• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 |OT| Rosalina is Fat, BBW Lovers Unite!

The more I play this game, the more I begin to believe that this is the worst MK in terms of item rape. The lightning cloud and mega mushroom have nothing on the tanooki tail, stars pop up way too frequently, triple red shells still pretty much guarantee no one will pass you, the blue shell still stuns you for way too long, lightning strikes can still drop you into unavoidable pits and...now you lose coins (and speed) when you get hit by anything.

I know I could just pick communities with fewer items but goddamn I can't believe people think the items in this are any better than the ones in MK Wii.

Nope, it's in your head. It's definitely not the worst. And really? The lightning cloud you're complaining about?

Setting my IP to static, and dmz'ing it, seems to have fixed my connection problems. Been running smooth the whole week. Still get the random disconnect, but for the most part, it's game on.

All my other games have fallen to the wayside. Kart is seriously all I need. It is the perfect game.

cacophony

Got it today, liking it a lot. Can someone explain exactly how the drifting boost works? Is it just a matter of pulling off a nice long drift or are you supposed to waggle the analog stick back and forth like on previous MKs? Also, is there a reason you can only collect 10 coins per race? Seems kind of dumb to me.

Luigi87

Got it today, liking it a lot. Can someone explain exactly how the drifting boost works? Is it just a matter of pulling off a nice long drift or are you supposed to waggle the analog stick back and forth like on previous MKs? Also, is there a reason you can only collect 10 coins per race? Seems kind of dumb to me.

I believe drifting sparks are determined at the angle of your turn, so once your kart drifts to a certain angle, blue, then red.
This implementation helps prevent snaking.

Insaniac

anybody use connectify-me on a college campus? I got my bro mario kart for christmas but I don't think his 3DS would be able to connect to his campus wifi cause of all the authorization and password stuff needed.

I've been trying connectify at home using my laptop but it seems really unstable and slow, any help on trying to get it to work well?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

you can collect more than 10 coins (total coin count is for unlocking stuff) but coins give you more speed. 0-10 10 being the fastest you can go. Then it's up to you to get more coins because mario likes gold.

kitch9

Banned
i think im the worst mario kart player ever. any advice for a newbie? :(

A lot of the courses have a decent shortcut somewhere that will shave loads of time off a lap, but they are usually surrounded by mud or grass that will bog you down, so learn where they are and then try to save any shrooms you get to boost you over the boggy bit and fire you over the shortcut without losing loads of speed...

Dino Dino Jungle has a ramp for instance surrounded by mud that fires you over a chasm just before you hit the ramp to fly around the dinosaur on the bridge, I went from 5th to 1st by using that last night.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
as in they pick maka wuhu every race. if someone picks maka wuhu, they're going to do the glitch.

this makes me sad. before the glitch I was spamming that one. because I fucking love it. it's got the most badass shortcut in it that is pretty fun to try to make.

this makes me sad. before the glitch I was spamming that one. because I fucking love it. it's got the most badass shortcut in it that is pretty fun to try to make.

I prefer the twisty turny Loop, but only slightly. Both tracks are great and loads better than the other single-lap race, Rainbow Road. That glider section at the end of Maka Wuhu isn't usually as intense as I think the designers intended it to be - assuming there are actually people playing the track normally, of course - but it's still thrilling.

Gravijah

i thought the gliders were a lame gimmick before playing, but i was very surprised by how fun they are.

edit: 50 hours to reach 4700 coins. hoo boy.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
really enjoy the gliders (can't say same for underwater, although it's not that terrible)

I like trying to get max distance with the gliders. No idea if that actually is faster than driving though.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
really enjoy the gliders (can't say same for underwater, although it's not that terrible)

I like trying to get max distance with the gliders. No idea if that actually is faster than driving though.

It depends on the location really. Most of the time gliding is faster, but on the Bowser's Castle Super Circuit track it's much faster (though more risky) to take the hops over the lava.

mooooose

anybody use connectify-me on a college campus? I got my bro mario kart for christmas but I don't think his 3DS would be able to connect to his campus wifi cause of all the authorization and password stuff needed.

I've been trying connectify at home using my laptop but it seems really unstable and slow, any help on trying to get it to work well?
I actually can use my 3DS on campus, I just needed to register it online. I also did that at my old school. The only thing is, the WiFi here is slooooooooow most of the time and I can only connect to one hotspot with my 3DS that is meant for game consoles.

So last night I tried Connectify and it works awesome. I'm sure you could use some windows built in functionality to share the connection but Connectify is really easy to run and go back and forth from using my laptop's ethernet to wifi.

It's faster than the other signal and more reliable. I'd definitely recommend it. Before, I couldn't even finish a game of MK7 or I'd just lag out all over. I just got done playing a couple races and it is perfect.

Anyone playing in the gaf community right now, or would anyone wanna play? I wanna test out mah skillz against you guys.

EDIT: I guess not, maybe some other time then... :(

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
So just got it. Is it just me (hopefully it is), but is this a major step backwards in terms of online? Maybe I just can't figure it out, but how do I set up a custom race against a friend? Hell I'm having trouble even inviting a friend to a game. Where is custom, private GP races like Mario Kart DS? The only thing we've been able to do is play against strangers on Worldwide which doesn't appear to be a real race, just endless matches. So far it's pretty disappointing.

So just got it. Is it just me (hopefully it is), but is this a major step backwards in terms of online? Maybe I just can't figure it out, but how do I set up a custom race against a friend? Hell I'm having trouble even inviting a friend to a game. Where is custom, private GP races like Mario Kart DS? The only thing we've been able to do is play against strangers on Worldwide which doesn't appear to be a real race, just endless matches. So far it's pretty disappointing.

You can make your own community amongst friends. That's what the communities are for.

Top Bottom