• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin |OT| Road To WrassleMania

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

flyernmkjzg.jpg

Looks like the 1989 film No Holds Barred, starring Hulk Hogan and Zeus, will be making its way out of WWE’s video vault and on to DVD for the first time ever.

According to this flyer being bundled with recent WWEShop orders, the movie will be released through WWE Studios on July 3rd, 2012.

That joins other projects in the works through to 2013 – The Day, Barricade, No One Lives (featuring Brodus Clay), and The Marine 3: Homefront (rumored to be starring Randy Orton).

Speaking of WWE Studios, their latest offering Bending The Rules (starring Edge) was released yesterday on DVD and Blu-ray at Walmart stores across the US.
http://www.wwedvdnews.com/wwe-releasing-no-holds-barred-dvd-hulk-hogan/22364/

SoulPlaya

more money than God
WWE Studios should stop calling itself WWE Studios, if it's going to be putting out non-WWE movies. It would help with their perception too.

RBH

Meltzer confirmed on Observer Radio yesterday that Christian was pulled from Wrestlemania because his ankle is not fully healed yet.

Del Rio has fully recovered from his injury and is ready to return, but they've just decided not to put him in the 12-man tag match for unknown reasons.

Meltzer confirmed on Observer Radio yesterday that Christian was pulled from Wrestlemania because his ankle is not fully healed yet.

Del Rio has fully recovered from his injury and is ready to return, but they've just decided not to put him in the 12-man tag match for unknown reasons.
He's going to interfere in the Cena/Rock match.

I'm doing this rite.

RBH

Meltzer also said that he talked to "one of the biggest stars in the history of the business" last week about Rock vs. Cena.

This guy brought the Rock/Cena match up to Dave and asked Dave what he thought Rock was going to do. Dave told him that Rock was going to lose, and this guy said, "After what's gone down - he should go in there on the day of the show and go, 'I'm not losing'. What's Vince going to do? He can't do nothing. He should do that. If it was me, I would do that - just because of the way it's gone down."

I know that Austin, Flair, and Bret are among the people that Meltzer speaks with directly, so maybe those are some possible candidates as far as the identity of this person is concerned.

Penguin

Meltzer also said that he talked to "one of the biggest stars in the history of the business" last week about Rock vs. Cena.

This guy brought the Rock/Cena match up to Dave and asked Dave what he thought Rock was going to do. Dave told him that Rock was going to lose, and this guy said, "After what's gone down - he should go in there on the day of the show and go, 'I'm not losing'. What's Vince going to do? He can't do nothing. He should do that. If it was me, I would do that - just because of the way it's gone down."

I know that Austin, Flair, and Bret are among the people that Meltzer speaks with directly, so maybe those are some possible candidates as far as the identity of this person is concerned.

Well Bret knows what happens when you don't play ball!

Also, a little late, and didn't have time to ask for thoughts, but list of Top 7 WrestleMania moments http://nerdsontherocks.com/top-7-wrestlemania-moments

steveovig

I don't think it really matters who he talked to, does it? It sounded like it was something said in passing and was just a hypothetical situation of what they would have done if they were in The Rock's position. Who can blame them really? The Rock has all the power in this situation. Of course, it's not like he's going to even think about doing that anyways.

I think Cena winning so obvious that WWE might screw with people and have Rock win.

Plus it would help set up a inevitable rematch / the rumored best 2/3 with a match at summerslam and the final at next mania.

Still the smart money is on Cena is going over super clean, Rock/Cena bro hug and Micheal Cole proclaiming that "the john cena era has begun"

I think Cena winning so obvious that WWE might screw with people and have Rock win.

Plus it would help set up a inevitable rematch / the rumored best 2/3 with a match at summerslam and the final at next mania.

Still the smart money is on Cena is going over super clean, Rock/Cena bro hug and Micheal Cole proclaiming that "the john cena era has begun"

Cena's going to lose but it won't be clean.

And when I say, "it won't be clean", I mean it's going to somehow look, feel, sound, taste, and especially smell like Cena won and Rock lost.

Penguin

AoUtk.jpg

Cena looks like he has the sun in his eyes and The Rock refuses to do that stupid pose.

Cena does have the sun in his eyes.. and Rock pretty much did refuse to do the stupid pose...

The sad thing is.. its not even done organically anymore.. it was like we need to move the podium so we can get a photo op!

