• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Direct now online

deleted

Battle Mode is dead to me. They nail the mechanics, and then do this with the courses? lol...

I can't believe it either. They could have just used the course assets to build the arenas, but the little video on the UK homepage makes it seem like they will be the tracks and almost unaltered at that.

play_04.jpg

please make this the only screenshot in the MK8 OT, tia

Linkhero1

Battle Mode is dead to me. They nail the mechanics, and then do this with the courses? lol...

Sad they haven't topped N64 block fortress (although the arena with the warp pipes was fun in DD). Now, they aren't even trying.

Yep

I'm hoping for some DLC with actual stages, but it upsets me that it's not a day one thing. I guess MK64 will still be played until they can get some decent battle stages.

DaBoss

DLC, maybe...?
Hopefully. If the option for normal Battle Mode courses were there, then this option wouldn't be bad at all, but it seems there is no option.
Ehh...they DID add all eight Koopa kids.
That makes it worse lol.

Hoping that there are unlockable characters. I really don't see why they don't want to keep any surprises regarding the courses and characters.

Now secret courses is a stretch, but secret characters are hopefully a thing.

gaheris

Too bad about the battle arenas but given the deadline I can't say I'm surprised, this is when DLC would be awesome.

I thought that battle mode was going to be a race with balloons so you could potentially get rid of a player altogether if you hit them 3 times, but its just old battle mode on tracks. That's kinda weird.

plank

Apparently you can have private races as oppose to public ones and set you own rules and such. How will Gaf be set up? will it have it one private or public races? Or will individuals setup there own race here?

Niwa

I got almost all of those games but Sonic, Mario & Sonic, Game & Wario and that karaoke, which one should I get? Σ( ° △ °|||)︴

DJIzana

Wow clips of all the tracks and also Battle Mode are up on the UK site:

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Wii-U/Mario-Kart-8-765384.html

I was curious about this! From the video, did they change how battle mode works now? It seems like you're on a full course now instead of a custom designed battle mode course. I know that it doesn't appear you race as you see people going in the opposite direction but I'm curious as to how this will work...

BM8

Neo Member
Too bad about the battle arenas but given the deadline I can't say I'm surprised, this is when DLC would be awesome.

Yep.

Was disappointed to see its just a race track. Apparently they are modified, so thats something. I wont knock it til i try it, but it just seems odd.

Luckly, everything else looks and sounds fantastic.

I got almost all of those games but Sonic, Mario & Sonic, Game & Wario and that karaoke, which one should I get? Σ( ° △ °|||)︴

Id say go for Sonic lost world or Wario.

Penguin

I was curious about this! From the video, did they change how battle mode works now? It seems like you're on a full course now instead of a custom designed battle mode course. I know that it doesn't appear you race as you see people going in the opposite direction but I'm curious as to how this will work...

Doesn't seem to be the full course

But a looped section from each of them.

Just curious if any elevated ground or just circles

Sendou

Exactly like that as far as I can see. Battle tracks are essentially race tracks with slight modifications (like changed the location of obstacles, enemies or item boxes).

Wow awesome direct. Ninty definitely trying to maintain the hype. Also surprised to see voice chat confirmed, but is it just for pre-game lobby and not in-game? I want to hear people rage during the game. I guess I'm also a little disappointed with the roster, but I think DLC characters are highly likely for this game.

MicH

My god, the music in this game is just too good. Galaxy-levels of good. Nintendo needs to orchestrate every game from now on

Azure J

OK, so I just got back in and watched everything. Holy shit Mario Kart is progressive as FUCK for Nintendo.

Also, fuck their development studio, my new dream is to spend a day in Nintendo's recording studio. Hot DAMN.

Interesting little presentation. All I can say is I sincerely hope that those 30 characters aren't the full roster, because it's a pretty bad one if so!

Best case scenario those 30 characters are the starters and the unlockables pile up on top of that...

I'm really surprised they went all out with the soundtrack, considering Mario Kart music hasn't been great since MK64! I'm loving the soundtrack so far.

Teletraan1

Banned
I haven't liked a Mario Kart since 64. This was pretty exciting though. The format of this direct was a little cheesy but it did hype me up for the game when I had absolutely none before.

I'd like to go back in time and show this game to my younger self to see the reaction. Also to give myself vital information about the future that would alter the course of my life and the world as we know it.

reKon

Banned
Looks like a lot of fun. I'll eventually pick up a Wii U someday seeing that it has BC and it's a much much better console than the Wii was

Top Bottom