• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Direct now online

semsei_

Neo Member
okok i've preordered MK8 even though i still don't have a Wii U.
Doesn't anyone know what kind of deal we have in japan (bundle, free games..)? (if we have any)

BowieZ

Banned
The fact that they didn't have time to create battle mode arenas and we're getting characters like Pink Gold Peach suggests that, yes, it is slightly rushed. It's very polished, but clearly some development time was cut for this release date.
IMHO skimping on Battle Mode for all the holy shit stuff they've done is more than enough.

The rest of the game is INCREDIBLE. Absolutely INCREDIBLE.

And they would even deserve more of my money if they had to pump out Battle Tracks as DLC.

EDIT: Current Battle Mode courses are:

Moo Moo Meadows
Dry Dry Desert
Donut Plains 3
Toad's Turnpike
Mario Circuit
Toad Harbour
Sherbet Land
Yoshi Valley

Gamexplain said it was as good as the N64 version.

I still have pretty high hopes for the battle mode as it seems the proper system of three balloons and you're dead has returned. Not too sure on using slightly altered looped tracks as the stages yet, but I'm sure if that's an issue they'll release actual battle stages in the future as free/paid DLC assuming they're not in the game already.

Timeaisis

Holy shit at those new tracks. Bowser's Castle and the new Rainbow Road look incredible. As does the waterfall track (forgot it's name).

Cautiously suspicious of battle mode. It'd definitely be fair to say that about 50% of my time spent playing MK64 in multiplayer was spent in battle mode, so I'm hoping it measures up. Really want a proper online battle mode.

the music is super well made for sure, but for some reason i'm not really feeling the soundtrack as a whole. the instrumentation just kinda seems a bit boring for whatever reason. maybe i'll warm up to it more once the game is out.

BowieZ

Banned
OMG @ the complete music for Cloudtop Cruise!

It's like a brand new Gusty Garden theme plus a remixed section of the original!

AdanVC

Guys, help! There's so much new info of Mario Kart (even a freaking 35 minute long Nintendo Direct, I say WOAAH!) I don't know if I should watch all of that or remain in blackout until May 30th!! Hnnghhhhjkdhasd

ffdgh

Guys, help! There's so much new info of Mario Kart (even a freaking 35 minute long Nintendo Direct, I say WOAAH!) I don't know if I should watch all of that or remain in blackout until May 30th!! Hnnghhhhjkdhasd

Forget the blackout. Enjoy the video lol.

BM8

Neo Member
Couple of small details i thought are great. The fact that you'll be switching between vehicle types for best times, depending on the track. As well as gaining stamps for beating devs best track time. Very neat achievement system.

The music is in incredible.

That bowser track looks amazing!

okok i've preordered MK8 even though i still don't have a Wii U.
Doesn't anyone know what kind of deal we have in japan (bundle, free games..)? (if we have any)
I don't know about a bundle but we don't get free games. We get to choose two games to "try" for a month. So I guess we temporarily get two free games. Weird, huh? I'll be going with Pikmin and W101.

Just realized that for Worldwide at least, only a random selection of 3 courses can be chosen at the voting stage which helps against spam.

Albo

While lack of battle areas is disappointing, surely it can't be hard to re-engineer an existing track into one? Just close off most of it lol, but then I watched GameXplain's footage of moo moo meadows which showed the whole track as far as I could tell which doesn't make sense... I think we should wait to see the rest though, and there's always a chance for DLC if nintendo feels this mode is lacking.

I know it's likely not final, but this roster is abysmal. A completely non-nonsensical baby addition and another metal palette swap? Come the fuck on. Where's the other veterans??
And where are the UNIQUE new drivers?

Linkhero1

I'm not sure how I feel about battle mode taking place on regular stages. Seems like a cheap way out of actually making more stages. I was hoping to see a remake of block fort or skyscraper in battle mode.

mf luder

I'm not sure about the ability to come back as a ghost in battle mode and still hit the other players, I will have to wait to play it to see if it breaks the experience, proof is in the pudding I suppose.

I know it's likely not final, but this roster is abysmal. A completely non-nonsensical baby addition and another metal palette swap? Come the fuck on. Where's the other veterans??
And where are the UNIQUE new drivers?
Saved for DLC so that the game isn't a fall release I guess?

Either that or the reasoning was to appeal to oldskool gamers and the Wii crowd. Wii had a lot of babies, and that ended well. Oldskool crowd gets all the Koopalings, who everyone's always excited for.

Insaniac

Okay what I don't understand is when bumping into other karts during anti-gravity, do you both get a boost? How are you supposed to gain an advantage this way?

AdanVC

Honestly my only downside is not seeing Nabbit anywhere on this game :'( Maybe he would come on DLC or probably in a last minute announcement before May 30th. Fingers crossed for that!

Forget the blackout. Enjoy the video lol.

True omg! Watching it as we speak! Blackouts just get me anxious and mad tbh hahah.

Okay what I don't understand is when bumping into other karts during anti-gravity, do you both get a boost? How are you supposed to gain an advantage this way?

One of the two players will be in the better position/traveling the better trajectory to get ahead.

Top Bottom