• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

Kouriozan

Currently around 15th place in the NeoGAF Beach Trip tourney with a -18. I had a pretty "on" round. A couple pars but made up for it with two eagles. I don't see myself doing much better than average one under par per hole. I'm honestly not sure how people are reaching the -20s. Long drivers?

I was using Star Paratroopa, I think his drive is 220m or something, not that huge.

Timeaisis

I think I used Star Para for my -18. I guess if I didn't miss any birdies and got some extra eagles I'd be in the -20s. That's damn consistent, though. Heh.

Crumbtiny

Haven't had a lot of time to play the game, but loving it so far.

I'm new to golf games in general so I need to pratice the manual shot and get the hang of using spin.

Where is a good place to pratice this? The challenge courses at the Castle Club?

Also is it best to unlock some of the characters before getting in on the online tournaments? I've been using my Mii so far.

Which leads me to one other question: Where do you play to unlock new characters? Love the game and glad there's so much content, the trick is just finding it all!

lt519

I used star Yoshi for my -20 on the beach. I eagled 3 of the 4 par 5s, birdied everything else with two pars. No chip ins or anything "lucky."

Honestly, it's not the added distance of a star character, my mii hits for only 10 less than Yoshi but with a lot more control, it's all about putting. I made at least 9 putts of over 30 feet in that round, two over 50 for eagles.

This was on my 3rd try, I think if I kept at it I could push -22 but I'm more interested in the challenges right now.

lt519

Where is a good place to pratice this? The challenge courses at the Castle Club?

Also is it best to unlock some of the characters before getting in on the online tournaments? I've been using my Mii so far.

Which leads me to one other question: Where do you play to unlock new characters? Love the game and glad there's so much content, the trick is just finding it all!

On the main menu, go to Mario Golf and then challenges. Complete for star coins and you'll unlock new courses and characters.

Initially the star characters can be stronger than your Mii but once you get some good random gear your Mii can be comparable.

Just practice by playing the courses with the manual mode on. First focus on getting your timing down on the downswing before messing with spins and hitting location on the ball. Then get the spins down.

Initially the star characters can be stronger than your Mii but once you get some good random gear your Mii can be comparable.
You can get your Mii comparable to the weaker star characters, yes. However:

-Your shot height is fixed
-You can't go past 250ishY without gaining a fade/draw
-Power builds will have worse sweetspot and control stats compared to real star characters with the same power.
-You're capped at 272ishY and you'll have control and sweet spot stats that are overall worse than like star Bowser if you do that.

Basically, when you need power the Mii's are inferior to actual star characters. I suppose Mii's are fine if you are satisfied with Star Yoshi-like stats, but Star Mario will typically produce a superior score if you have good timing.

hort22

so can someone help me understand the flight path...cant remember the hole but im hitting into an 8mph wind and the flight path shows landing short of the hole with a pw, so i club up to a 9 and hit it way past the hole...whats the deal?

PSA: If you get golds in the online tourneys you'll get lots of coins. Getting well over 100K is pretty easy as a result.

Then you can easily stock up on 10+ mulligans and use them as you like in the One-on One-putt challenge.

Anustart

so can someone help me understand the flight path...cant remember the hole but im hitting into an 8mph wind and the flight path shows landing short of the hole with a pw, so i club up to a 9 and hit it way past the hole...whats the deal?

Shot line doesn't show effects of wind.

Robin64

Woo!

zlCfzR51w-EyvdN5U5

lt519

-Power builds will have worse sweetspot and control stats compared to real star characters with the same power.
-You're capped at 272ishY and you'll have control and sweet spot stats that are overall worse than like star Bowser if you do that.

Basically, when you need power the Mii's are inferior to actual star characters. I suppose Mii's are fine if you are satisfied with Star Yoshi-like stats, but Star Mario will typically produce a superior score if you have good timing.

Informative, thanks! I haven't gotten that far with unlocking the gear and the stronger star characters so I was just spewing garbage I suppose.

Robin64

Looks good in the trophy room!

zlCfzR515IMSuWNUH0

Not so much "spewing garbage" as "only half-right". There are still some star characters Mii's can match up to.

