss, the shine is gone.

I'd rather have it so a wrestler had to earn his way into the IC belt division and then do something to earn there way to the next tier than this current setup.

bjork

Do they ever say anything on commentary about the winner or a champ making more money? It was something they used to say, I want to say even into the early 2000s, but it seems like that was the last gasp of making a title seem relevant after its time.

Fox318

Do they ever say anything on commentary about the winner or a champ making more money? It was something they used to say, I want to say even into the early 2000s, but it seems like that was the last gasp of making a title seem relevant after its time.

Vince removed every reference of money after wrestlers asked for a raise.

Everyone knows now there is more money outside of wrestling.

I mean I think 90% of the roster makes under 90 k.

Last time numbers got out its kinda crazy that outside of a select few nobody is paid.

Its how Vince prevents unionization.

Top Bottom