• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Direct now online

Regarding no battle arenas and character 'clones'...it very obviously points to them running out of development time.

'Please understand' is actually very applicable here; because people are constantly bashing Nintendo for new releases, so they rush to bring you MK8...and if it had gotten delayed, the same people would complain about that too.

Be reasonable. I'm bummed at no battle-mode arena's and hope they get added in the future though.

1up

I really hope there is DLC for this game. I would love more tracks and more characters.

It's the only way I'd have a chance at Wiggler. :(

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
How can Nintendo get the free game deal word out to the mainstream?

Only us game nerds watch these directs.
I think that's why they switched up the Direct formula for this one so it isn't just one guy in front of a white background. I didn't like it so much, but I can see the merits for an average viewer.

Maxrunner

Regarding no battle arenas and character 'clones'...it very obviously points to them running out of development time.

'Please understand' is actually very applicable here; because people are constantly bashing Nintendo for new releases, so they rush to bring you MK8...and if it had gotten delayed, the same people would complain about that too.

Be reasonable. I'm bummed at no battle-mode arena's and hope they get added in the future though.

Are we sure there are no battle arenas?

DrWong

Are we sure there are no battle arenas?

From IGN :

Battle Mode is back, but Nintendo explained that it would be a little different. Instead of arenas, the developers decided to take new and existing courses and re-engineer them for Battle Mode’s frantic style of play. I played a quick match on Moo Moo Meadows, and I consider this was a positive change. But I also though the controls for pulling a U-turn to chase another player could use a little improvement. Battle mode replays can also be edited and shared by Mario Kart TV.

Sponge

Banned
where the fuck is Diddy Kong

who the fuck asked for baby EVERYTHING and palette swaps instead of Diddy Kong

This. There's no Diddy, Birdo, King Boo, Bowser Jr., or Dry Bones anywhere to be seen. That's not even counting stuff like Dry Bowser and Funky which I didn't expect back to begin with.

What is going on? I can only hope Nintendo does DLC because this really bugs me. I don't wanna play as babies and reskins.

what's weird is that 3 more babies and 5 more koopa kids than we needed isn't lazy. Hell, that's a lot of characters that all required a lot of original assets.

I just have absolutely no idea why they chose those 8 over characters that are moderately worth a shit like birdo, diddy, and nabbit.

Toad.T

Banned
T-1000 Peach. Who thought this was a good idea.

Looking forward to the Pink Gold Peach chronicles TV series.

I would love it if Goombella, Fawful, Bombette, Vivian, Prof. E. Gadd, Prince Dreambert, or any of the characters from the Mario Role-Playing series could become playable characters in a future Mario Kart installment.

A lot of those characters don't even need much extra work, model wise. Add a helmet model to your standard Goomba model and just tweak the bob-omb model to add the braid.

wtf5q1k2v.png

I NEED his pyjama suit!

I will say that this game has been getting more hype and attention around social media than I've seen out of a Nintendo game in a long time. I think this is the first time in a long while where they've managed to wow people with a great looking game while also hooking them in for the nostalgia factor. Surely the most hyped Mario Kart game since, like, ever.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
I saw GameXplain's Battle Mode quick preview but if there aren't REAL arenas other than regular courses I'll be real disappointed.

I'd even pay for DLC for extra battle mode tracks/modes (Block Fort or bust)

How can Nintendo get the free game deal word out to the mainstream?

Only us game nerds watch these directs.

TV, internet ads. Plus there's always good word of mouth for most Nintendo games. Both the Smash/E3 announcements were trending on facebook/other outlets yesterday and now it looks like the Mario Kart 8 promotion and direct are doing the same today (at least for me). It seems like Nintendo is taking the promotion of MK8 and SSB4 much more seriously than they have for any other Wii U game.

Baleoce

MKTV only talks about highlights having rewind and slow motion functionality. Nothing about camera perspective.

"Race highlights can also be uploaded to YouTube". I get the impression that it's going to be highlight camera or bust for this. Which means it probably won't get half as much mileage in terms of people posting their best laps and races to YouTube as it would have with the in-kart camera.

That's just a guess of course, it may have the option there somewhere.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
omg I just finished watching the direct, and the online modes are awesome looking! I also loved when they were showing off the customization, all the detail they put into the karts, ikes, and characters is very sexy. and finally.

I dont know if I want windwaker HD or pikmin 3 D:, I think I'll get pikmin 3

MKTV only talks about highlights having rewind and slow motion functionality. Nothing about camera perspective.

"Race highlights can also be uploaded to YouTube". I get the impression that it's going to be highlight camera or bust for this. Which means it probably won't get half as much mileage in terms of people posting their best laps and races to YouTube as it would have with the in-kart camera.

That's just a guess of course, it may have the option there somewhere.

Yeah, hopefully there's an option to upload more complete videos from the gameplay perspective. They've allowed videos for leaderboards for some of their previous Wii U games (Tropical Freeze) so hopefully we see the same feature implemented here for MK8.

wow that Direct was fucking good. Quirky.. funny.. showed off everything. A few people at work walked up and asked whhhaaat? A NEW MARIO KART!!!! WHEN!!

Kouriozan

But this one isn't rushed, or it would have been release late 2013 with Mario 3D World.

baconcow

Has anything been mentioned about the games resolution and frame rate? I noticed the NeoGAF resolution frame rate thread still says unconfirmed 1080p/60 fps, which would be incredible.

But this one isn't rushed, or it would have been release late 2013 with Mario 3D World.

The fact that they didn't have time to create battle mode arenas and we're getting characters like Pink Gold Peach suggests that, yes, it is slightly rushed. It's very polished, but clearly some development time was cut for this release date.

deleted

This is the worst thing that could happen to me with this game. Battle Mode is meat and bones for me and having this change is so bad that I may reconsider buying the game at all.

Everything else looks dope, but they haven't nailed the Battle Mode since the N64 version. I can't be that hard to not fuck up a classic mode now, can it? How the hell did this happen?

Hindl

Has anything been mentioned about the games resolution and frame rate? I noticed the NeoGAF resolution frame rate thread still says unconfirmed 1080p/60 fps, which would be incredible.

Definite 60 FPS, and someone can correct me here but I think it's 720p native upscaled to 1080p. And I'll concede it's a new Bowser's Castle, that area just looks so similar. The Bowser statue upgrade seems a lot like what they've been doing with retro courses. Still looks great. But goddamn.

Rainbow Road...

This is the worst thing that could happen to me with this game. Battle Mode is meat and bones for me and having this change is so bad that I may reconsider buying the game at all.

Everything else looks dope, but they haven't nailed the Battle Mode since the N64 version. I can't be that hard to not fuck up a classic mode now, can it? How the hell did this happen?
Gamexplain said it was as good as the N64 version.

Top Bottom