• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Direct now online

Effect

The free game selection for North America is horrible. I have all of the games save Wii Party U and I do not want to play that game. I'd rather have a chance to get Wonderful 101, Sonic Lost World, or even Game & Wario.

Kouriozan

Still hoping for secret characters.
I know we already knew everyone in MK7 before release but it'll be weird to do that once again, I like to unlock stuff :(

ffdgh

ffdgh pls
of course you would say that :p

Heh. Doesn't make her any less lazy ofcourse but i'm satified.

Also here are the weight classes.

Light -
Toad
Koopa
Toadette
Lakitu
Shy Guy
Wendy
Lemmy
Larry
Baby Mario
Baby Luigi
Baby Peach
Baby Daisy
Baby Rosalina

Medium -
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Yoshi
Daisy
Ludwig
Iggy

Heavy -
Bowser
DK
Wario
Waluigi
Rosalina
Metal Mario
Roy
Morton
Pink Gold Peach

JB2448

That was a great Direct. It really feels like they're at least trying to appeal more to international mindsets with their most important video presentations. Something tells me the E3 Digital Event's gonna be pretty damn good. Also, Baby Rosalina is a thing. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one.

I was already getting this on day one (or near day one). My body is ready.

Edit: That free game deal, though. Pikmin 3 is mine at last.

Hmmm I guess but there's no retro Bowser's Castle right? I dunno it just seems too close to the Wii version but people with more in depth analysis than me know more than I do

Just watched a video of the wii bowser castle, it's very different. THe wii bowser castle had a bowser statue, but it just shot out boulders, it wasn't a huge magma statue punching the track. It also didn't have stuff like the lasers

Blues1990

The tracks look phenomenal, but I can't believe how atrocious the character roster is. There better be DLC.

I would love it if Goombella, Fawful, Bombette, Vivian, Prof. E. Gadd, Prince Dreambert, or any of the characters from the Mario Role-Playing series could become playable characters in a future Mario Kart installment.

SmithnCo

The free game selection for North America is horrible. I have all of the games save Wii Party U and I do not want to play that game. I'd rather have a chance to get Wonderful 101, Sonic Lost World, or even Game & Wario.

Yeah. Anyone who has had a WiiU should already have the three games worth having. Not interested in Wii Party U either.

Heh. Doesn't make her any less lazy ofcourse but i'm satified.

Also here are the weight classes.

Light -
Toad
Koopa
Toadette
Lakitu
Shy Guy
Wendy
Lemmy
Larry
Baby Mario
Baby Luigi
Baby Peach
Baby Daisy
Baby Rosalina

Medium -
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Yoshi
Daisy
Ludwig
Iggy

Heavy -
Bowser
DK
Wario
Waluigi
Rosalina
Metal Mario
Roy
Morton
Pink Gold Peach

I would have switched Ludwig and Waluigi personally. Waluigi doesn't seem very heavy at all and Lugwig has the same basic body shape as Morton.

Holy... the 34 minutes were over before I even realized, everything was glorious! :D And the music that started playing when they showed off Rainbow
Space Station
Road... I can't... I need it...

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
And here I thought I could not get any more pumped for MK8. Stupid me. If only my 6th-grade self could see this direct..

Animekatt

Just finished watching the video. I think the section with the musicians playing the songs was my favorite. I will definitely go down to Best Buy on Saturday to preorder this.

Zing

Banned
Holy hyperbole, batman. "Horrible"? Isn't the fact that you already felt three of the four games were worth buying proof that the game selections were chosen wisely?

Mory Dunz

I would love it if Goombella, Fawful, Bombette, Vivian, Prof. E. Gadd, Prince Dreambert, or any of the characters from the Mario Role-Playing series could become playable characters in a future Mario Kart installment.

Mario RPGs are the forgotten stepchild.
Using characters that have personality and growth in their respective games? Nah.

Can we take a moment to talk about the eargasm that is the moo moo meadows song? I mean, I know Mario kart and other Nintendo first part games usually have good music, but my god that was a beautiful masterpiece of a song.

Really fit perfectly with the theme of moo moo meadows.

I'd like to see some character packs

My ideal sets

Oddballs Pack
- E. Gadd
- Il Piantissimo
- Nabbit
- Birdo

Kong Pack
- Diddy
- Dixie
- Funky
- Cranky

Spooky Pack
- Dry Bones
- Dry Bones Bowser
- King Boo
- Polterpup

Classics Pack
- Queen Bee
- Wiggler
- ROB
- Petey
- Kamek

That's everyone from every Mario Kart game ever plus a ton of new comers.

ffdgh

Hell, it's almost Wario Stadium in name only. I guess it's disappointing for Battle Mode, but I can forgive them since we practically got 32 all new tracks this time.

Okay, 29 because the 3DS tracks are virtually unchanged

piranha plant slide got a zero gravity under water section added. It's not much but yeah lol.

Revven

In GameXplain's preview video Andre discusses the battle mode first and basically says it works like it did in SMK and MK64 (meaning traditional survival). But you can also tweak the settings on whether you want it team based, how many rounds, the items in play, etc etc.

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LewFJnRz_A

It's the first thing he talks about. However, he doesn't mention if it's online or not. Even though Battle Mode has been online in MKWii that was when it was forced to be team-based and it was score-based -- not survival. So the re-inclusion of it being survival could have pushed them to not make it online, I don't know.

Maybe it'll be a question someone will ask them for their Q&A video they usually do for preview events like this.

Reposting for new page

wtf5q1k2v.png

I feel like Nintendo has something truly special on their hands with Mario Kart 8. A lot of heart and soul was put into this game and it is evident in every aspect of it.

Insaniac

It'd be a shame for the game to excel in so many areas, but to fall short in battle mode. I don't play battlemode much, but I would still be upset cause I know a lot of people here do, and also it's been a core part of mario kart goodness since the beginning

edit: also was that Wario Stadium in the trailer?

Anteo

I'm still watching the direct right now, but my immediate reactions are:
- The game, visually, looks spectacular
- I'm glad they appear to have divorced stats from characters, so I can play how I want while playing as who I want.
- This is the first time that the format of the Direct feels like it's really gotten in the way of presenting the content. Normally I don't mind the skits or humour because stuff seems to still be presented pretty directly and at a quick clip, but this one drags big-time and there's too much baggage distracting from actually conveying things about the game.

Pretty sure characters still have weights (they say baby rosalina is a light character), and the karts affect everything else just like MK7.

Albo

HYPE INTENSIFIES

I like that they're trying new things. I think the dub of Sakurai was really good in his direct, and I liked that they got different narrators for both the UK and the US one. (the UK one was better, IMO!)

I think they realized that sometimes Iwata could be a bit tough to understand for the uninitated. He does a fantastic job for what it's worth, but I think they want to have a more localized feeling to their reveals.

Some of the announcers were too cheesy and overdone. Trinnen, reggie or other marketing guys do a good enough job for no extra cost.

60fps for up to two players, apparently drops to 30 in 3 and 4 player splitscreen.

Yes.

60 FPS in everything except splitscreen beyond 2 players.

Thanks.

I'm so psyched to see the blue shell is no longer unblockable. The only thing that could possibly screw this game up for me would be obnoxious rubberband AI on the higher difficulties. It's the main reason I never bought Mario Kart on Wii.

Top Bottom