• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

F34R

Online is pants for casual gamers like myself.

I seem to keep getting matched with high ranking players that always finish at the front. I don't stand a chance.

Really off-putting.

I'm considered "casual" when it comes to MK. If you want the W, just race with me lol.

Online is pants for casual gamers like myself.

I seem to keep getting matched with high ranking players that always finish at the front. I don't stand a chance.

Really off-putting.

Like any online game, it will sort itself out when those people begin to get matched with others of the same skill.

Mario Kart with GAF is like a mad scramble where you're gasping for breath trying to stay ahead of the absolute fucking calamity happening in the middle ranks.

I love it.

jokkir

Why is it so hard to catch up to people in the top spot. First usually has a clear advantage of not getting hit by everything since people are usually fighting in the back

Maximus P

Like any online game, it will sort itself out when those people begin to get matched with others of the same skill.

I sure as hell hope so...

My highest position today is a respectable 7th, and Im pretty sure a couple of dudes disconnected in that match... lol.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Why is it so hard to catch up to people in the top spot. First usually has a clear advantage of not getting hit by everything since people are usually fighting in the back

Because double boxes almost always give them a defensive peel, shell, or horn. They also get first dibs on coins.

Firebrand

First spot's carrying one or two defensive items, while everyone behind them are busy fucking eachother over. It's really difficult to get back into the top spots in this one if you fall behind, compared to MK7 etc where you could expect to lose if you were in 1st spot for the final lap,, hah.

Also glad to see you were able to join the GAF lobby at least, Grizzo. I went back to regular matchmaking after and it was disconnect city, lol.

Some general tips to "git gud":

Learn the tracks.
If you're not familiar with the tracks, play single player Cups until you are. Taking a wrong turn or not being prepared for what's up ahead will seriously hinder your chances. Additionally, many tracks have shortcuts.

Dirft, drift, drift!
You should really be drifting around every single corner, or at least attempting to. Not getting boosts from mini/super/ultra Turbos via drifting is putting yourself at a serious disadvantage against other players.

Do tricks on every jump
Tricks give you a boost when you land. Same principle applies here as with drifting.

Coins increase your top speed.
10 coins give you your maximum top speed, and every coin pickup gives you a small boost.

Experiment with Karts/ATVs/Bikes and Characters
Different vehicles, parts, and character weights give varying results. Don't just rigidly stick to one character and the same kart.

Not all bikes are the same
Some bikes have inside-drifting. That means when you drift, you lean into the curve which can help you shave off valuable seconds. Some people find them fiddly to control though.

Protect yourself.
In first place, your priority should be protection. Hang a banana peel or shell behind you to block incoming shells.

Coffinhal

The guy in the 2nd place is always in a better position than the 1st
The blue shell+red shall hits me an incredible number of time during the second part of a last lap

Anyone else is subscribed to the 4th place (the one you get after doing a remontada from the 10th place on the very last lap haha?)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
My piece of shit Joycon are ruining this game for me. Literally 1 meter from my Switch, and the stick stops responding when it feels like it. Worst quality controller ever by a huge margin.

Rixxan

If you beat a Grand Prix in a higher CC (three star for example) do you get credit for lower CCs?

Is it worth it to do all the Grand Prix even lower CC?

Coffinhal

If you beat a Grand Prix in a higher CC (three star for example) do you get credit for lower CCs?

Is it worth it to do all the Grand Prix even lower CC?

100cc unlocks 50 and 100
150 unlocks 50 100 and 150
but Mirror and 200cc are independent

I don't see the point of doing below 100 if you're not new to the game

Razzorn34

My piece of shit Joycon are ruining this game for me. Literally 1 meter from my Switch, and the stick stops responding when it feels like it. Worst quality controller ever by a huge margin.

Just send it in, man. Turn around didn't even take a week when I did it.

NoKisum

This game just makes it glaringly obvious that I can never play local multiplayer until Nintendo fixes this god forsaken joy con issue. Midrace, I was stuck doing donuts for a full minute.

Lost my local leading title, obviously.

sinnergy

Need a Pro Controller first, and those are nowhere to be found. Don't want to be left with a brick for a week or more.

I soldered a wire into my left joycon as shown in a youtube video. Worked like a charm, and if you have a small tip on your iron it's easy. You will void your waranty .. by doing so. But for me it was worth it.

I watched a gameXplain video, the one he got his left one back from Nintendo and mine has better reach, can play behind my back..

Hey, Jordan.. Look, I don't know where you learned that from.. If you saw your friends doing it and thought it was cool or something. What you just did wasn't cool. It was a very offensive thing that you did, and I'm going to have to ground you for a week.

I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

j-wood

Any tips for 200cc? Im decent at power sliding, but at 200cc i just can do s turns and just slam into walls. Do you have to power slide sooner? Or do you actually have to use the brake/reverse button?

Firebrand

I have no sfx audio on half of the airport course. Just music. Online and offline.
Someone else that problem?

I think it's intentional during the part where you're under planes taking off, as if everything is drowned out by the jet engines. I don't really hear any engines though...

Any tips for 200cc? Im decent at power sliding, but at 200cc i just can do s turns and just slam into walls. Do you have to power slide sooner? Or do you actually have to use the brake/reverse button?

You have to use brakes. Which is quite frankly the antithesis of Mario Kart imo

MizzouRah

Hey, Jordan.. Look, I don't know where you learned that from.. If you saw your friends doing it and thought it was cool or something. What you just did wasn't cool. It was a very offensive thing that you did, and I'm going to have to ground you for a week.

I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

Three red shells on the final stretch? Sorry!

Top Bottom