RBH

I don't think it really matters who he talked to, does it? It sounded like it was something said in passing and was just a hypothetical situation of what they would have done if they were in The Rock's position. Who can blame them really? The Rock has all the power in this situation. Of course, it's not like he's going to even think about doing that anyways.

Obviously Rock's not going to do that, but it's just interesting to speculate on who that might've been given who Meltzer usually talks to.

Cena's going to lose but it won't be clean.

And when I say, "it won't be clean", I mean it's going to somehow look, feel, sound, taste, and especially smell like Cena won and Rock lost.

nah.

IF Cena loses it will probably be the normal "Cena has to lose so we are going to do the ref didnt see his foot on the rope" angle for the 25th time.

That or someone gets involved which would be the worst way to end this horrible story.

nah.

IF Cena loses it will probably be the normal "Cena has to lose so we are going to do the ref didnt see his foot on the rope" angle for the 25th time.

That or someone gets involved which would be the worst way to end this horrible story.

I think the Rock wins to avoid a riot in the arena, but its a close fought battle, and then he shows up on Raw the next night to put over how awesome Cena really is since he never gave up.

The Rock goes away and Cena is champ again in 2 months tops.

Fintan

Has the commentary team been announced for Mania? Is it just going to be Cole and Lawler considering Booker will be wrestling? What are the chances that we get JR?

DaMan121

But whats actually gone down? A badly built angle? So? Rock has been in worse. And is someone not going to see the next Fast & Furious because the Rock read off his wrists? Whoever this guy is, he is a self entitled twit.

I think the Rock wins to avoid a riot in the arena, but its a close fought battle, and then he shows up on Raw the next night to put over how awesome Cena really is since he never gave up.

The Rock goes away and Cena is champ again in 2 months tops.

I think Cena is going to lose, not clean, and it's going to break him. He's been emphasizing on the last two Raws how "HE NEEDS TO WIN". Afterwards, his gimmick is going to be that he goes into some type of deep depression/loses his smile to try to get his haters to feel sorry for him.

Or

He's going to play it off the same way he did when Punk beat him for the championship, again un-clean. He's going to brush his shoulder's off, humbly congratulate the Rock, and then throw himself into the WWE title race which would put him as the #1 contender after, maybe, one Raw? And that will be the end of that.

http://i.imgur.com/eugfQ.gif[IMG]

You're gonna get Cole and maybe Lawler, and you're gonna like it[/QUOTE]

I would actually prefer a two man commentary team, but they're probably going to include Josh Mathews, with Matt Stryker doing interviews.

The less people on commentary, the better. If they throw Booker T in...

No. They won't do that. TELL ME THEY ARE NOT DOING THAT!

Fintan

It would be a travesty if they don't get JR for the Rock/Cena match.

Hopefully Rock has some say in the matter. If I'm not mistaken I think he has already said (on twitter maybe) that he wants JR to call it. He should be calling at least the main events.

dream

Rock vs. Cena has been talked about to death. The one-hour special that aired before the go-home Raw on USA epitomized the entire promotion of the match. The special consisted of an hour of footage showing us that Rock and Cena are huge stars and nice, successful guys. Rock is the super cool movie star with charisma, who has achieved things out of the business that no pro wrestler in history ever has. Cena is the face of modern pro wrestling, promoted as a great guy who forgives those who hate him and tries to kill them with kindness, is loyal to his childhood friends, a tireless worker, always has a smile, is wonderful to kids who are sick, and in being the era’s biggest star, hasn’t let his success go to his head.

What has been clear from the start is that the WWE’s goal out of this program, and this is not a wrong idea, is to use the star power of Rock to elevate Cena. Cena is the era’s biggest star, but he is not the star that Steve Austin, Rock or Hulk Hogan were, but he is still, at 34, one of the bigger stars in the history of the industry. He’s never been the kind of one man difference maker at the gate that separates the stars of wrestling from the mega stars, even as compared to the heyday of people like Bruno Sammartino or The Sheik, but that’s really a very small category of people from a historical standpoint.

He’s on top during an era where wrestling isn’t as popular, isn’t as cool, but is still financially successful. As a celebrity, he’s in some ways more well known than all but the handful of biggest names in history, yet in other ways, he doesn’t have that kind of impact that will make people a generation later consider him that kind of modern folk hero. While Cena is a bigger star than Dave Bautista, the two were contemporaries, and when Bautista retired, no matter how big his match with HHH was and how many world titles he held, it’s pretty clear his long-term legacy and staying power in the minds of the public is hardly at the level of similar level stars of the past. But when you are in a genuine dream match, it’s like a notch on your belt as an icon that you never fully lose.

