• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

Salsa

zlCfzR4FlagpIyNCFg

zlCfzR4FxpgBmaR0y1

http://youtu.be/E-WHW-QNswE?t=25s

Salsa

this gotta be the nintendo game were characters talk the most

it's not just when you're not taking a shot but every time dialog appears and EVERY 2 SECONDS at the podium. Literally 2 seconds

this is some hi im daisy business

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So on private tournaments, you can play at your own pace, and finish the tournament? That was one big issue with HSG - they didn't have anything like that. The only async mode was hole by hole, so it took *ages*

This fits perfectly for me as my gaming time is sporadic

Okay, turns out that there are 4 Castle Club courses and 6 Mario Golf courses. I can finally confirm this. All have 10 challenges each.

The last Castle Club course is Sky Island and to unlock it in Mario Golf mode, and thus unlock its challenges, you have to
beat the 9-hole One-on On-putt challenge in Castle Club mode.
So happy to finally have that figured out for the OP. ^_^

rekameohs

Banned

it's not just when you're not taking a shot but every time dialog appears and EVERY 2 SECONDS at the podium. Literally 2 seconds

"Let's a play! Let's a play! Let's a play!...... Let's a play!"

Are there other characters that are less obnoxious when aiming?

Robin64

So on private tournaments, you can play at your own pace, and finish the tournament? That was one big issue with HSG - they didn't have anything like that. The only async mode was hole by hole, so it took *ages*

This fits perfectly for me as my gaming time is sporadic

Yea, it's wonderful! Plus you can play the tournament as many times as you want until it expires to improve your score. Online golf done right, bravo Nintendo.

Don't forget to take part in Worldwide Tournament 1 to get the Game Boy set, folks.

Reknoc

Bought this as soon as I woke up and played it on the bus to work lol. Did a practice round for the forest cup, got my handicap (9) and bought some gear.

The footfall sound in the club is from Mario 64.

daydream

Banned
Question for those already playing: Any chance to lose connection during online play and lose progress, or is it a one-time download of the course data and one-time upload of your result?

Edit: I'm guessing it's the latter for asynchronous play. Must be, right?

Ellite25

Yea, it's wonderful! Plus you can play the tournament as many times as you want until it expires to improve your score. Online golf done right, bravo Nintendo.

Don't forget to take part in Worldwide Tournament 1 to get the Game Boy set, folks.
How do you get into private tournements?!?

Salsa

apparently Gold Mario is broken as fuuuuck

can anyone with the season pass confirm? if so im guessing/hoping you can't use him in online tournaments

Robin64

How do you get into private tournements?!?

Just go to the Quick Play menu, tournaments at the bottom, pick Private and enter the code.

daydreaming said:
Question for those already playing: Any chance to lose connection during online play and lose progress, or is it a one-time download of the course data and one-time upload of your result?

Edit: I'm guessing it's the latter for asynchronous play. Must be, right?

No chance. It is indeed the latter. I've left mine at home in sleep mode halfway through one at the moment, even.

apparently Gold Mario is broken as fuuuuck

can anyone with the season pass confirm? if so im guessing/hoping you can't use him in online tournaments

Depends on the tournament limits. The current European ones are all Mario only, while our EarlyBird one is set to no limit. For what it's worth, I bet you can get your Mii to be pretty broken too.

Kouriozan

Sounds like Golden Sun alright :)

Cancelled my physical copy pre-order a few days ago but now I want to buy it on the eshop because I don't know what's wrong with me.

Is it the kind of game you want to have available at all times or should I order another cart?

Tenck

Cancelled my physical copy pre-order a few days ago but now I want to buy it on the eshop because I don't know what's wrong with me.

Is it the kind of game you want to have available at all times or should I order another cart?

Yes, this is the type of game you'd love in your 3DS instead of cart.

Got a Handicap of 9. Lay it on my guys, I got the worst on Gaf right?

I did manage to drop it to 6 after one tournament though.

DagsJT

Going to get this from the eShop later today. Wasn't going to get it as I've got Everybody's Golf on the Vita but the online tournaments sound great.

I picked this up at midnight along with the Season Pass, Kirby and the rest are going to have to wait a few weeks.

So far, so good. Progression is pretty unclear, but I've had fun exploring the Castle Club (outside through the back is course access/progression tournaments, down the stairs is online tournaments, best I can figure so far) and going through the motions with the Forest course. My handicap started at 9 and is down to 0 after three rounds through the course, the 0 achieved when I won the championship with -14.

I think I'll give the GAF tourneys a shot. Haven't played a Mario Golf game since obsessing over the GBC edition for a year when it was new, so I'm not expecting to do well against some of you (I've only had two eagles so far). Still, the idea of playing with you all is fun!