Pfft, I got 5 golds today and am loving it. :p

5? But only 4 tournaments ended.

I got three bronze and one silver.

Clockwork5

i understand that but if i'm into the wind and the shot line is already short of the hole...why wouldnt i have to go with one more club to get to the hole?

That triangle only serves to confuse... I have been playing much tighter since ignoring it all together.

And 8 mph winds are not going to make a huge impact.

hort22

That triangle only serves to confuse... I have been playing much tighter since ignoring it all together.

i dont mean the triangle...i mean the shot path thing...it shows that short of the hole by a ways and im hitting into the wind...i go for one more club and over shoot the green damn near...seems to me you shouldnt hardly switch clubs on approch shots.

edit: maybe im giving the winds to much credit then?

5? But only 4 tournaments ended.

I got three bronze and one silver.
You're missing one. The 5:

Regional Point-Play Tournament 1
Limited-Character Tournament 1
Limited-Character Coin Rush 1
Limited-Item Coin Rush 1
DLC Coin Rush 1

Sad Mario Open trophies don't show up in the trophy room. Hoping they count for the costume though.

lt519

i dont mean the triangle...i mean the shot path thing...it shows that short of the hole by a ways and im hitting into the wind...i go for one more club and over shoot the green damn near...seems to me you shouldnt hardly switch clubs on approch shots.

edit: maybe im giving the winds to much credit then?

The shot path shows where the ball lands (little circle) and the triangle shows where it would roll to given no slope or terrain effects. Wind effects shots by about 1-2 yards per mph depending on the length the ball is traveling and your shot trajectory. Once the ball lands it is affected by the geometry of its landing spot. Hit a downslope? It'll roll much further than the triangle. Upslope? It's more likely to stop dead in its tracks. My strategy has been too aim the landing spot near the hole adjusting slightly for wind and using backspin to stop it in place, but be careful if you use backspin into an upslope you'll move backwards.

So it's much more complicated than wind. Geometry of the landing area, terrain, rain on the ground, wind, shot trajectory and distance traveled all greatly affect your final resting place. Wind, trajectory and distance traveled all effect your initial landing spot.

The shot path shows where the ball lands (little circle) and the triangle shows where it would roll to given no slope or terrain effects. Wind effects shots by about 1-2 yards per mph depending on the length the ball is traveling and your shot trajectory.
It's more 1-2 yards per m/s, and mph is like 2.2x m/s. That estimate will cause him to overestimate a lot, and overestimating the effect of wind is his current issue to begin with.

hort22

well i play golf and have played alot of golf games...just seems like the wind doesnt do as much in this game...once again, could just be me on certain holes where upslope and downslope come into play or if im above the hole or vice versa....who knows...i do know one thing...i would love to play this game on a wiiU with some crisp hd graphics...any chance of a port?

Kouriozan

25th and got 16,300 coins in the EU Points Tournament.
Edit : wait, I only Silver in the other EU tournament, time to redo it I guess.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
do the wind training.

the higher the ball goes (pw) the more it's affected by wind. lower shots get less affected.
edit: game is so great. but it really really really needs to be played on a large telly with a couple controllers. I want to play this big. love it though.

Mulligans you buy in the Castle Club can be used in the Mario Golf challenge mode

Oh cool, that makes certain Sky Island challenges significantly easier. I had 8 mulligans left over from my 18-hole Sky Island run in the castle club so I'm glad to see there's still a very good use for them.

After my PTSD tourney is finished, I'm thinking of hosting something called the Honors Tourney. Basically, it's a tournament in which you only get a single try.

Of course, there's no way to enforce this, so I'm relying on the honor's system to carry it out, hence the name. What do you guys think?

I finally completed the one-on, one-putt challenge!
Now it tells me there is an 18-hole version... I need to remove all sharp objects from my house before I do something I'll regret...

