• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Direct now online

Raven77

Are you actually able talk to drivers during real life kart races, would it be relevant in said races? I don't think nothing of real value will be missed with this feature compared to other features the game has to offer.

Well, I can't talk to my friends either in real life when I'm in a war zone, but it sure makes it more fun. And yes, you can talk to your friends when karting, most helmets have microphones built into them for communication. I've honestly never heard anyone make this arguement for no-voice chat before.

It's pretty fun to yell out to a friend as you pass them by, or nail them with a shell, or tell them that you have their kart in your sites and they better watch out, etc.

The most likely real reason is to save on bandwidth.

Berordn

Baby Rosalina and Metal Peach are just horrific. For those keeping score, we now have:

3 Marios
3 Peaches
2 Luigis
2 Rosalinas
2 Daisies

Enough for a full 12 driver field. -_-

I'll take it over 12 Funky Kongs at least.

Wasn't that the Wii Bowser's Castle?

There were some similarities but it's a new track. It's just reusing a lot of the motifs for Bowser's Castle that they introduced in Double Dash. With the three retro courses revealed today we have all 16 confirmed.

edit: Actually, we know all 32 tracks and probably know their order in each cup now. Exciting!

Lol at nerfing the blue shell.

Does anyone have the time points where yoshi valley / mount wario appear? I found the rest of the newly revealed tracks but not sure if I saw these two.

Still nothing on expanded item customization? I saw "Mushrooms only" in the Tournament section of the Direct which isn't a good sign.

Jagsrock

Banned
Only had time to watch the trailer wow,wow,wow,wow! Just incredible the game looks so smooth and the track design is genius. The new rainbow road looks fantastic.oh god waiting a month is gonna be torture.

Kiru

So how would the promotion work if you didn't buy a Wii U yet and maybe will after that promotion period, but you register the game within time on club nintendo ? Like how do you get the free eShop game ?

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Did anyone else see that Space Kart Stage at 25:00?

Has it been confirmed?

It looks so goood

BlackJace

Yeah, the roster is pretty lame. I only stick with a few characters anyway, but multiple copies of characters sucks. Reminds me of what they're doing with the Naruto Storm games lol.

"Over 70 characters!"

>5 Versions of Naruto and Sasuke each.

Did anyone else see that Space Kart Stage at 25:00?

Has it been confirmed?

It looks so goood

That's the new Rainbow road.

Edit: So the random drop of this direct was meant to go along with the early-in-the-morning-TV theme (at least I think), and I just can't get over that. the Tomodachi Direct, Fils-a Mech, and now this, I love what's happening.

Yeah, the roster is pretty lame. I only stick with a few characters anyway, but multiple copies of characters sucks. Reminds me of what they're doing with the Naruto Storm games lol.

"Over 70 characters!"

>5 Versions of Naruto and Sasuke each.

Unlockable Sage Mode Mario incoming.

Man Nintendo is just knocking it out of the park with their videos lately. Starting to get vibes of those video tapes you'd get in the mail from Nintendo Power in the 90s :')

-Setsuna-

Easily one of the best Directs to date, but why is Kosuke Yabuki wearing a bathrobe at work?

suOB34m.jpg

(Not that I'm jealous or anything...)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm still watching the direct right now, but my immediate reactions are:
- The game, visually, looks spectacular
- I'm glad they appear to have divorced stats from characters, so I can play how I want while playing as who I want.
- This is the first time that the format of the Direct feels like it's really gotten in the way of presenting the content. Normally I don't mind the skits or humour because stuff seems to still be presented pretty directly and at a quick clip, but this one drags big-time and there's too much baggage distracting from actually conveying things about the game.

Nudull

Banned
Getting some serious Nintendo Power vibes from Nintendo's videos lately, and I'm loving every second of it. I can't imagine how awesome the Digital Event's going to be.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Just watched the whole thing. This game is looking fantastic. Had to laugh at Baby Rosaline, but I guess I shouldn't make a final judgment on the character roster until we have the game.
Tournaments looked pretty interesting, and you can finally destroy blue shells. I was also pretty happy they dedicated a whole segment to the Time Trial mode.
Can't wait for this game to finally arrive, and now it even comes with a free Monster Hunter.

I actually like this trend of Directs being a bit more goofy and self aware, while being a bit more informative about game mechanics and features. And uh, less Iwata trying to explain game philosophies in slow English for 10 minutes before laboriously explaining a self-explanatory gameplay idea like the audience is five years old.

Mariolee

I was excited when the koopalings were announced, now I'm sad they've seemingly cut so many characters to include them all :(

RIP Bowser Jr, Diddy Kong, Dry Bones, Birdo, King Boo, Funky Kong, Dry Bowser, Wiggler and Honey Queen (;_;)7

If they aren't unlockable, fully expecting them to be DLC.

I actually like this trend of Directs being a bit more goofy and self aware, while being a bit more informative about game mechanics and features. And uh, less Iwata trying to explain game philosophies in slow English for 10 minutes before laboriously explaining a self-explanatory gameplay idea like the audience is five years old.
Yesss much better than Iwata just talking. These directs are on one. Imagine the digital event...

Lunar15

I'm still watching the direct right now, but my immediate reactions are:
- The game, visually, looks spectacular
- I'm glad they appear to have divorced stats from characters, so I can play how I want while playing as who I want.
- This is the first time that the format of the Direct feels like it's really gotten in the way of presenting the content. Normally I don't mind the skits or humour because stuff seems to still be presented pretty directly and at a quick clip, but this one drags big-time and there's too much baggage distracting from actually conveying things about the game.

I agree on the last point. Sakurai's Smash direct set a gold standard in game-specific direct pacing.

Mory Dunz

Character selection in Mario Karts have never really been my concern. Only for Smash.

Now, all we need is an X direct, to free up space for the E3... :)

okay but this one section about kart customization didn't need to have gone on so long and these mario kart history sections could have been their own little retrospective video and not interludes in a video

Davey Cakes

I do have to wonder why prior roster characters aren't absolute shoo-ins.

Dry Bones and Birdo should be obvious inclusions.

And then there are plenty of original characters to pick as well.

The game looks fantastic but obviously I am hoping for further secret characters and/or DLC characters. I just love high variety in games like this.

Baleoce

Was it clear to anyone else whether the "MKTV to YouTube" feature was for just the highlights view, or if you could actually post stuff from the kart perspective?

I don't see it getting much mileage if it's only that highlights thing. But kart perspective would be fantastic. Save me buying a capture card..

Yep, I went back and watched last year's E3 Direct and there was a lot of 'show feature off in trailer, then Iwata re-explains feature using the same footage.'

So how would the promotion work if you didn't buy a Wii U yet and maybe will after that promotion period, but you register the game within time on club nintendo ? Like how do you get the free eShop game ?
According to the European terms and conditions you have until July 31st to register the game, August 30th to get the code (works on any system) and September 30th to use the download code.

Basically if you're getting a Wii U after September you might have to give the code away or let it expire (don't do this :( )

Check the North American terms as timeframes could differ.

corn_fest

Never expected myself to say this but I'm totally going to main Pink Gold Peach.
She seems way more appealing than Metal Mario for some reason.

Watching the NA video, at around 7:00, this person starts speaking, it's terrible, I want to end my own life terrible.

Super stoked for MK8 though! :O

Top Bottom