Robin64

Bought, downloading. I'll be with you guys in a moment.

Is there a GAF tournament already?

There is. Called NeoGAF EarlyBird Tournament, it's an 18-hole stroke tour of Forest Course, with no limit on characters and no items. A nice gentle entry into the tournament world!

The code is 19-1168-9943-8813

As of 3 hours ago, the results are:

Hannah / -19
Katze / -18
Godot / -14
Xater / -12
Pira-tan / -12
andymoogle / -11
WelshGamer / -8
Fluxx :D / -8
Robin / -7

Salsa

beat the second championship and got dat negative handicap

castle club is super easy

got 12 on the gaf tourney but i'll improve it later

Putosaure

Well, I'm torn between :

28€ physical copy
40€ digital copy (non resellable) with free GBC Mario Golf
Keep playing free HSG on Vita

:(

Robin64

Well, I'm torn between :

28€ physical copy
40€ digital copy (non resellable) with free GBC Mario Golf
Keep playing free HSG on Vita

:(

The first option.

I got a Vita purely for Tearaway and HSG, so believe me when I say this is every bit as good as HSG. The online mode in MG is just sublime.

Salsa

even tho we'll mostly be playing tournaments I created a Neogaf community anyway

NEOGAF community :

quote to reveal

Tillbo

Could anyone who has the game please tell me how many save profile slots this game has?

Might be a strange question but as my son has a 2DS this will sway me to either the physical cart or download it just to my 3DS.

Thanks!

Robin64

Could anyone who has the game please tell me how many save profile slots this game has?

Might be a strange question but as my son has a 2DS this will sway me to either the physical cart or download it just to my 3DS.

Thanks!

Just the one.

MyBodyisReady

Neo Member
I just purchased this and the season pass. Going into this with little info and I'm excited. I feel like I enjoyed Mario Golf on the Gamecube. I will definitely love this game.

Robin64

Is this game better than Toadstool Tour in terms of content and gameplay?

It feels the same to me, gameplay wise. Maybe there are some minor differences, but I couldn't really tell you what those are. It's definitely just Mario Golf.

It has more courses, though only a few of them are full 18-hole courses. However, if you choose to get the DLC, you get all of the N64 courses remade too, taking it way above Toadstool Tour for content.

You guys and your tournaments are making me want to buy this now. And I swore to myself I wouldn't buy any software this month :(

Robin64

You guys and your tournaments are making me want to buy this now. And I swore to myself I wouldn't buy any software this month :(

This and Mario Kart 8 make May a beautiful month. And both the games have amazing online modes. Nintendo really cleaning out my wallet this month.

Zalman

It feels the same to me, gameplay wise. Maybe there are some minor differences, but I couldn't really tell you what those are. It's definitely just Mario Golf.

It has more courses, though only a few of them are full 18-hole courses. However, if you choose to get the DLC, you get all of the N64 courses remade too, taking it way above Toadstool Tour for content.
Urge to buying... rising...

This and Mario Kart 8 make May a beautiful month. And both the games have amazing online modes. Nintendo really cleaning out my wallet this month.
And Kirby too.

Can someone explain how tournaments in this game work, with the codes and all? And communities?

Might help speed up my purchase

Robin64

Can someone explain how tournaments in this game work, with the codes and all? And communities?

Might help speed up my purchase

Tournaments with codes are private tournaments that players have created. After setting criteria, such as which course is played on, which characters are available and, most importantly, when it will end, a code is generated. Other players putting in the code can take part in that tournament.

Players can have as many goes as they want in a tournament right up until it expires. When it ends, a ceremony awards the player in first place with a significant amount of coins (depending on how many people took part in the tournament).

Also, while playing a tournament, you see the shots of other players that have taken part. It's pretty cool!

Communities, on the other hand, are a simply quick way to find single matches against others in the group.

Edit: There are also public tournaments created by Nintendo, which offer items for taking part such as the Game Boy clothing set or the Callaway gear as detailed above.

teeny

Just played through the EarlyBird tournament, can already see I am going to get a lot out of this game :) Got -6 which just isn't good enough.

I'll add my FC to the doc when it becomes available.

Tournaments with codes are private tournaments that players have created. After setting criteria, such as which course is played on, which characters are available and, most importantly, when it will end, a code is generated. Other players putting in the code can take part in that tournament.

Players can have as many goes as they want in a tournament right up until it expires. When it ends, a ceremony awards the player in first place with a significant amount of coins (depending on how many people took part in the tournament).

Also, while playing a tournament, you see the shots of other players that have taken part. It's pretty cool!

Communities, on the other hand, are a simply quick way to find single matches against others in the group.

So then what's the advantage of adding a bunch of people as friends?

Top Bottom