• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Direct now online

I actually like this trend of Directs being a bit more goofy and self aware, while being a bit more informative about game mechanics and features. And uh, less Iwata trying to explain game philosophies in slow English for 10 minutes before laboriously explaining a self-explanatory gameplay idea like the audience is five years old.

I agree. Between this, the smash direct, the tweets about Metroid and Robo-Reggie we are beginning to see an improvement in their communication.

Lunar15

I like that they're trying new things. I think the dub of Sakurai was really good in his direct, and I liked that they got different narrators for both the UK and the US one. (the UK one was better, IMO!)

I think they realized that sometimes Iwata could be a bit tough to understand for the uninitated. He does a fantastic job for what it's worth, but I think they want to have a more localized feeling to their reveals.

Revven

Pink Gold Peach and Baby Rosalina -_-...

At least the last courses shown look absolutely sublime. Character roster isn't really something I typically care about for a Mario Kart game anyway, though it IS strange how they didn't bring Bowser Jr. and Diddy Kong back when they've been on the roster since Double Dash.

Well, at least I have Koopa Troopa, DK, and whoever else I might like. One month to go!

NA dropping the ball on that offer, at least we still get it, but such a small selection. Wii Party U is the only one I don't have.

Blues1990

I'm super excited about this game, and I still haven't made up my mind for who I'm going to main in MK8, though it's probably one of the Koopalings, specifically Wendy O. Koopa, Morton Koopa Jr., or Lemmy Koopa. (And as much as I love Mr. Miyamoto, I grew up with the fact that they are Bowser's offspring, along with Bowser's very own mini-me son, and I'm going to stick with that story. :p)

It's a shame that the Battle Mode looks to be neutered this time around, but I hope that it doesn't seem to be the case.

Baleoce

Baby Rosalina was a given. Gold Peach (sorry, I'm not saying Pink Gold every time..) was a surprise though. I think it's good that they're giving the option of more female characters. Hopefully Baby Wario/Waluigi are unlockable xD

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Can't watch it--did Diddy Kong make it?

Penguin

I was so looking forward to seeing it and it never came.

Or did it???

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/mario-kart-8-battle-mode-revealed/2300-6418554/

There is, I believe. Not sure about it being online.

GameXplain has a video that shows balloon battles on race tracks, and the official MK8 website says there are no actual battle arenas, just 8 race tracks turned into battle arenas.

Thanks
Glad to see if its still in, but still nothing about it being online
Unless a sub-mode of normal online

Axass

Out of freakin' nowhere. This, the Tomodachi and the Smash Directs seem to be the next level of Nintendo marketing, the logical step after the usual directs.

The game looks spectacular. I have no words, nothing on this artistic level exists on any platform at the moment (there're plenty of technical beauties though, like Infamous SS).

The horn is a game changer. It was about time they introduced a counter-measure to the dreaded blue shell.

Last two characters are shit, though that's clearly the starting roster, if Mario Kart Wii is anything to go by, there're gonna be lots of surprise characters to unlock.

The fact they've shown every single track is fishy, I don't think it ever happened before, maybe there really could be a few still hidden... even though I doubt it frankly. 32 tracks is a massive amount already.

Mario Kart 8 is shaping up to be the best Mario Kart ever, bar none, it has almost everything good that ever was in the series: customization, tricks, going underwater and flying, retro tracks, boosts and jumps, lots of characters and karts, bikes, shortcuts, plus anti-gravity and a bunch of new items. If only it had a tag team mode a la Double Dash, it'd be perfect.

Only thing... where the hell is the battle mode? Are they waiting till the last week to reveal it or something?

EDIT: nevermind, I see battle mode is in... but on racing tracks...? There had to be something bad... damnit, why? ;_;

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Maybe there are secret characters. I highly doubt they revealed every character in the game a month before launch.

I'm going to keep my expectation low. I'm pretty sure that they reveal all secret characters for Mario Kart 7 before the game launched?

Wow, an item that can block blue shells, bikes got balanced and you can get a free game. This direct was better than I ever could have expected.

Yeah, It's better than what I expected to see from Mario Kart Direct.

Baby Rosalina is so stupid that I kinda want to use her. But then I remember Roy is in.

I'm going to main Baby Rosalina just hell out of it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Thanks
Glad to see if its still in, but still nothing about it being online
Unless a sub-mode of normal online

I do not understand this AT ALL.

Why screw this up? What possible reason is there to take out traditional battle arenas?

NeonZ

This game probably hasn't been rushed like 7, but that won't stop people from worrying.