Going in, everyone expected, not just because the show was in Miami, where Rock has lived on-and-off since playing college football for the Miami Hurricanes, that Cena would be booed out of the building like never before. He’s never faced anyone with Rock’s popularity. And at WrestleMania, where the percentage of adult males who travel from around the world is large, Cena always gets booed heavily anyway. And that’s not what the company wants. They want the money the match could bring, but they never heightened emotions past a certain level. They didn’t want fans to choose one or the other. They wanted them to choose both, which is very tricky, when the audience had already chosen.

The storyline pushed in the video, and everywhere, is Cena has been unfairly maligned by a large percentage of the fan base who thinks they are cool for booing him, but really are the most uncool. Will the result be those fans see this image of Cena and think they were wrong? Will they think they are now uncool and change? Will the fact Cena smiles and doesn’t care about being booed make the fans realize they can’t get to him and stop? And is that the desired reaction, because the key is making people care a lot. The scene of him signing a “Cena sux” T-shirt with a smile on his face, the scene of his work with Make a Wish and such should make it hard to boo him.

Promoting the match, the background of the match, why these two don’t like each other, and why the match is important was another subject. I spent an hour watching the countdown show that will air all week on the NBC Universal family of cable stations to see all those elements, none of which were there. The show is still going to do well. Record business? We’ll see.

On Raw, the final show built to the two in the ring once again. Rock was entertaining, but it has been clear since the attempts to make Cena the bigger babyface in this match, that there has been an edge lost when he comes out. Cena isn’t booed anywhere near as heavily as a few weeks back, but he’s not cheered. The two stood there, with Cena going on a long speech while Rock acted mad but did nothing, and Rock doing a comeback while Cena smiled and smirked almost coming across as saying, “We both know I’m going to win at the end.”

I don’t think there is anything wrong with a complete lack of physical angles in the top two matches, but Cena and Rock did the same thing over and over, except when they sang and rapped. It never escalated into anything but two great personalities cutting promos. Instead, Cena tried to say the match determines how he’s viewed historically and thus he can’t lose. Rock said he needs the win to be considered the all-time greatest, the only guy to beat Hogan, Austin and Cena all at Mania. But he said it with less conviction, more like he knows he has to say he’s going to win, while not harping on it. If anything, the Fruity Pebbles story on the countdown show, where Rock called Cena that as a slur and it led to Cena getting an endorsement deal where he’s on the box of the cereal only told us that Cena should love the guy for helping make him more famous.

But both are also very smart promoters. Cena has been very convincing that he doesn’t like Rock, whether true or not. Rock seems annoyed by Cena. He absolutely didn’t like what Cena said years ago about how he turned his back on wrestling. Still, if he really didn’t like him that much, when he came back, he’d have chosen to wrestle someone else. He could have picked his program, and Cena was the one he chose.

In an AP story, Rock said, “I came back to put on the biggest match of all-time. That’s all I want to do. There’s no one I can do that with right now other than John. He’s far and above everyone else in terms of popularity. He’s the guy. Is he Stone Cold? No. Is he Hogan? No. But he is John Cena and he’s been on top for a long time now.”

This will be the sixth time Rock has headlined WrestleMania (if you include last year, which, while he was not in the main event, he was clearly the headliner). Only Hulk Hogan, with ten true WrestleMania headlining matches, would be ahead of him. Cena, even though the face of the company, has only truly headlined twice before, the 2006 show vs. HHH and last year’s show. He was on last in the title match in 2007 but the real main event on that show was Bobby Lashley vs. Umaga with Vince McMahon and Donald Trump’s hair at stake. Three main events puts him behind Michaels (five), as well as Bret Hart, HHH and Steve Austin (four).

They may very well dislike each other, and those close to the situation believe that’s the case. The idea was certainly to make it appear like Bret Hart and Michaels in 1997, where everyone was convinced their dislike was more than just storyline, which turned into the most unique work of all. Both were in on it from the start. Both were working the talent, and everyone, from the start. Both were convincing to everyone that there was a big element of shooting in every interview. And the punch line was, they both worked everyone so well that they worked themselves into frenzies that saw them each get so mad that the big match was delayed and delayed and it never drew the money it should have. This is much bigger just because the two guys are much bigger stars and because wrestling is much bigger.