Kouriozan

What? You also get trophies in Mario Golf-> Tournaments-> Mario Open!
If I knew I would have tried to get some more Gold Trophies >.<

Robin64

What? You also get trophies in Mario Golf-> Tournaments-> Mario Open!
If I knew I would have tried to get some more Gold Trophies >.<

Yeah, but luckily they're not ones that get displayed in your trophy room, so doesn't matter so much I guess.

lt519

It's more 1-2 yards per m/s, and mph is like 2.2x m/s. That estimate will cause him to overestimate a lot, and overestimating the effect of wind is his current issue to begin with.

I still don't think it's quite as simple. If you are hitting 250 yards, yeah it'll affect it 3-4 yards but if you are hitting the ball 100 yards it's going to be in the air less. That is why I said it was complicated and that each shot requires a different approach. Higher trajectory shots are in the air longer and affected more. Many things go into the per m/s calculation and slapping a number on it is dangerous. I could be wrong though but that's how I do it. It's also why I stress putting is the most important, you should be able to make some rough estimates without going crazy and put it within 30 feet and make all 30 foot putts to truly score consistently high.

Edit: I did botch the conversion rate, not trying to argue that. Just that there isn't a nice neat equation to throw onto it and his overestimation may be affected by a lot of other factors. Also to the OP of the problem, I often club up and then use L or R to adjust distance if my club down won't reach. I also club down quite often to get a higher trajectory so that the ball rolls less from it's initial landing spot, which is much easier to control

After my PTSD tourney is finished, I'm thinking of hosting something called the Honors Tourney. Basically, it's a tournament in which you only get a single try.

Of course, there's no way to enforce this, so I'm relying on the honor's system to carry it out, hence the name. What do you guys think?

I would suggest setting a very low time for the tournament to take place and then don't even post the number until there's like one hour left. Get people to commit to doing it, tell them to check the thread at a certain time, and post it then.

Teggy

Aw, I got knocked out of trophy placing for the Americas tourney. Are these tourney's qualifiers for other tournaments? I thought I read that somewhere.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Just want to note that these aren't necessarily deal breakers, especially if you're really good at shotmaking (affecting ball trajectory via moving the impact point, knowing how to work with the wind, knowing when and where to use spin, etc).

IEdit: I did botch the conversion rate, not trying to argue that.
Then there's nothing to argue here because my intent was simply to point out that the range you gave was way too much and would cause him to severely overestimate his shots. That's it. >_>

Robin64

Aw, I got knocked out of trophy placing for the Americas tourney. Are these tourney's qualifiers for other tournaments? I thought I read that somewhere.

Castle Tournament. To qualify you'll need to get a trophy in one of the following tournaments:
-Regional/European Tournament 1
-Regional/European Tournament 2
-World Tournament 1
-World Tournament 2
-World Tournament 3

Since top 10% get gold, next 20% get silver, and next 30% get Bronze, you'll need to place in the top 60% in one of those to qualify.

daydream

Banned
I got ~32k with five bronzes, not bad!

Didn't really think about the trophy room before. There'll probably be no second chance to replace my Bronze with a Gold. Oh well. :(

I got ~32k with five bronzes, not bad!

Didn't really think about the trophy room before. There'll probably be no second chance to replace my Bronze with a Gold. Oh well. :(
The time will eventually come. See that lock icon when checking your past scores? Only lock your golds. You can only keep 10 normal trophies at a time so if you lock your golds then over time you should lose the Bronze.

Teggy

Castle Tournament. To qualify you'll need to get a trophy in one of the following tournaments:
-Regional/European Tournament 1
-Regional/European Tournament 2
-World Tournament 1
-World Tournament 2
-World Tournament 3

Since top 10% get gold, next 20% get silver, and next 30% get Bronze, you'll need to place in the top 60% in one of those to qualify.

Ah OK, so I still have plenty of time to qualify.

Loco4Coco

I think I ran into a glitch in the 1st coin collector challenge in Bowser's Castle. I used the Note Block to bounce into the coin, it does it's chime signaling that I got it. Then on the next following shot it faces me toward the starting tee and the Star Coin is still there. Did it a couple of time and still. Am I doing something wrong?

Top Bottom