The lack of battle arenas (they're all repurposed race tracks) suggests otherwise. Also, there's no mission mode equivalent, unlike in the DS and Wii games.

test_account

XP-39C²
Looks pretty good! :) I especially like that its possible to upload replays directly to Youtube. I wonder if there are any editing tools, like that you add different camera angles and slow motion to the videos that you're uploading. I'm wondering why there arent any voice chats during the races, unless that was just an error. I dont understand such a design choice if its true.

VFnUqPU.gif

I'm going to wait and see on the new approach to battle mode. I liked arenas, but looking at videos I'm not sure if doing it on tracks is that different, especially since you aren't forced to go forward or anything like that. And hey, at least they brought back the three balloons and done, and I think making those who lose ghosts who can mess with the rest is brilliant

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
so when are they announcing dlc

GameXplain likes the new Battle Mode.

There's an adjustable timer but it has 64 rules as far as losing when all your balloons are popped but you can then come back as a ghost to exact revenge.

Pink Gold Peach and Baby Rosalina -_-...

At least the last courses shown look absolutely sublime. Character roster isn't really something I typically care about for a Mario Kart game anyway, though it IS strange how they didn't bring Bowser Jr. and Diddy Kong back when they've been on the roster since Double Dash.

Well, at least I have Koopa Troopa, DK, and whoever else I might like. One month to go!
It's pretty funny lol. At least we have Waluigi and maybe DLC (Diddy Kong?)

Anyway, is that all the stages? Wario Stadium was the last retro?

Hindl

Wow that direct was amazing! That looked absolutely incredible and the quirkiness and cheesiness was awesome. I really like their new marketing and goddamn all the tracks look so good! Plus that promotion!

There were some similarities but it's a new track. It's just reusing a lot of the motifs for Bowser's Castle that they introduced in Double Dash. With the three retro courses revealed today we have all 16 confirmed.

No I think that's Bowser's Castle Wii. The giant bowser is the exact same as the Wii version and the track splits in front of him right before. Also, right after that is a fire pinwheel, just like in the Wii Version. I'm almost positive that's the Wii version, since the only part we saw was the most iconic part of that version

Wow that direct was amazing! That looked absolutely incredible and the quirkiness and cheesiness was awesome. I really like their new marketing and goddamn all the tracks look so good! Plus that promotion!

No I think that's Bowser's Castle Wii. The giant bowser is the exact same as the Wii version and the track splits in front of him right before. Also, right after that is a fire pinwheel, just like in the Wii Version. I'm almost positive that's the Wii version, since the only part we saw was the most iconic part of that version
There isn't room for another retro track though. We already have 16 without that

Yea, I'm not positive but that fireball pinwheel seems right from the Wii one.

Berordn

Wii didn't have a mission mode either.

Wii had the online competitions on Mario Kart Channel that was basically time-limited mission mode. Almost all the event styles from Mario Kart DS showed up, even a boss fight-style thingy.

Watch the trailer again, the track changes very dramatically after that and the area leading up to it isn't anything like the MK Wii version.

Also the entrance to the castle proper doesn't have the jump like it does in the Wii version and there's no wiggling hallway. It's a different track with a similar aesthetic.

Revven

In GameXplain's preview video Andre discusses the battle mode first and basically says it works like it did in SMK and MK64 (meaning traditional survival). But you can also tweak the settings on whether you want it team based, how many rounds, the items in play, etc etc.

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LewFJnRz_A

It's the first thing he talks about. However, he doesn't mention if it's online or not. Even though Battle Mode has been online in MKWii that was when it was forced to be team-based and it was score-based -- not survival. So the re-inclusion of it being survival could have pushed them to not make it online, I don't know.

Maybe it'll be a question someone will ask them for their Q&A video they usually do for preview events like this.

This direct is brilliant. Whoever came up with the script for it deserves a raise.

I especially enjoyed the riffs on "Deep Thoughts with Jack Handey."

Hindl

There isn't room for another retro track though. We already have 16 without that

Hmmm I guess but there's no retro Bowser's Castle right? I dunno it just seems too close to the Wii version but people with more in depth analysis than me know more than I do

corn_fest

Wii had the online competitions on Mario Kart Channel that was basically time-limited mission mode. Almost all the event styles from Mario Kart DS showed up, even a boss fight-style thingy.
Oh yeah. I totally missed out on that at the time. Never understood why it had to be a timed thing...

Axass

I completed Mario Kart Wii three days ago, trust me they are not even similar. It's a new track.

Top Bottom