They may still do record business on PPV. Last year’s show grossed more money than any show in wrestling history. With Rock wrestling in a dream match instead of just being guest host, on paper, that should mean more, perhaps considerably more. But there is certainly some question if that will be the case.

At press time, five days before the show, there were about 61,300 tickets out. A little under 2,000 remaining at ticket outlets and there were 5,200 tickets left on stubhub (they are included in the 61,300 figure) alone when it comes to unsold secondary market tickets first purchased largely by scalpers, who for the most part are taking a bath on this show because the consumer demand wasn’t as high as expected. Available tickets on the secondary market are priced as low as $13.99 and will probably fall from there over the next few days. Ringside tickets, which were originally priced at $1,500, were still going at a premium, selling for $2,500 minimum this week and one third row seat in the last few days sold for $7,400. Even though the stadium will probably be full with around 65,000 people, and be announced as a sellout of around 75,000, it did fall short as far as being that kind of must-see high demand event that many WrestleManias in the past have been. Is that a hint about the buy rate? Probably not. The 2008 show had the second most number of tickets given away (behind only 1992), and was one of the bigger PPV numbers in history. House show business is good right now, but this is the good season and it is down from the same period the last two years. Ratings remain strongly disappointing. It is a cause for concern when 25% fewer people watched the go-home Raw this year than last year.

WrestleMania will bring in tens of millions to the South Florida economy. It’s no longer just the biggest show of the year, but endless autograph shows and other events, including the Hall of Fame and Raw the day after, are put on in conjunction. There are very few tickets left for the Hall of Fame and Raw, both of which will be sold out by show time. The city of Miami and Dade County pledged up to $2 million in cash, free venue space and a lot of donated services to get all the tourists, who come in for the show, as well as not just WWE events, but all the piggybacking events from companies like ROH, Dragon Gate USA and the WrestleReunion convention.

Still, this will still be a gigantic event, probably a good to great show and a huge money making promotion. Last year at this time in Atlanta, there were fewer tickets available at this point and that show was actually not sold out according to figures from the Georgia Dome released weeks later.

As far as what could and should happen:

John Cena vs. The Rock - One would think going in this match will have the most emotion. Rock is still by far the biggest star on this stage. Cena is both hated and loved at the same time, usually with fervent passion. As far as the result goes, logical booking, which often doesn’t apply to WWE because fooling people and doing the opposite of logic is often a key part, would say Cena should go over. It’s not a secret that was the original idea. Cena is the one staying and having to carry the company. Rock will be back, but no idea when, and a loss by Rock isn’t going to hurt him in the slightest. However, if the plan is to rematch the two, Rock could go over the first time. Who wins is a lot less important than not having a bad match or a bad finish.

The most interesting dynamic of who gets their hand raised is this. For the wrestlers and the company, Cena is their guy and Rock is the outsider from Hollywood. Most, but not all, do recognize his importance to the show. I think even the ones who deny it deep down know it. But to them, Cena should win, because wrestling common sense is the guy staying beats the guy leaving. To the audience, it is almost a certainty that when they bought their tickets, it was to see Rock beat Cena. Tickets haven’t moved all that fast in the last few weeks when the two personalities got muddled. The build stopped at some point being primary about the match. It switched to building Cena as a face and elevating him as a star, through his link with Rock. But just as much, it appears the attempt is to shame a large percentage of ticket buyers into having some sort of introspection that they were wrong all along and the people who cheered Cena were right. For the biggest pop at the end of the night, the usual goal of a show, Cena should play subtle heel, and Rock should go over with the people’s elbow. But this isn’t about one isolated show, it’s about the company.

Undertaker vs. HHH in a Hell in a Cell match with Shawn Michaels as referee - The only reason Undertaker should lose is if he is retiring. The impression we have gotten is he’s not retiring and will be back next year. If he was to lose, HHH, isn’t the guy to do it, unless they have the idea of making him a lead heel and work a fairly regular schedule, and right now as the guy being groomed to take over the company, the one part of the business he knows already is that between the ropes. It’s a lot more important for him to be learning the other aspects of the business than being a regular in-ring performer. And a part-time performer shouldn’t be the one to end the streak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom