• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Direct now online

Nintendo's marketing teams are on a roll. Wish I had money to buy a Wii U, don't want to miss out on the early multiplayer madness.

My favorite joke was the part when the announcer said "But it's not over until the fat lady sings! I'm talking about you Wendy." or something along those lines. Couldn't believe that came from a Nintendo production.

Amazing ND. Good job Nintendo. Ohh, and Youtube share, i wasn't expecting that. A lot of people is going to jump on board with this game.

Robin64

Guess they really have retconned the Koopalings at this point. They used to be Bowser's kids, right? Right..? Now they're just "Bowser's Minions" and have even dropped the "Koopa" surname.

MYE

ifHsnCaFvhHdD.gif

lol
That will work hilariously well as an "ok.gif" reply to an angry post

Raven77

Seems like it would be less annoying in my opinion.

Yeah unless you want to actually talk to your friends while racing.

Nintendo really needs to get caught up here. The best part about online play for my friends and I is being able to create a party and chat while we play the game. We don't have to listen to others because you can change it to party or game chat.

emb

Even though I didn't like the stealth upload as much as a livestream, I still have to say... I can't believe the timing with this stuff. After yesterday I thought the rest of the week would be slow on news. It's like instead of doing a normal Nintendo Direct this month, Nintendo gave a Direct to each game they would have talked about, and a short promo for e3 announcements. All more in depth and more spread out. It's been quite nice, overall.

Sinthetic

That was one of the most enjoyable and well put together presentations I can remember seeing.

Some thoughts:

- Game promotion is really great (not sure what to go for).
- Horn defence is absolute genius, Piranha eating bananas is game changing.
- Customisation seems really deep and full of awesome quirky stuff.
- Baby Rosalina is adorable and Pink Gold Peach is classy as Hell.
- Online is going to take over my life.
- Rainbow Road MK8 appears to be by far the most epic one ever.
- Music is going to be Godly.
- UK voiceover guy is hilarious and a knob.
- Haiku, nostalgia, bike vs cars etc were fantastic and they should do this kind of thing for Smash Bros.

So yeah, I'm excited as all kinds of ****.

batbeg

My favorite joke was the part when the announcer said "But it's not over until the fat lady sings! I'm talking about you Wendy." or something along those lines. Couldn't believe that came from a Nintendo production.

I liked Luigi being in first for the first time ever. Damn, even Nintendo has discarded the year of Luigi as a failure.

Guess they really have retconned the Koopalings at this point. They used to be Bowser's kids, right? Right..? Now they're just "Bowser's Minions" and have even dropped the "Koopa" surname.

Miyamoto said that they were not Bowser's kid, cause he had only one child, Bowser Junior.
Bowser officially refused to acknowledge his children when he had Junior.
I wonder wether they have all the same analyst.

Ansatz

Truly the Mario Galaxy of the 8th gen. Only a 2.5D Zelda U can potentially rival MK8.

I love how they keep adding gameplay elements that build upon previous entries instead of being one time things like Double Dash. Now we have coins, tricks, walls, speed gaining objects, gravity bumps, gliders, underwater, anti blue shell it's just insanity! Day 1

Berordn

On the plus side, Bowser Jr.'s going the way of the Koopalings.

backlot

Wow, an item that can block blue shells, bikes got balanced and you can get a free game. This direct was better than I ever could have expected.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Tournaments seems great!
Are they similar to the well received Mario Golf Tour multiplyaer online modes? I still have to try that game out

Caladrius

Maybe there are secret characters. I highly doubt they revealed every character in the game a month before launch.

I think people are afraid because of what happened with Mario Kart 7.

This game probably hasn't been rushed like 7, but that won't stop people from worrying.

rawktapus

Really good stuff. Baby Rosalina is too cute to get mad at, and I like Pink Gold Peach, but I hope this means that better more unique characters are being saved as unlockable. Hasn't every Mario Kart since Double Dash had unlockable characters?

Also, Pink Gold is a special gold/copper alloy used in a lot of specialized jewelry. Seems appropriate for Peach. I work in the precious metals industry, so I"m going to be smug and annoy you all with that fun fact :p

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Morton has even dropped the Jr part.

-PXG-

I've said it before, but they're going all fucking out with this game. So much content, so much detail, so much polish. Everything looks and sounds incredible. The ONLY disappointing element I can find is the roster. No Dry Bones? No Diddy? Birdo? King Boo? Seriously.

But other than that, this game will be a real treat. I need this shit in my veins. I need it now

Gambit

UK voiceover guy is all sorts of epic.

yes, he was narrating it as if it was Top Gear. All in all, a great Direct.

If this is a sign of what the E3 event will be like, color me excited.

Also, I LOVE Nintendo embracing orchestrated soundtracks more and more

The only things I am pissed about are gimped battle mode and voice chat features, and one item only. Everything else is either satisfactory or exceeds expectations. So do we know every course in the game now?

plank

Yeah unless you want to actually talk to your friends while racing.

Nintendo really needs to get caught up here. The best part about online play for my friends and I is being able to create a party and chat while we play the game. We don't have to listen to others because you can change it to party or game chat.

Are you actually able talk to drivers during real life kart races, would it be relevant in said races? I don't think nothing of real value will be missed with this feature compared to other features the game has to offer.

Odinson

Nintendo is on a roll lately. I loved this stealth direct! The humor, being able to make fun of themselves and their characters is what makes Nintendo... Nintendo. I cant wait to get this and WWHD. This game is beautiful!

Berordn

Maybe there are secret characters. I highly doubt they revealed every character in the game a month before launch.

They did reveal every character in MK7 before launch, though. By November - just about a month before launch, every playable character was listed on the website.

JCX

Wow I was thinking about G&W or WWHD, this makes the choice much easier. I assume Nintendo wants to really hook the new Wii U owners with multiple games.

freakzilla3000

I don't get why they wouldn't "announce" this and get people excited but it seems to have already spread like wild fire so we will see...

START THE TV ADS NINTENDO!

Impressed at online options, MK TV sharing options, voice chat and most of all A FREE GAME.

Holy shit, Nintendo have been on a roll the last couple of days. Keep up this momentum and announce games people actually care about at E3 and people may buy the Wii U yet!

Vidiot

Oh, so there is a battle mode. Just no arenas built specifically for battle mode. :/ Still at least we have elimination rules again! :D

Platy

I am at work ... any confirmed new courses ?

Also.... is it true that we lost Dry Bones and Birdo to .... Metal Peach and Baby Rosalina ???

Kouriozan

Finished watching it, damn those direct lately are all awesome!
Those music! Those tracks! Bowser Castle and Rainbow Road look amazing! Loved the cheesy commentary, and for the first time it was in French!

Keep it up Nintendo, if the E3 "Direct" is like Smash/Tomodachi/Mario Kart 8 one then it'll be awesome.

ink4n3

The game looks great. I'll be on my honeymoon when this comes out but I'm tempted to bring my wii u with for some sweet versus action.

Omzz

yes, he was narrating it as if it was Top Gear. All in all, a great Direct.

If this is a sign of what the E3 event will be like, color me excited.

Also, I LOVE Nintendo embracing orchestrated soundtracks more and more

only thing left is a collab between the top gear people and Nintendo to promote Mario kart 8

I would have preferred Nabbit as the last lightweight new character over Baby Rosalina, who doesn't even exist in any game at all and the game had 4 other babies.

Or Dry Bones would have also worked

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I am at work ... any confirmed new courses ?

Also.... is it true that we lost Dry Bones and Birdo to .... Metal Peach and Baby Rosalina ???

The new courses are Mount Wario and of course Bowser's Castle and Rainbow Road.

Wario Stadium DS, Yoshi's Valley N64 and Sherbet Land GCN for the Retro courses.

prag16

Banned
Baby Rosalina and Metal Peach are just horrific. For those keeping score, we now have:

3 Marios
3 Peaches
2 Luigis
2 Rosalinas
2 Daisies

Enough for a full 12 driver field. -_-

Wensih

No Dry Bones... I am sad...

I hope there's DLC for him, I just want him.

Yeah, it looking more and more likely that our only hope is DLC for Dry Bones. Hopefully they release a Halloween DLC character pack which includes: Dry Bones, Dry Bowser, and King Boo.

Top Bottom